Customize

The Smoking Gun: Trump, The Least Charitable Billionaire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hushpuppy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. How many times has she brushed away his hand in public?
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

Michael Cohen, Donald Trump's former lawyer, is now a Democrat | Axios

Quote:

Michael Cohen, President Trump's former attorney who until June served as the Republican Party’s deputy finance chair, today changed his party registration from Republican to Democrat, according to a knowledgeable source.

Between the lines: Cohen went online around noon to the Albany-based New York State board of elections to make the change, according to the source. The move fits a pattern of Cohen publicly breaking from the man for whom he once said he’d take “a bullet.”

Keep in mind that Cohen has been signaling his break with Trump for months now, after Trump didn't lift a finger to defend him from charges of campaign finance violations over Cohen's payments of hush money to keep two women quiet about their affairs with Trump.
    • In his guilty plea in August, Cohen implicated Trump by suggesting that the then-presidential candidate directed him to keep the affairs quiet.
    • His quote to George Stephanopoulos in July: “I put family and country first.”
    • The source with knowledge of the situation told Axios that Cohen’s party switch is “consistent with what he told Stephanopoulos on July 2, that constituted his declaration of independence two days before Independence Day, with the key message to Stephanopoulos that now I put my family and my country first.”
    The other side: Cohen's move is sure to be treated with skepticism by Trump's allies. They've already been saying that Cohen is simply being opportunistic now that he’s headed for prison and is exiled from Trumpworld. His sentencing is scheduled for December.

Continued at https://www.axios.com/michael-cohen-becomes-democrat-a73c59a5-2000-4f8f-b4d5-29d66deda15c.html
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

Trump's lawyers preparing answers to Mueller's questions | CNN

Excerpt:

The questions are focused on matters related to the investigation of possible collusion between Trump associates and Russians seeking to meddle in the 2016 election, the sources said. Trump's lawyers are preparing written responses, in part relying on documents previously provided to the special counsel, the sources said.

More at https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/11/politics/trump-lawyers-preparing-answers-mueller-questions/
  4. Disambiguation Global Moderator

This becomes one more example of Democrats being criminals.
  5. Disambiguation Global Moderator

6. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Trump and Kayne had a meeting, Kayne summed it up in 10 minutes.

“Here are some ideas West raised:
    Bring Trump factories and Yeezy ideation centers to Chicago.
    His MAGA hat makes him feel like a superhero.
    Make the dopest ... no the "flyest" cars.
    School is boring. Kids should play basketball while they are doing math.
    Time doesn't exist.
    Stop worrying about the future. We only have today.
    Trump and Colin Kaepernick wearing "Make America Great" hats at the Super Bowl.
    Stop-and-frisk is bad.
    The solution to police brutality is love.
    Something about an Iplane.
    Opening up industries and tax breaks.
    Something about liberals distracting black people by focusing on racism.
    So, what were the goals here?”
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

Turks tell U.S. officials they have audio and video recordings that support conclusion Khashoggi was killed | The Washington Post

Quote:

The Turkish government has told U.S. officials that it has audio and video recordings that prove Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul this month, according to U.S. and Turkish officials.

The recordings show that a Saudi security team detained Khashoggi in the consulate after he walked in Oct. 2 to obtain an official document before his upcoming wedding, then killed him and dismembered his body, the officials said.

The audio recording in particular provides some of the most persuasive and gruesome evidence that the Saudi team is responsible for Khashoggi’s death, the officials said.

“The voice recording from inside the embassy lays out what happened to Jamal after he entered,” said one person with knowledge of the recording who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss highly sensitive intelligence.

“You can hear his voice and the voices of men speaking Arabic,” this person said. “You can hear how he was interrogated, tortured and then murdered.”

A second person briefed on the recording said men could be heard beating Khashoggi.

The journalist has had long-standing ties to the Saudi royal family, but has written critically of the current government and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The existence of such evidence would explain why Turkish officials were quick to accuse Saudi Arabia of killing Khashoggi. But Turkish officials are wary of releasing the recordings, fearing they could divulge how the Turks spy on foreign entities in their country, the officials said.

