Customize

The Smoking Gun: Trump, The Least Charitable Billionaire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hushpuppy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

It turns out Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen aren’t endorsing Trump | New York Post

Quote:

The feelings may not be mutual between Donald Trump and his favorite Patriot.

Tom Brady’s wife, Gisele Bündchen, said the couple is not supporting the GOP presidential nominee — who has repeatedly brought up his apparent friendship with the New England quarterback on the campaign trail.

The Brazilian supermodel was asked whom the pair was backing after Trump claimed at a Manchester, New Hampshire, rally Monday night that Brady called to say he had voted for him.

“Gisele I heard you and Tom were backing Trump! Is that true??” asked one indignant fan on Instagram.

“NO!” Bundchen emphatically replied.

But at the rally, Trump was name-dropping his favorite jock.

“Great guy, great friend of mine — great, great champion. Unbelievable winner,” Trump said in the key swing state, filled with Patriots fans.

“He called today and he said, ‘Donald, I support you, you’re my friend, and I voted for you,’” the mogul added.

“And I said, ‘So Tom. You voted for me, you support me, am I allowed to say it tonight at this massive crowd in New Hampshire?’ He said, ‘If you want to say it, you can say it.’ OK? Tom, that’s what a champ is all about.”

Earlier in the day, Brady was asked on Boston’s “Kirk & Callahan Show” on WEEI whether he had cast a presidential ballot.

“No, I haven’t voted yet,” he said.

Early voting in Massachusetts ended Friday, though it would still be possible for Brady to have mailed in an absentee ballot between the radio interview and the phone call with Trump.

Source:
    https://nypost.com/2016/11/08/it-turns-out-tom-brady-and-gisele-bundchen-arent-endorsing-trump/
  2. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Disambiguation Global Moderator

4. The Internet Member

Looks like Trump is going to win. Think I will doodle on my iPad and ignore this fucking election until tomorrow.

The stock markets are tanking.
  5. Disambiguation Global Moderator

6. The Wrong Guy Member

7. Random guy Member

• Like Like x 4
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. Now can we see your taxes?
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

World in shock as Trump surges to victory in U.S. | Reuters

Excerpt:

Prominent historian Simon Schama described a Trump victory and Republican control of both the Senate and U.S. House of Representatives as a "genuinely frightening prospect".

"NATO will be under pressure to disintegrate, the Russians will make trouble, 20 million people will lose their health insurance, climate change (policies) will be reversed, bank regulation will be liquidated. Do you want me to go on?," Schama told the BBC.

"Of course it's not Hitler. There are many varieties of fascism. I didn't say he was a Nazi although neo-Nazis are celebrating."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-reaction-idUSKBN13410L
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

President Trump: Get ready for a rough ride

By Doyle McManus, Los Angeles Times

Quote:

Donald Trump’s unexpected victory means our next president will be an untested non-politician who made a list of campaign promises he can’t possibly keep; a foreign policy novice whose vows to scrap trade agreements and renegotiate alliances have alarmed our oldest friends; a crude braggart who derided minorities, women, the disabled and even prisoners of war.

<snipped>

Trump’s fiscal campaign promises simply don’t add up. He’s said he will balance the budget and cut taxes, but expand Social Security and increase military spending. That can’t be done. He’s promised steel workers in the Rust Belt and coal miners in Appalachia that he’ll bring their old jobs back; that’s not likely to happen, either.

Still, some of his agenda can be achieved through legislation. He can repeal Obamacare, President Obama’s health insurance program — and leave the details of what should replace it to Congress. He can almost certainly win funding to deport more undocumented immigrants and build a wall on the southern border— the cost of which, he says, will be reimbursed by the Mexican government. (Mexico says it will do no such thing.)

And many of Trump’s biggest promises on trade, immigration, national security and foreign policy can be achieved through executive action.

He has said his first order of business, on Day One, will be to reverse many of President Obama's executive orders, beginning with immigration. For example, Trump would immediately end Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program that has granted temporary work permits to “dreamers,” young immigrants who lack legal status.

Trump could suspend immigration by refugees from Syria and impose “extreme vetting” on immigrants from other countries affected by terrorism.

