Customize

Toronto org in stasis

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DeathHamster, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Random guy Member

2. DeathHamster Member

Do you know that, or is that a (pretty good) assumption?

Meanwhile, I wonder how they're doing on the back-taxes for the Yonge St mORGue? It's been a year since the Toronto Star article.
  3. TorontosRoot Member

It's based on an assumption, which may or may not be true. Maybe lack of people traffic? Still, they locked themselves out of it. *whoosh*
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DeathHamster Member

77 Peter St on Wednesday -- nice and clean!

IMG_20160518_185555.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  5. TorontosRoot Member

Free of scientology's leftovers too.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Is the Toronto Scientology Org. still 'hiring' due to the explosive expansion?

''They are on the move.............''
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FELSKE FIGHTS FOR THE TORONTO ORG AND SCIENTOLOGY IN GENERAL. LOL.

10 March 2017
    Toronto Star
    1 Yonge Street
    Toronto, ON
    Canada
    Dear Sir:
    This letter is to express my disgust at the bigoted, snark-laden portrayal of the Church of Scientology in Rosie DiManno’s column published yesterday on the website of the Toronto Star and affiliated publications.
    DiManno’s treatment of this worldwide religion goes out of its way to encourage hatred against a Church and its parishioners at a time when religious threats and violence—including those targeting the Church of Scientology—are growing at an alarming rate.
    Virtually every line of her description of Scientology contains snide, bigoted remarks that show she can’t move beyond her personal bias and ignorance of our faith. Rather than approach the subject with respect, Ms. DiManno appears to have spent her entire time thinking up as many clever-sounding insults as she could squeeze into her column. She especially seems miffed that her “interloper” (which appears to be Ms. DiManno herself) was prevented from barging into one of our buildings unannounced. We have no doubt that that someone attempting to storm into the Star newsroom without advance warning would meet the same fate, especially in this era of heightened security concerns by institutions worldwide.
    Let’s be clear, Scientology is the religion of millions of people all over the world. But more than that, much smarter people than Ms. DiManno in countries throughout the world have concluded that Scientology is a bona fide, legally recognized religion, even if it is not theirs. This includes Supreme and High Courts around the world. All subjected Scientology to a careful, rigorous and thoughtful review before making those decisions. Had Ms. DiManno bothered to do one scintilla of honest research she would have located the numerous trusted legal and scholarly findings that would have led her to more objective conclusions.
    The Church and its members work hard to create a better society for everyone, regardless of their religion, belief, ethnicity or origin. Our continuing efforts in drug prevention, drug rehabilitation, literacy, criminal reform, morality, human rights, disaster relief and interfaith cooperation are, in fact, legendary. Scientologists are devoted to helping others, and no doubt engage in far more community betterment projects than the average individual.
    In Clearwater, where Florida State University estimates the Church has an economic impact of nearly $1 billion, we have a long track record of being good citizens and making positive contributions to the community. We remain committed to partnering with the city and its residents to help make Clearwater the world-class 21St-century city it deserves to be.
    As a new religion, just 63 years old, we are too often subjected to prejudiced and ill-informed pieces such as the Star published in your paper. Scientology parishioners dedicated to helping others do not deserve such treatment. I strongly doubt you would publish similar inflammatory vitriol about Catholics, Muslims, Protestants, Mormons, Hindus, Buddhists or members of the Jewish faith.
    The incendiary hatred expressed by your columnist is inappropriate and irresponsible in today’s volatile world. Respect for another’s religious beliefs should be the order of the day, not venom and vile. Bigotry of this or any other kind has no place in our society.
    Pat Felske
    Toronto, Canada
    Ontario Regional Director STAND
    and Public Affairs Director, Church of Scientology Toronto

https://www.standleague.org/news/me...nnos-column-on-the-church-of-scientology.html#
  8. TorontosRoot Member

Hahahahah
    Hahaha they are sooooo pathetic. Nobody even visits that website outside of cult members.
  9. TorontosRoot Member

10. The Wrong Guy Member

London, Ontario is less than 120 miles southwest of Toronto.

Ribfest: Scientologists are offering ‘stress tests’ with the support of the annual Victoria Park festival’s organizers

By Charlie Pinkerton, The London Free Press, August 7, 2017

Quote:

The official presence of Scientologists at Ribfest this weekend adds a new chapter to London’s history with the controversial organization.

“We don’t discriminate because we don’t agree with you,” Ruby Hillier, a Ribfest organizer, said of giving the California-based group a booth in Victoria Park.