It’s not clear that U.S. officials have seen the footage or listened to the audio, but Turkish officials have described their contents to their American counterparts.

Saudi officials have denied any involvement in the disappearance of Khashoggi, saying he left the consulate shortly after entering.

Continued at https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...9a119e-cd88-11e8-920f-dd52e1ae4570_story.html

Virgin’s Richard Branson, tech investor Steve Case distance themselves from Saudi Arabia over alleged Khashoggi killing | The Washington Post

Quote:

Western business leaders, including Virgin Group founder Richard Branson and tech investor Steve Case, on Thursday distanced themselves from Saudi Arabia over the disappearance and alleged murder of Saudi dissident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

Their statements are a setback for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who has portrayed himself as a reformer intent on modernizing Saudi society and opening it to more foreign investment. The Turkish government has told U.S. officials it has audio and video recordings proving that Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul this month.

Branson said he was suspending his work as a director of two Saudi tourism projects, and suspending discussions with the kingdom’s sovereign wealth fund about a proposed investment in the space companies Virgin Galactic and Virgin Orbit.

“I had high hopes for the current government in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its leader Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and it is why I was delighted to accept two directorships in the tourism projects around the Red Sea,” Branson said in a blog post Thursday.

“What has reportedly happened in Turkey around the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, if proved true, would clearly change the ability of any of us in the West to do business with the Saudi Government. We have asked for more information from the authorities in Saudi and to clarify their position in relation to Mr. Khashoggi.”

Continued at https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...-saudi-arabia-over-alleged-khashoggi-killing/

Trump’s $110 billion in arms sales to Saudi Arabia: still fake | The Washington Post

Excerpt:

This is an example of a politician believing his own propaganda. The $110 billion-figure is not real and unlikely to come to fruition – and even if it did, it represents sales far in the future. The president should scale down the use of the number, especially when talking about a diplomatic crisis today.

More at https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...s-billion-arms-sales-saudi-arabia-still-fake/
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Conservative Pundit Barbies | I Love You, America on Hulu

"Meet Brambi Streeter, the latest in a line of near-identical blonde conservative pundits. Starring: Sarah Silverman as herself; Lawrence O'Donnell as himself; Milana Vayntrub as Brambi Streeter; Steve Tom as Scientist #1; Raj Desai as Scientist #2; and Andrea Anderson as Retired Brambi Clone."
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Trump May Not Be Crazy, But the Rest of Us Are Getting There Fast | POLITICO Magazine

Psychologists’ couches are filling up as Americans seek relief from Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Excerpt:

Jennifer Panning, a psychologist from Evanston, Illinois, calls the phenomenon “Trump Anxiety Disorder.” She wrote a chapter on it in a collection by mental health experts called “The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump.” In an interview, she said the disorder is marked by such symptoms as “increased worry, obsessive thought patterns, muscle tension and obsessive preoccupation with the news.”

A study from the market research firm Galileo also found that, in the first 100 days after Trump’s election, 40 percent of people said they “can no longer have open and honest conversations with some friends or family members.” Nearly a quarter of respondents said their political views have hurt their personal relationships.

More at https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/10/12/donald-trump-anxiety-disorder-pscyhologists-221305
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Trump met with the American preacher who was released by Turkey....and asked him who he voted for.
  11. Pro-Trump Gang Seen In Footage Assaulting Anti-Fascist Protesters In Manhattan
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ult-gavin-mcinnes_us_5bc20d60e4b0bd9ed55a96ee

12. The Moth Member

7F9B4384-697A-4875-B2C1-99943B064A8B.jpeg
    Here they are all hyped up flashing White Power signs

But wait a minute. Are all of those guys white??
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The Moth Member

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...ollone-as-new-white-house-counsel-sources-say
    Trump has found his new bagman and sitting duck.
    “White House counsel but over a short period of time I will,” Trump said. “Pat’s a great guy, I don’t want to say, but he’s a great guy. He’s a very talented and he’s a very good man, but I don’t want to say yet.”
    Why does Trump do this delayed acknowledgment? Sense of theater?
  14. DeathHamster Member

Nope. There are a lot of people who just don't seem to get the whole idea of white nationalism.

