Customize

Tracking Of The Freewinds

Discussion in 'Projects' started by _You_, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Tracking Of The Freewinds

I've hit up most of the (major) classification societies that have a web interface to their ship registration database.

I haven't had any luck thus far finding out which classification society the Freewinds is using since they ditched DNV in November '09.

For a ship of the Freewinds' age, the "losing" classification society (DNV) is required to give the "gaining" classification society a shitload of paperwork... meaning DNV has to know who the new society is.

If anyone has a contact at DNV, simply posing the question: "who is the gaining classification society?" to them might be the easiest way to find out.
  2. auchraw Member

Hey, I just googled Kralendijk, Aruba and something that looks very like Freewinds is tied up at the Town's Pier. I think I could see five lifeboats on the starboard side, three on the other side (two empty davits) and a very small swimming pool at the back end. And on a second look I think I can see two navy funnels.

[Posted an URL but it doesn't work.] Try Google with Kaya Aruba, Kralendijk, Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles.

Someone else like to have a look? Of course these shots are not today, now but might be recent. She is supposed to be in Aruba somewhere from 05 to 09 January. How often does Google change its images?

Later: checked it with the blueprint and definitely her.
  3. Sponge Member

This?....
    Kaya Aruba, Kralendijk, Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles - Google Maps

Yes it is the Freewinds you spotted. Two lifeboats are missing from the port side nearest the bow.
    >> Image from recent PR article for comparison <<

Edit:
    Also checked in the Google Earth application and its the same imagery, dated September 14th 2003, that being the latest from a choice of August 6th 2002 and May 16th 2003.
    (Location: 12deg09'29.81"N 68deg16'41.50"W )
    Also checked Microsoft Virtual Earth (Bing). Don't know what their imagery date is but there's nothing there anyway at either of the two main piers.
  4. auchraw Member

So you think this dates back to 14 September 2003? The timeline suggests that up to 2007 she spent most time in Barbados. Then in 2007 switched to Curacao and Bonaire (or ABC).

The Google image I found is copyrighted 2009 but some details (compared with the PR article) look earlier. Not that it matters. But I think it might be from 2007 or later.
  5. amaX Member

Once again, a BIG thank-you to everyone working on following the Failwinds.

There are many of us who believe that the Failwinds will be where Davey ends up when he flees the United States.

Having the information that you all have gathered here is going to be invaluable when that happens.

Awesome work, guise!

6. rof Member

Congratulations, you found a picture of the ship.

Happy Fag Year, Newb, break out the party hats!
  7. Anonymous Member

Totally off-topic, but (from the image Sponge references) that is the oddest fucking mooring-line arrangement I've ever seen in my life. I guess the second starboard bow line is just because the pier is so short? Says a bit about the ports they call in.
  8. Sponge Member

Yeah, I noticed that too. If you scroll south a few hundred yards then you'll see a much longer pier which is obviously much more suitable.
  9. Sponge Member

It's not me that thinks it. I'm looking in the Google Earth application, not the web based Google Maps. It uses the same database but is much more enhanced. Google Earth shows the date the image was actually taken (in the bottom left hand corner) which is 14th September 2003. In Google Earth you also have the option to scroll through historical imagery. If you haven't downloaded Google Earth then you should because I think you'll find it far better than the basic browser based googlemaps for what you are doing (providing your computer isn't ancient).

(edit: This is Bonaire btw, in case anyone is wondering)...
    28tcj87.jpg

Also, having just had a look at the historical Google Earth imagery that exists for Willemstad, Curacao, the Freewinds was in port there on 13th December 2006......

luqf4.jpg
  10. auchraw Member

Thanks, Sponge. Very interesting. I didn't realise the Google Earth images were so old. Not that they change very much. But it explains why she mostly doesn't show up where she ought to be.
  11. Anonymous Member

[SIZE=&quot;7&quot;][COLOR=&quot;Sienna&quot;]TORA TORA TORA![/COLOR][/SIZE]
  12. Optimisticate Member

Where exactly is the port? There are various webcams like the one below that may be helpful. Will try to find old threads here that have links to others.

