Customize

Tony Ortega: Legoland donates $10,000 to Scientology front YHRI on behalf of Jenna Elfman

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Dec 1, 2015.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Legoland theme park donates $10,000 to Scientology front on behalf of Jenna Elfman

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, December 1, 2015

Our friend and fellow journalist Mark Ebner alerted us last night to a fairly mindblowing statement posted on Twitter on Monday afternoon. The Legoland theme park in Carlsbad, California announced that it is donating $10,000 to the Scientology front group Youth for Human Rights, and in the name of actress Jenna Elfman.

The timing was apparently not an accident. Just minutes before that tweet was posted, Elfman had been the celebrity guest who helped Legoland California turn on the lights of its annual Christmas tree.

Early this morning we fired off an email to Legoland California media relations manager Julie Estrada to confirm the information in the tweet and to solicit an answer to the question, did Legoland have any idea that Youth for Human Rights is a Scientology front?

We’re going to guess that Legoland rewarded Elfman with a donation to the charity of her choice in return for helping them light their Christmas tree, and that Elfman, a longtime Scientologist, asked them to donate the money to Youth for Human Rights.

There's a lot more here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/12/01/le...-scientology-front-on-behalf-of-jenna-elfman/
    • Like Like x 4
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

3. Quentinanon Member

Choice of celebrity endorsement and donation target indicates gross lack of research by their public relations staff.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tony Macaroni messes with the Elfman on the shelf

original-jpg.215590.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  5. RightOn Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. RightOn Member

From Ortega:
    UPDATE: We received a response from Legoland California media relations manager Julie Estrada. Here’s what she sent us in an email…
    “We invite our tree lighting guests, without prejudice, and provide a small donation to their charity of choice in appreciation of their participation.”
    We had asked her if Legoland California was aware that Youth for Human Rights was a Scientology front, but we’re apparently not going to get an answer to that question."

MAN THE HARPOONS!
    OH THIS PISSES ME OFF ROYALLY!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RightOn Member

Lots of Estradas in COS completions. Yeah I know, a common name. But the ones that are closest to her name are listed as celebrities

8. You called ?

GTY_chips_1_kab_150323_16x9_992.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RightOn Member

10. Kilia Member

Legoland is getting an army- full of Twitter feedback on their terrible error.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

Lego-land Park in California Sparks Outrage with $10,000 Donation to Scientology Group

By Roger Friedman, Showbiz411

Legoland in Carlsbad, California must be desperate for celebrity involvement. In exchange for a Christmas tree lighting appearance by TV actress Jenna Elfman, Lego donated $10,000 to a Scientology group in honor of the cult member.

<snipped>

The donation to YHRI has already sparked outrage on Twitter. I discovered it thanks to the indefatigable Tony Ortega, who writes a fuller version of the story on his website. Ortega writes:

“Youth for Human Rights International (YHRI) was founded in 2001 by Scientologist Dr. Mary Shuttleworth, who has also tried to push Scientology on the nation’s schools through the front group Applied Scholastics. Like other Church of Scientology front groups, YHRI pretends to have a benign purpose that has nothing to do with Scientology. In this case, YHRI is one of several groups under the umbrella United for Human Rights that has created videos and pamphlets based on the principles spelled out in a 1948 United Nations proclamation, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.”

A little addition: Actress Marisol Nichols is the Advisory Board Chairperson for YHRI. She’s a huge Scientologist, with dozens of courses behind her, and no doubt millions of dollars in donations raised.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/12/0...ith-10000-donation-10000-to-scientology-group
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Lets put this thread in the situation room

I will contact a mod
  13. anon8109 Member

The twisted logic of using Heber Jentzsch to talk about Scientology’s efforts in human rights is one of those times when words like “irony” and “hypocrisy” simply fail to express what’s going on. When you watch that 2006 video, you’re seeing a man who, since 2004, had been held in a literal prison for top Scientology executives known as “The Hole.”

The word that Ortega is looking for is scientological.

scientological adj., extreme irony, hypocrisy, and perversion, sometimes in conjunction with criminality or intent to cause harm.

origin Scientology, a malicious organization created by a greedy science fiction author.

example The warlord's use of child soldiers to decimate their own relative's villages was scientological.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. THIS IS A MAYOR TRAP:

nl.youthforhumanrights.org/
    • Like Like x 1

15. I miss my Mods

Jenna Elfman has let her agency stirpped the Internet of her shoops. On why we protest we have them. I despise managers
  16. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Done. Kiss me?
  17. Onley if you are a girl
  18. Disambiguation Global Moderator

How about if I wear a burkka so you can't tell. Kiss me?
  19. Shit, I am afraid I will end up a moderator before my trme.

I never hol;d a grudge

I do get mad at boys lying about things, You won't expect grown ups to lie

nuf said
  20. Legoland Sparks Outrage With $10,000 Donation To Church Of Scientology On Behalf Of Jenna Elfman [Video]

Inquisitr: Legoland Sparks Outrage With $10,000 Donation To Church Of Scientology On Behalf Of Jenna Elfman [Video]
    http://www.inquisitr.com/2602380/jenna-elfman-appears-at-legoland/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Therefore, the question arises as to why the Church of Scientology’s Youth for Human Rights group would spend money to tell American children that they have the right to move to another state or own property?

