Customize

Travolta "furious" Over Autism claims

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by j0eg0d, Jan 5, 2009.

1. j0eg0d Member

Travolta "furious" Over Autism claims

Apparently in the midst of grief, John Travolta took the time to argue against his dead son's alleged autism.

GMANews.TV - Travolta 'furious' about autism report on dead son - Entertainment - Official Website of GMA News and Public Affairs - Latest Philippine News - BETA

John Travolta was "furious" over reports that his 16-year-old son, Jett, who died recently, was suffering from autism.

Jett was not autistic but was suffering from Kawasaki disease, which affects the skin, mouth, lymph, and nodes, an article posted on The Sun Web site (The Sun | The Best for News, Sport, Showbiz, Celebrities & TV | The Sun| The Sun), quoted Travolta as saying.

"Jett had a condition that caused 'death-like' seizures every four days," the article says. "'Pulp Fiction' actor Travolta was said to be furious at claims Jett had autism — and that he was denied medication because of the family’s Scientology beliefs."

Travolta lawyer Michael McDermott also said that the actor was "outraged" over initial reports that Jett was left unsupervised inside his room for 10 hours.

Such reports came out following Jett’s death last week. Jett died inside the Travolta's house in the Bahamas.

The article said Travolta tried with all his strength to revive his son. But he was too late.

Travolta said Sunday he and his wife Kelly Preston are "heartbroken" over the death of their chronically ill 16-year-old son, the Associated Press reported.

Police Superintendent Basil Rahming has said a caretaker found Jett unconscious in a bathroom late Friday morning and he was later pronounced dead at a Freeport hospital. The youth was last seen entering the bathroom on Thursday, according to Rahming's police statement.

"We are heartbroken that our time with him was so brief. We will cherish the time we had with him for the rest of our lives," Travolta and Preston said in their first public statement since Jett's death.

"Jett was the most wonderful son that two parents could ever ask for and lit up the lives of everyone he encountered," said a statement posted Sunday on Travolta's Web site.

"We have received many messages of condolence from around the world and we want to thank everyone for their prayers and support. It has meant so much to us. It is a beautiful reminder of the inherent goodness in the human spirit that gives us hope for a brighter future."

Preston and Travolta have said that Jett became very sick when he was 2 years old and was diagnosed to have Kawasaki Syndrome, an illness that leads to inflamed blood vessels in young children. Preston blamed household cleaners and fertilizers, and said that a detoxification program based on teachings from the Church of Scientology helped improve his health, according to People magazine. Others said Jett was prone to seizures.

McDermott said Sunday that although Jett was last seen Thursday and found the following day, he doesn't believe that the teen was in the bathroom for a substantial amount of time.

"The police left the impression that the boy was unsupervised. No. There were two nannies with him for the entire evening," McDermott told The Associated Press. "They made it seem like he was sent to the condo and nobody checked in on him until the next morning."

"(Jett) was spectacularly supervised," said McDermott, who said he has not had the chance to talk to the two nannies himself.

McDermott said he had no knowledge of Jett's medical history but "understood he had a history of seizures." It is unclear whether Jett was taking medication for that.

The Bahamas' health minister, Dr. Hubert Minnis, has said that a second, U.S.-certified pathologist will fly in at dawn Monday to assist with the teenager's autopsy.

"I have spoken to (Travolta) and informed him that the government is doing everything it can," Minnis said Sunday, adding he could not disclose further specifics about the autopsy.

About a dozen security guards and Bahamian police officers patrolled Sunday around the luxury Old Bahama Bay resort community where Travolta and Preston remained inside their home. The white-sand beach in front of the suites was closed.

The couple also have an 8-year-old daughter, Ella Bleu.

Travolta, 54, is trying to finish funeral arrangements and hopes to fly his son's body to Florida by midweek, McDermott said. Travolta and Preston, 46, have a house in Ocala, Florida.

