Customize

Tony Ortega: The Atlantic Magazine Becomes Scientology’s Newest “Ideal Org”

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Jan 14, 2013.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Tonight on Facebook, Tony Ortega posted:

Twitter lit up today with the astonished reactions of readers who couldn't believe that The Atlantic took a paid article from Scientology, touting its "Ideal Orgs." We have some thoughts on that, and we've reached out to The Atlantic for a comment.

The Atlantic Magazine Becomes Scientology’s Newest “Ideal Org”

There’s been a stunned reaction on Twitter as readers express their astonishment at the paid article by Scientology that The Atlantic agreed to post on its website today.

The Atlantic is a venerated magazine (founded in 1857!) which has been celebrated for the way it made use of the Internet probably better than any highbrow publication, its AtlanticWire getting high marks for originality and innovation.

But taking paid puff pieces from Scientology? This innovation is resulting in a big backlash.

The article, and open comments, are at
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/01/14/the-atlantic-magazine-becomes-scientologys-newest-ideal-org/
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

It's not even the paid content article that's so irritating. They moderate comments to such a degree, that it's impossible to say anything, but "what a beautiful building" and "how do I join?".
    They should be ashamed of themselves for not allowing comments critical of the content.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Anonymous Member

Tony's server is down.
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

Tony knows his site is down and says it's being looked into.

(A minute later) And now it's back up.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

6. Naw.

You have the wrong guy.
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

Orac's last paragraph reminds me of a rage and sadness that overwhelms me to the point of silence. Because if a confederation of wealthy ideologues can corrupt science within medicine, they can do anything to this country, and there really seems to be no one to stop them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

11. Anonymous Member

And now The Atlantic makes amends?... or attempts to do so.....

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...out-scientology-by-a-wonderful-writer/267178/
    COMMENTS ON THIS ARTICLE ARE OPEN.
  12. Anonymous Member

Business Insider hit it too:

Here's The Atlantic's Sponsored Article On Scientology That Twitter Is Going Insane About

Here Are Some Facts About Scientology That Didn't Make It Into The Atlantic Advertorial
  13. Anonymous Member

14. Anonymous Member

15. Anonymous Member

16. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous Member

18. Missfit Member

Atlantic took that shit down and it now reads

" We have temporarily suspended this advertising campaign pending a review of our policies that govern sponsor content and subsequent comment threads."

That's the dank shit right there.
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Anonymous Member

It would be so much fun is Scientology were to sue them for taking down the ad. Oh, fun!
  20. Anonymous Member

My guess is that the issue may be the comments. I think the Church of Scientology wanted editorial control over the comment thread, and that crossed some line for The Atlantic -- perhaps breaching the (thin, if any) wall between editorial and marketing / advertising. Plus, The Atlantic was getting the shit kicked out of it on Twitter, the Blogosphere, news sites, etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. blownforgood Member

INB4 "Atlantic article was taken down because Headleys lost their case..."
    • Funny Funny x 10
  22. Missfit Member

I'm sure there is some kind of morality clause in the advertising agreement, if Davey sued for breech for them pulling it down, that would make for a lulzy court drama of showing HOW and WHY Co$ is immoral. Oh 2013, you've already been too good to me....don't stop...harder...faster...

I mean...
    nothing.
    • Funny Funny x 5
  23. Anonymous Member

The Atlantic has been on a mission to mis-inform Americans about the flu vaccine for a few years, so being buddy buddy with Scientology seems about right.

Fuck the Atlantic.
  24. Anonymous Member

Salon: The Atlantic’s Church of Scientology advertorial
    A "sponsored content" paean to David Miscavige reads like North Korean propaganda

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/15/the_atlantics_church_of_scientology_advertorial/

Excerpt:
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

LOL
    Best revenge is live well and you have done so with your beautiful family. Another couple will come after you and will win a case.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

I think the Atlantic will give them all the money back straight away.
    But it would be fun to see a bit of a court drama.
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

'The Atlantic' Drops Scientology 'Sponsor Content' - The Hollywood Reporter

The paid advertorial touted the accomplishments of Scientology and Church leader David Miscavige but drew withering online criticism.

The Atlantic has removed from its website a paid "sponsor content" story touting Scientology after other news organizations and bloggers raised questions about the piece.

In the paid advertorial posted Jan. 14 on theatlantic.com, the Church of Scientology touted its accomplishments and lavished praise on church leader David Miscavige. The posting came in advance of the Jan. 17 publication of New Yorker writer Lawrence's Wright's new history of the religion, Going Clear.

More at www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/atlantic-drops-scientology-sponsor-content-412586
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Missfit Member

Actually, it seems that it's more between the advertising provider and Atlantic if it's true that they use that type of service. Atlantic might haven't known they would use a Scientology promoted piece. If that's the case, they may have a suit on their hands against the provider and in turn they could sue Davey?

Hypothesizing is fun.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Anonymous Member

Louanne is heartbroken. She is saying now that the Atlantic went from sponsoring to censoring. Hmm....kind of catchy for her mouse brain.
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Anonymous Member

Reynolds Center - BusinessJournalism.org

The Atlantic runs ‘sponsored content’ on Scientology’s ‘milestone year’
    http://businessjournalism.org/2013/...sored-content-on-scientologys-milestone-year/

Excerpt containing good observations:
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Anonymous Member

The Next Web

The Atlantic backtracks and removes controversial Scientology advertorial
    http://thenextweb.com/media/2013/01...ontroversial-scientology-advertorial-feature/

Excerpt:
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

Look what just showed up on The Atlantic's site:

A Wonderful New Book About Scientology, by a Wonderful Writer - Jeffrey Goldberg - The Atlantic

Working with Lawrence Wright was one of the great pleasures of my journalism career. Even before I met Larry, at The New Yorker, I was a great admirer of his, and my admiration only grew as I got to know him personally, and as I watched him work. There is no more careful reporter in the world than Larry, and no one who is as thorough and as indefatigable.

"The Looming Tower," of course, is one of the greatest works of narrative non-fiction published in the past several decades, but all of his work on religion -- he's an unparalleled spelunker of the religious mind -- is very much worth reading. Which is why I'm so particularly excited this week to read his just-published investigation of the Church of Scientology, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief.

You can order it from Amazon right here.

www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/a-wonderful-new-book-about-scientology-by-a-wonderful-writer/267178/
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Anonymous Member

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  34. Anonymous Member

The Scientology ad has been taken down (for now).

35. Anonymous Member

LOL eat that Miscavige, with a bag of dicks, your cult is global cancer and any attempt at PR is slapped down by the whole planet.

Expect Us
    • Like Like x 3
  36. pooks Member

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  37. Clusterdux Member

Hehehe :)<
    If they would have just taken down all comments, it would have been to prevent backlash to their client.
    If they take the whole article down, it is to prevent backlash to themselves.

Anyway, Google still has the article as cache.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  38. Anonymous Member

Glad they pulled it, didn't want to have to change my fabulous avatar.
    <-----
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  39. YouSeeNothing Member

• Like Like x 1
  40. wolfbane Member

Dear Scientology: you know it sucks to be you when even your high profile advertising campaigns cause a media shitstorm.

Ha ha.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2