There are gay, Jewish, brown, black neo-Nazis, or supporters. Maybe they hope that would save them, but their friends will suddenly never have heard them, and they'll be classified.

Camp-Inmate-Markings-700x575.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ^(Yet) Another great post, DH. I have never come across that evil little Nazi classification system laid out like this, despite so many years of reading about the Third Reich and its disgusting, inhuman practices.

We all have our prejudices, and there will always be populist politicians around to proclaim them a virtue.

But they're not. They are what leads us to annihilation.
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

Trump suggests 'rogue killers' may be involved in disappearance of journalist Khashoggi | ABC News

Quote:

President Donald Trump told reporters that "rogue killers" may be involved in the disappearance of independent journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi citizen who has been living in the U.S.

The president's comments Monday morning came after he spoke to Saudi Arabia's King Salman, who, Trump said, "denies any knowledge" about Khashoggi's disappearance.

"The king firmly denied any knowledge of it,” Trump said to the press after his phone call with the Saudi king. “He didn't really know, maybe, I don't want to get into his mind but it sounded to me like maybe these could have been rogue killers, who knows?”

Pressed on whether he believed King Salman’s denials, the president wouldn’t say.

“All I can do is report what he told me. He told me in a very firm way that they had no knowledge of it. He said it very strongly,” Trump said. “His denial to me could not have been stronger, that he had no knowledge. It sounded like he and also the crown prince [Mohanmmed bin Salman] had no knowledge.”

Continued at https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...nowledge-missing-journalist/story?id=58502802

Saudi Arabia | Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

"Following the alarming disappearance of a Saudi journalist and political dissident, John Oliver examines America's uncomfortably comfortable relationship with Saudi Arabia."

Jamal Khashoggi: Saudis preparing to admit that journalist was killed, sources say | CNN

Quote:

The Saudis are preparing a report that will acknowledge that Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's death was the result of an interrogation that went wrong, one that was intended to lead to his abduction from Turkey, according to two sources.

One source says the report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved will be held responsible.

Continued at https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/middleeast/saudi-khashoggi-death-turkey/
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Elizabeth Warren...He promised a million dollars to “your favorite chairity” if she had a DNA test that said she was Indian. Now he says he didn’t say that. Predictable.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 3 hours ago
    “Federal Judge throws out Stormy Danials lawsuit versus Trump. Trump is entitled to full legal fees.” @FoxNews Great, now I can go after Horseface and her 3rd rate lawyer in the Great State of Texas. She will confirm the letter she signed! She knows nothing about me, a total con!

Michael Avenatti‏ @MichaelAvenatti 3 hours ago
    Michael Avenatti Retweeted Donald J. Trump
    You are a disgusting misogynist and an embarrassment to the United States. Bring everything you have, because we are going to demonstrate to the world what a complete shyster and liar you are. How many other women did you cheat on your wife with while you had a baby at home?

Michael Avenatti‏ @MichaelAvenatti 3 hours ago
    .@realDonaldTrump - tens of millions of Americans are tired of your fraud, lies, and corruption. They are equally tired of your attacks on women, especially the ones who you have had sex with while cheating on your wives. We (and the UN) are laughing AT YOU, not with you. #Basta

Michael Avenatti‏ @MichaelAvenatti 2 hours ago
    Michael Avenatti Retweeted Stormy Daniels
    Don’t mess with @StormyDaniels. #MarcoWasRight

Stormy Daniels‏ @StormyDaniels 3 hours ago
    Stormy Daniels Retweeted Donald J. Trump
    Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present your president. In addition to his...umm...shortcomings, he has demonstrated his incompetence, hatred of women and lack of self control on Twitter AGAIN! And perhaps a penchant for bestiality. Game on, Tiny.

