Customize

Thelma Arnold could of just denied it right?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Anonymous Member

Just been reading about the AOL scandal and the fact that someone was identified via there search terms.
    Was wondering if there were any cases of anyone else who had ever been identified from so called anonymous data?
    Given that click-stream data even in a anonymous form is probably allot more raveling as to a persons identity rather than just a string of search terms how come people don't get identified all the time?
    There must be tons of this data lying around surely some gets leaked or hacked once in a while how incriminating is it? I mean Thelma Arnold could of just denied it was her and no one would of been able to prove otherwise, is this the same with with click-stream data, if there is any personally identifiable information contained within the stream it's just an educated guess as to who that person is and not 100% conclusive I would assume.
  2. Anonymous Member

"could've" = "could have"

I stopped reading after that.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Indeed.

Will the last speaker of proper English please take our flag with them when we depart?
    Oh, wait...
  4. Anonymous Member

Ever so terribly sorry wernt proper English what they teach'd me at school.
  5. There is such a thing as a "footprint" on the net and depending on the amount of personal information you make public on social media or anywhere else online you should realise your profile or any other personal details will come to light.
  6. Anonymous Member

Thanks for the reply I wasn't really talking about what information you post on social media or knowingly make public, I have a Facebook account I've told them my name my age and put a big picture of me on there for the world to see and every morning I get up and tell my 500 plus friends most of whom I have no connection with in the real world what I'm having for breakfast and I'm fine with that.
    I also use Amazon, Ebay, etc... on a regular basis, they know my name, address and every thing I do whilst on their site, hey I'm fine with that. I never post anything on social media or like any pages I'd be ashamed to admit in public, if someone tags my in a drunken photo big deal, if Amazon wants to keep a record of every item I've ever purchased or looked at no probs these are sites with which I've knowingly given my personal details and don't mind anything I do there be attributed to me.
    Then I log out of Facebook and go to the N.H.S direct or net doctor site and look for symptoms of a sexually transmitted disease I think I've picked up, I read a news article on some controversial political group I saw on the news, I look at all sorts of shit on sites I never signed into never gave any of my personal details to, my question is really can this browsing activity be tied to me as a individual, I know that there are third party tracking companies all over the internet who record browsing activity but can what I do on a site that I have no real relationship with be linked to me in the real world and if so to what extent can it be proven. In other words if one day in ten years time there's big data leak from Doubleclick and a journalist from the New York Times knocks on my door and asks if I made these particular Google searches or if I ever had Gonorrhea, could I simply say nah wasn't me must of been someone else.
  7. Anonymous Member

Thanks for the reply I wasn't really talking about what information you post on social media or knowingly make public, I have a Facebook account I've told them my name my age and put a big picture of me on there for the world to see and every morning I get up and tell my 500 plus friends most of whom I have no connection with in the real world what I'm having for breakfast and I'm fine with that.
    I also use Amazon, Ebay, etc... on a regular basis, they know my name, address and every thing I do whilst on their site, hey I'm fine with that. I never post anything on social media or like any pages I'd be ashamed to admit in public, if someone tags my in a drunken photo big deal, if Amazon wants to keep a record of every item I've ever purchased or looked at no probs these are sites with which I've knowingly given my personal details and don't mind anything I do there be attributed to me.
    Then I log out of Facebook and go to the N.H.S direct or net doctor site and look for symptoms of a sexually transmitted disease I think I've picked up, I read a news article on some controversial political group I saw on the news, I look at all sorts of shit on sites I never signed into never gave any of my personal details to, my question is really can this browsing activity be tied to me as a individual, I know that there are third party tracking companies all over the internet who record browsing activity but can what I do on a site that I have no real relationship with be linked to me in the real world and if so to what extent can it be proven. In other words if one day in ten years time there's big data leak from Doubleclick and a journalist from the New York Times knocks on my door and asks if I made these particular Google searches or if I ever had Gonorrhea, could I simply say nah wasn't me must of been someone else.
  8. Anonymous Member

Google would know it was you. Ads for condoms and medical clinics will show up on your side bar.
  9. Google is not your friend.
  10. Anonymous Member

And nor do I want it to be, that's why I never gave them my name or address, sure I use Google products such as Chrome and Google Search and if Google wants to show me ads for things I look at in return I'm happy with that trade off, I just dont like the thought that they know ME!! as a person or that they can tie a name to my browsing activity or that if their data got into the wrong hands someone else could link my browsing history to me. I've read that they make any data from non signed in users anonymous after 18 months so I take some relive in that fact and suppose there's so much data lying around on servers all over the world the chances that my one or two embarrassing ventures around the web will probably never come to light.
  11. Anonymous Member

Google is not your friend. There is NO reason to use it. Use Startpage or DuckDuckGo. They do not record your IP address. Google does.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JohnnyRUClear Member

Correcting all the Engrish errors in the OP would result in a sea of red to make Peckinpah blanch.

I'd comment on the actual subject, but I have no idea what it was.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

The Red Pencil is a bitch.
  14. Anonymous Member