Customize

The Steubenville Rape Case Goes To Trial - GUILTY!!!

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by System, Mar 12, 2013.

1. System Member

W00t well no suprize tbh
    Ohio AG could target football coach, host of party
    http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-ag-could-target-football-coach-host-party-203958324--spt.html

One day after a judge convicted two high school football players of raping the 16-year-old girl in August, Steubenville's top official said she welcomed a new, wide-ranging probe into possible wrongdoing connected with the rape.

The announcement of the guilty verdict was barely an hour old Sunday when state Attorney General Mike DeWine said he was continuing his investigation and would consider charges against anyone who failed to speak up after the summertime attack. That group could include other teens, parents, school officials and coaches for the high school's beloved football team, which has won nine state championships.
  2. Anonymous Member

Oh yeah, CARF, that gives me a good feeling.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. fishypants Moderator

4. Anonymous Member

As a mandatory reporter myself, my guess is yes, for a variety of reasons, if what media has said about the testimony is accurate. But, we'll just have to wait and see

Failure to Report

https://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/report.pdf#Page=5&view=Fit <from page 17>

I
    • Like Like x 2
  5. fishypants Moderator

Interesting - how is the term defined?
  6. Anonymous Member

By Misdemeanor levels. There are both financial and imprisonment penalties that can be administered to someone found guilty, but Ohio is a bit lax in this area.

In Ohio, First Degree Misdemeanor cannot be more than a $1000US fine; Fourth Degree Misdemeanor cannot be more than a $250US fine

First Degree Misdemeanor cannot be more than 180 days imprisonment; Fourth Degree Misdemeanor cannot be more than 30 days imprisonment

By contrast, I believe Florida can assess a fine of up to $1 Million US for failure to report.

So, best-case for the guilty: $250/30 days
    worst case for the guilty: $1000/6 months

It looks like in failing to report, it would be the lower punishment of the two, except for mandated reporters <such as an assistant coach who allegedly hosted one of the parties>, which would be the higher of the two. With this particular law and IANAL, it appears Ohio only charges either 1st or 4th degree for this, and omits the use of 2nd and 3rd.

The "good" thing about mandatory reporting is it has to be reported within a very limited timeframe once the mandated reporter learns of the offense, not of when the offense actually took place. So, no one can claim the kids told them about it or they learned about it 5 days after the party so it would be too late to report. They would've had time (usually 48 hours), so until 7 days after the party to report it.

Many states (I'm not sure about Ohio) require each and every mandated reporter to file a report, regardless is they knew about someone else making a report or if they were present when the reporter hotlined it. For example, if the football team was talking about it during football practice the Monday after the party and <again, for example only> 12 of the assistant coaches overheard anything about it or were approached directly by anyone about it, then EACH of those 12 who did not report it would be responsible for reporting and liable for not.

Also, let's say Girl A was at the party - and wasn't friends with anyone involved with the assault, but saw something about it or heard something about it and approached her Math teacher for advice. The Math teacher would then be mandated to report it.

Mandated reporters are not liable for reporting <if it ended up not being accurate/no abuse was found> if it was done in good faith. They are liable if they do not report.

Hope this makes sense. Again, IANAL and my eyes are shot today from too much focused computer work.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Anonymous Member

CORRECTION EDIT: It looks like in failing to report, it would be the lower punishment of the two, except for mandated reporters DESCRIBED IN THE LAST PARAGRAPH OF THE OHIO STATUTE <such as an assistant coach who allegedly hosted one of the parties>, which would be the higher of the two.
  8. Anonymous Member

Where is the Winner button when I need it the most?
  9. Anonymous Member

10. Anonymous Member

Or Bruzzadallaville
  11. eddieVroom Member

Henry Rollins weighs in:
    http://www.underthegunreview.net/2013/03/18/henry-rollins-comments-on-steubenville-rape-verdict/

edit: my comment on that story...
    • Like Like x 7
  12. Kilia Member

13. Anonymous Member

http://www.newstatesman.com/laurie-penny/2013/03/steubenville-rape-cultures-abu-ghraib-moment

14. TMOT Member

Mr Rollins has come a long way. Thanks for the pointer, eddieVroom.
  15. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
    This one was kind of funny IMHO
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  16. Anonymous Member

No, it isn't funny, not one bit.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. fishypants Moderator

Thank you, Anon. It does.

http://www.legalbrief.co.za/article.php?story=20130320092819181

18. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Oh joy! I've sooo looked forward to something that could top the PSN Hax Butthurt!
    trollfaceur.png

&quot;We gonna get you guys back&quot; LOL... I haven't even had my morning pot of coffee and already I am laughing like a hyena.
    • Like Like x 4
  19. System Member

wasn't it Lulzsec who hacked PSN? last i hear their disbanding
  20. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

That fact didn't stop groves of forever alone permavirgin Sony fanbois from coming on here and in essence run my laundry bill through the roof. This time around I may have to invest in a box of Depends...