Michael Avenatti‏ @MichaelAvenatti 1 hour ago
    Below please find a statement just issued regarding Donald Trump's tweet of this morning.
    DppPkdeUcAA_8I-.jpg
    Michael Avenatti‏ @MichaelAvenatti 37 minutes ago
    Michael Avenatti Retweeted Harris Democrats
    Looking forward to being back in Texas tonight at this great event for the @harrisdemocrats. I will be addressing the outrageous comments made by Trump earlier today about my client, as well as the dumpster fire that is his presidency. #Basta

Michael Avenatti‏ @MichaelAvenatti 10 minutes ago
    This is rich on so many levels. If Michael Cohen, who recently pled to 8 felonies and was Trump's lawyer for 10+ yrs, is a "first rate lawyer" and @maggieNYT, who won a Pulitzer, is a "third rate reporter," I am ecstatic I was placed in the "third rate" category. #Basta
    DppitViU4AAWosp.jpg
    Michael Avenatti responds to Trump's 'horseface' tweet | CNN

"Michael Avenatti, the lawyer for Stormy Daniels, reacts to President Donald Trump's tweet in which he refers to Daniels as a "horseface," and threatened to "go after" her."

Michael Avenatti Is Making Concrete Moves to Run for President in 2020 Against Trump

https://www.thedailybeast.com/michael-avenatti-is-making-concrete-2020-moves-behind-the-scenes
    • Like Like x 2
  20. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

Michael Cohen meets with prosecutors investigating Trump's family business, charity | CNN

Quote:

Michael Cohen and his attorney met Wednesday with a group of state and federal law enforcement officials investigating various aspects of President Donald Trump's family business and charitable organization, according to people familiar with the meeting.

The group, which included the federal prosecutors from the US Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York who charged Cohen in August and officials from the New York Attorney General's office, met at the Midtown New York City office of Cohen's attorney, Guy Petrillo, these people said.

CNN observed Cohen leaving Petrillo's office building Wednesday afternoon. Assistant US Attorney Tom McKay, the lead prosecutor on the Cohen case, had entered the building earlier in the day.

The purpose of the meeting wasn't immediately clear, but both offices are continuing to investigate cases that relate to Trump entities and with which Cohen had professional involvement.

Representatives for both the attorney general's office and the US attorney's office declined to comment. Petrillo didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The meeting comes as Cohen, Trump's former personal attorney, has spent hours huddling with prosecutors from the office of special counsel Robert Mueller. Cohen's cooperation with investigators could help reduce the sentence he's set to receive December 12 for the crimes to which he pleaded guilty in New York. Cohen has said privately a reduced sentence is not his motivation.

In recent days, Cohen and Trump have traded public barbs, with Cohen touting his recent allegiance with the Democratic Party on social media and Trump saying Tuesday in an interview with the Associated Press that Cohen was "lying" when he indicated during his guilty plea, under oath, that Trump had directed him to break the law by instructing Cohen to make payments to silence two women who claimed affairs with Trump.

Trump has denied those claims, and in the AP interview he described Cohen as "a PR person who did small legal work, very small legal work."

"He wasn't in trouble for what he did for me; he was in trouble for what he did for other people," Trump said. "He represented me very little. It's a very low level. And what he was is also a public relations person."

In response to Trump's interview comments, another attorney for Cohen, Lanny Davis, said on Twitter that Cohen "acknowledged and took responsibility for @realDonaldTrump @POTUS bad behavior. Trump calling anyone a #liar is a compliment!"

Continued at https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/17/politics/michael-cohen-prosecutors-meeting/
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Disambiguation Global Moderator

23. The Wrong Guy Member

Pump and Trump

Donald Trump claims he only licensed his name for real estate projects developed by others. But an investigation of a dozen Trump deals shows deep family involvement in projects that often involved deceptive practices.

By Heather Vogell, ProPublica, with Andrea Bernstein and Meg Cramer, WNYC, and Peter Elkind, ProPublica, October 17, 2018

Quote:

Since Donald Trump’s fortunes came surging back with the success of “The Apprentice” 14 years ago, his deals have often been scrutinized for the large number of his partners who have ventured to the very edges of the law, and sometimes beyond. Those associates have included accused money launderers, alleged funders of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard and a felon who slashed someone in the face with a broken margarita glass.

