Customize

"Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology" book by Leah Remini

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by The Wrong Guy, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Random guy Member

She's made some seriously big splashes in the celebrity world. My guess is that she has made quite and impact on Captain Miscavige's ability to recruit in Hollywood. The "pull" of Cruise and Travolta is waning, and with the double blow presented by Gibney and Remini, their ability to catch another rising star is severely curtailed.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Book Review.

Under The Radar: Leah Remini, Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/reviews/troublemaker_surviving_hollywood_and_scientology/

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

In frank and readable style, Remini discusses her indoctrination to the church's beliefs. She's put through rigorous training and faced questionable disciplinary measures. She spends a great deal of money to the church. She makes some influential friends. However, along the way, she comes to her senses. Practices seem increasingly strange to her and the lack of answers she is able to get from church officials, especially in regard to the whereabouts of leader David Miscavige's wife, eventually come to a breaking point, and Remini summons all the courage she can muster to leave. Which also sadly means disconnecting from the people she knew in the church, which represented the lion's share of her social and familial circle.

Troublemaker is a brave book. It is candid. Remini does not hold back, although one sense that the depth of her knowledge vastly exceeds what she's able to include here. Also worth noting is that Remini's personality, the one she so deftly and hilariously presented on The King of Queens, leaps off the page throughout her book. Troublemaker is not dry. It's not self-serious, even though, given the subject matter, it might have the right to be. It's engaging from the first page to the end. Even if one wasn't before, one becomes invested in Remini's story. Which makes things all the more satisfying when, in the end, she finds herself able to be free.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  3. unfortunately her book has dropped from the Best seller lists. I guess her 15 minutes of fame are over :(
    lovingLeah
    This message by lovingLeah has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  4. Random guy Member

Those were extremely long 15 minutes. Oh, and she's still famous BTW.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. anon8109 Member

I guess it's still rice and beans tonight for OSA for their complete fail.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. failboat Member

• Like Like x 5
  7. Kilia Member

GO LEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    • Like Like x 2
  8. 234234
    This message by 234234 has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Random guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. She sold more copies then there are Scientologists left :D
  11. anon8109 Member

I suspect that in order to inflate the number sold, the Scientology corporation instructed every member of its cult to go out and buy at least 5 copies of Remini's book.

Oh wait...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. That is a lot of people who are going to find out just what the Church of Scientology doesn't want them to find out.

Even just one person who buys her book is too much for the Church of Scientology to tolerate. Feels good.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. It seems to me Leah Remini is now ending free books to Libraries because she cannot sell her overstock and to inflate her "stats"
    bookreader
    This message by bookreader has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 5
  14. whoever Member

Right...because Remini keeps all the unsold copies in her garage and obviously has plenty of time and money to do this, and...well, it's just sooooo important to get that sales figure up above 122,000.... :D

Anyway, it's still selling well. It's on various lists, and it's stayed on them a decent amount of time. But more important (to me) is the publicity the book has received. How do you quantify all the people who've heard her story on TV, in a magazine, online, etc.? I'm glad so many are learning about the CoS. And when the book comes out in paperback (probably in, what, about six months?), even more will be inoculated.
    • Like Like x 6
  15. Yeah, just like the Church of Scientology has been doing for years.
  16. https://twitter.com/MackPhillips/status/683499169600811008

MackPhillips.PNG

EDITED TO ADD:

Mackenzie Phillips is a graduate of Scientology's Narconon rehab program.

Nothing says medical privacy like a press release.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/09/prweb2942884.htm

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Mackenzie Phillips Completes Drug Rehab Through Narconon Louisiana

Hollywood actress is finally able to overcome life-long addiction through Narconon drug rehab program.

DENHAM SPRINGS, LA (PRWEB) SEPTEMBER 25, 2009

Hollywood actress is finally able to overcome life-long addiction through Narconon drug rehab program. As chronicled in her recent book "High on Arrival," Mackenzie Phillips was introduced to the world of drug addiction at a very young age.

