Customize

TV Show, "Broad City" Jumping On The Scientology "Dis" Wagon

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by RightOn, Feb 25, 2016.

1. RightOn Member

I watched Broad City last night and was shocked when I heard several COS references pop out of nowhere.
    The scene was the two girls who star in the show being reprimanded in the back room of a local food co-op that one of the girls was a member of.
    The owner was yelling at them for not pictching in with shift hours and that they signed a BILLION YEAR contract! I almost fell off my seat. The co-op also had a cult like vibe.
    The owner of the co-op also called the girls "SP'S! :eek:
    And said the only alternative was DISCONNECTION!! :eek:

Bravo to Broad City for dissing the COS!
    Keep them coming!
    Wonder how many viewers caught those references? LOL!
    • Like Like x 4
  2. amaX Member

I have to wonder if some of these writers of these sit-coms are friends with each other? Two Broke Girls has had multiple references to the cult on at least two of their shows. Now multiple references to the cult on Broad City? I wish I'd seen it!

I love it.
  3. RightOn Member

Last night I watched "Two Broke Girls" (show sucks BTW)
    They were in a hotel room and the manager came in and said they had to leave the suite they were upgraded to for an hour because a Hollywood "A" lister needed the room for a meeting.
    The girl with the brown hair asked the manager "Is this meeting a John Travolta /masuese type thingy?"
    and the manager replied, "NO, I said "A" lister! "

Bwah ha ha! Travolta getting dissed!
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

I noticed this being mentioned in some recent articles that showed up in news searches.

Your BFFs Are Back in Broad City’s New Season | WIRED

There’s a local food coop that’s slowly revealed to be a Scientology-style cult...

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/broad-city-season-3/

Broad City Recap: Dump Out, Flawless | Vulture

The co-op owner pulls Abbi and Ilana into the back room where she deems them S.P.s — a reference to the Scientology slang for "Suppressive Persons" that here means "Shitty People" — and says they "belong on garbage island." She kicks them out of the co-op world for good, but not before she reveals that every co-op requires a billion-year contract and that local produce has made her fertile forever. It's delightfully weird, and if there are two topics that will never cease to delight and fascinate me, both in comedy and otherwise, it's Scientology and hyperspecific details about Park Slope.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/broad-city-recap-season-3-episode-2.html
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RightOn Member

More dissing... although I guess the Smoths are out of the Scientology game now?
    Doesn't matter, I can never stand her anyways

Jada Pinkett Smith: Oscars Host Chris Rock Mocks Actress Over Boycott of Award Show
    "Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited,” Rock said
  6. anon8109 Member