He could follow through on his campaign promise to renegotiate the NAFTA trade treaty with Mexico and Canada — and, if the talks went poorly, he could carry out his threat to leave the trade pact. He's also floated the idea of withdrawing from the World Trade Organization, an action which could set off an international trade war and financial panic.

He could attempt to renegotiate U.S. participation in the North Atlantic Treaty Alliance, reducing our military commitments in Europe if the allies don’t spend more on defense.

And, since he says the threat of climate change is a hoax, Trump could keep his pledge to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement and undo regulations that reduce U.S. carbon emissions.

The problem with all of those unilateral moves is that they could well cause retaliation by other countries — a factor President Trump won’t be able to control. His early months will be a test of his ability as a crisis manager.

An optimist might argue that Trump won’t govern the way he campaigned: that he’ll surround himself with seasoned advisers, embrace more traditional positions and satisfy himself with half-measures.

But Trump’s record offers little reassurance on that score. When he won his party’s nomination, old-guard Republicans predicted he would “pivot” toward the political center and look “more presidential” in order to secure an electoral majority. Trump rejected their advice — and he’s likely to take Tuesday’s result as evidence that he was right.

In short: It’s going to be a very rough ride.

More here:
    http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-mcmanus-trump-win-rough-ride-20161109-story.html
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Gnome Chomsky Member

The thought of Trump being surrounded by seasoned advisors is the only spark of optimism I can find in this theatre of the absurd.

Trump being handled seems a likely scenario due to his lack of experience , the same cannot be said about Clinton who is too devious and would see it for what it is.
    Granted it is not grounds for optimism but Clinton? No. Just no.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. White Tara Global Moderator

Shes booked in for a concession speech in the morning I believe.
  14. DeathHamster Member

Ollie North.
  15. Gnome Chomsky Member

Is that before or after the therapy session she'll need to calm her down after that defeat?
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Gnome Chomsky Member

Him I forgot along with his dirty hands.
  17. Random guy Member

I think Trump is going to be a mixed bag, some good, some bad. Clinton would have been too, I', sure. While I'm extremely happy I'm not an American (and the optimistic tomes in the offers of green-cards I get as spam sounds increasingly hollow), I don't know if his foreign policy is going to be such a catastrophe for us Johnny Foreigners. As long as he doesn't start a war (and I don't think he will, wars are bad for business), I think we'll be able to stand him for the next four years.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Random guy Member

Just thought I'd share this little analysis from the Guardian. The whole article is worth reading:

Sauce:
    Donald Trump is moving to the White House, and liberals put him there

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gnome Chomsky Member

Trump's war if he starts one is more likely to be an internal one full of angst once he realises how politically inexperienced he actually is.
    IMO he's the lesser of two evils and prolly more malleable than Clinton.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Gnome Chomsky Member

Between his giant ego and his sunbed it'll be quite a squeeze.
  21. I concede, Goodnight Sweet America

tumblr_inline_o1nbr35kE21qz4eqq_1280.jpg
    • Like Like x 2

22. Booked in at the Trump Hotel ?

Donald-Trump-Hillary-Clinton-Bill-Clinton.jpg

Or golf course ?

donald-trump-bill-clinton.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1

23. He sprays it on:
    trump-flipped.jpg

Attached Files:

24. How are the advisors going to keep him from going rogue? Sedation? He will agree to their policy then countermand it. He will give stupid policy talks "build a wall, bring the steel mills back to Pennsylvania" knowing it can't be done and then attack the republicans that don't push it thru congress. That's his game plan, for example his "there's going to be a softening" on his immigration policy right before he gets on the podium in Arizona and plans deportation squads.
    It's going to be 4 years of shitstorm and bad news, you know it's a disaster when Cruz seems ok. Environment, social policy on abortion, privacy rights, freedom of information, racism, antisemitism, and forget being a woman.
    No bright side here.
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

President elect Donald Trump: the Guardian view on a dark day for the world | Editorial | The Guardian

Last four paragraphs:

Four particular fears now stand out. The first is the unleashing of an unbridled conservative agenda in Washington, now that the Republicans control the White House and Capitol Hill together for the first time in 90 years. Mr Trump and the congressional Republicans have differences; he is more prepared to use the power of government than many of them are. But they have a clear path now towards reshaping the supreme court and dozens of lower-tier judicial benches in their own image. The effect on race, gender and sexual-equality issues is likely to outlast Mr Trump’s period in office. The culture wars will reopen. Abortion rights are threatened.