The Church of Scientology, established in 1945 by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, has attracted numerous celebrity followers, and among its more famed members is Travolta, who has long been one of Hollywood's biggest names. - GMANews.TV
  2. A.Non Hubbard Member

Re: Travolta "furious" Over Autism claims

lolwut
  3. Re: Travolta "furious" Over Autism claims

People make mistakes when they are angry. Push harder.
  4. Donovan Cook Member

Gee, who could have made those 'reports'???

Bold, my emphasis.
    /eye rolling
  5. Donovan Cook Member

Thus proving if you report the news (or are a publisher) you do no fact checking what so ever.
  6. Barbedanon Member

Ohhh, you mean that disease which doesn't cause seizures?

Well thanks for clearing that up. Guess we can all go home now.
  7. WTF Member

Has something been Not-Ised?

Is there something you are afraid to know?

Has a Reality been covered up?

Are you being careful about something?

Has another or others given you false data?

Misunderstoods?

Some sort of W/H?

Are you concerned about reputation?

8. j0eg0d Member

They keep pushing the "pronounced dead at hospital" angle - when the EMT said Jett had no pulse at the scene. I think the Scion lawyers want to paint a picture of the "loving" parents begging Jett to stay with them on the way to the hospital. The kid was probably dead for 10 hours before the ambulance arrived.
  9. Anonynamefag Member

We should make our own press release, then, if they're going to keep lying.
  10. Touchstone Member

I'm unaware of an autism-seizure connection. Jett obviously had some developmental disorder, but the public might never know exactly what it had been-- "autism" had just been a highly plausible candidate, maybe even correct. It's possible, of course, that Jett had several unrelated health problems, such as a diabetic who also happens to have asthma (just an example). I'm also unaware of Kawasaki Syndrome ever having been medically confirmed for Jett-- it's always sounded to me like John & Kelly's pet hypothesis, not an actual professional diagnosis. (Maybe someone will yell "Lurk Moar!" and give me a link to relevant material?)

IMHO, the question from the critic community's perspective is whether Scientology's broader, well-documented history of quackery contributed to an otherwise-preventable death. We don't know at this point in this case, but the public needs to be aware of this possibility, this threat.
  11. Mutante Member

Wiki 'autism' and or spend a moment with Google. That's all it takes to discover around 40% of those affected by autism also develop epilepsy, which involves seizures.

Epilepsy and autism are sufficiently common in the population that the public just won't buy any bullshit on either condition and certainly not the combination.
  12. eddieVroom Member

THIS.

I believe that Kawasaki's is a "shore story". However, be it Autism or Kawasaki's, the fact is that the boy had a history of rather horrific (the family's description) seizures -- and a seizure is now listed on the death certificate as the cause of death. And LRH gave explicit instructions for people suffering from seizures to discontinue meds so they can receive auditing -- without which, there would be no $cientology. Period.

And a devout $cientologist believes that Auditing can fix ANYTHING.

The Travolta family is clearly on record as stating that Jett was getting "detox", that is to say, the Purification Rundown. This is consistent with prepping the boy for Auditing.
  13. mrfyde Member

So if CoS was established in 1945 that would be BEFORE LRH wrote the government and begged for psychiatric treatment from the VA. (in 1947)

---
    Also Kawasaki was said to be cured by JT shortly after it was noticed. (it is treated w/ aspirin and blood transfusions not niacin and saunas btw) Doesn't really(usually seem to) effect kids over 8, and I have conflicting reports about seizures. Oh and is not proven to have come from cleaning products but reports say that KELLY BELIEVES it does. (she also thinks toxins are the devil like some kinda hippie)
  14. WTF Member

Here ya go: The Autism Home Page

"There is a long-standing link between seizures and autism. Early studies indicate that by the time a child with autism reaches puberty up to 25% of them will develop seizures."

I have a daughter with autism who has seizures (there is an underlying mutation: mosaic Turner's syndrome which was previously thought to be unrelated to autism, but actually is.)

I am also ex-Co$, and have previously been advised by Flag C/S that she was "an illegal PC". It is part of the reason I no longer work with the Co$.