Webcam curacao - live webcams from curacao!
  13. RightOn Member

I will be in Curacao and Aruba next year .
    From the looks of these shots, it looks like it will be far away from where I will be. Depending on how much time I have and the location.

Don't want to spend a gazillion dollars in taxi fare to get there. I will have to check it out.
    Hopefully it will be out of commission by next year!

Although I will be sailing soon in the next couple of weeks, I won't be in that neck of the woods this time around. but I will let you know if I see it anywhere on the open sea :)
    Bringing binoculars

The thought of DM spending his days in these sunny spots being waited on hand and foot makes my blood boil.
  14. Cudgel Member

heh-heh-heh! DM takes the cult full circle: man the boats, the Commodore's dwarf is coming home!
  15. RightOn Member

If you click on "more" then go to photos, there is one picture of the Freewinds or if you click on "Panoramio"

Panoramio - Photo of FreeWinds

EDITED. it was uploaded in 2007, viewed 900 times

EDITED< FOUND MORE:
    a event scheduled in 2007???or 2005:

May 20
    At 500 pm: Great Sunset Beach Party at Bongos Beach with Freewinds Band &
    international guests
    [/B]starting at 5 pm until 900 pm

this was from the Bonaire Jazz festival website
    http://www.bonairenet.com/jazz/festival2007/festival2007.htm
  16. Random guy Member

Wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - rat-at-at-at-at-at-at - eeeeeeeeeeee BOOOM!
  17. anonhuff Member

your word for the week worth more than a sea org members' wages is: onomatopoeia
  18. RightOn Member

19. Sponge Member

In Curacao the port you are looking at is Willemstad. That webcam is on top of a hotel on the south side of the inlet. Immediately to the left of the webcam is the ocean. It views a part of the inlet, pointing inland, and leads to a huge open area of docks. It's not ideal because the Freewinds can sometimes moor-up further down beyond the overpass out of range of the webcam (just before the docks area which is where the 2nd google earth image was from in my post above). If often moors-up in view of the cam, just beyond the little swing bridge but not always. So, if you don't catch it actually sailng in/out then you can't say for sure whether its there or not just by looking at the webcam.
  20. Sponge Member

Well it depends on where you are in the world as to how frequent and how recent the imagery is. It takes a a long time to photographically map the earth so they aren't going to do it regularly especially areas that aren't as popular. It's just lucky if you get clear imagery thats very recent but sometimes the older images can be bettter or worse depending on the weather conditions. For example, there's some older images of Willemstad where the view of part of the port inlet is completely obliterated by very low localised cloud.
  21. auchraw Member

Since at least December I don't think she is going to Curacao at all. The Freewinds magazine #75 has a detailed schedule of courses with dates and locations for December-January and she is regularly in Bonaire Sunday to Tuesday and in Aruba from Wednesday to Saturday. Changeover day is Thursday (I think always, probably because its Staterday).

The last time the Freewinds magazine mentions Curaco was back in October. November she went to Columbia to host yet another MARPOL summit on pollution at sea (that's right) and was in port at Cartagena up to 13th. After that she appears to have cancelled planned visits to Curacao. December and January confirm no visits to Curacao.

The point of this post is that at the moment there probably isn't much hope of seeing the failboat on the Willemstad webcam, though it is worth watching if you like ships. [Corrected] I think she normally ties up at Mathey Wharf which is in full view of the camera, just along from where the swing-bridge docks when it's open. (This was true in 2008 during the asbestos crisis.)

Minor correction: if I read the Seaweb page aright, which is not at all certain, her last visit to Curacao was 15-16 November. I think she stopped overnight.
  22. Random guy Member

So her regular ABC-shedule is down to an AB-shedule now?
  23. auchraw Member

FFY
  24. Random guy Member

I think you may have mixed things up a bit:

Oranjestad, is the capital of Aruba. It has docking facilities for cruiceships, and the place itself is nice enough.