Trump and his company have typically countered by saying they were merely licensing his name on these real estate projects in exchange for a fee. They weren’t the developers or in any way responsible.
    But an eight-month investigation by ProPublica and WNYC reveals that the post-millennium Trump business model is different from what has been previously reported. The Trumps were typically way more than mere licensors or bystanders in their often-troubled deals. They were deeply involved in these projects. They helped mislead investors and buyers — and they profited handsomely from it.

Patterns of deceptive practices occurred in a dozen deals across the globe, as the business expanded into international projects, and the Trumps often participated. One common pattern, visible in more than half of those transactions, was a tendency to misstate key sales numbers.

In interviews and press conferences, Ivanka Trump gave false sales figures for projects in Mexico’s Baja California; Panama City, Panama; Toronto and New York’s SoHo neighborhood. These statements weren’t just the legendary Trump hype; they misled potential buyers about the viability of the developments.

Another pattern: Donald Trump repeatedly misled buyers about the amount (or existence) of his ownership in projects in Tampa, Florida; Panama; Baja and elsewhere. For a tower planned in Tampa, for example, Trump told a local paper in 2005 that his ownership would be less than 50 percent: “But it’s a substantial stake. I recently said I’d like to increase my stake but when they’re selling that well they don’t let you do that.” In reality, Trump had no ownership stake in the project.

The Trumps often made money even when projects failed. And when they tanked, the Trumps simply ignored their prior claims of close involvement, denied any responsibility and walked away.

The cycle is exemplified in Panama City, where the Trumps were involved in a project to build a massive tower and complex known as the Trump Ocean Club. The project’s unfortunate turns included bankruptcy, then, years later, the forcible ejection of the Trump Organization from managing the hotel.

There, as elsewhere, the Trump Organization disclaimed responsibility. It emphasized that it had merely licensed the Trump name to developers who handled everything from construction to marketing. “The Trump Organization was not the owner, developer or seller of the Trump Ocean Club Panama project,” it said in a statement last year. “Because of its limited role, the company was not responsible for the financing of the project and had no involvement in the sale of units.”

That was false. For starters, Trump arranged financing — his promised commission: $2.2 million or more — by bringing in investment bank Bear Stearns, which issued the bonds that paid for the Panama project’s construction.

Trump touted himself as a “partner” of the developer. His daughter Ivanka briefly boasted that she had personally sold 40 units. (A broker on the project said he couldn’t remember her selling even one.) Meanwhile, Ivanka told a journalist at the time that “over 90 percent” of the Panama units had sold — and at prices five times as high as comparable buildings. Both statements were untrue.

Not only were the Panama sales figures inflated, but many “purchases” turned out to be an illusion. That was no coincidence. The building’s financing depended on obtaining advance commitments from buyers, often before concrete had started pouring. But in between the sale of the bonds in 2007 and 2013, the year the building went bankrupt, buyers of 458 units in the 1,000-unit building abandoned their purchase contracts. Those buyers forfeited more than $50 million in deposits, and they never took possession of finished units. Given that the “buyers” were often shadowy shell companies or other paper entities, it was nearly impossible to discern who the actual purchasers were, let alone why they backed out.

Trump licensed his name for an initial fee of $1 million. But that was just the beginning of the revenue streams, a lengthy and varied assortment that granted him a piece of everything from sales of apartment units to a cut of minibar sales, and was notable for the myriad ways in which both success and failure triggered payments to him.

Consider the final accounting: In the wake of the project’s bankruptcy, a 50 percent default rate and his company’s expulsion from managing the hotel, Donald Trump walked away with between $30 million and $55 million.

The Trump Organization did not respond to a long list of questions about its transactions. The White House didn’t have a comment.