From the pictures I have seen of poor Jett, he was probably autistic. (I also would not be surprised if karotyping showed some aberration with chromosome 10 and an X). [Yes I am a doctor, and one of my hobbies is genetics and molecular biology]

For my daughter we used to use valproic acid/depakote, but migrated to Lamictal upon advice from our neurologist. (We have never talked to a neurosurgeon, it just seems silly to think that anyone would, unless the seizures were uncontrollable and brain surgery were being considered.)

For acute episodes of seizures that are not expected/handled I use Lorazepam (a benzodiazepene similar Valium) for my daughter. I personally would question whether benzodiazepenes were used for Jett's recurrent severe seizures, and if not, why not?

I also question why a helmet was not used for an unmedicated kid with seizures. (Though I do know that autistic kids often violently protest even wearing hats.)

Though Jett's death is tragic, I think he was denied possible solutions that could have saved him.

I fully acknowledge that even with medications, Jett could have had seizures, fallen and suffered fatal injury. When it is your time, it is your time.

It is entirely likely that Jett said "THAT'S IT".

/salute Jett
  15. anongurl7 Member

Serious business.
  16. Elbynonamous Member

Firstly, they contradicted themselves numerous times. They say he wasn't left unsupervised, and that he had "spectacular supervision", but no one saw him from Thursday evening until late Friday morning? How much sense does that make?

And, random fun fact: Ocala is only 2 hours from Clearwater....
  17. Barbedanon Member

lol
  18. twistedpuppet Member

Yeah. Not to mention, if you have a child with special needs, you constantly check on them, especially when they are asleep. So what if it was normal for him to sleep 16 hours a day. That doesn't mean you don't go check on him during those 16 hours IF HE'S GOT A HISTORY OF SEVERE SEIZURES THAT EVENTUALLY LED TO HIS DEATH. I don't doubt that the Travoltas loved their son. But there was clearly neglect here. Someone didn't do their job and now the boy is dead.
  19. Relyt Member

Yes, indeed, his health has been improved so much! Why, just look at how healthy he is, now!
  20. Mutante Member

ZOMG the tech totally works!
  21. none given Member

We can gain nothing from this.
    Let him morn the kid.
  22. Relyt Member

The point is to show people how being dependent on Scientology ultimately helped in the loss of their son. For almost his whole life, Jett's autism was ignored because it was not recognized by L. Ron Hubbard, therefore it does not exist. There was so much John and Kelly could have done to help Jett adapt into society, and prevent his untimely death.

Also, no one is preventing him from mourning his son. He has all the time in the world to do that. We're just over here on the sidelines putting our effort into showing the world that there's more to this than just what's being reported. And the media thanks us for this.
  23. Oswald2001 Member

"Furious" and "outrage" are conditions often employed by lying manipulating $cilons and other manipulative scumbags.

Everybody remembers little Tommie Davis and his performance.

"I'm angry! Real angry! Right here! Right now!"

(That may been effective and scared Mommy when he was a little kid. Like holding his breath until he turned blue. But in the real world....not so much.)

So you're "furious" or "outraged" or "angry" or "real angry"...

You can still be LYING.

The Travoltas are not reading this and are free to mourn.

This is for people with seizure prone kids that are NOT DEAD.

There is still a chance for them.
  24. Plups Member

Travolta told Larry King in 2001 that a doctor diagnosed the Kawasaki syndrome. Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com (From 3.45)
  25. tonguetied Member

This is a valid point, but to tell you the truth, those not involved in the "critics movement" of anon (or other critics groups), are just seeing the attack against the Travolta family, NOT the actions (or inactions) of their beliefs that MIGHT have contributed to the poor kids untimely death.

There is an agenda here that most understand within this movement, but for others its hard to see past the perceived attacks on a beloved film star in a time of personal grief and pain.

