Customize

The Smoking Gun: Trump, The Least Charitable Billionaire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hushpuppy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. The Great Dictator (1940) | Charlie Chaplin | Comedy, Drama, War
  3. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Trump says rocks are bad
    https://www.vox.com/2018/11/1/18053638/cnn-carried-donald-trump-immigration-white-house

4. The Wrong Guy Member

Michael Cohen Says Trump Repeatedly Used Racist Language Before His Presidency

As he awaits sentencing, Trump’s former lawyer says that he wants to clear his conscience and warn voters about what he sees as the president’s true nature in advance of the midterm elections.

By Emily Jane Fox, Vanity Fair, November 2, 2018

Quote:

On Tuesday, mourners gathered in Pittsburgh to honor the victims of the harrowing attack on the Tree of Life synagogue. Days earlier, as they observed Shabbat, 11 Jews were murdered. Robert Bowers, the alleged suspect, later told a SWAT officer that he wanted all Jews to die. (Bowers has since pleaded not guilty.) The tragedy united thousands of Jews in Pittsburgh, who peacefully protested Donald Trump’s visit to the synagogue earlier this week. It also consumed a far larger constituency, which remained aghast that the alleged killer was motivated by fear fanned by the president of the United States.

Michael Cohen, the president’s former lawyer, was among those closely following the story. The son of a Holocaust survivor, Cohen has remained largely silent since the F.B.I. executed search warrants on his home, hotel room, and office this past spring. In August, he pleaded guilty to charges related to campaign-finance violations and tax fraud, and at the advice of counsel, he has not spoken publicly about his case or his relationship with the president ever since. Privately, he has been cooperating with investigators in the Southern District of New York, the special counsel’s office, and New York State. (He faces sentencing in the Southern District next month.) Yet Cohen wanted to express himself in the wake of the tragedy. Shortly after the sun rose on Tuesday, he tweeted, “In honor of those sadly being buried today resulting from #AntiSemitism #PittsburghSynagogueShooting, let’s follow the wisdom and thoughtful words of #RabbiJeffreyMyers ‘it can’t just be to say we need to stop hate. We need to do, we need to act to tone down rhetoric.’”

Like many, Cohen has observed the president’s scorched-earth campaign tactics as the midterm elections approach, and as the prospect of a Democratic House majority beckons, with its attendant promise of investigations and inquiries. He has heard Trump’s constant invocation of the migrant caravan moving through Central America; he’s noticed the president threaten to revoke birthright citizenship; he’s noted Trump’s tweet calling Florida’s African-American gubernatorial candidate, Andrew Gillum, a “thief,” without any evidence. He also watched Trump shirk responsibility after it was discovered that Bowers invoked the caravan in posts online ahead of the mass murder in Pittsburgh, and after one of his ardent supporters was charged last week with mailing pipe bombs to notable Democrats and other frequent Trumpian targets. (The suspect plans to plead not guilty.) On Twitter and during rallies, Trump has referred to the media as “the enemy of the people,” blaming the free press for “the anger we see today in our society.”

That message rang hollow to those most familiar with the president and his language, including Cohen, who said he has spent the last several months quietly reflecting on his former boss and his own role in the Trump Organization. Amid the president’s recent tirades, Cohen has re-registered as a Democrat and urged people on Twitter to vote in the midterm elections, calling it possibly “the most important vote in our lifetime.” He said that events also activated within him an urge to reveal details from his tenure at the Trump Organization, during which he said the president privately uttered chilling, racist language in one-on-one conversations. On Tuesday, the day of the first funerals in Pittsburgh, he shared some of these memories.

Certainly, Cohen is aggrieved, and his credibility has been questioned by the president, his lawyers, and others. His allegations could inflame the very divisions that he’s said he wants to diffuse. Through the president’s public attacks against him, he stayed silent, as his lawyers advised, and he’s taken a risk in sharing these recollections on the record. When I asked him why he was coming forward now with such uncomfortable claims, Cohen was clear: he knew that the president’s private comments were worse than his public rhetoric, and he wanted to offer potential voters what he believed was evidence of Trump’s character in advance of the midterm elections.

During our conversation, Cohen recalled a discussion at Trump Tower, following the then-candidate’s return from a campaign rally during the 2016 election cycle. Cohen had watched the rally on TV and noticed that the crowd was largely Caucasian. He offered this observation to his boss. “I told Trump that the rally looked vanilla on television. Trump responded, ‘That’s because black people are too stupid to vote for me.’” (The White House did not respond to multiple requests for comment.)

This conversation, he noted, was reminiscent of an exchange that the two men had engaged in years earlier, after Nelson Mandela’s death. “[Trump] said to me, ‘Name one country run by a black person that’s not a shithole,’ and then he added, ‘Name one city,’” Cohen recalled, a statement that echoed the president’s alleged comments about African nations earlier this year. (White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders denied those comments at the time. She added that “no one here is going to pretend like the president is always politically correct—he isn’t.” She subsequently noted that it was “one of the reasons the American people love him.”)