Trump’s licensing strategy originated with his early-2000s comeback, as “The Apprentice” propelled him to international TV stardom and restored luster to a reputation tarnished by multiple bankruptcies. As Trump put it in one promotional video during that period, “When the first season of ‘The Apprentice’ finally finished shooting, I was able to get back to my core business, real estate, and I’ve made some really incredible deals.” That strategy is still playing out today. The Trump Organization, which pledged not to launch new projects during the Trump presidency, is aggressively pursuing existing ones, including in the Dominican Republic, Indonesia and India.

Continued at https://features.propublica.org/trump-inc-podcast/trump-family-business-panama-city-khafif/

Here Are the Trump Projects Where Ivanka and Her Dad Misled Buyers

Read the Trumps’ false statements — and what the actual facts were.

by Katherine Sullivan and Heather Vogell, ProPublica, October 17, 2018

https://www.propublica.org/article/...ojects-where-ivanka-and-her-dad-misled-buyers
    • Like Like x 1
  24. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Trump more involved in stopping FBI HQ move than previously known, emails show | CNN

Quote:

President Donald Trump was more instrumental than previously known in scrapping plans to move the FBI headquarters out of Washington to the DC suburbs, according to newly released internal government emails.

The decision could have financial benefits for the President, whose own hotel is located a block away, critics say.

The documents were released Thursday by House Democrats in a letter to General Services Administrator Emily Murphy that suggests she misled Congress about the President's involvement.

"New documents provided to the Oversight Committee indicate that President Trump met personally with you, the FBI, and White House officials on January 24, 2018, where he was directly involved with the decision to abandon the long-term relocation plan and instead move ahead with the more expensive proposal to construct a new building on the same site, and thereby prevent Trump Hotel competitors from acquiring the land," states the letter by Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings, the top Democrat on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, and other senior Democrats.

<snipped>

"Many years before becoming President, Donald Trump expressed interest in the FBI headquarters moving out of Washington, D.C. so he could acquire the land on Pennsylvania Avenue and redevelop the property, which is directly across the street from the Trump International Hotel. However, after he was sworn in as President—and became ineligible as a federal employee to obtain the property—he reportedly became 'dead opposed' to the government selling the property, which would have allowed commercial developers to compete directly with the Trump Hotel," Cummings and his colleagues wrote.

More at https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/18/politics/trump-fbi-building/
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Trump has a very sick and twisted set of values.
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

Justice Dept. charges Russian woman with interference in midterm elections | The Washington Post

Quote:

The Justice Department announced Friday it had charged a Russian woman who prosecutors say conspired to interfere with the 2018 U.S. election, marking the first criminal case that accuses a foreign national of interfering in the upcoming midterms.

Elena Khusyaynova, 44, was charged with conspiracy to defraud the United States. Prosecutors said she managed the finances of “Project Lakhta,” a foreign influence operation they said was designed “to sow discord in the U.S. political system” by pushing arguments and misinformation online about a host of divisive political issues, including immigration, the Confederate flag, gun control and National Football League protests during the national anthem.

The charges against Khusyaynova came just as the Office of the Director of National Intelligence warned that it was concerned about “ongoing campaigns” by Russia, China and Iran to interfere with the upcoming midterm elections and the 2020 race — an ominous message just weeks before voters head to the polls.

[Read the charges against Elena Khusyaynova]

Prosecutors said the sophisticated campaign Khusyaynova was a part of “did not exclusively adopt one ideological viewpoint” but instead tried to push incendiary positions on various political controversies on social media platforms. The Russians involved, prosecutors said, created fake personas and spread their divisive messages on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The group attempted to sow conflict along racial lines and sometimes advocated positions that directly opposed each other, apparently agnostic to whom they supported as long as it turned Americans against one another, prosecutors said.

For example, in relaying how to discuss an August 2017 story about special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, one operation participant said Mueller should be termed “a puppet of the establishment” whose work was “damaging to the country,” according to prosecutors. But later that year, another operation member tweeted: “If Trump fires Robert Mueller, we have to take to the streets in protest. Our democracy is at stake.”