2cents.
  26. RavenEyes Member

I don't think that's really true anymore. They're starting to question. Tonight on CNN Headline News, a caller asked if Scientology had anything to do with Jett's death, and the panel of "experts" while not skirting it a bit, answered it in a way that leads me to believe they are becoming more aware of issues re: Scientology than we may be giving them credit for. Now that the death certificate says "seizure", I'd be interested to see if any media outlet takes on the Purif. or CoS even stronger. Also - every news report I've seen has an expert on refuting the Kawasaki/seizure angle.
  27. tonguetied Member

It is good to see the Kawasaki angle being downplayed by Dr.s'. The press seems to be getting an idea but not following through on the beliefs angle. I think Grace even said something like "one is allowed to freely practice their religion." Another show had the host pretty much cutting off a Scient. critic as he tried to explain that medical care and "pharmaceutical" drugs were two different angles of Scient.
    Maybe there will be a time in the NEAR future that we'll see real discussions? Who would be the CoS representative? Would they even send one?
    Or is mass media still too scared of CoS to do further inquiry? I guess any reporter who did it would have to be VERY young, with no crimes or personal skeletons in a closet somewhere that could be used as a threat.

*sigh* Where is that paragon of virture?
  28. Buttons Member

WTF-

Would you please give a more detailed explantion as to why the Travolta's, as scientologists, are willing to say that it was Kawasaki syndrome, but are outraged with the term Autism?

Both are medical conditions.
    I'm just curious as to how they rationalize it to themselves.
  29. anongurl7 Member

well Scientology is all about being stably exterior...
  30. tonguetied Member

Do you think it's because a phycial medical condition-- as opposed to a neurological condition is more easily digested by a follower of CoS? It's all I can think of.
  31. WTF Member

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that Kawasaki syndrome is per the church a "medical condition" and therefore "under the radar".

"Autism" is either not recognized or is deemed a "psych term" or perhaps older terminology/diagnoses of "crazy" are used.

My first hand experience at Flag (the mother church) was a daughter with autism and on seizure meds was denied service or even advice as an "illegal PC". (Illegal PreClear=person who is not clear, whom we do not wish to help. Clear=person who has no "reactive mind". Please google and look for "reactive mind" if you wish.

A lot of Scientology was frozen and is not in present time. With "Keeping Scientology Working" LRH effectively stopped all research by others than himself in about 1967. (I do not agree with this, again from personal experience and consider myself a researcher).

copy of KSW is here: http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=168&Itemid=201

There have been alterations of policy and technology by the present church over the last 20 some years, which is pretty much forbidden in the KSW policy. (The church does not follow its own policies.) Alteration of the technology or policy of Scientology in the KSW doctrine is termed "squirreling". The present church is majorly guilty of this.

Historically "autism" was, prior to the 70's, sometimes called "childhood schizophrenia". With this label, the present church would probably assume the person to be "PTS Type III" (everyday term: crazy). PTS= "Potential Trouble Source"(google if you wish)=essentially a pain in the ass or do not want

Medicine and pharmacology as well as genetics/biochemistry have made many advances since the 60s and 70s. The Church of Scientology has not.

A lot of the scn tech is quite workable, though. I would not advise blindly following all of it or the present church.
  32. Buttons Member

tonguetied-

WTF is an ex-scientologist that is why I directed the question to him/her.
    I'm curious about the terminology that they use to distinguish it.
    Plain english not scilon speak.
  33. Buttons Member

WTF-
    Thank you.

I hope that someone in the media tracks down an answer to this question.
  34. eddieVroom Member

Well, to take an educated guess: Kawasaki's would potentially be a reaction to environmental toxins, which carries two attractions within the "true believer" mindset -- Jett would be a "victim", and the Purification Rundown (followed by Auditing) would be an appropriate method to "handling" the problem.

Kawasaki's reinforces $cientology-based beliefs.

Autism, on the other hand, would define Jett as a "degraded being". Proper medical treatment of his seizures would render him permanently ineligible for Auditing. Jett would become an object of shame and cast aspersions on his parents, who have been high-profile shills for the cult for years. And Hubbard said "I'd rather have you dead than incapable".

From Science of Survival, The Chart of Human Evaluation:

"Anyone who is a homosexual or has a chronic neurological condition is 1.1" (on the Tone Scale). 1.1 stands for "Covert Hostility". Hubbard said "they cannot be trusted, ever and at any time can jab you in the back".

Also from Science of Survivlal:

"In any event, any person from 2.0 down on the Tone Scale should not have, in any thinking society, any civil rights of any kind, because by abusing those rights he brings into being arduous and strenuous laws which are oppressive to those who need no such restraints."