The second is the impact of this result on race in America more widely. Mr Trump campaigned against migrants and against Muslims, insulted black and Latino Americans, launched ads that some saw as covertly antisemitic, and was cheered to victory by every white racist in the land. His voters will want him to deliver. Every action he takes in this area threatens to divide and inflame. After a half century of uneven but undeniable racial progress in America, the consequences of every attempt to turn back the clock could be dire.

The third fear is whether Mr Trump has any economic plan that will deliver for some of the poor communities that gave him their votes so solidly. Mr Trump connected with the anger that many poor and white voters feel. But what can he do about it? What do most congressional Republicans care about it? He can try to put up all the protectionist walls he likes. But it seems difficult to see how he can bring old mines, mills and factories back to life. A lot of Americans feel left behind and let down. But Mr Trump is playing with fire if, in the end, it becomes clear that he has used their anxieties to advance himself and his own urban rich class yet again.

The final fear, though, is for the world. Mr Trump’s win means uncertainty about America’s future strategy in a world that has long relied on the United States for stability. But Mr Trump’s capacity to destabilise is almost limitless. His military, diplomatic, security, environmental and trade policies all have the capacity to change the world for the worse. Americans have done a very dangerous thing this week. Because of what they have done we all face dark, uncertain and fearful times.

More at https://www.theguardian.com/comment...t-elect-donald-trump-a-dark-day-for-the-world
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Gnome Chomsky Member

He's been giving stupid talks since he started his campaign, nothing new there.

Trump has a massive learning curve about to slap him hard in the face and his political ignorance and naivety are soon to become all the more apparent when pointed out by his advisors when they talk through the consequences of any policy he decides to put into practise.

Once he realises the expenditure involved in running a country as much as the responsibility he'll get a wake up call that that'll have him begging his advisors for help.

His misogynistic tendencies and headstrong behaviour will be under scrutiny too.

He's a vain man and as president of the United States he'll want to remain in power for as long as it maintains his interest.
    It's the most powerful job in the world and like it or not he has it.
  27. DeathHamster Member

Yeah. The problem with everything being done by advisors, is that it takes more than an empty suit to keep an eye on them.
  28. Gnome Chomsky Member

Idealistically it takes the combined brains and experience of good people working in unison to run the country and who have it's best interests at heart.

Idealistically.
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

If Donald Trump Implements His Proposed Policies, We’ll See Him in Court

By Anthony D. Romero, Executive Director, American Civil Liberties Union

Quote:

This morning, Donald J. Trump was elected the 45th president of the United States, and the ACLU has a message for him.

President-elect Trump, as you assume the nation’s highest office, we urge you to reconsider and change course on certain campaign promises you have made. These include your plan to amass a deportation force to remove 11 million undocumented immigrants; ban the entry of Muslims into our country and aggressively surveil them; punish women for accessing abortion; reauthorize waterboarding and other forms of torture; and change our nation’s libel laws and restrict freedom of expression.

These proposals are not simply un-American and wrong-headed, they are unlawful and unconstitutional. They violate the First, Fourth, Fifth, Eighth, and 14th Amendments. If you do not reverse course and instead endeavor to make these campaign promises a reality, you will have to contend with the full firepower of the ACLU at every step. Our staff of litigators and activists in every state, thousands of volunteers and millions of card-carrying members and supporters are ready to fight against any encroachment on our cherished freedoms and rights.

One thing is certain: We will be eternally vigilant every single day of your presidency. And when you leave the Oval Office, we will do the same with your successor as we have done throughout our nearly 100 years of existence. The Constitution and the rule of law are stronger than any one person, and we will see to that. We will never waver.

Source:
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-fre...ents-his-proposed-policies-well-see-him-court
    • Like Like x 2
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Meet Trump's Cabinet-in-waiting

He’s expected to reward the band of surrogates who stood by him.

