Customize

TIMELINE: L. Ron Hubbard on the run from the law

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Budd, May 17, 2013.

1. Budd Member

It would be interesting to trace the travels of LRH's life as he ran from the law, i.e. he moved his base of operations to Saint Hill in England in this year because he was hiding from the American authorities because of ... and he left South Africa in this year because of ... and he sought refuge on his ship in this year... etc.

I don't want to build an entire chronology of Scientology - this has been done well at http://www.scientology-lies.com/chronology - just a timeline of Hubbard uprooting himself, his family, or his base of operations and relocating when it suddenly got hot and he needed either to hide out or seek anonymity/asylum.

To get us started:
    1980 - Mary Sue Hubbard, Cindy Raymond, Gerald Bennett Wolfe, Henning Heldt, Duke Snider, Gregory Willardson, Richard Weigand, Mitchell Herman, Sharon Thomas, Jane Kember, and Mo Budlong, all high-ranking Scientologists, were convicted and sent to prison for five years. L. Ron Hubbard was named by federal prosecutors as an "unindicted co-conspirator" and went into hiding for the rest of his life.[8][14]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

Phoenix
    Los Angeles
    Saint Hill, England
    South Africa
    Rhodesia
    various ships
    RV travel trailer
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Anonymous Member

This project seems to be about tracking the ship, where it went and what Hubbard got up to when on it.
  3. Budd Member

No, not just the ship(s). I know that he lived in many different cities in several different countries, including the ship which when on the high seas was outside of a country's legal jurisdiction. I just think it would be interesting to see that each time the law started to come down on him, he magically disappeared to another city or country entirely, or even out into safe international waters.
  4. Not meaning to completely derail a worthy thread, but… I have always wondered where Hubbard got his funding prior to the inception of the larger scam. Who financed him?

/derail
    /thread
  5. Asheera Member

6. Asheera Member

As promised:

DEBRIEF OF JIM DINCALCI ON MY TRIP WITH LRH IN 1973

This is being written over a year after the trip which started on 4 December and ended for me at 24th Sept 73 one week after LRH arrived back on Flag.

In the beginning of Dec 72 LRH came up from Tanger because of possible trouble in Maroo and LRH did not want to get the Scientologists there pulled in on it as the trouble was directed at him. So he came up to Lisbon alone. I was contacted when he came up as I was the Flag Medical Officer who had been working with LRH as his MO also. I had been giving him Massages and vitamin program and had been going down to Maroo as courier to give him massages.

On 4dec in Lisbon LRH was told by John Bragin CS PRAC that he could be extradited to France from Portugal on a court case which was occurring in Paris against the org and LRH. LRH therefore decided to go to the US as opposed to pulling in trouble to the ship which was being refitted and couldn’t go us.

He was planning on going with just Paul Preston who was acting as steward and body guard. (Paul had been a green Beret in the US army as a seargent and then in the special forces.)

I asked LRH if I could go also as a second on the trip there going independently not in contact with he or Paul in case there was trouble I would be able to communicate this out to get it handled right away.

LRH okayed this so we left that morning early for the airport. Me staying away from the group. After some plane delay we got off to New York and arrived. LRH had trouble in customs as he was carrying $100,000.00 cash which had to be declared. From there we went together to the City after passing through customs.

In New York city we ate, I got a different hotel that LRH and Paul. It was decided I would be staying with them until LRH went back to the ship. I went and bought Clothes for LRH and myself so that his mock up could be changed. The hotels were checked into with different names, from there on out our real names were not used so that attention would not be drawn to LRH.

The next day we moved to a very nice Aptment building in ???? an outlaying part of the city called Queens called the Executive. It had a nice view, close to subway and had Pool heated.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Budd Member

A quick skim of http://www.wikiscientology.org/archiv/timetrack/ for the years 1950-1970 and then 1975 1980 1985 brings out...

