Customize

Tracking Of The Freewinds

Discussion in 'Projects' started by _You_, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Rod Keller Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. kthnxbai Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. kthnxbai Member

Two more crew members (from the link above):

Sue Price.
    Guillermo Smythe.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. kthnxbai Member

More exciting news from the floating Org (I jest). Arrived Kralendijk to have her bilges pumped at 10:27 on 30 March, left Kralendijk at 03.44 on 31 March, arrived Willemstad on 31 March at 07:00. No change.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. kthnxbai Member

Just for the record: it is now by my reckoning 15.30 UTC and she is still in Willemstad but normally she leaves very early on Tuesday. Two weeks ago she left Curacao about 04:20.

A treat for ship-watchers is the brand new drill-rig Sevan Louisiana currently anchored outside the entrance to the harbour. Ultra Deep Water, cylindrical hull. On her way to the Gulf of Mexico.

I've been trying to understand UTC. Wikipedia says that UTC is Coordinated Universal Time (French: Temps Universel Coordonné, UTC) is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time. For practical purposes UTC is synonymous with GMT which is one hour behind Paris time. I think that 21:00 UTC is the same as 21:00 GMT currently 22:00 British summertiime.

So I think that it is now 21:00 UTC and last time I looked F/W was still in Willemstad.

Edited again to add that she left at about 04.30, Wednesday morning and will be in Oranjestad at 09.00 UTC.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Rod Keller Member

http://antilliaansdagblad.com/index.php/curacao/8655-zilveren-jubileum-voor-freewinds

That ship SMV "Freewinds" for 25 years Curaçao choose as home yesterday set in stone. The crew of the boat revealed along with Minister of Economic Development Stanley Palm and Henry van der Kwast Maduro Holding the monument. The cruise ship is operated by International Shipping Partners and is owned by San Donato Properties, a company affiliated with the Church of Scientology.

freewinds.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Rod Keller Member

• Like Like x 3
  8. Rod Keller Member

Poor quality shot. I have asked for a better one.

fw.png
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Anonylemmi Member

Rod, has Freewinds ever been spotted in Google Earth? If so, where and when? I have looked at all the berthing places I could find and then went back through the historical images, but have had no luck.
  10. Rod Keller Member

Yes. I forget which port right now. The key is to look for lifeboats. Almost no other cruise ships have them where you can see them. If I can't find it in the next few minutes I will tonight.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rod Keller Member

Aruba, September, 2012 aruba.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  12. RightOn Member

pity about Curacao. I love that island
  13. Rod Keller Member

I have more photos of the ceremony, but they are small. I am attempting to get larger ones.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rod Keller Member

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rod Keller Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rod Keller Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. tinfoilhatter Member

They must be desperate for the berthing and dock fees. Especially since the cruise liners are dying.
  18. tinfoilhatter Member

Also, has there ever been a reported incidence of "man overboard" on the free winds?
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  20. kthnxbai Member

This was Monday 31 March, which explains her extra day in Curacao.

Expressions or lack of on Sea Org, Crew and other faces interesting. Does anyone recognise anyone?
  21. Rod Keller Member

I wish they were larger and not covered with the blue stuff. My hope is that a disconnected family member may find somebody, so they know where their loved one is.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Woo Hah Member

dsc06334-jpg.226901.jpg

Front row boner camouflage.
  23. Rod Keller Member

I think it would be a nice place to leave something to remember the victims of Scientology.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Rod Keller Member

May 16, 2008. Curacao.

I'm trying to use this photo and the others of the event to mark the spot of the Freewinds monument.

willemstad.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Rod Keller Member

January, 2011.
    will_freewinds.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  26. kthnxbai Member

Good find! This is now her usual berth in Willemstad, up beyond the bridge on the left, so that she goes into the harbour, turns round and then berths ready for a quick take-off. Once when the ship was more popular she tied up below the bridge at Otrobanda in the tourist district, and did so again at the end of March for this event.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Rod Keller Member

I think you are right. I came to this conclusion because of the AFAS Software and Ferry signs at the marker dedication. This is what I think:

docking.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Rod Keller Member

• Like Like x 1
  29. aegerprimo Member

Thank you for posting these pics Rod K.

One "word" comes to mind about that Freewinds monument given by Curcacao is GRRRRRR! :mad: What a farce. .

The only people I recognize are Mike Napier (captain) and Wally Burgess. I was Sea Org crew on the Freewinds from when it was purchased and named the "Boheme" and was involved in the whole renovation project. I left (and left the Sea Org) just before the Maiden Voyage in 1988.

My story on ESMB if anyone is interested:
    The Foul Air of the Freewinds an Ex-SO Member’s Story
    http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-Air-of-the-Freewinds-an-Ex-SO-Member’s-Story
    • Like Like x 4
  30. Woo Hah Member

31. Woo Hah Member

32. Rod Keller Member

Yesterday on the ship.

101e45e0bb8811e3b80c128a99a33730_8.jpg 3567d852bb8811e3b9880e51447f1083_8.jpg
  33. Enturbuleak Member

^ POOL's OPEN
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Rod Keller Member

Russians on the Freewinds. Part of the competence program that they do, which is why you see photos of them hanging off the side of the ship. Possibly from today.

BkZOax-IcAApTkw.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  35. kthnxbai Member

This is a good shot.

You are right for the New Wharf (beyond the bridge; no tourist content; oil? storage tanks) and for Otrobanda (tourist content, below the bridge) but the position you mark for March 2014 is not possible as it is within the area of the pontoon bridge which swings open 90 degrees right up against that length of bank or wharf or dock. In March 2014 I believe she was in Otrobanda but further up, as in your photograph with cars and tourists.

I reckon it's a more expensive site, perhaps the most desirable, and some real cruise liners use it, and get parked right beside the shops. The New Wharf is presumably much cheaper.
    • Like Like x 2
  36. kthnxbai Member

SHARK!
  37. kthnxbai Member

Old information is old but Google Images has two pics of Wally Burgess. He's as old as Hell, joined the Sea Org before it was the Sea Org in 1966. Is he one of the very old guys at the far end of the crew (all in white) line-up?

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=24607

Mike Napier's side-kick is Kral Weber. Both of them wear glasses.

Richard Alcock formerly Chief Engineer died aged 55-60 in 2012 (reported in WWP in May 2012).
  38. deirdre Member

The economic problems of the smaller Netherlands-run islands are actually heartbreaking right now. I've never been to Curaçao, but we were in Saba a bit over a year ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. aegerprimo Member

Do you have a link to the post about his death?

I am sorry to hear about Richard Allcock - aka, Wak Allcock. His brother is Wick Allcock. YES! Wak and Wick Allcock. They were both very nice people and I knew them aboard the Freewinds. Both of them worked with L. Ron Hubbard aboard the Apollo? (The latter way before my time).

Wack Allcock gave me away at my wedding aboard the Freewinds in 1987 (before the maiden voyage in 1988). Here are personal pics of that event at ESMB for anyone interested.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...shed-until-now&p=904259&viewfull=1#post904259