By Nancy Cook and Andrew Restuccia, POLITICO

Quote:

President-elect Donald Trump does not have the traditional cadre of Washington insiders and donors to build out his Cabinet, but his transition team has spent the past several months quietly building a short list of industry titans and conservative activists who could comprise one of the more eclectic and controversial presidential cabinets in modern history.

Trumpworld has started with a mandate to hire from the private sector whenever possible. That’s why the Trump campaign is seriously considering Forrest Lucas, the 74-year-old co-founder of oil products company Lucas Oil, as a top contender for Interior secretary, or donor and Goldman Sachs veteran Steven Mnuchin as Treasury secretary.

He’s also expected to reward the band of surrogates who stood by him during the bruising presidential campaign including Newt Gingrich, Rudy Giuliani and Chris Christie, all of whom are being considered for top posts. A handful of Republican politicians may also make the cut including Sen. Bob Corker for secretary of State or Sen. Jeff Sessions for secretary of Defense.

Trump's divisive campaign may make it difficult for him to attract top talent, especially since so many politicians and wonks openly derided the president-elect over the past year. And Trump campaign officials have worried privately that they will have difficulty finding high-profile women to serve in his Cabinet, according to a person familiar with the campaign’s internal discussions, given Trump’s past comments about women.

Still, two Trump transition officials said they’ve received an influx of phone calls and emails in recent weeks, as the polls tightened and a Trump White House seemed more within reach.

So far, the Trump campaign and transition teams have been tight-lipped about their picks. (The Trump campaign has declined to confirm Cabinet speculation.) But here’s the buzz from POLITICO’s conversations with policy experts, lobbyists, academics, congressional staffers and people close to Trump.

Secretary of State

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a leading Trump supporter, is a candidate for the job, as is Republican Sen. Bob Corker (Tenn.), the current chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Corker has said he’d “strongly consider” serving as secretary of State.

Trump is also eyeing former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton.

Treasury secretary

Donald Trump himself has indicated that he wants to give the Treasury secretary job to his finance chairman, Steven Mnuchin, a 17-year-veteran of Goldman Sachs who now works as the chairman and chief executive of the private investment firm, Dune Capital Management. Mnuchin has also worked for OneWest Bank, which was later sold to CIT Group in 2015.

Secretary of Defense

Among the Republican defense officials who could join the Trump administration: Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), a close adviser, has been discussed as a potential Defense Secretary. Former National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley and former Sen. Jim Talent (R-Mo.) have also been mentioned as potential candidates.

Top Trump confidante retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn, the former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, would need a waiver from Congress to become defense secretary, as the law requires retired military officers to wait seven years before becoming the civilian leader of the Pentagon. But Trump’s chief military adviser is likely to wind up some senior administration post, potentially national security adviser. And other early endorsers like Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) could be in line for top posts as well.

Attorney general

People close to Trump say former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, one of Trump’s leading public defenders, is the leading candidate for attorney general. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, another vocal Trump supporter and the head of the president-elect’s transition team, is also a contender for the job — though any role in the Cabinet for Christie could be threatened by the Bridgegate scandal.

Another possibility: Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, though the controversy over Trump’s donation to Bondi could undercut her nomination.

Interior secretary

Forrest Lucas, the 74-year-old co-founder of oil products company Lucas Oil, is seen as a top contender for Interior Secretary.

Trump’s presidential transition team is also eyeing venture capitalist Robert Grady, a George H. W. Bush White House official with ties to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. And Trump’s son, Donald Trump, Jr., is said to be interested in the job.

Meanwhile, a person who spoke to the Trump campaign told POLITICO that the aides have also discussed tapping Sarah Palin for Interior Secretary. Trump has said he’d like to put Palin in his Cabinet, and Palin has made no secret of her interest.

Other possible candidates include: former Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer; Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin; Wyoming Rep. Cynthia Lummis; and Oklahoma oilman Harold Hamm.

Agriculture secretary

There are several names being considered by Trump aides for Agriculture secretary, according to multiple sources familiar with the transition. The president elect has a deep bench to pull from with nearly 70 leaders on agricultural advisory committee.

