Customize

TOR USERS - IMPORTANT

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Me, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Me Member

TOR USERS - IMPORTANT

I've been running TOR/Vidalia for a while, and last time I checked (about a week and a half ago) it was running fine.

However I've just checked it again and have found that it is no longer masking my IP.

Whether this is because it's been hacked in some way I don't know; I'm not too technically minded, however it would certainly be a sensible thing to do, given the number of Anons using it.

I'd recommend going to whatismyip.com or similar. Making a note of the IP, and (then if you don't know your own IP) trying again without TOR .

This may just be something that's happened to me, and I hope that it is. However, I thought I'd let ppl know in case it is a more general problem.

If you're happy to post a ye or a ne below, it will enable the extent of the problem to be seen, or hopefully that there's not a general problem at all.

Cheers.
  2. flubbardly Member

Re: TOR USERS - IMPORTANT

tor/vidalia works super for me.
  3. deadacc19225 Member

TOR working as normal here.

Deadacc recommends using an alternate identity on a public computer through at least two public (even web-based) proxies for news-watching until you isolate the problem. YMMV.
  4. Me Member

Thanks man, tis odd as well as being a bit of a bitch.

Such is the life of us revolutionaries I guess!
  5. TakeAnonMe Member

If you're worried about this, there are a couple Firefox plugins that show your external IP in the status bar.
  6. Re: TOR USERS - IMPORTANT

What's the name of this plugin? Link?

7. Re: TOR USERS - IMPORTANT

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3372
  8. Me Member

Thanks, cos it is quite odd. I'll stick that add-on on though.

For now it does seem to be "resolved", though I don't know what had caused it. There was nothing obviously amiss so I just unistalled and reinstalled.
    Will keep more of an eye on it though in future.
  9. Coward Member

TOR + proxies are good, but when you're using a browser with JS enabled, don't forget that your REAL IP can be had really easy. Anyone know of any plugins or greasemonkey that will block Javascript calls to try to get your IP? If not, I can try to write one up quick.
  10. Re: TOR USERS - IMPORTANT

Is there a similar Widet for Opera?
  11. deadacc19225 Member

12. loligagger Member

NoInstall.jpg

?????????
  13. anon87 Member

Tor is my second level proxy and it's working perfectly, i'm not paranoid and normally i wouldn't bother but the wifi of my broadband might just come from a few doors away and lets put it this way, i don't want them getting hassled by Co$ because of me -Co$ don't scare me but if these boys come knocking i'm GONE

Remember also that IP isn't the be all and end all and that ID like REFERER and MAC address are also very useful in tracking people, unless they happen to change frequently and lie -then they're just annoying.

:guyfawkes:
    :anon:
    WINRAR
  14. xscnchild Member

Stupid question: How do you use more than one proxy at the same time? Ie. Chain them? I assume it's possible.