Cohen also recounted a conversation he had with Trump in the late 2000s, while they were traveling to Chicago for a Trump International Hotel board meeting. “We were going from the airport to the hotel, and we drove through what looked like a rougher neighborhood. Trump made a comment to me, saying that only the blacks could live like this.” After the first few seasons of The Apprentice, Cohen recalled how he and Trump were discussing the reality show and past season winners. The conversation wended its way back to the show’s first season, which ended in a head-to-head between two contestants, Bill Rancic and Kwame Jackson. “Trump was explaining his back-and-forth about not picking Jackson,” an African-American investment manager who had graduated from Harvard Business School. “He said, ‘There’s no way I can let this black f-g win.’” (Jackson told me that he had heard that the president made such a comment. “My response to President Trump is simple and Wakandan,” he said, referring to the fictional African country where Black Panther hails from. “‘Not today, colonizer!’”)

In retrospect, Cohen told me that he wishes he had quit the Trump Organization when he heard these offensive remarks. “I should have been a bigger person, and I should have left,” he said. He didn’t, he said, because he grew numb to the language and, in awe of the job, forgave his boss’s sins. Cohen, in fact, even defended the president publicly against charges of racism. Last year, he explicitly tweeted as much. Cohen explained that he defended the president because he thought the magnitude of the office would eventually force him to be more judicious with his words. “I truly thought the office would change him,” he said. But it hasn’t, Cohen continued. In fact, he said, it has exacerbated his rhetoric.

Cohen’s claims would damage most presidents. Trump, however, survived the Access Hollywood tape in the run-up to the presidential election in 2016. His supporters stayed with him after his jarring “both sides” comment regarding the racial violence in Charlottesville, and didn’t bend when Omarosa Manigault Newman accused him of using vile racial language after she left the White House. (Trump referred to her as “that dog” after her book came out.) When Trump portrayed Brett Kavanaugh as a man under siege, his poll numbers went up. Trump seems to perform best with his base when he appears like his back is up against the wall. For Cohen’s part, he said he is hoping that people bear his words in mind as they cast their ballots on Tuesday. He will.

Source: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/11/michael-cohen-trump-racist-language
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

Jacob Wohl’s Fake P.I. Firm Ghosted on Ex-Homeless Woman Looking For Her Stolen Truck

At the same time he was trying to frame Robert Mueller, the Trump-loving huckster took on another case. It, too, has gone poorly.

By Lachlan Markay and Adam Rawnsley, The Daily Beast

Quote:

Julienne Adams began to suspect something was awry with Surefire Intelligence when all of its phone numbers suddenly disconnected.

Adams, a 35-year-old Washington state native, had hired the private investigations firm to recover damages for a truck she says was stolen. She had found Surefire through postings on Craigslist, where it billed its impressive roster of former Israeli intelligence agents and other experts in financial and criminal investigations. Its website appeared to be legitimate, and Adams even found a pair of glowing writeups about the company on the publishing platform Medium. She eventually ponied up $1,200 for Surefire’s services.

Adams had spoken with the firm’s ostensible managing partner, Matthew Cohen, last Friday, and he was optimistic about recovering tens of thousands of dollars from the man whom Adams accused of stealing her Hummer. They were scheduled for an in-person meeting in Portland, Oregon, near her home in southern Washington, on Tuesday.

Then the whole thing blew up. Cohen, it turns out, doesn’t actually exist. His real name is Jacob Wohl, and he’s a pro-Trump twitter troll and former teenage hedge fund manager with the dubious distinction of being the youngest person ever to earn a lifetime trading ban from the National Futures Association.

Adams had the poor luck of hiring Wohl just weeks before the Surefire facade came crashing down. Unbeknownst to her, Wohl and his firm—such as it is—had teamed up with Republican lobbyist Jack Burkman to peddle questionable sexual assault allegations against Special Counsel Robert Mueller. They unveiled their claims against Mueller on Thursday at a press conference in Northern Virginia that quickly went off the rails as reporters grilled Wohl about, among other topics, his qualifications as a private investigator.

By all appearances, those qualifications are few. Asked by The Daily Beast at the press conference whether he is licensed as a private investigator in any state, Wohl refused to to answer. He later acknowledged that Adams had enlisted his services, but insisted that those services didn’t require such a license. “There are certain matters which require PI licenses,” he said. “We never take those jobs under any circumstances.”

Such distinctions were never offered to Adams when she went to Surfire in desperate need.

In an interview with The Daily Beast, Adams said she had been kicked out of her house in an ugly divorce that began in 2015 and lived out of her Hummer for two years, until it was stolen.

“I was looking for a paralegal to help me with some court documents at the time on Craigslist, the legal services section, and I came across an ad that said ‘have you been scammed? Do you need a private investigator?’” she recalled. “So I’m like, well, yes I do!”