Point is: The pure butthurt from these gaggle of virgins blinded them to the fact WWP isn't in the same league as lulzsec and thought ALL Anonymous was one entity and ALL of Anonymous were responsible for their precious PSN going down and having to go out in that "outside" they only heard about.

Obviously that isn't true at all but that didn't stop them from coming on here and posting LOLable posts about how we were going to jail and the FBI was coming after WWP Anons. Frankly, I thought some of them could have won an Oscar for Best Comedic Post. I still smile when I think about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Anonymous Member

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

Your'e saying we're better, right?
  22. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

But of course!
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Anonymous Member

but it happened. This entitled feeling has been part of high school for many decades. But back in our time it wasn't publicized. But it was happening, and back then, the girl had no protection against the "It's her fault for being...a slut, drinking, partying,___" fill in the blank
  24. System Member

• Like Like x 4
  25. Anonymous Member

Football coach, host of the party needs to go to jail for serving alcohol to minors and contributing to the delinquency of minors and assisting sexual assault.
    He should be charged as a sex offender. Because he is.
    • Like Like x 8
  26. System Member

true im sure if i look it up there's a few felonies they can charge him with
  27. eddieVroom Member

And if she'd been knocked up in the process, she'd have been effectively "dissapeared".
    • Like Like x 1
  28. eddieVroom Member

Steubenville Rape Victim Asks for Donations to Battered Women’s Shelter

http://jezebel.com/5991440/steubenville-rape-victim-asks-for-donations-to-battered-womens-shelter
    • Like Like x 4
  29. System Member

i think i found some:
    1.Ohio Law decrees that 'no person, knowing that a felony has been or is being committed, shall knowingly fail to report such information to law enforcement authorities... Whoever violates division (A) or (B) of this section is guilty of failure to report a crime.

***(rape is a felony so this law applies somewhere it said this is a 5th degree felony 5th degree in ohio is slightly higher then a misdemeanor charge)

2. A person who furnishes alcohol to an underage person is guilty of a first-degree misdemeanor. The maximum penalty associated with this offense is six months imprisonment or $1,000 fine or both. A social host, therefore, risks being fined and imprisoned when he/she furnishes alcohol to a person who is not 21 years of age.

im sure there are waaaay more but here's 2 i found
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Anonymous Member

That happened to a girl down the street. She went to 'visit her aunt' (that was the euphemism used) for 9 months while the boy joined the Navy (and I recently learned, spent 30 years in uniform)
    But this wasn't rape, it was consensual, but it was in the mid 60s, when 'good' girls just didn't do that sort of thing.
  31. System Member

back then they had a blind eye to this sort of stuff
  32. Anonymous Member

Back then, the trophy pix were probably done with Polaroid instant cameras. Less of a trace and easier to destroy.

It's true that social media makes it harder on the victim now, but it gives them the option to charge the bastards. (As long as someone is watching and recording before the deletions.)

Achievement Unlocked:
    Rapists Convicted!
    • Like Like x 3
  33. Anonymous Member

owner of famous basement goes on the record...
    7News: Owner of Home Where Steubenville Video Shot Speaks Out [video]
  34. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Soo... the slime-balls just "magically" appeared in your basement and raped her? Either your son let these vermin in, other family members let these degenerates in, or you did. I don't believe they just "appeared" and did their act in a puff of smoke.

Also: LOL @ "the nightmare isn't over" statement. Why, it has only warmed up! The Nightmare hasn't even started yet!
    • Like Like x 4
  35. Anonymous Member

For the victim, no, probably not.

"OMG a girl was raped in our basement outta nowhere! How can we live through this nightmare?!"
    • Like Like x 3
  36. Anonymous Member

A Wild Rape Party Appears In Your Basement!
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Anonymous Member

create e-petition to rename town Lulzcowville y/n
    • Like Like x 2
  38. Anonymous Member

He was somewhere else at a different party?

Marty, assuming that you weren't home, didn't you lay down the parental law that he was responsible for making sure that the party didn't get out of hand?

Bad parent!
  39. Anonymous Member

Steubenville 2: Electric Boogaloo
    13-Year-Old CT Girl Taunted on Twitter After Sexual Assault Allegations Against Two Football Players
    [IMG]
  40. Anonymous Member

How about "RapeVille" or "Stupidville"?