The most controversial name on the transition’s current short list is Sid Miller, the current secretary of agriculture in Texas, who caused a firestorm just days ago after his campaign’s Twitter account referred to Clinton as a ‘cunt.‘ Miller said it was a staffer mistake and apologized.

Continued here:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/who-is-in-president-trump-cabinet-231071
    • Like Like x 2
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Trump due in court before Oval Office | Reuters

Within a few weeks of winning the White House, President-elect Donald Trump could face another group of U.S. citizens, a federal jury in California, courtesy of a lawsuit by former students of his now-defunct Trump University who claim they were defrauded by a series of real-estate seminars.

A hearing in federal court in San Diego is set for Thursday, and the trial is scheduled to begin on Nov. 28, barring any delays or if Trump decides to settle the case.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-lawsuit-idUSKBN1343KV

Trump’s conflicts of interest are without precedent in American presidential history | The Washington Post

Donald Trump’s stunning victory will force the United States to confront a series of never-before-seen entanglements over the president’s private business, debts and rocky financial history.

No laws prohibit Trump from involving himself in his private company, the Trump Organization, while serving in the highest public office.

And Trump has so far resisted the long-standing presidential tradition of giving his holdings to an independent manager, stoking worries of conflicts of interests over his businesses’ many financial and foreign ties.

Trump’s business empire of hotels, golf courses and licensing deals in the U.S. and abroad, some of which have benefited from tax breaks or government subsidies, represents an ethical minefield for a commander in chief who would oversee the U.S. budget and foreign relations, some analysts say.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-precedent-in-american-presidential-history/

Private Prison Stocks Surge After Donald Trump Victory | Huffington Post

Investors see a promising future in the business of locking people up for profit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/private-prison-stocks-trump_us_582336c5e4b0e80b02ce3287

Trump Picks Top Climate Skeptic to Lead EPA Transition | Scientific American

Choosing Myron Ebell means Trump plans to drastically reshape climate policies

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-picks-top-climate-skeptic-to-lead-epa-transition/

Donald Trump Will Be President. This is What We Do Next. | The Intercept

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/09/donald-trump-will-be-president-this-is-what-we-do-next/
    • Like Like x 2
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

World resigned, but wary of unpredictable Donald Trump | CNN Politics

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/world-wary-unpredictable-donald-trump/

Election reaction: Protests across the country | CNN Politics

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/election-results-reaction-streets/

Donald Trump's Proposed Muslim Ban Pulled From Campaign Site | Complex

http://www.complex.com/life/2016/11/donald-trump-muslim-ban-statement-removed-from-website

The world's newspapers react to Trump's election victory | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...s-newspapers-react-to-trumps-election-victory

Trump Won. The Media Lost. What Next? | NPR

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/501460470/trump-won-the-media-lost-what-next

Bernie Sanders Says Donald Trump ‘Tapped Into the Anger of a Declining Middle Class’ | TIME

http://time.com/4565698/bernie-sanders-donald-trump-election/
  33. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-trump-hotel-protest-chicago-20161109-story.html
    Protesters block entrance to Trump Tower, stop traffic on Lake Shore Drive

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/trump-election-protests.html?_r=0
    Not Our President’: Protests Spread After Donald Trump’s Election

http://www.gq.com/story/bernie-sanders-trump-resistance
    Bernie Sanders Is Here to Lead the Anti-Trump Resistance
    "To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.
    Friends, take at least some solace in the fact that as the country prepares for [same shudder as earlier] President-elect Trump, Bernie Sanders remains a real one."

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/cleveland/anti-trump-protesters-march-in-cleveland/350535609
    Anti-Trump protesters march in Cleveland
  34. http://6abc.com/news/hundreds-march-in-anti-trump-protest-in-philadelphia/1599233/
    HUNDREDS MARCH IN ANTI-TRUMP PROTEST IN PHILADELPHIA

http://www.wpxi.com/news/thousands-...ties-across-us-including-pittsburgh/465793002
    Thousands join anti-Trump protests in cities across U.S., including Pittsburgh

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-live-protesters-gather-around-u-s-805255235752
    Watch Live: Protesters Gather Around U.S.
    WED, NOV 09

See protesters in New York City, Chicago and elsewhere gather to show opposition to Donald Trump's presidential election victory.
  35. The Internet Member