Customize

Twenty upcoming books on Scientology

Discussion in 'Scientology and Anonymous' started by Incredulicide, Mar 22, 2015.

1. AN UPDATE FROM KAREN SCHLESS PRESSLEY.

https://escapingscientology2017.com/2017/02/26/chapter-excerpts/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

August 28, 2017 – Well, it’s been a long haul since I first started this blog and didn’t let anyone know about it. Meanwhile, we completed two major publication projects:

– We edited Janis Gillham Grady’s book, Commodore’s Messenger: A Child Adrift in the Sea Organization – Book One. She released it in late July 2017!

– I wrote an 800-page version of Escaping Scientology: An Insider’s True Story without paying attention to word count or page count. My associate called and asked if I really wanted to publish a book as long as War and Peace, since the manuscript I sent him for interior layout came to 238,000 words and 800 pages. It took me almost as long to abridge the book as it did to write it. I came up with the idea to post stories from my original book content on my book website, which enabled me to produce a book that was more manageable for readers at 400 pages, with more information available at http://www.escapingscientology.com.

– Jeff Hawkins at Skyhawk Studios designed a stunning cover for the hardback, print and e-book formats.

– It’s going through the finishing process now and should be out within two weeks!

– Also went to Los Angeles twice this summer, once in June to join Janis Gillham Grady at her awesome Reconnect event for ex-Sea Org and ex-Scientologists. Again in late July for an opportunity to contribute to A&E’s Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath. I’ll be writing about this experience in an upcoming blog post. Looks like the episode I am in will be aired Sept. 19, 2017. Can’t wait to see the final cut.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Incredulicide Member

Upcoming book!
    Flunk. Start.: Report From a Former Scientologist
    Sands Hall
    Publisher: Counterpoint (March 1, 2018)
    ASIN: B071P44P9R
    368 pages, no cover image available yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. NOW AVAILABLE - Escaping Scientology: An Insider's True Story, by Karen Schless Pressley

https://www.amazon.com/Escaping-Scientology-Insiders-Celebrity-Spirituality-ebook/dp/B075MB8WKC/

MxWd2tx.jpg

Escaping Scientology: An Insider's True Story: My Journey With the Cult of Celebrity Spirituality, Greed and Power

Kindle Edition
    by Karen Schless Pressley (Author), Mike Rinder (Foreword), Steven Hassan (Foreword)

Kindle $9.99

Artists Peter and Karen Schless were seduced by Scientology's celebrity spirituality, and detoured from Hollywood careers to join its extremist group, the Sea Org. In leader David Miscavige's inner sanctum, they built their mental prison as they melded into its radicalized lifestyle where danger, captivity and abuse were normalized. After three escapes, Karen chose between two unbearable options.

Escaping Scientology Part I sweeps you into the lives of two young adults filled with hope and love as designer Karen and her award-winning musician-composer husband Peter overcome obstacles to succeed in the music and fashion industries together. Scientology re-focuses their goals toward the importance of clearing the planet and recruiting celebrities to build Scientology's social capital. Karen portrays the basic beliefs of Scientology that led to her radicalization into the Sea Org at the Celebrity Centre, a fortress where artists aspire to achieve greatness while attaining spiritual freedom through L. Ron Hubbard’s teachings. Karen shows how celebrities are lured into Scientology and develop a co-dependent relationship from which few break out.

Part II reveals Karen as a flawed and complex woman when she and Peter move to the secretive International Management headquarters, where they join 800 fanatical Sea Org members that made billion-year commitments to make this a Scientology world without war, criminality, or insanity. Karen finds the dystopian outpost and its global operations to be proof that Time magazine’s 1991 article, “The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power” captures the essence of Scientology’s mindset, that she describes as “war is everything and everything is war.” She is no passive victim as she attempts to stay in the driver’s seat and keep their marriage intact while fighting the pressures of the Int base culture that attempt to break them apart. Scientology goes under “Cruise Control” as Miscavige becomes obsessed with his biggest trophy, Tom Cruise, and stiffens his control and abusive punishment methods on the Int base staff. Karen rebels against regulations and spends time in Scientology’s prison camp. After two attempts to escape the Int base, she is trailed by security guards and coerced into returning. Failing to escape, she questions the evidence of her own senses, and makes a mind-twisting re-commitment to become the best version of a Sea Org member she can be. Karen carves out a world she can live within as she is promoted into the highest echelons of management, appointed by the Chairman of the Board RTC to Int Management Public Relations Officer and later to take charge of the image of Sea Org staff internationally from the Int Finance Office. While working on special projects under David and Shelley Miscavige, she travels to Scientology bases around the world where she sees human rights violations set in place by Hubbard’s policies that cause her to conclude Scientology is a for-profit business that builds billions of dollars of assets on the backs of Sea Org slave labor, while hiding behind the banner of the First Amendment, claiming benefits and protection as a non-profit religion.