The ad was from Surefire Intelligence. Adams did some research on the company before reaching out. “If you initially looked, three weeks ago, [Wohl’s] agency looked crisp. He had LinkedIn. He had a beautiful website. He had Medium.com reviews. He had—the whole first few pages of Google was him. So anyone with a sound mind would think ‘hey this is a legitimate business.’”

When she finally got on the phone with Wohl—who was then presenting himself as Cohen—he told her, “we can help you with. This is exactly what we do.” Adams wired him $1,200 and signed a retainer agreement, which is largely identical to publicly-available copies of contracts offered by more legitimate public investigation agencies.

Wohl signed it as Matthew Cohen, according to a copy of the agreement provided by Adams.

His decision to do so, even under an assumed name, could present additional legal problems. The Daily Beast described the scope of work in the agreement to Neil Harrison, a licensed private investigator in Washington and the president of the Washington Association of Legal Investigators, a professional organization representing the industry there. Harrison stressed that he is not a lawyer and could only offer a personal opinion. But, he said, “That's called an investigation and you're required, to the best of my knowledge, to obtain a P.I. license in the state of Washington to conduct any sort of investigation.”

Washington state law defines a private investigator as someone licensed by the state and “engaged in the business of detecting, discovering, or revealing” a range of subjects, including “the location, disposition, or recovery of lost or stolen property.”

Even without the P.I. license Wohl—still presenting himself as Cohen—appeared to be making progress on Adams’ case. He told her he had compiled information on the alleged thief including his credit history and the amount of money in his bank account (Wohl didn’t respond to questions about how he came about the latter information). To Adams, everything seemed on the up and up.

According to Adams, she and Wohl (er… Cohen) spoke last week and agreed to meet up on Tuesday in Portland. But Wohl never showed.

Then Adams got a call from her boyfriend. He had just gotten caught up on the day’s news in D.C., where a pair of previously obscure Republicans was promising damning allegations about Robert Mueller. And to do so, they were employing a familiar investigative agency, Surefire Intelligence, in a scheme that had already been referred to the FBI for investigation.

Adams started to panic. She couldn’t afford to lose $1,200 to a scam on top of her lost vehicle. All four of the U.S. phone numbers listed on Surefire’s website—Google Voice numbers forwarding to Wohl’s cell phone—were soon disconnected. The LinkedIn pages of Surefire’s supposed employees, many of which used fake headshots, started disappearing. The Medium posts that attested to Surefire’s expertise were also taken down.

On Thursday, after days of outright lies about his association with Surefire, Wohl admitted he was the company’s founder and defended both his expertise as an investigator and his deceptions. “It was important that I preserved my anonymity,” he said at a press conference.

Less than two hours earlier, Wohl found the time to shoot Adams an email. “I have a rough settlement in place with this man who has caused you trouble (offer of $20k),” Wohl wrote, according to a screenshot of the email provided by Adams. “Either we will have a resolution by close of business Friday, or I will give you a full refund, plus 30% for your trouble. That’s how confident I am.”

By then, Adams was up to speed on Wohl’s involvement in the Mueller saga. She threatened to press charges and bring her story to the media.

“We will talk when I’m back in town tomorrow,” Wohl replied. She has yet to hear from him.

Reached by phone and asked about his work for Adams, Wohl initially refused to say a word, citing a confidentiality agreement, and abruptly hung up. He soon followed up with a text message, in which he accused Adams of lying about her car.

“She hired us to look into her ‘stolen hummer,’” Wohl said. “We looked into it and found that she had actually SOLD the hummer to this guy and was trying to rip him off. Nonetheless, we offered her a refund, which she declined to take.”

It was not immediately clear how Wohl would have extracted a $20,000 settlement offer under those circumstances. He didn’t respond to follow-up questions.

Adams denied that recollection of events, and dubbed Wohl a “fraud” when presented with his explanation. “Why would I pay someone to get a truck that I sold?”

The whole episode has left Adams wondering if she’ll ever get reimbursed for her Hummer. She said she remained in awe of “how far [Wohl] went to make himself look professional, How much money he put into.” But she still has some hope that Wohl might eventually come through.

“I think he actually was going to go after [the alleged car thief] for me,” Adams says. “I think all this blew up in his face.”

Source: https://www.thedailybeast.com/jacob...-destitute-woman-looking-for-her-stolen-truck

Jacob Wohl accuses Daily Beast reporters of libel over article on Surefire Intelligence | Twitchy

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018...-libel-over-article-on-surefire-intelligence/
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

Senate Intelligence Wants Documents on NRA’s Russia Trip | The Daily Beast

Quote:

The Senate intelligence committee has asked the National Rifle Association to provide documents on its connections to Russia—including documents related to a 2015 trip some of its top leaders made to Moscow. That’s according to two sources briefed on the committee’s activities.