"I kind of grew up on television. I was what they call a child star," says Mackenzie. "I also grew up in a family that used and abused drugs. My dad was a rock star in the 60's. Drugs were the norm in my family."

As she got older, Mackenzie's drug use continued to increase, and as a result they continually crept into her professional life. Unable to maintain her lifestyle, she was asked to leave "One Day At a Time" and her drug use continued for many years, until last year Mackenzie finally found a solution to her problem - the Narconon Louisiana drug and alcohol rehabilitation program.

When she arrived at Narconon Louisiana, addicted to heroin and cocaine, Mackenzie had just been bailed out on felony drug possession charges. "I felt like my life was over," she explains. "I'd had 10 years clean time in the past, but I felt defeated by my relapse."

Once Mackenzie arrived at Narconon Louisiana she was given the opportunity to break free from her past. "At Narconon Louisiana I was welcomed into a family of amazing people who truly cared about me. I was given the opportunity to repair past difficulties, under the caring and watchful eye of the staff. The program has given me the freedom to move forward into my future, a future I did not think I had," says Phillips.

The way the Narconon program achieved this was through a unique method that handles both the physical and mental aspects of addiction. During the first part of the program clients go through a sauna detoxification program, which eliminates residues that are left in the body by drugs and therefore reducing physical cravings for the drugs. The second half of the Narconon Program is a series of life skills courses, which restore an individual back to a productive, ethical, contributing member of society while raising their abilities to handle problems or difficulties.

Narconon Louisiana opened its doors in 2006 and has graduated over 150 clients from its residential drug rehab facility. The program achieves a more than 76% success rate for permanent recovery from addiction.

Like many others, Mackenzie is one individual that has been able to achieve sobriety through the Narconon drug treatment program.

"This is the beginning of my life," says Mackenzie. "I've learned who I am and what I am and I like what I've found out about myself. I can now move forward with my life, letting the past remain behind me and that means that life is new and I am new. I'll never forget my time (at Narconon)."

The executives and staff off Narconon Louisiana are proud of the accomplishments Mackenzie and other program graduates have made in overcoming difficult past experiences on the way to permanent recovery from substance abuse.

If you or someone you know is struggling with a drug or alcohol addiction contact Narconon Louisiana at 866-422-4650.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  17. EDITED TO ADD:

Mackenzie Phillips is a graduate of Scientology's Narconon rehab program.

Nothing says medical privacy like a press release.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/09/prweb2942884.htm

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Mackenzie Phillips Completes Drug Rehab Through Narconon Louisiana

Hollywood actress is finally able to overcome life-long addiction through Narconon drug rehab program.

DENHAM SPRINGS, LA (PRWEB) SEPTEMBER 25, 2009

Hollywood actress is finally able to overcome life-long addiction through Narconon drug rehab program. As chronicled in her recent book "High on Arrival," Mackenzie Phillips was introduced to the world of drug addiction at a very young age.

"I kind of grew up on television. I was what they call a child star," says Mackenzie. "I also grew up in a family that used and abused drugs. My dad was a rock star in the 60's. Drugs were the norm in my family."

As she got older, Mackenzie's drug use continued to increase, and as a result they continually crept into her professional life. Unable to maintain her lifestyle, she was asked to leave "One Day At a Time" and her drug use continued for many years, until last year Mackenzie finally found a solution to her problem - the Narconon Louisiana drug and alcohol rehabilitation program.

When she arrived at Narconon Louisiana, addicted to heroin and cocaine, Mackenzie had just been bailed out on felony drug possession charges. "I felt like my life was over," she explains. "I'd had 10 years clean time in the past, but I felt defeated by my relapse."

Once Mackenzie arrived at Narconon Louisiana she was given the opportunity to break free from her past. "At Narconon Louisiana I was welcomed into a family of amazing people who truly cared about me. I was given the opportunity to repair past difficulties, under the caring and watchful eye of the staff. The program has given me the freedom to move forward into my future, a future I did not think I had," says Phillips.