The epilogue of Part III portrays the mind-wrenching process of physical escape, and psychological anguish as Karen plies herself out of Scientology’s grip and endures its cruel disconnection policy. She re-acclimates herself to life on the outside while, brick by brick, she disassembles the walls of the mental prison she had built, and survives with the help of her accomplice and the love and support of her family.

Karen's narrative memoir shows that Scientology's plan, authored by L. Ron Hubbard and David Miscavige, is filled with flaws: While the leaders impose their will on members who follow blindly and spend exorbitant amounts of money or dedicate their lives to achieve spiritual freedom, they grossly underestimate the power of individual free will in those brave enough to escape and speak out.

Length: 426 pages
    Word Wise: Enabled
    Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled
    Page Flip: Enabled

Product details

File Size: 5884 KB
    Print Length: 426 pages
    Publisher: Bayshore Publications - Nokomis, FL; 1 edition (September 17, 2017)
    Publication Date: September 17, 2017
    Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
    Language: English
    ASIN: B075MB8WKC
    Text-to-Speech: Enabled
    X-Ray:
    Not Enabled
    Lending: Enabled
    Screen Reader: Supported
    Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #9,163 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
    #3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Occult > Cults & Demonism
    #5 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions, Practices & Sacred Texts > Cults
    #113 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Shelton interviews Karen Pressley, author of the new book Escaping Scientology.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. VIDEO: Karen Schless Pressley, Former Commanding Officer Scientology Celebrity Centre - Part 1

• Like Like x 1
  8. Now available in hardcover, softcover and Kindle editions: Escaping Scientology, by Karen Schless Pressley.
    https://www.amazon.com/Escaping-Scientology-Insiders-Celebrity-Spirituality-ebook/dp/B075MB8WKC/
    /
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Incredulicide Member

Driven-front-cover-02.jpg

From https://kaymrowe.wordpress.com/2017/09/24/my-choices-my-good-my-bad-are-on-me/
    "My autobiography, “Over the Edge: A Pawn in the Scientology Money Machine”, that has been nearly 2 years in the making, will be released in a week or two.

I’m hoping that my book and blog articles go viral. Why? Because a lot of people in this world need to wake up and take control of their lives if they are ever to be truly free and happy."
    Back Cover:
    Driven-back-cover-02.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Here's an excerpt from a post in another thread:

San Diego State University Library Debuts New Science Fiction Room | San Diego State University

Donald Westbrook, who received a Ph.D. in religious studies from Claremont Graduate University in 2015, called the collection “a preeminent resource for scientology studies [which] continues to receive fuller academic attention as one of many American-born new religious movements.” His book about the Church of Scientology is due out next year from Oxford University Press.

More at https://whyweprotest.net/threads/san-diego-org-moved.130484/page-2#post-2617535
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Incredulicide Member

https://openlibrary.org/works/OL17794669W/Over_the_Edge
    Published October 4, 2017 by Amazon Digital Services .
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NEW BOOK - Over the Edge: A Pawn in the Scientology Money Machine, by Kay Rowe.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0765SXMBP/

ZTZBqlc.jpg

Over the Edge: A Pawn in the Scientology Money Machine

by Kay Rowe (Author)

Kindle $9.99 to buy

In a billion years I never thought I'd get involved in a cult, let alone sign a billion year contract with one and stick with it for 37 years.

The most oft questions I have been asked are "Why did you get involved in the first place?" and "What took you so long to finally get out?"
    I am confident that you will find the answers to both of these questions and many more in the pages within. This is not just my memoir, but a story that needs to be told of harsh abuse, medical neglect and voracious greed all under the banner of a religion which claims to be saving this planet and the universe. From my early days getting involved in Scientology in Santa Barbara to joining the elite Sea Organization and slaving for pennies a day, there are no stones left unturned. I was a pawn in the Church of Scientology's money making machine and this is my story.

I reside in Omaha, NE, surrounded by Wonderful friends. In addition to being a Writer, I am a Realtor and Wealth Advisor. My passion to help people enjoy a higher quality of life recently landed me a position as a Rep for a company that provides Mobile Dental Care for the elderly in Skilled Nursing Facilities.