The NRA did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Spokespersons for Sen. Richard Burr, the intelligence committee chair, and Sen. Mark Warner, the panel’s ranking member, declined to comment on the record.

The NRA’s Russia connections have drawn growing public scrutiny after a key figure in Russian outreach to the powerful gun lobby, Maria Butina, was indicted in July on charges of being an undeclared Russian operative connected to the country’s intelligence apparatus. Butina sought to use guns as a lever to tilt the Republican Party in a pro-Kremlin direction, creating a political firestorm for the NRA in the wake of her arrest. The intelligence committee’s document request is just one part of the aftermath.

Butina, whose Russian political patron Alexander Torshin is a senior figure in the country’s powerful central bank, ran a Russian gun-rights organization called the Right to Bear Arms. In December 2015, the group sponsored an NRA delegation to come to Moscow for a week. NRA dignitaries also met with another influential Russian, the former deputy prime minister Dmitry Rogozin. Torshin subsequently came under U.S. sanctions; Rogozin had been under sanctions since 2014.

Former NRA President David Keene and soon-to-be president Peter Brownell were both on the trip. Accompanying them were Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke; NRA donors Jim Gregory and Arnold and Hilary Goldschlager; and Jim Liberatore, the president and CEO of the Outdoor Channel.

The intelligence committee isn’t the only Senate panel interested in the trip. The Senate Finance Committee has for months sought NRA documents about the controversial excursion.

Earlier this year, the NRA faced persistent questioning from the Finance Committee over the trip and whether it received money from Russia. The NRA, in a series of letters to the committee, initially denied receiving money from Russia. But in an April 10 letter to Sen. Ron Wyden, its general counsel John Frazer acknowledged receiving “a total of approximately $2512.85 from people associated Russian addresses” and “about $525” from two Russian nationals living in the United States. It also acknowledged “membership dues” from Torshin, a non-voting life member of the NRA since 2012.

“[G]iven the extraordinarily time-consuming and burdensome nature of your requests, we must respectfully decline to engage in this beyond the clear answers we have already provided,” Frazer wrote in April, three months before Butina’s arrest.

The heightened Congressional scrutiny of the NRA comes as one of its former top attorneys, William Brewer III, has faced legal challenges of his own.

In September, federal Judge Liam O’Grady chastised the Texas attorney for failing to disclose that a judge in Texas had sanctioned him for more than $133,000 for using an unethical polling practice to influence a jury pool. Brewer challenged that judge’s move, and an appellate court upheld the penalty. The appellate court’s ruling noted that the judge who first sanctioned Brewer found his attitude in that process to be “dismissive and uncaring.”

When Brewer appeared before a Virginia federal court to represent the NRA—in litigation over its “Carry Guard” insurance program for gun owners who shoot people—he asserted that he had not “been reprimanded in any court.” When the judge learned about his prior sanction, he yanked him off the case, as Texas Lawyer detailed.

Brewer has said he didn’t commission the poll, according to the Texas Lawyer, and that he neglected to reveal the sanction to O’Grady because he was appealing it to Texas’s highest state court. His firm still represents the NRA.

Source: https://www.thedailybeast.com/senate-intelligence-wants-documents-on-nras-russia-trip
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Turkish official: Jamal Khashoggi’s body was dissolved in acid | POLITICO

Advisor to President Erdoğan says ‘the reason they dismembered Khashoggi’s body was to dissolve his remains more easily.’

Quote:

The body of journalist Jamal Khashoggi was dissolved in acid after his murder at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, according to an adviser to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

“The reason they dismembered Khashoggi’s body was to dissolve his remains more easily,” Yamal Aktay said in an interview with Hurriyet Daily newspaper. “Now we see that they did not only dismember his body but also vaporized it.”

“The murder of an innocent person is one crime,” Aktay said. “The treatment of the body is a separate crime.”

Late last month, Erdoğan said the 18 men arrested by Saudi Arabia and suspected of involvement in what he called the “gruesome murder” of Khashoggi should face trial in Turkey.

“This is my proposal and my request because this is where the incident took place,” he told his parliamentary group.

Meanwhile, the Washington Post, citing an unnamed official, said “biological evidence” found in the consulate’s garden suggested that because of acid “Khashoggi’s body was not in need of burying.”

The journalist’s body has still not been found a month after his disappearance on October 2, when he entered the consulate.

Source: https://www.politico.eu/article/kha...a-turkey-official-body-was-dissolved-in-acid/
  9. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. Disambiguation Global Moderator

11. The Wrong Guy Member

How the election could cause Donald Trump to lose Mar-a-Lago

By Bill Palmer, Palmer Report

Quote:

As Donald Trump’s life of crime continues to be further exposed, we’ve seen the state of New York ramping up its criminal investigation into Trump’s finances. Specifically, the New York Attorney General is targeting the Trump Organization, which by extension means Trump and his kids are being targeted. But Trump has traditionally spent large chunks of the year residing in Florida, yet you never hear about the state of Florida going after him. There’s a reason for that.