The way the Narconon program achieved this was through a unique method that handles both the physical and mental aspects of addiction. During the first part of the program clients go through a sauna detoxification program, which eliminates residues that are left in the body by drugs and therefore reducing physical cravings for the drugs. The second half of the Narconon Program is a series of life skills courses, which restore an individual back to a productive, ethical, contributing member of society while raising their abilities to handle problems or difficulties.

Narconon Louisiana opened its doors in 2006 and has graduated over 150 clients from its residential drug rehab facility. The program achieves a more than 76% success rate for permanent recovery from addiction.

Like many others, Mackenzie is one individual that has been able to achieve sobriety through the Narconon drug treatment program.

"This is the beginning of my life," says Mackenzie. "I've learned who I am and what I am and I like what I've found out about myself. I can now move forward with my life, letting the past remain behind me and that means that life is new and I am new. I'll never forget my time (at Narconon)."

The executives and staff off Narconon Louisiana are proud of the accomplishments Mackenzie and other program graduates have made in overcoming difficult past experiences on the way to permanent recovery from substance abuse.

If you or someone you know is struggling with a drug or alcohol addiction contact Narconon Louisiana at 866-422-4650.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *
  18. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Leah Remini’s Troublemaker is an irresistibly gossipy takedown of Scientology.

AV Club: Leah Remini’s Troublemaker is an irresistibly gossipy takedown of Scientology

http://www.avclub.com/article/leah-reminis-troublemaker-irresistibly-gossipy-tak-233179

March 17, 2016

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

Troublemaker is, like its author, and the rest of humanity (with the notable exception of Tom Cruise) ragingly imperfect. There’s a section on Remini’s disastrous, short-lived stint on a The View knockoff called The Talk that could easily be excised. But Remini and ghost writer Rebecca Paley capture the veteran actress’ melodramatic journey of faith and disillusionment in a voice that’s feisty and relatable. This short treatise on how a street-smart New Yorker made some very dumb decisions in Hollywood never wears out its welcome.

Remini’s engaging account of losing her religion is more breezy beach read than serious tome. Troublemaker isn’t an exhaustively researched magnum opus like Going Clear, but rather a compulsively readable, if minor, addition to the growing field of literature dedicated to the notion that Scientology isn’t just dishonest and misguided, but something approaching a crime against humanity.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
  20. JohnnyRUClear Member

Scientology, what are your crimes?

...never mind; we already know.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  21. This is weird. Leah says she doesn't know Mike Esterman, the man who says he is booking speaking engagements for her. Is it possible her agent or manager made the arrangement and hasn't informed her yet? Very strange.

https://twitter.com/LeahRemini/status/735614064030711808

LeahReminiSpeakingEngagements1.PNG

22. Wtf. He's saying he's booking her but is scam? Brb,looking at Mr Fuckface.
  23. No clue,but looks legit, like a miscommunication?
  24. Could it be that both Mike Esterman and Leah are victims of a Scientology op? That somebody contacted Mike Esterman claiming to represent Leah, made the arrangements, and Esterman didn't realize he had to contact Leah or her agent or manager directly - didn't do his homework?
  25. anon8109 Member

It's pretty easy to solve this mystery, they could just ask the organizer who it is that paid him.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Assuming he has been paid, and didn't send out the original Tweet based on a "contract," "confirmation" letter or even "confirmation" e-mail.

I can imagine him receiving a call from a blocked number from a person claiming to represent Leah. Then an e-mail from a plausible domain. Excited, he tweets out the news.....
  27. JohnnyRUClear Member

Oh, come on, guys! Scientology would have to be stupid/crazy to try a stunt like this.
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  29. Kilia Member

:eek: This is getting interesting again.
    • Like Like x 5
  30. DeathHamster Member

Or spoofed Caller Id, like telemarketers or SWATting shitheads.