Length: 284 pages
    Page Flip: Enabled
    Matchbook Price: $2.99

Product details
    File Size: 814 KB
    Print Length: 284 pages
    Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
    Publication Date: October 4, 2017
    Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
    Language: English
    ASIN: B0765SXMBP
    Text-to-Speech: Enabled
    X-Ray: Not Enabled
    Lending: Enabled
    Screen Reader: Supported

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #8,065 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
    #5 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions, Practices & Sacred Texts
    #5 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions, Practices & Sacred Texts > Scientology
    #19 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Religious

• Like Like x 1
  13. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. Incredulicide Member

13 minutes into this interview Jeffrey Augustine mentions he's writing a book about Scientology and contract/copyright law with religious protections.
  15. I hope it's better than these piles of crap:

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
  16. TorontosRoot Member

Eh, those are just books. Never read them, however they are intriguing and interesting.
  17. Then buy and read them asap.
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

[IMG]

A new academic book takes apart Scientology and pop culture, and the apologists hate it

By Tony Ortega, April 11, 2018

Quote:

We have to apologize to University of Alberta Professor Stephen A. Kent. He sent us a copy of his newest book ages ago, and we simply haven’t had time to do more than leaf through it.

It’s an academic tome, and its title is Scientology in Popular Culture: Influences and Struggles for Legitimacy, and it’s a collection of chapters written by various scholars, including Susan Raine and Hugh Urban.

Kent himself is one of the hardest-working scholars in the Scientology field, and he’s amassed a legendary collection of Scientology materials, some of which we got access to when we were researching our own book about Paulette Cooper, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely.

Raine is one of Kent’s former graduate students, and we really liked a 2014 paper she put out about Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard’s fiction and how it relates to Scientology.

Urban has done fantastic work explaining Scientology, and we’ve admired much of his work, particularly on Hubbard and the occult.

Urban’s chapter in the new book looks for ways in which Scientology concepts can be traced back to Hubbard’s pulp fiction — an idea we’ve explored on our own in the past.

Kent himself wrote three chapters, which number a total of thirteen, including Raine’s lengthy introduction, and they cover everything from Scientology’s obsession with celebrities to Hubbard’s interest in music.

But we just haven’t had time to dive into the chapters much, and for that we feel pretty terrible. But we thought we should bring it up after the book got a roughing up by Italian academic Massimo Introvigne in the journal of the apologist “new religious movements” group CESNUR, based in Turin.

Wow, this guy hates Steve Kent.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/04/11/a...y-and-pop-culture-and-the-apologists-hate-it/
    • Like Like x 3
  19. TorontosRoot Member

Kent is kicking scientology's butt.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Hana Whitfield’s book excerpt: L. Ron Hubbard’s amidships meltdown over ‘Xemu’ and OT 3

By Tony Ortega, April 21, 2018

Quote:

We sure have a treat for you today. On Thursday, after we posted excerpts from L. Ron Hubbard’s most notorious lecture, his 1968 lesson about Xenu/Xemu and a 75 million-year-old genocide, we heard from someone who served with Hubbard at the time, Hana Whitfield! We hope you remember what an amazing job she did describing life on the high seas with Hubbard in the 2015 HBO documentary, ‘Going Clear.’

Anyway, we can hardly believe it, but Hana was inspired by our story on Thursday and decided to share with us a chapter of a forthcoming book she’s been working on. She can’t tell us the title or the publication date of the book yet, but the chapter is all about her own experience with Incident Two and OT 3 and Hubbard, and we knew you’d want to see it.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/04/21/h...bbards-amidships-meltdown-over-xemu-and-ot-3/
    • Like Like x 2
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

A new ex-Scientologist memoir provides a journey through extortion in the rank-and-file

By Tony Ortega, April 28, 2018

Quote:

Books by ex-Scientologists keep arriving, and we received one this week that we didn’t even know was coming at all, from an ex-Scientologist we hadn’t spoken to before. So yes, forgive us if we were a little skeptical about whether we’d enjoy Chris Shugart’s Fractured Journey: A Personal Account of 30 Outrageous Years in the Church of Scientology.

But right away, we liked how Chris presented his book, and the humble way he positioned it. No, he wasn’t a celebrity in the church. He’d never been in the inner hardcore of the organization, the Sea Org. He didn’t have any stories like you would find in Marc Headley’s Blown for Good or Jefferson Hawkins’s Counterfeit Dreams with outrageous stories about David Miscavige’s treatment of people.

But on the other hand, what we often hear from the religious studies professors is that they want accounts not about the famous names in the church but from the rank and file, the average Joes and Janes who move up the “Bridge” of Scientology courses, go to church events, and keep the place going in their own way.

Shugart sure delivers that, and in a spare, well-written style that is self-conscious about being factual and non-judgmental. There’s simply no question, for example, that Shugart gave Scientology every chance to be a positive part of his life. Time and again, whether he was working in the Westwood Mission in the 1970s, or supplying printing needs to the church in Los Angeles in the 1980s, he would give the church the benefit of the doubt — and paid for it nearly every time.