The group took similarly cynical positions on U.S. politicians. While one account said President Trump “deserves a Nobel Peace Prize” for agreeing to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, another predicted Trump “might not even be president by then.” One tweet encouraged voters to donate to a political action committee aiming to unseat Senate Democrats Tammy Baldwin (Wis.), Claire McCaskill (Mo.) and Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), as well as House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.)

As a reporter tried to ask about the charges Friday, Trump interjected: “Had nothing to do with my campaign. You know, all of the hackers and all of the — everybody that you see, nothing to do with my campaign. If the hackers — a lot of them probably like Hillary Clinton better than me. Now they do. Now they do.”

He added, “We’ve done a lot to protect the elections coming up.”

Those involved in the conspiracy, prosecutors said, would analyze U.S. news articles and advise how to draft messages about those stories. For example, before his death in August, operation participants advised that Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) should be branded “an old geezer who has lost it,” and they said House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) should be portrayed as “a complete and absolute nobody.”

“The strategic goal of this alleged conspiracy, which continues to this day, is to sow discord in the U.S. political system and to undermine faith in our democratic institutions,” said G. Zachary Terwilliger, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.

Facebook, which owns Instagram, said in a statement: “Combatting election interference is a task that requires cooperation from government and private industry.”

Twitter declined to comment.

The messages spread widely on the platforms; prosecutors say one Facebook page reached over 1.3 million people, while several of the Twitter accounts had tens of thousands of followers.

Continued at https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...973a7a-d3b4-11e8-b2d2-f397227b43f0_story.html
    • Like Like x 1
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

Saudi Arabia claims Khashoggi was killed in a fight, contrary to other accounts | MSNBC
    • Saudi Arabia says dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi died in a fight at its consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.
    • Its account contradicts its own earlier claim that Khashoggi left shortly after arriving the consulate.
    • Previous media reports, citing Turkish officials, said Khashoggi was tortured, killed and dismembered.
    Quote:

Missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead, Saudi Arabia's general prosecutor said early Saturday morning local time.

The government said that Khashoggi got into a fight with the people he met at the consulate in Istanbul, Turkey. The kingdom alleged that Khashoggi died in that clash.

That explanation counters multiple reports of how Khashoggi died. Turkish officials told The New York Times that it has audio evidence which proves Khashoggi was tortured, killed and subsequently dismembered by a hit team of Saudi agents.

It also contradicts the Saudi government's earlier account of events. Officials previously told reporters that the dissident journalist left the consulate shortly after he arrived.

The announcement comes more than two weeks after Khashoggi was last seen in public, entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. Khashoggi was a frequent critic of Saudi Arabia's royal family and wrote columns for The Washington Post.

The kingdom also fired Deputy Chief of General Intelligence Ahmad bin Hassan Asiri and royal court advisor Abdullah Al-Qahtani. The kingdom also said a committee would be formed to restructure its intelligence agency under the supervision of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, "to modernize its regulations and define its powers precisely."

On Thursday, The New York Times reported that Saudi officials close to the crown prince planned on blaming Asiri for Khashoggi's death. The Times said by making Asiri a scapegoat, the government could help shield the crown prince from blame.

Through its state press, the kingdom said it has detained 18 Saudi nationals after preliminary investigations linked them to the case.

Saudi Arabia said it "is taking the necessary measures to clarify the circumstances in the case of Saudi citizen Jamal Khashoggi" and that "all those involved will be brought to justice."

Continued at https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/19/sau...led-after-a-fight-broke-out-in-consulate.html

Jamal Khashoggi is dead, Saudi Arabian state television confirms | The Guardian

Last paragraph:

Samantha Power, former US ambassador to the United Nations, said in a tweet: “They don’t get it. Shifting from bald-face lies (‘Khashoggi left consulate’) to faux condemnation (of a ‘rogue operation’) to claiming the wolf will credibly investigate what he did to the hen … will convince nobody.”