For the entire time that the Donald Trump criminal saga has been unfolding, the Attorney General of Florida has been a Republican named Pam Bondi, who happens to be one of Trump’s flunkies. She’s not seeking reelection; she’ll be replaced by Democratic candidate Sean Shaw or Republican candidate Ashley Moody. As with every other statewide race in Florida, the polls suggest the AG race is a tight one.

If Moody wins, nothing will happen to Trump. But if Shaw wins, he’s vowing to investigate Donald Trump’s Florida real estate ventures for financial ties to Russia. There’s a lot to work with. For instance, Trump sold a Florida mansion to a Russian oligarch for twice what it was worth, and then the oligarch had it bulldozed. In addition, Trump Towers III in Florida was busted this year for a Russian prostitution ring.

As is the case with the New York investigation into Donald Trump’s finances, asset forfeitures are a real possibility in Florida if Sean Shaw becomes Attorney General and can make the case that Trump bought those properties with money he obtained in criminal fashion. Asset forfeitures are very real; we just saw Paul Manafort have to surrender most of his properties. So yeah, Trump could end up losing Mar-a-Lago Palm Beach, just as he could end up losing Trump Tower in New York City – but only if voters turn out for Sean Shaw.

Source: https://www.palmerreport.com/analysis/lose-mar-a-lago-trump-donald/13876/
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. The Moth Member

“Ken Starr: I haven't seen Trump commit anything 'close' to an impeachable offense”
    The best thing that can be said is he hasn’t committed an impeachable offense. Is that fit for a presidency?
  14. Kemp, candidate and somehow still officiating over his own election, accuses Democrats of attempting to hack the votes. No evidence and 48 hours before the election. Good news though, his attempt to block voters was taken down by the courts
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/414503-poll-abrams-and-kemp-tied-in-georgia-governors-race
    “investigating the state’s Democratic Party for "possible cyber crimes" related to an alleged attempted hack on state voting infrastructure. The Georgia Democratic Party has called the claims “scurrilous” and “100 percent false.”
    "This political stunt from Kemp just days before the election is yet another example of why he cannot be trusted and should not be overseeing an election in which he is also a candidate for governor," the Georgia Democratic Party's executive director, Rebecca DeHart, said in a statement”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ubernatorial-election/?utm_term=.c80f1c7c4cb6
    “Judge rules against Brian Kemp over Georgia voting restrictions days before gubernatorial election”
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Family Separation | Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)

"John Oliver discusses the disturbing policy that separated migrant families detained at our southern border, and the disturbingly real chance that it could happen again."

'Trump has hijacked the election': House Republicans in panic mode | POLITICO

Worries deepen that Trump's charged immigration rhetoric will cost the GOP more seats.

Quote:

House Speaker Paul Ryan got President Donald Trump on the phone Sunday for one final plea on behalf of anxious Republicans: Please, please talk up the booming economy in the final hours before Election Day.

But Trump, unsurprisingly, had another issue on his mind. He boasted to Ryan that his focus on immigration has fired up the base, according to a source familiar with the call.

Two days out from an expected Democratic takeover of the House, Republicans focused on the chamber are profoundly worried that Trump’s obsession with all things immigration will exacerbate their losses. Many of these same Republicans welcomed Trump’s initial talk about the migrant caravan and border security two weeks ago, hoping it would gin up the GOP base in some at-risk, Republican-held districts.

But they now fear Trump went overboard — and that it could cost them dearly in key suburban districts, from Illinois to Texas. Many of them have cringed at Trump’s threats to unilaterally end birthright citizenship, as well as his recent racially-tinged ad suggesting that immigrants are police killers. The president's drumbeat, they say, is drowning out news any incumbent president would be negligent not to dwell on: that the economy added a quarter-million jobs last quarter, and unemployment is below 4 percent.

“Trump has hijacked the election,” said one senior House Republican aide of Trump's focus on immigration. “This is not what we expected the final weeks of the election to focus on.”

Continued at https://www.politico.com/story/2018...tions-midterms-republicans-immigration-960748

'No Blame'? ABC News finds 17 cases invoking 'Trump' in connection with violence, threats or alleged assaults

Excerpt:

Nearly all — 16 of 17 — cases identified by ABC News are striking in that court documents and direct evidence reflect someone echoing presidential rhetoric, not protesting it. ABC News was unable to find any such case echoing presidential rhetoric when Barack Obama or George W. Bush were in the White House.

The perpetrators and suspects identified in the 17 cases are mostly white men, as young as teenagers and as old as 68, while the victims represent an array of minority groups — African-Americans, Latinos, Muslims and gay men.