"The sudden and abrupt deletion of all individuals occupying the lower bands of the Tone Scale from the social order would result in an almost instant rise in the cultural tone and would interrupt the dwindling spiral into which any society may have entered."

"There are only two answers for the handling of people from 2.0 down on the Tone Scale, neither one of which has anything to do with reasoning with them or listening to their justification of their acts. The first is to raise them on the Tone Scale by un-enturbulating some of their theta by any one of the three valid processes. The other is to dispose of them quietly and without sorrow."
  35. Scatman Member

Criminal Defense attorney hired as spokesman for Travolta?

Well, has anyone wondered why Travolta is employing an attorney to circulate false information about the circumstances of Jett's death? The police report should be public record. The coroner's report should be public record. Those records of the investigation should be obtained.
    By the way, I wonder if this is one of these attorney Michael McDermotts:
    Man has no legal grounds for objecting to 'Dykes on Bikes,' court says or
    Chief Porco Prosecutor Makes Big Announcement
    "Michael P. McDermott, the Chief Felony Prosecutor for the Albany County District Attorney's Office, and the lead trial attorney in the Porco murder trial, will be joining the Albany-based law firm of O'Connell and Aronowitz, effective January 1, 2007. Mr. McDermott will be returning to private practice to continue his career as a civil trial and criminal defense attorney. Before joining the District Attorney's office in 2002, Mr. McDermott had seven years' experience as a trial attorney handling major personal injury cases."
    In the press releases, McDermott is referred to as Travolta's "corporate and commerical attorney". But, it appears that this McDermott may be a criminal defense attorney.
    P.S. There is an attorney named Michael J. McDermott listed in Tampa, Florida, but he does not appear to have any advertising other than a phone directory listing. He is not affiliated with an major Tampa, Florida law firms.
  36. subgenius Member

Kawasaki ties in nicely with $cios "purification rundown" thingy. And is not "psychiatric" like autism. Just get them bad carpet cleaning chemicals out of his system....worked like a charm.
    Just saw a Kawasaki expert dispute any connection to carpet cleaning chemicals.
  37. MsDweller Member

Tonight I watched that show with Debra Norville (Current Affair?) anyway, $cientology got zapped pretty good. And they will continue to investigate the case, as details become available. They showed a clip with Joey Travolta, who is an advocate for Autism, and his movie, (plus his conviction that Jett was autistic) caused a riff between brothers.

NOW HERE'S THE INTERESTING PART, JT'S JET MADE TRIPS AND FLEW OVER 100 PPL FROM CLEARWATER TO A PRIVATE NEW YEARS EVE PARTY. THE HOUSE WAS STILL FULL OF GUESTS WHEN JETT DIED, AS THE ADULTS WERE ON "DAY 3" OF CELEBRATING

*emphasis mine*

The same show also questioned the qualifications of the "Nanny"/Photographer, and showed his website.
  38. TheBitch Member

If they change to any other explanation other than kawasaki, PEOPLE GO TO PRISON. The reason for the consistency of stance is that any other diagnosis would be a prima face' case of child ABUSE and criminally negligent homicide.

You can't believe in the Easter Bunny all your life, and force your child to seek healthcare from Santa Claus, then suddenly change to Jesus when he turns up dead one morning. To be inconsistent now that a death has resulted, is to open oneself up to prosecution. If EVER there's a time when "always attack, never defend," it's when you've got an unexplained body you have to get rid of in full public view.
  39. MsDweller Member

they also reported that JT rode in the back of the ambulance with Jett, while Mommy Dearest sat in from. A Parametric was interviewed, who was one of the first responders, and he said that JT was "Holding Jett's hand", and it was "reported that CPR was attempted", though the Parametric did not see that.
  40. Obi-Wan-anon Member

Prayers. From implanted thoughts about religion. I doubt that those inside the cult wold offer prayers.

And the second bold: "...beautiful reminder of the inherent goodness in the human spirit..." that the cult is trying to clear from the planet.

And "...gives us hope for a brighter future..." Yes, when the cult is brought down.