Customize

Tony Ortega - Remembering Diane Colletto

Discussion in 'Independent Scientology' started by The Wrong Guy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Remembering Diane Colletto, Who Would Have Been 60 Today | The Underground Bunker

Excerpt:

For readers of Lawrence Wright’s excellent book, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, & the Prison of Belief, you may remember Colletto’s appearance. It’s a short and sad tale. Diane Colletto was the editor of The Auditor and held other responsibilities in the church’s publications division. Although she was only 25, she was going places. Until, that is, the night of August 19, 1978, when she was brutally murdered right outside Scientology’s big headquarters in Los Angeles. But even today, nearly 35 years later, Colletto is still remembered fondly by those who knew her well.

<snip>

As Wright explains in Going Clear, Diane’s husband, John Colletto, had questioned church policy, which landed him in the Sea Org’s prison detail, the Rehabilitation Project Force. He was declared a suppressive person (excommunicated, in Scientology parlance), and Diane was ordered to “disconnect” from him. As Wright says, John Colletto then apparently decided that if he couldn’t have Scientology, he’d keep Diane from it too.

By pure accident, the night John Colletto went to attack Diane, she was being accompanied by a young Marty Rathbun, who was very new to Scientology and still getting accustomed to its culture. He was assigned to ride along with Diane as she pulled her car away from Scientology’s large headquarters complex in Los Angeles. To their shock, John Colletto came out of nowhere in his own car and smashed into them, then got out to begin firing a gun.

We’ll quote at some length here from Wright’s book:

The full article, and open comments, are at
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/04/05/remembering-diane-colletto-who-would-have-been-60-today/
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 17th April 2015, 12:28 AM

JustSheila
    [IMG]
    Gold Meritorious Patron[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG] Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

Mmmm... Marty's version probably has plenty of poetic license.

Still, I was at Big Blue at the time and heard the story from my Security Guard sweetie at the time, who was on duty and witnessed what happened then.

There are a few details Marty didn't mention.

One is that Marty was assigned to guard Diane and pick her up and take her home because of her ex-husband's threat. He wanted to play hero though and catch Joe, so trolled around the block slowly trying to get Joe to come out, using Diane as bait. Perhaps he didn't take the threat seriously; it's not like there were a lot of shooting murders by ex-staff. Marty was indirectly responsible for Diane's death and he knows it.

So were all the SO Members at the time in the GO and who knew about Joe's threat and were in a position to do something aabout it - none of these people reported the threat to the police or Joe would have been apprehended earlier. He was reported to have been staying just down the road at a local hotel. Easy for the police to catch him and disarm him, which would have saved Diane's life.

Marty also chased after Joe. Jeff Porter knocked him down once to stop him. He definitely had the gun aimed at him. I didn't hear anything about it running out of bullets, I heard Joe turned around with Diane without shooting and Marty chased after him.

I don't know why you'd want to give this story a lot of publicity. It's what stupid people do that take the law in their own hands and don't use the police. Marty was not a hero. Nobody was a hero that day. It was a terrible event that was so badly botched up and mishandled that two people lost their lives.
    17th April 2015, 12:43 AM
    JustSheila
    [IMG]
    Gold Meritorious Patron[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG] Re: Marty Rathbun nearly murdered in 1978

You're welcome, Syn.

I've written a lot more about this earlier because it angered me that Marty would actually have the audacity to brag about it in his book. He's done a lot of good, but he can be a real fuckwit sometimes. This is one of those times. I deleted my earlier entries as it was pretty rough on Marty (Mark) and there were parts I didn't fully understand, either.

I didn't expect Marty to mention that he was driving around and around the complex block for days with Diane to try to draw Joe out. But I can't believe he tried to make himself out as a hero and turn the Colletto's lives into some cheap adventure story to satisfy his own ego and that's really offensive to me. Marty went over the top on this one - even omitting the other two security guards who were there - Jeff Porter and DC, and the fact Andre Tabayoyon came along just seconds after the shooting.

Andre said the shooting happened in the car with Marty. That much is true as witnessed.

However it is viewed, it was a tragedy. Joe was a known threat and had been blown from the RPF for weeks and the police were not contacted. Two people lost their lives. There are no heros in a tragedy like that.