Customize

TIME's Person of the Year 2011: The Protester

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Dec 14, 2011.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

TIME's Person of the Year 2011

The Protester

No one could have known that when a Tunisian fruit vendor set himself on fire in a public square, it would incite protests that would topple dictators and start a global wave of dissent. In 2011, protesters didn’t just voice their complaints; they changed the world.

Introduction: http://www.time.com/time/person-of-the-year/2011/

The Protester - Person of the Year 2011

Eight-page article: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2101745_2102132,00.html

Photo Essay: The Protester: A Portfolio by Peter Hapak

lightbox_hapak_cop_mona.jpg?w=735.jpg

Captain Ray Lewis, retired Philadelphia Police Officer recently arrested at Occupy Wall Street. "Walking across that intersection handcuffed was the proudest moment of my life." Lewis said. Mona Eltahawy, Egyptian-American journalist who was arrested and assaulted by police in Cairo in November. "The past 12 hrs were painful and surreal, but I know I got off much much easier that so many other Egyptians," Eltahawy tweeted.

http://lightbox.time.com/2011/12/14/person-of-the-year-2011-protesters-2/#1
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Random guy Member

I suppose that's a decent pat on the shoulder for not selecting Moot as person of the year last time?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. AnonLover Member

8 stinkin pages... gawd my reading list for the week is getting backlogged.
  4. Anonymous Member

Nope, didn't see it coming.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. greebly Member

No one could have known that a load of people on the interwebs helped setup dialup accounts so those who were restricted by thier governments in Libya and other countries could access the internet and tell thier stories.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Bipolart Member

7. Anonymous Member

fify,
    egofaggot
    ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  8. RightOn Member

9. Jeff Jacobsen Member

What do we get?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. xenubarb Member

You and a friend get to watch the Obamas eat brunch. Not actually join them, just watch.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. AnonLover Member

this was a looooong read. and sorta boring.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

MMFlint Michael Moore
    Tomorrow in a longer blog I will name the individual TIME left off the list, and why he shares a spot with Bouazizi as the one who started it all.
    43 seconds ago
  13. Quentinanon Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. telomere Member

derail? yeah.
    Nothing to see here, folks.
    plz don't click on the cryptome link

pict2.jpg

pict46.jpg
  15. 00anon00 Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 9
  17. Anonymous Member

18. Anonymous Member

19. Anonymous Member

20. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  21. telomere Member

pride_parade.jpg
    Serbia
    (2010, sorry)
  22. eddieVroom Member

• Like Like x 4
  23. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  24. whosit Member

Fun article. They equate people that set themselves on fire and get shot for freedom with the douchebags of Occupy Wall Street.

Oh well. It isn't like some people face real diversity and the others like to cry and moan because other people want to make their life better in the long run.

Evil tea party people.
  25. telomere Member

You're saying tea party protesters don't deserve commendation for their efforts?
  26. whosit Member

27. Orson Member

Yeah, buncha douchebags. Look at these two douchebags from the article. One's a douchebag physician from Occupy and the other douchebag is a douchebag Egyptian dentist equating his country's struggle for freedom with Occupy Wall Street. Douchebags.

Fucking douchebag Egyptian losses both eyes and yet he still sees the relationship between the two movements.

• Like Like x 5
  28. telomere Member

But I really want to know why whosit hates the Tea Party so much.
    He must have festering resentment of the USA and their dearly earned Freedoms.
  29. Anonymous Member

Nope, just doesn't like tea.
  30. Stickman Member

I'll admit to skimming the article, but doesn't Time give short shrift to the Wikileak'd US State dept cables on influencing global protests in it? Am I conflating that? Despite it being a 2010 event, it seemed the catalyst for some of these 2011 events, esp Anonymous' controversial shift into global politics and their role in the Arab Spring.
  31. Anonymous Member

You are correct on all points, but Time doesn't like anonymous much since their Person of the Year poll was rigged for moot to win (marblecakealsothegame.jpg).
  32. Stickman Member

Also tough to quantify as an outsider, but OWS seemed about half Anon-driven too, maybe even more when it almost faltered a few days in. And all the 2011 ddos activity & ethical phishing was obviously protesting of a sort too, even when it (unfortunately) became internecine e-warfare. Results are more important than credit anyway and America seems to have been accidentallyed to a surprisingly high degree, however it went down.

From today's LA Weekly:
    Sarah Mason, TIME's Protester of the Year:

time%20protester-thumb-180x240.jpg View attachment time%20cover%20protester%20shepard%20fairey%20orig
    Ah, the elusive Sarah Mason -- she of the knit yellow cap and 99 percent bandana, gracing TIME's already iconic "Person of the Year" cover for 2011, yet turning her face from this new spotlight and returning no press calls (that we know of).

Just as any good, principled occupier would do. However, because we're mildly obsessed at this point, we spent the day ravaging the Internet for photos, videos and stories that could fill in the holes behind Mason's cover shoot.

(Which was, as we already told you, shot by LA Weekly freelancer Ted Soqui and cartoonified by L.A. street artist Shepard Fairey. See right.)
    Mission accomplished. It appears the dreamy-eyed 25-year-old was among 20 Occupy L.A. protesters who linked arms in a circle around a pop-up encampment at the center of Bank of America Plaza on November 17. That day's march had begun at a downtown intersection, where LAPD riot cops arrested various protesters for failure to disperse, and ended at the B of A.

(Which was, as we already told you, shot by LA Weekly freelancer Ted Soqui and cartoonified by L.A. street artist Shepard Fairey.)

Mission accomplished. It appears the dreamy-eyed 25-year-old was among 20 Occupy L.A. protesters who linked arms in a circle around a pop-up encampment at the center of Bank of America Plaza on November 17. That day's march had begun at a downtown intersection, where LAPD riot cops arrested various protesters for failure to disperse, and ended at the B of A.
    View attachment sarah%20mason%20ring%20close%20small-thumb-550x357

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/12/sarah_mason_time_protester_photos_occupy_la.php
    • Like Like x 5
  33. whosit Member

I like the stache and the goatee. Also I didn't think I could get you riled up.

And seriously... you're siting an article that is equating people in Cairo to people in Oakland. As a person that has traveled outside the US and seen real poverty. Fuck that. The worst off in Oakland is doing 10 times better that the majority of the middle class in the rest of the world (outside Western Europe). Whatever.
  34. Anonymous Member

You really are one massive dumb faggot aren't you? Really. Massive. Dumb. Faggot.

So in your retarded world view - those who rely on soup kitchens and handouts in the USA should never complain because there are kids in Darfur that haven't eaten for a week.

Seriously.

die_in_a_fire.jpg
  35. whosit Member

Why am I a "dumb faggot"?

Maybe you should go take a look at the rest of the world and wonder why.
  36. adhocrat Member

it's simple:
    You are a dumb faggot because you don't believe in the prevailing wisdom. So please change your heresy or...well you know the rest.
  37. Anonymous Member

I've likely seen more of this planet than you ever will. And your logic is filled with AIDS.

In your remedial viewpoint you say that activists looking to promote social justice are "douchebags" because some people have it way worse in different unspecified countries.

You are clearly a fucking idiot. May all your hopes and dreams turn to shit before your eyes.