Kralendijk on Aruba is the airport it appears. There's a small vessel port there, but the water is too shallow for a large ship. There is a Kralendijk on Bonaire, where the Freewinds actually appear bout on Google maps and Google Earth. It appears a rather nice sort of place:
    Panoramio - Photo of blue water

Caracas Bay, no place of that name was found Aruba island. The only other deep water ports I could find are industrial ports. There is a Caracas Bay at Curacao, which looks very picturesque:
    Curaçao Actief - Caracas Bay Peninsula

Barcadera seems to be at Aruba rather than Bonaire, but it is a bit inland, and the docks outside are industrial areas, though with a port that could dock a ship of Freewinds' size. If she docks there, I would think it is for bunkering rather than for the benefit of the passenger.

San Nicolas Bay is quite clearly at Aruba, Sint Nicolaas Bay (Duch). It is the island second largest town, with a lot of small houses and an oil refinery close by. Then again, in those parts of the world, even a closed down refinery can look good:
    http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/15258915.jpg
    It has harbour facilities for large ships, Google Earth shows a large, rusty tanker harbouring there.
  25. Sponge Member

^yes, Kralendijk is the Bonaire location where Freewinds docks.

and here's a google maps link for Caracas Bay, Curacao
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...101,-68.865564&spn=0.012674,0.014548&t=h&z=16
    It does have two jettys on the east of the bay which are capable of mooring medium size cruise vessels. One seems to be predominantly cargo/industrial, the other, the southern most one, has not seen any vessels in the historical Google Earth Imagery. The rest of the bay/inlets are geared towards small private vessels.

San Nicolas (Sint Nicolaas), Aruba is clearly a oil/gas/chemical terminal and hardly the picturesque kind of mooring you'd expect the Freewinds to dock at (unless that is where they pipe onboard massive supplies of concentrated niacin juice and volatile single malt whisky for DM ;))
    Google maps:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=San Nicolas, Aruba&t=h&z=13
  26. auchraw Member

Thanks for sorting this out. I picked up some names from the SeaWeb page but they don't correspond to the islands.

Having sorted out some of the muddle myself, I worked out that Barcadera and Oranjestad are in Aruba and Caracas Bay is in Curacao which is what you have but from Google Earth San Nicolas Bay seems to be the bay at Kralendijk, Bonaire. Perhaps there are two similar names.
  27. Random guy Member

I'll see if I can sort the Kralendijk/St. Nicolas bay mess tomorrow. With the names we have, it seems the Freewinds is still doing the full ABC rather than just AB.
  28. auchraw Member

My bad. I thought she called in at all the places mentioned but SeaWeb notes all the ports (of any kind) that she sails past. And San Nicolas Bay is indeed at the south end of Aruba though some Google map locates it in Bonaire.

There seem to be Barcaderas everywhere.

She might well be calling in at Curaco but Curacao is not mentioned in the Dec/Jan programme.

And the SeaWeb pages show only Aruba and Bonaire.

There are cruise ship schedules for Aruba in December which conflict with earlier bookings for Curacao, so I believe the Curacao bookings were cancelled.
  29. Sponge Member

Yep. San Nicolas Bay = Aruba.

There is only one place on Bonaire where the Freewinds can moor-up and that is Kralendijk, also sometimes referred to as Kralendijk Bay even though, to look at it, resembles a Bay about as much as not-quite-straight cucumber resembles a banana. There may be other places around Bonaire where it may distance and weigh anchor but nothing deep enough for the FW to enter (e.g. Lac Bay) with no piers/jettys to moor-up to.