According to advocates against the Church of Scientology — people who claim the group is a cult — the answer is Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard has always tried, with the help of the organization’s front groups, to find ways to get children to talk about the Church of Scientology and have the children look into the benefits of joining the organization.

Legoland’s donation is a significant one for Youth for Human Rights. The Scientology group does not pay their employees. In addition, the group spends most of its money on pamphlets and videos, in addition to holding conferences.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 3
  21. xander meehan Member

I do not know if any of you have seen this, yet I hope if you have, you post it, or any follow on articles

Lego-land Park in California Sparks Outrage with $10,000 Donation to Scientology Group

by Roger Friedman - December 1, 2015 10:23 am

jenna-elfman-scientology.jpg?resize=636%2C352.jpg
    Legoland in Carlsbad, California must be desperate for celebrity involvement. In exchange for a Christmas tree lighting appearance by TV actress Jenna Elfman, Lego donated $10,000 to a Scientology group in honor of the cult member.
    The donation to YHRI has already sparked outrage on Twitter. I discovered it thanks to the indefatigable Tony Ortega, who writes a fuller version of the story on his website. Ortega writes:
    “Youth for Human Rights International (YHRI) was founded in 2001 by Scientologist Dr. Mary Shuttleworth, who has also tried to push Scientology on the nation’s schools through the front group Applied Scholastics. Like other Church of Scientology front groups, YHRI pretends to have a benign purpose that has nothing to do with Scientology. In this case, YHRI is one of several groups under the umbrella United for Human Rights that has created videos and pamphlets based on the principles spelled out in a 1948 United Nations proclamation, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.”
    A little addition: Actress Marisol Nichols is the Advisory Board Chairperson for YHRI. She’s a huge Scientologist, with dozens of courses behind her, and no doubt millions of dollars in donations raised.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Hey, Legoland: A former Scientology youth explains what your money will buy

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, December 2, 2015

On Monday, the Legoland California theme park invited actress Jenna Elfman to preside over its annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony and thanked her by donating $10,000 to the charity of her choice. Elfman, a longtime and ardent Scientologist, asked Legoland to donate the money to Youth for Human Rights, a Scientology front group that uses a 1948 United Nations declaration as a way to spread its influence with young people around the world.

Yesterday, when we asked a Legoland representative if they were aware of the group’s connection to Scientology, we got a terse reply that Legoland had chosen its celebrity emcee “without prejudice.” That response kicked up a sharp reaction at our website and on social media. We also received a copy of this message from Derek Bloch, which he sent directly to Legoland’s office. We thought you’d want to see it.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/12/02/he...logy-youth-explains-what-your-money-will-buy/
    • Like Like x 5
  23. anon8109 Member

Legoland has two options. They can dig in their heels and refuse to look, refuse to admit they made an error, or they can admit that they were hoodwinked by a deceptive cult and stop payment of the money.
    • Like Like x 1

24. Should read:

I believe the second option is the smart move.
  25. They will probably just ignore it until it goes away. It's not like there is any notable media coverage (I just checked).
    • Like Like x 1
  26. At least Ortega is reporting something new finally. Unlike Mike Rinder's blog, where it seem to be all about other people’s news and nothing original from Rinder nor his point of view about anything, really. He is not even reporting anything new but only "news" from elsewhere or stupid comics or making fun of cult promo pieces and nothing else. Not high quality blogging, that is for sure.

The number of comments on his blog is really low and Ortega seems to have taken his readership. Mike Rinder’s blog is dying slowly but surely.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  27. RightOn Member

how adorable!
    Not defending Rinder, but I guess your post is upstat in your own mind. :confused:
    Get out while you can
    • Like Like x 3
  28. Mr. Magoo Member

I agree. Legoland doesn't give a shit. They seem to be sending everyone who complains the same one-sentence "without-prejudice-now-go-fuck-off" response.

Edit: this post is in response to the one above by TheHumansAreDead. I must not have hit the right reply button.
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Why Legoland Donated Funds to a Scientology Charity.

The Hollywood Reporter: Why Legoland Donated Funds to a Scientology Charity

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/why-legoland-donated-funds-a-846922

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

DECEMBER 11, 2015 10:30am PT by Seth Abramovitch

Why Legoland Donated Funds to a Scientology Charity

Jenna Elfman — one of Hollywood's most outspoken Scientologists — was invited to light the amusement park's 30-foot-tall Christmas tree and had a $10,000 donation granted to Youth for Human Rights, which watchdog groups quickly accused of being a Scientology front.

It's hard to say what Legoland had in mind when it invited Jenna Elfman — one of Hollywood's most outspoken Scientologists — to light the Carlsbad, Calif., amusement park's 30-foot-tall Christmas tree Nov. 30. The next day, the park tweeted that it had donated $10,000 at the Dharma & Greg star's request to Youth for Human Rights.

Watchdog groups quickly accused the charity of being a Scientology front that focuses on youth recruitment. Legoland spokeswoman Julie Estrada tells THR, "We invite our tree-lighting guests without prejudice and provide a small donation to their charity of choice in appreciation of their participation."

Reps for Elfman and the Church of Scientology did not respond to requests for comment.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 4
  31. RightOn Member

"Thanks Legoland" should be a new meme
    • Like Like x 1