1950: Soon the New Jersey authorities and the American Medical Association challenged the veracity of the new faith. L. Ron Hubbard met the challenge by fleeing the state (not the last time this was to happen). A frequent memory of Ron Jr. is his father's packing up shoe boxes with thousands of dollars to move on to greener and safer pastures."
    https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/is-it-true-you-met-l-ron-hubbard.110845/page-9

Apr 1951: Now, after only a few months, the Foundations were more or less bankrupt, thousands of followers were disillusioned, and Hubbard's private life was splashed all over the newspapers. It was time to cut and run. For Hubbard, it was just another of many new beginnings. The head of the Omega Oil Company, Don Purcell, an ardent Hubbard admirer who had been an early visitor to the Elizabeth Foundation, saved the day. Don Purcell was a self-made millionaire. He offered Hubbard funds and new premises in Wichita, Kansas. He also offered to pay the debts of the original Foundation... The remaining Foundations were closed.

April 1952: By April, Ron and Mary Sue had left the short-lived Hubbard College in Wichita, and moved to Phoenix, Arizona, where they opened the new world headquarters of Hubbardian therapy.

In mid-September 1952, L. Ron Hubbard flew to London... Although during that visit he was in England less than three months, he nevertheless gave 66 public lectures...

Nov 25, 1952: LRH returns to the United States, with Mary Sue and the baby, to deliver a series of lectures in Philadelphia, where the Scientology franchise is being run by Helen O'Brien and her husband.

Dec 31, 1952: LRH returns to London, where the Hubbard Association of Scientologists International, or HASI, has opened for business at 163 Holland Park Avenue.

April 1 1952: Hubbard packed his belongings into the back of his yellow Pontiac convertible and heads out of Wichita on the Kansas Turnpike with his teenage bride of four weeks, Mary Sue, beside him on the front scat. Their destination, one thousand miles to the west, is Phoenix, Arizona, where loyal aides have already put up a sign outside a small office at 1405 North Central Street, announcing it as the headquarters of the Hubbard Association of Scientologists.

Dec 15, 1953: LRH incorporates three new churches--the Church of American Science, the Church of Scientology and the Church of Spiritual Engineering--in Camden, New Jersey.

Spring 1959: ..in the spring of 1959, Hubbard purchased the Maharajah of Jaipur's English manor house and estate in the beautiful Sussex countryside, at Saint Hill village, a few miles from East Grinstead. Upon his arrival, Hubbard set up the Scientology World-wide Management Control Center...

March1964: During this period LRH is getting angrier and angrier....so much so he is in a constant state of rage. There are no safe spaces near LRH. He is thrown out of Rhodesia...he is thrown out of England......something is badly wrong during this period.

Feb 7, 1965: (recalling a past incident) He ran to England to escape the IRS and tax problems.

April 6, 1966: The CIA headquarters in the United States receives a cable from an agent in Rhodesia: Request traces of L. Ron Hubbard, US citizen recently arrived.

April 15, 1966: LRH has/buys a large four-bedroom house with a swimming-pool in the exclusive Alexander Park suburb of Salisbury in Rhodesia, and has opened negotiations to acquire the Bumi Hills Hotel on Lake Kariba. His plan, purportedly, is to use the hotel as a luxury base from which to spread the influence of Scientology.

July 5, 1966: LRH receives a letter from the Department of Immigration informing him that his application for an extension to his Alien's Temporary Residence Permit has been unsuccessful: 'this means that you will be required to leave Rhodesia on or before the 18th July, 1966'.
    Dec 31, 1966: Having failed to secure a "safe-point" in Rhodesia from which to resist the encroachments of the Suppressives, Hubbard planned to take to the High Seas. Having given his last Saint Hill Briefing Course lecture, Hubbard left for North Africa at the end of 1966.

Early 1967: Early in 1967, Hubbard flew to Las Palmas, and Virginia Downsborough, who cared for him after his arrival, was astonished that he was existing almost totally on a diet of drugs. For three weeks Hubbard was bedridden, while Downsborough weaned him off this diet. The Enchanter, a 50-foot Bermuda ketch, sailed to meet him in Las Palmas.