“As long as you’re not doing anything illegal it’s fine, we don’t exclude you.”

Representatives of Scientology were offering E-meter tests, a well-known part of the group that sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard founded in 1954 – and a focus of criticism, even ridicule, from critics worldwide.

Perhaps lost on Hillier, and maybe even the Scientologists themselves, is that the weekend festival was mere blocks from where Scientology’s most famous dissident, London-raised Oscar winner Paul Haggis, was first grabbed by its teachings in 1975.

A young Haggis was walking to a downtown record store when a man stopped him at the corner of Dundas and Waterloo streets, he told U.S. journalist Lawrence Wright, who highlighted the filmmaker’s dissent in his book and documentary Going Clear.

“You have a mind. This is the owner’s manual,” Haggis recalled the man telling him as he handed over a book.

Haggis opened the cover and saw it stamped with the words Church of Scientology.

“Take me there,” Haggis said.

Haggis followed Scientology for about 30 years, a period during which he rose from wannabe script writer to Hollywood heavyweight. But since 2009, he has been one of Scientology’s most famous opponents – openly criticizing the teachings he once followed.

Obviously, there was a much different perspective offered at the Scientology tent in Victoria Park this weekend.

Travis Desmeules was one of three at the group’s official tent. A Scientologist for nearly 20 years, he and other followers were using E-meters to give stress tests to festival-goers and sell a Hubbard book about Dianetics, a substudy of Scientology.

The stress tests are done through typical Scientology practice. An E-meter is used to send a small electric pulse through the subject, which upon leaving their body registers a reading in the machine. Followers of Dianetics and Scientology believe certain readings indicate stress.

“Within the book (of Dianetics) is also a therapy to alleviate those things so we try to show them that,” Desmeules said.

Haggis won Oscars in back-to-back years, 2004 and 2005, as a screenwriter and producer for Million Dollar Baby and a screenwriter, producer and director of Crash. In 2009 he was blunt in his criticism of Scientology’s flaws.

“Everyone else could see it. I don’t know why I couldn’t,” Haggis told Wright.

Several governments, including those of Germany and France, have condemned the group, feeding its negative reputation.

To that, Scientology’s website reads, “No. It is a religion in the fullest sense of the word.”

Scientology is recognized as a religion in the United States, giving it tax-exempt status. It is not formally recognized as a religion by the Canadian government.

Source: http://www.lfpress.com/2017/08/07/r...the-annual-victoria-park-festivals-organizers
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TorontosRoot Member

Awful. Boot them out!
  12. Intelligence Member

But it is recognized in Canada as a convicted criminal organization... :confused:
    • Like Like x 3
  13. DeathHamster Member

By the way, when I passed by the 696 Yonge mOrgue last month, the sign at the side with the College address was gone. Google Maps said that location was permanently closed.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll swing by College to see if their tiny sign is still there.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TorontosRoot Member

I intend to also give it a check too. If they moved to a location between wellesley and college, it won't be too long before we notice again. An article says they moved to wellesley and church, but I doubt it.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DeathHamster Member

I didn't have a chance to check out College, but 696 Yonge still doesn't have a sign with a "temporary" org location.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. TorontosRoot Member

IMG_20170914_212428.jpg it's still on college at yonge. Google maps got trolled hard saying "permanently closed". Lol
  17. DeathHamster Member

Hmm. So why remove the sign at 696 Yonge, directing people to College St? (As well as any mention of Scientology.)
  18. TorontosRoot Member

Maybe the building is gonna be demolished soon... the one across from it and the coffee time which shuttered when scientology left the building, is slated too. There's a notice on the second floor.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Quentinanon Member

Suggest a demolition permit check with the city of Toronto for that address.
    After the building gets demolished, what will happen to all the body thetans occupying the areas of the former scientology morg?
  20. TorontosRoot Member

They'll diminish.
  21. DeathHamster Member

All that's showing is the old Jan 18, 2013 Refusal Notice.

Damnit, I hate their new system that won't give a valid link into a particular record. All you can do is give other people a link to the entrance of the query system and tell them to do the same search on 696 Yonge.

http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/setup.do?action=init

THAT IS TOTAL BULLSHIT!

It doesn't slow down robotic data-miners in the slightest. All it stops is concerned citizens (taxpayers) from sharing information.
    • Like Like x 3
  22. TorontosRoot Member

I am disappointed in it. Where is the fawkes mallet to slam on their table? :O
  23. Quentinanon Member

Here you go.

10f7f5bcd02f18b2eae8f5c3f0a67dd1.jpg
    • Like Like x 1