Federal law enforcement authorities have privately told ABC News they worry that — even with Trump's public denunciations of violence — Trump's style could inspire violence-prone individuals to take action against minorities or others they perceive to be against the president's agenda.

More at https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/blame-abc-news-finds-17-cases-invoking-trump/story?id=58912889
  16. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Disambiguation Global Moderator

“Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue described the stakes of the Florida governor's election on Tuesday as being "cotton-pickin' important" at a campaign event on Saturday for Republican Ron DeSantis.” Just in case you are not clear on American idioms, “cotton picking” is racist for black slaves.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Disambiguation Global Moderator

More Jacob Wohl:
    Voting early at Irvine City Hall, ran into several fans of mine.

Looks like a big, fat Red Wave! A4B966D1-9F23-4768-AC7F-F84483D0A076.gif A4B966D1-9F23-4768-AC7F-F84483D0A076.gif A4B966D1-9F23-4768-AC7F-F84483D0A076.gif A4B966D1-9F23-4768-AC7F-F84483D0A076.gif
  19. The Moth Member

Trump asked the Supreme Court to rule on DACA taking it out of the hands of the federal courts, bet it’s because he has his own tame justice
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

“I’m Very Worried About Don Jr.”: Forget the Midterms — West Wing Insiders Brace for the Mueller Storm | Vanity Fair

In the run-up to the election, Rudy Giuliani was made to shut up. But now, with Trump making excuses for possibly losing the House, officials are bracing for a legal assault.

Excerpt:

The bigger threat for Trump than losing control of Congress is Robert Mueller’s looming report. Sources say Trump advisers are girding themselves for Mueller to deliver the results of his investigation to the Justice Department as early as Wednesday, although it’s more likely he’ll wait till later this month. Sources say besides the president, the ones with the most exposure are Roger Stone and Donald Trump Jr. “I’m very worried about Don Jr.,” said another former West Wing official who testified before the Senate Intelligence Committee. The possible exposure would be that Mueller would demonstrate that Don Jr. perjured himself to investigators when he said he didn’t tell his father beforehand about the June 2016 Trump Tower meeting to gather “dirt” on Hillary Clinton. (Donald Trump Jr.’s lawyer, Alan Futerfas, declined to comment.)

One potential sign of how seriously Trumpworld is treating the Mueller threat has been the near total silence of Rudy Giuliani. A constant presence on cable news over the summer, Giuliani hasn’t been on television in weeks. “What the hell happened to Rudy?” a former White House official said when I asked about Giuliani’s whereabouts. According to three sources briefed on Trump’s legal team, Giuliani has been in Europe visiting consulting clients as well as preparing a report with Trump lawyers Marty and Jane Raskin that is designed to provide a counter-narrative to Mueller’s document. “They don’t know what Mueller has but they have a good idea and they’re going to rebut it,” one Republican close to Giuliani said. But another source said Trump instructed Giuliani to stay off television to avoid hurting Trump’s midterm message. “Trump’s thinking is, ‘I gave you a lot of rope and now you got a lot of rope marks around your neck,’” the source said. (The White House did not respond to a request for comment.)

More at https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/11/west-wing-insiders-brace-for-the-mueller-storm
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Multiple problems with voting stations in minority precincts in Georgia. Lines 4 hours long...machines don’t work.
  22. Disambiguation Global Moderator

23. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Trump team misses deadline for new round of Russia sanctions
  24. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Ok I’m settled on in with alcohol and Oreos and willll be posting during the election.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Disambiguation Global Moderator

26. The Wrong Guy Member

This Was a Great Night, Democrats: Retaking the House Is Huge

The Democratic takeover now means Robert Mueller has protection. Mr. President, you want to fire him? Okay. The House Democrats can hire him.

By Michael Tomasky, The Daily Beast

Quote:

We can breathe. For the first time in two years, we can breathe.

That’s the takeaway for Democrats and liberals. No, it wasn’t a wave. No, Beto didn’t win—but man did he jump start a potential revolution in Texas politics, and even in defeat his name will now be on the 2020 lists, as it should be. No, the Democrats didn’t take the Senate. So nobody is really popping Dom Perignon (maybe not even Nancy Pelosi, more on which later).

But look. Taking the House back is huge. It’s a game changer. People were getting their hopes up pretty unrealistically in the last few days. The polls were tempting people toward really high expectations. So they weren’t all met. But think back: A few months ago, Democrats would have been thrilled to take back only the House and win several important governors’ races. And that’s what they did.

You know what taking back the House means. Democrats will hold the committee gavels. Bye-bye, Devin Nunes at the intelligence committee. Hello, Adam Schiff. So long, Bob Goodlatte at Judiciary. Welcome, Jerry Nadler. Sayonara, Kevin Brady of Ways and Means. Hand the gavel to Richard Neal of Massachusetts, who told the media before it was even official that the Democrats would capture the majority that he is going to seek to get President Trump’s tax returns. Financial Services is going to Maxine Waters! I guess Trump’s about to find out what her IQ really is.