More at https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-dead-saudi-arabian-state-television-confirms
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Disambiguation Global Moderator

“F-bombs and a storm-out by Trump's top staff as tensions rise over border policies”

In brief- Bolton and Kelly are at odds over the immigration policy. The number of border crossings are up remarkably, Bolton blames Kelly Kelly says Bolton doesn’t understand the border. Bolton says that Kelly and his pick Nielsen are screwing it up. Kelly said “Fucking”repeatedly during this discussion and left the White House saying “I’m out of here”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...-out-among-trump-s-top-staff-tensions-n922151
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Disambiguation Global Moderator

“One of Khashoggi's suspected killers reportedly died in a car crash on return to Saudi Arabia”
  31. DeathHamster Member

Well well well...

A chapter of the Oath Keepers, Oath Keepers United, managed to get charity status, donations deductible.

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_va/08330631
    https://www.erieri.com/apps/Form990Finder/Details/Index?EIN=830769850

The part that really stinks is that they were incorporated June 22, 2018, and got their IRS charity ruling June 2018.

Somehow they managed to take an application from a newly incorporated company, and walk it through the IRS offices in a week or less. A top-level tax lawyer firm in god mode would find that hard-going, especially for a bat-shit crazy group like Oath Keepers!

Possible source of their divine intervention:
    TrumpDoom.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

Saudi operative dressed as Khashoggi, Turkish source says | CNN

Jamal Khashoggi: Surveillance footage shows Saudi 'body double,' Turkish source says | CNN

Quote:

A member of the 15-man team suspected in the death of Jamal Khashoggi dressed up in his clothes and was captured on surveillance cameras around Istanbul on the day the journalist was killed, a senior Turkish official has told CNN.

CNN has obtained exclusive law enforcement surveillance footage, part of the Turkish government's investigation, that appears to show the man leaving the Saudi consulate by the back door, wearing Khashoggi's clothes, a fake beard, and glasses.

The same man was seen in Khashoggi's clothing, according to the Turkish case, at the city's world-famous Blue Mosque just hours after the journalist was last seen alive entering the consulate on October 2.

The man in the video, identified by the official as Mustafa al-Madani, was allegedly part of what investigators have said was a hit squad, sent to kill the journalist during a scheduled appointment to get papers for his upcoming wedding.

Saudi Arabia has presented a shifting narrative of what happened to Khashoggi. After weeks of denying involvement in Khashoggi's disappearance, Saudi Arabia said that he was killed in the Istanbul consulate, saying his death was the result of a "fistfight." A Saudi source close to the royal palace later told CNN that the Washington Post journalist died in a chokehold. On Sunday, its foreign minister, Adel al-Jubeir, went further, describing Khashoggi's death on Fox News as a "murder" and a "tremendous mistake." He also said they "don't know where the body is."

"We are determined to uncover every stone. We are determined to find out all the facts. And we are determined to punish those who are responsible for this murder," he said in the interview.

In the apparent cover-up that followed Khashoggi's death, Madani, 57, who is of similar height, age and build to Khashoggi, 59, was used as a decoy for the journalist, according to the Turkish official.

Continued at https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/22/middleeast/saudi-operative-jamal-khashoggi-clothes/

REVEALED: The Saudi death squad MBS uses to silence dissent | Middle East Eye

MEE exclusively reveals details about the Tiger Squad, a team of assassins targeting Saudi critics at home and abroad

Quote:

Jamal Khashoggi fell victim to its assassins. He wasn't the first.

In new revelations, a Saudi source with intimate knowledge of his country's intelligence services told Middle East Eye about a death squad that operates under the guidance and supervision of Mohammed bin Salman, the Saudi crown prince.

The Firqat el-Nemr, or Tiger Squad, is well-known to the US intelligence services. It was formed more than a year ago and is comprised of 50 of the best-skilled intelligence and military operatives in the kingdom.

The group was recruited from different branches of the Saudi security services, channelling several areas of expertise. Its members are unflinchingly loyal to Riyadh's young crown prince, commonly known as MBS.

MEE can exclusively reveal details about the Tiger Squad, after speaking to a very well-placed source. The source detailed to MEE the squad's makeup, targets, actions and personnel.

Continued at https://www.middleeasteye.net/tiger-squad-saudi-hitmen-khashoggi-mbs
    • Like Like x 1