Customize

The Supreme Leader

Discussion in 'Iran' started by EastSideRambler, Jun 16, 2009.

1. I'm an American who's never been to Iran and of course the media coverage we Americans receive about your part of the world is filtered and often incomplete. I've followed the news sources from around the world via the internet but I'm still left with more questions than answers.
    As best I can ascertain, the progressive majority (that supposedly lost the election) is largely comprised of young people and the highly educated. People who believe it is possible to move forward while retaining Iran's proud history and traditions.
    Am I incorrect to think that perhaps the Supreme Leader saw the progressive movement in this election as a threat to his continued influence?
    I've been wondering about this dynamic for days.
  2. Sure, as any leader would. Even if you try to push it out of your mind, self-preservation (including preservation of substantial power) is hard to strip from influening one's behaviors.
  3. This is an obvious point. Khamenie isn't and has never been happy about the anything progressive. Progress is a threat to the regime. The regime is based on expired and conservative Islamic traditions and values and without these laws and values there will be no need for mullahs thus they will useless and out of jobs.
  4. That was my assumption as well. I was kind of hoping some of the good people in Iran would paint me a picture of what role if any he was playing in this historic time.