There are so many others. No point in naming them all. But if you feel like it, just go down a list of committees and subcommittees and paint the picture in your mind. Every single committee now with jurisdiction over Ben Carson, over Betsy DeVos, over Ryan Zinke, over Wilbur Ross, over you name it. Administration figures are going to be hauled up there on a weekly basis. And not just on corruption, but on policy, too. How did Trump come to pull out of the Paris climate accord? How did they devise the family separation policy at the border? Finally, someone, or a lot of someones, is going to have to answer some questions.

And, of course, the Democratic takeover now means Robert Mueller has protection. Mr. President, you want to fire him? Okay. The House Democrats can hire him. There’s no getting in Mueller’s way now. There will be no more hearings where Jim Jordan can grandstand sanctimoniously. I mean, he’ll get to do it for the two minutes he has the microphone, but there will be no more smear-Mueller hearings. No dishonest reports. That’s done.

Keep an eye on Nadler. No, not for impeachment. Let’s not start clamoring about impeachment. First, show the American people how corrupt this president, this family, this administration is. That hard work will lay the groundwork for potential impeachment, but realistically, impeachment is a pipe dream. Some 18 or so Republican senators would have to vote to convict. So don’t think about impeachment. Think about exposing their corruption. Nadler is smart and I think will know just how to handle it.

Continued at https://www.thedailybeast.com/this-was-a-great-night-democrats-retaking-the-house-is-huge

Democrats' victory in House provides crucial protection for Mueller (opinion) | CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/07/opinions/2018-election-results-mueller-investigation-honig/
    • Like Like x 1
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  28. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Trump’s having a press conference sounding sober and quoting all the statistics he can to show the lose wasn’t that bad.... heh
  29. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  30. Disambiguation Global Moderator

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/donald-trump-jr-expecting-to-be-indicted-by-mueller-soon.html
    • Like Like x 1
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Trump clashes with Jim Acosta in testy exchange | CNN

"President Donald Trump defended his characterization of the migrant caravan as an "invasion" before attacking CNN's Jim Acosta, calling him a "rude, terrible person.""

Jim Acosta responds after heated exchange with Trump | CNN

"CNN's Jim Acosta responded to an exchange with President Trump during a press conference, in which Trump called reporters "the enemy of the people.""

Trump calls reporter's question 'racist' | CNN

"Trump called a reporter's question about his embrace of the term "nationalist" racist."

Stars Unload on Trump for Verbally Attacking CNN Reporter Jim Acosta: 'Embarrassment,' 'Awful,' 'Child' | TooFab

http://toofab.com/2018/11/07/stars-...-reporter-jim-acosta-heated-press-conference/
    • Like Like x 2
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

33. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Trump taunted some of the Republicans that lost and has been spitting on Sessions for 2 years. Once again-what is wrong with Republicans that support this guy? Sessions was his earlies supporter in the Senate.
  34. Disambiguation Global Moderator

More- at least we got rid of this union busting, right wing anti press creep
    https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...cle_c5d323d1-7b64-5a8c-b5db-3cd168a530c1.html
    “Scott Walker concedes to Tony Evers; Assembly Speaker says GOP lawmakers may limit governor's power in lame-duck session”
    He also opposes same sex marriage
    • Like Like x 1
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

Republicans lost the House, so Trump took it out on the media | The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-the-house-so-trump-took-it-out-on-the-media/

White House pulls CNN's Jim Acosta's pass after contentious news conference | CNN

Quote:

In a stunning break with protocol, the White House said Wednesday night that it's suspending CNN chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta's hard pass "until further notice."

The move came just hours after Acosta drew the ire of President Trump and his allies by asking multiple questions at a post-midterms news conference. Trump insulted Acosta and called him a "terrible" person.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders announced in a statement that Acosta would be stripped of what's known as a "hard pass," which gives him access to the White House grounds.

Around the same time, Acosta was stopped at the White House's Pennsylvania Avenue gate where reporters usually enter. He was heading back to the White House for a live shot on "Anderson Cooper 360."

"I've just been denied entrance to the WH," Acosta tweeted. "Secret Service just informed me I cannot enter the WH grounds for my 8pm hit."

Acosta posted a video of a Secret Service officer removing his pass.

"I was just told to do it," the officer said on the recording.

"I am now giving my hard pass to the Secret Service," Acosta said.

Reporters who regularly cover the White House are routinely granted "hard passes" to ease entry and exit to the White House grounds. It is unclear whether Acosta will be granted some other sort of entry pass for his work. But on Wednesday night, he was turned away at the gate.

Wednesday's action by the White House is a sharp escalation of tensions between the Trump administration and CNN. It immediately stirred concerns within the White House press corps.

Peter Baker, the chief White House correspondent for The New York Times, said on Twitter, "This is something I've never seen since I started covering the White House in 1996. Other presidents did not fear tough questioning."