Oct 6, 1967: A larger vessel had been purchased, and sailed with an inexperienced crew to meet Hubbard at Las Palmas. The Avon River was a 414-ton trawler.

June 5, 1968: The Royal Scotman arrives in the harbor at Marseilles looking better than she had at any time since going into service for the Sea Org. She has been painted white from stem to stern, her brasswork is gleaming and the entire crew has been fitted out with new uniforms. LRH presides over a ceremony to remove all lower conditions, and moves back into his cabin on board.

Jan 8, 1980: Hubbard went into deep hiding.

Aug 15, 1980: In mid-August, the Royal Scotman had slipped into Corfu harbor.

Aug 20, 1980: The Avon River joins the flagship, the Royal Scotman, in Corfu.

Feb 1980: Shortly thereafter in February or March 1980, Hubbard hightailed it out of his apartment in Hemet, with the two Messengers who were "on Watch," Pat and Annie Broeker. Hubbard disappeared without trace. He probably left because of the strong possibility that he would be subpoenaed by the Paulette Cooper grand jury in New York.

July 16, 1980: The GO, which had precious little to celebrate, was able to rejoice with the news that the British government's use of the Aliens Act against Scientology was finally over. After twelve years, foreign Scientologists could once more enter Britain legally. However, the restrictions on Hubbard's re-entry were not lifted.

Dec 1981: Gerald Armstrong claims that this is about the time that he last sees L. Ron Hubbard.
    UPI story of 14 November 1982, on file Note: The referenced UPI story [14 November 1982] says that Gerald Armstrong claimed that he "last saw Hubbard toward the end of last year." This entry is placed here to reflect that. Date is estimated based on the language of the UPI story. But LRH is supposed to have disappeared in February, 1980, and NO ONE--except the Broekers--is supposed to have ever seen him alive again. How did Gerald Armstrong see him "toward the end" of 1981? Somebody is LYING!

Mar 8, 1985: Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, not seen in public since 1980, has been ordered by a judge to appear this month and answer questions as part of a lawsuit filed by the organization.

1980: Mary Sue Hubbard, Cindy Raymond, Gerald Bennett Wolfe, Henning Heldt, Duke Snider, Gregory Willardson, Richard Weigand, Mitchell Herman, Sharon Thomas, Jane Kember, and Mo Budlong, all high-ranking Scientologists, were convicted and sent to prison for five years. L. Ron Hubbard was named by federal prosecutors as an "unindicted co-conspirator" and went into hiding for the rest of his life.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White[/quote]

TLDR. So what does all this prove? Absolutely nothing. However, it WOULD be nice to see a real pattern of legal trouble, and an ensuing move to a new location. Hubbard was a long-term scam artist, frequently on the run from the authorities.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

http://www.spaink.net/cos/LRH-bio/olsen.htm
    He also embezzled a boat in the late 40s.
  9. Budd Member

Hmm, I can no longer edit the above post, but add to it 1950...
    "Soon the New Jersey authorities and the American Medical Association challenged the veracity of the new faith. L. Ron Hubbard met the challenge by fleeing the state (not the last time this was to happen). A frequent memory of Ron Jr. is his father's packing up shoe boxes with thousands of dollars to move on to greener and safer pastures."
    - https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/is-it-true-you-met-l-ron-hubbard.110845/page-9
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ogsonofgroo Member

I think you might be referring to the old windbag taking Parson's for a ride, running off with his gf( Sarah N.), and a substantial amount of cash to start a new business fllipping boats or some such Hubbardish bullshit, and creating a navy etc. etc.. Guesstimate late '46? Interesting article HERE from The Watchman Expositor.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Asheera Member

Just keep posting stuff and I'll add it in when needed.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Anonymous Member

Probably pretty close as Crowley (who died in '47) was still around to call JP a fool for getting up to the Babylon thingy.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Anonymous Member

Yep...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Whiteside_Parsons#Allied_Enterprises
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ogsonofgroo Member

Ah thanks mon! And if I recall correctly ol' Tubs filtched on the repayment, a highly typical scilon practice carried on to this day :)

*cheers!
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Budd Member

Thank you, Asheera, for updating my post with this added information.
    Say... while we're at it, could you maybe add this paragraph from the very top post to the long one with all the dated entries? THANK YOU!