Also, here's another webcam for you:
    Weather Cameras: Kralendijk Bay - Bonaire
    I can't see precisely where it is because it is night time right now so I don't know at this moment if it is going to be of any use for spotting the death ship.
    If you check in the scroll box underneath the webcam pic you'll see that there's have another webcam at the Bonaire Windsurf centre (which I think might be Lac Bay) and if you keep watching that then you might spot DM & TC frolicking ;).
    EDIT: Here's another link to all Bonaire webcams, this particlar one showing seems to view over Kralendijk but again it's night at the moment so I can't see a frikkin thing except street lights....
    http://www.breathebonaire.com/index.php?CURRENT_CAM=bonairecam3&SET_CAM=bonairecam3

If you need confirmation that the FW is in port then the best thing you can do I think is to call up/email the environmentalist/radio guy Sean Paton on Bonaire, let him know what you are doing, and ask him to drop you a line whenever the FW arrives and leaves.
    http://www.forumantilles.com/aboutus.html
    He may also have some willing contacts on Aurba and Curacao.
  30. auchraw Member

Thanks for all this information. My geography is picking up. I'll try to contact Sean; did once already but didn't expect a reply. Kralendiyk must be where the sewage is pumped off? Sean might mention that in his videos. Must be, if she can't dock anywhere else.

I dare say it will be daylight now in K so the webcam might show something. From her own programme she should be in Bonaire 10-12 January then back to Aruba 13-16 January and so on. Not that actually seeing her makes any difference, but it might make the Poodle nervous to know he is being watched. Even if it was several years ago.

I'm still waiting for the Aruba folk to get their December update on-line. It doesn't say when but it says how often she called and how many passengers she brought.

EDIT: looks like horrible weather in the Caribbean, 26 degrees but grey and stormy. So whatever the Poodle is doing he's not sunbathing.

The best webcam is the one at Deep Blue B&B in Santa Barbara looking south-west to Klein Bonaire but I don't think it covers the dock. Nothing large parked within sight anyway. You might see something sailing past. I'll have a look for Santa Barbara.
  31. Anonymous Member

OP here, will be giving you a dump of every movement I have in good time - spanning back to 1997.

There are a few things posted since my last leak I will be replying to / addressing (tomorrow). I also have a plan to hopefully "rock the boat".

Reverting on the above.

(and I think it would be interesting on the timeline to have where she was meant to be and where she actually was - only if you can be bothered dude).
  32. auchraw Member

This is something to look forward to.

As for posting where she was meant to be I do that all the time. Through 2009 there have been forward bookings published by port authorities and shipping agents.

Where she actually was is another matter altogether. She's probably not secretive but for the past two years has changed and changed for various reasons we can only guess at: unfriendly ports, blue asbestos, collapsing hull, no certificates, no paying guests, need to save fuel, pick up the Poodle, pick up large packing-cases, dump sewage, who knows?

This month the two things seem to coincide pretty well but the only reliable view of where she actually was comes from the Aruba monthly summary which gives no. of visits and no. of passengers.

http://www.arubabycruise.com/stats/index.html

I think the time-line still has the planned visits to Curacao but her own programme doesn't mention them and they conflict with planned visits to other places so I have assumed they were cancelled. There isn't much information beyond the end of this month except for four or five bookings in Bonaire in February.

She's not a commercial cruise ship (surprise!) and so doesn't need to stick to any fixed plan or please her passengers. They ain't going to get their money back no matter what.
  33. auchraw Member

34. Sponge Member

35. auchraw Member

Well if today's Monday 11th she's supposed to be in Bonaire 10-12 January but I don't think the berth at Kralendijk shows up in the webcam. The only Bonaire cruise site I know of** doesn't give times but her eta in Aruba is 13 January 21.30. So it's anyone's guess when she leaves Kralendijk. SeaWeb will probably know. Not that it makes much difference to anything. Still looks like horrible weather in Bonaire. What fun, tied up at K, pumping sewage and shut inside with nothing to do except read Dianetics.

** Info Bonaire - Ships and Cruise Lines that visit Bonaire
  36. Anonymous Member

37. Random guy Member

Well, the she is doing the ABC-round still.
  38. Anonymous Member

39. auchraw Member

Makes a change.

This is (probably) her first visit to Curacao since November 15/16. We ought to be able to see her on the Willenstad webcam.
  40. Sponge Member

If it stays where it seems to be on that AIS tracking map then you should be able to make it out on the webcam in the daylight.

This is a webcam screencap from 23rd October 2008......

current00it3.jpg