The White House Correspondents Association, which advocates on behalf of the press corps, is expected to issue a statement later on Wednesday night.

CNN is also expected to release a statement about the incident.

Acosta has been one of the most aggressive reporters on the White House beat, winning him huge numbers of fans but also huge numbers of critics.

On Wednesday afternoon pro-Trump media outlets were full of stories alleging that Acosta had mistreated the White House aide who tried to take a microphone away from him at the press conference.

Sanders repeated this assertion in her statement.

"President Trump believes in a free press and expects and welcomes tough questions of him and his Administration," she said. "We will, however, never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern. This conduct is absolutely unacceptable."

CNN producer Allie Malloy responded to Sanders via Twitter: "This is a complete lie. The woman grabbed Jim's arm repeatedly. He never once touched her. In fact at one point @Acosta tells her politely 'pardon me, mam' as she's yanking on his arm."

Acosta also tweeted that Sanders' description of the incident was a "lie."

This is a developing story that will be updated.

Here is the full White House statement:

"President Trump believes in a free press and expects and welcomes tough questions of him and his Administration. We will, however, never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern. This conduct is absolutely unacceptable. It is also completely disrespectful to the reporter's colleagues not to allow them an opportunity to ask a question. President Trump has given the press more access than any President in history. Contrary to CNN's assertions, there is no greater demonstration of the President's support for a free press than the event he held today. Only they would attack the President for not being supportive of a free press in the midst of him taking 68 questions from 35 different reporters over the course of an hour and a half -- including several from the reporter in question. The fact that CNN is proud of the way their employee behaved is not only disgusting, it is an example of their outrageous disregard for everyone, including young women, who work in this Administration. As a result of today's incident, the White House is suspending the hard pass of the reporter involved until further notice." -- Sarah Sanders

More at https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/07/media/trump-cnn-press-conference/

WHCA @whca 1 minute ago
    .@WHCA Statement On Revoked White House Access via President @OKnox
    DrclWrQX4AAfOib.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

Dan Rather‏ @DanRather 2 hours ago
    News the White House pulled Jim @Acosta’s credentials is not an attack on one journalist but all of the press. There should be complete solidarity. This is a moment for any Republican who says they believe in the Constitution to stand up.

Dan Rather‏ @DanRather 1 hour ago
    There must be really something in those tax returns.

Dan Rather‏ @DanRather 8 minutes ago
    Trump treats showdowns with the press as theater of the absurd. Don't let the act fool you. This is about questions he will not answer or answer honestly. That's what the press must do. Hold the powerful accountable. It's as much a part of America as the presidency itself.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

Dems plan to bring in Mueller for televised hearings if Trump fires him: report | TheHill

Quote:

Top Democrats in the House are reportedly planning to invite Robert Mueller to testify on Capitol Hill in televised hearings if President Trump takes action to fire the special counsel and shut down the Russia investigation.

Senior Democratic aides told Politico that if Trump were to fire Mueller and other members of the Justice Department's leadership in a scenario similar to Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre, Democrats would respond by inviting Mueller to testify before the House in a televised hearing.

"I think you could expect Democrats to take pieces of what they shut down and expose it publicly,” a senior aide familiar with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) thinking told Politico.

“This is a report paid for with taxpayer dollars. So taxpayers would have a right to know what Mr. Mueller found," the aide continued.

Continued at https://thehill.com/policy/national...mueller-for-televised-hearings-if-trump-fires
    • Like Like x 1
  38. DeathHamster Member

And backed up her assertion with a doctored video from InfoWars.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

Former FBI agent says Sarah Sanders libeled CNN's Jim Acosta with 'doctored' InfoWars video: ‘Your tweet is Exhibit A’

Quote:

A former FBI special agent says White House press secretary Sarah Sanders libeled CNN reporter Jim Acosta by sharing an altered video of his interaction with an intern during a presidential news conference.

Asha Rangappa, a CNN contributor and former counterintelligence agent, said Sanders had met the standard of proof for libel — publishing a false statement to damage a person’s reputation.

“.@PressSec you are seriously tweeting out an obviously doctored video – from InfoWars no less – to substantiate a false accusation of assault against a journalist???” Rangappa tweeted.

“The standard for libel against a public figure is acting with ‘actual malice,’ and your tweet is Exhibit A,” she added.

The White House revoked Acosta’s access to the White House after President Donald Trump called him a “rude, terrible person” for asking questions during the briefing, and an intern attempted to grab his microphone.

Sanders accused Acosta of “placing his hands on a young woman” during the incident, and then shared a video circulated by InfoWars editor Paul Joseph Watson that is briefly slowed down at one point to make Acosta’s actions look more aggressive.

Continued at https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/fo...acosta-doctored-infowars-video-tweet-exhibit/
    • Like Like x 2
  40. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2