1980 - Mary Sue Hubbard, Cindy Raymond, Gerald Bennett Wolfe, Henning Heldt, Duke Snider, Gregory Willardson, Richard Weigand, Mitchell Herman, Sharon Thomas, Jane Kember, and Mo Budlong, all high-ranking Scientologists, were convicted and sent to prison for five years. L. Ron Hubbard was named by federal prosecutors as an "unindicted co-conspirator" and went into hiding for the rest of his life.[8][14]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

Hmm, speaking of Mary Sue... what ever happened to her? Did she die, disappear... or give up her body and go to another planet to research, like Ron did?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

I'm not sure that you are derailing the thread. My point being that L Ron Hubbard was already on the run from authorities before he even started Dianetics when he was running hi "Allied Scientists of the World" mail fraud scam. The fat fuck was always just a step ahead of the law . . .

fbi-allied-scientists-featu.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Budd Member

March 1964 ?John McMaster (Clear #2 ?) said, "The real reason that Hubbard was kicked out of Rhodesia was that his cheques bounced."
    - Lawrence Wright: "Going Clear: "Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief" on page 93

"The ship (Avon River?) was refused assistance during heavy storm in the strait" of Gibraltar.
    - Lawrence Wright: "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief" on page 109

July 1968
    "England banned foreign Scientologists from entering the country for study in July 1968 and declared Hubbard an undesirable alien." Ha, they do not realize how right they were!
    - Lawrence Wright: "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief" on page 109

March 1969
    "The overboardings contributed to the decision of the Greek government to expel the Scientology crew from Corfu in March 1969."
    - Lawrence Wright: "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief" on page 110

mid-1969
    After the false World Foundation for Mental Health fiasco in Bern, Switzerland Hubbard "ordered them back to the ship, "for your protection." As soon as they returned to Cagliari, Hubbard cast off lines and set a course through the Strait of Gibraltar for open water. He even changed the names of his ships, in order to erase the connections with Scientology."
    - Lawrence Wright: "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief" on page 114

December 1972
    "The Scientologists were expelled from the country, leaving a trail of confusion and recrimination behind them."
    - Lawrence Wright: "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief" on page 117
    • Like Like x 1
  18. what I've heard Hubbard got his ass kicked out of zimbabwe, I want to know the exact reason only thing i can find is

McMaster remembers a heavy-handed attempt by Hubbard to influence Prime Minister Ian Smith while he was living in Alexander Park in Salisbury. Ron had his chauffeur drive him out in his yellow Pontiac with two bottles of pink champagne, which he had to leave with the butler because Mrs Smith would not receive him. "There are things like protocol, you know, just general decency," says McMaster. "You don't just barge in on somebody like a tramp steamer misdocking. All these nuances of understanding, I began to realize, he didn't have." With some distaste John McMaster adds, "He told me Ian Smith was going to be shot because he was a 'Suppressive'. I now have no comment. But the real reason that Hubbard was kicked out of Rhodesia was that his cheques bounced

attempting high political figures what else is new? Also fighting for apartheid is a no-no in a predominantly black nation, why I am hearing this in my head:

I have never a genuinely nice scientologist either
  19. jensting Member

I remember recent boosk (well, books coming out recently) as being helpful. I would start with Lawrence Wright's "Going Clear" and the new edition of Jon Atack's "A Piece of Blue Sky."

(Sorry - can't quickly search and quote, my copies of both of these are on paper.)