This is not a book that spends much time considering L. Ron Hubbard’s “technology” and whether it might have some actual benefits. What you get instead is a steady, relentless look at how an average church member is prodded, poked, strong-armed, and simply ripped off for money, money, money.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/04/28/a...urney-through-extortion-in-the-rank-and-file/

The above post is also here:
    https://whyweprotest.net/threads/bi...o-have-spoken-out.57290/page-202#post-2626648
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Incredulicide Member

Great to see! Now all we need is the ISBN (or ASIN) and the name of the publisher (or otherwise the means it was published). Neither have yet to show up on the book order site, and only Tony's article has May 9 as the publish date.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. FWIW, the May 9 date appears to be consistent with the following from the book website:

http://www.fracturedjourney.shugartmedia.com/order.html

Price: $4.75
    This special offer is good through May 8, 2018

24. NEW book: Fractured Journey: A Personal Account of 30 Outrageous Years in the Church of Scientology, by Chris Shugart.

http://www.fracturedjourney.shugartmedia.com/index.html

hI6bQO5.jpg

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Just Another Story

From Another Former Scientologist?

If you think you've seen it all before, take another look. Author Chris Shugart likes to think of himself as the Forrest Gump of Scientology. He was both witness and activist in some of Scientology’s most defining moments. As the Church grew, it was also gaining notoriety. This was the era of deprogrammers, counter-intelligence operations, and the Guardians Office FBI raids. For thirty years, Chris took part in shady financial deals, Church sanctioned covert activities, and just about every ludicrous exploit in which a Scientologist could possibly participate.

This is a first hand account of events as they happened. The book also includes many after-the-fact retrospectives, as Shugart takes occasional moments to look back on a bewildering journey that transformed him into a militant Scientologist. Former members will find some of the stories familiar, as they see similar parallels to their own experiences. Those less acquainted with Scientology will gain some insights into the Church organization and its policies, as well as L. Ron Hubbard's "applied religious philosophy" that his fanatical followers so zealously promote.

Fractured Journey is more than just an insider's tell-all of the strange world of Scientology. It's an intimate perspective into the mindset of the true believers, those fervent disciples of fanatical religious movements, extremist political organizations, and trendy social revolutions. For them, no end is greater, and therefore no means too severe.

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Be sure to check out the Bonus Material, which includes (among other interesting material) "Bob Duggan Becomes a Scientologist."

http://www.fracturedjourney.shugartmedia.com/bonus.html

Review by Tony Ortega:

A new ex-Scientologist memoir provides a journey through extortion in the rank-and-file

https://tonyortega.org/2018/04/28/a-new-ex-scientologist-memoir-provides-a-journey-through-extortion-in-the-rank-and-file/

• Like Like x 1

25. O/T: New from Chris Shugart, author of Fractured Journey: A Personal Account of 30 Outrageous Years in the Church of Scientology:

Former Scientologist Magazine

http://www.formerscientologistmagazine.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Editor.FSM/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBo3599jSo8Xinm1nVW53gw

Intro Video:

EDITED TO ADD:

Story tweeted:

https://twitter.com/IndieScieNews/status/995103343520505861

GSpJoRx.png
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Book Trailer for “Fractured Journey: A Personal Account of 30 Outrageous Years in the Church of Scientology,” by Chris Shugart.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Incredulicide Member

Product details

• Paperback: 278 pages
    • Publisher: Independently published (May 8, 2018)
    • Language: English
    • ISBN-10: 1980987718
    • ISBN-13: 978-1980987710
    • Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.7 x 9 inches
    • Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

[IMG]

Karen Pressley on the madness of Sea Org life: ‘I no longer belonged to my dreams’

By Tony Ortega, May 26, 2018

Quote:

We recently asked Marc Headley and Jefferson Hawkins for excerpts from their books about their experiences in the Sea Org, and today we have an outtake from Karen Pressley’s book, Escaping Scientology: My Journey with the Cult of Celebrity Spirituality, Greed & Power.

Like Headley and Hawkins, Pressley wants us to understand the Orwellian world of Int Base, and what it was like to live at the whims of a madman like Scientology leader David Miscavige. We think she did a bang-up job.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/05/26/k...a-org-life-i-no-longer-belonged-to-my-dreams/

29. xander meehan Member

It is really interesting how many books keep coming out. I wonder how many books have been sold per author. I personally think it would be important information for all ofr us to actually know.

Once again..... great big gigantic kudos for you WRONG GUY.... most especially for your perseverance in posting.

I wonder how Mark Bunker is doing these days. Still Sick?

I wonder if he has gotten any closer to a finished film....

Not to create any firestorm mind you.... just curious.
    Xander
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Incredulicide Member

[IMG]

During the main event at HowdyCon in Chicago, we revealed there’s a new book coming soon which we’re pretty excited about.
    The last time we were in Chicago, in 2015, we were there to promote our 2015 book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, our history of Paulette Cooper and how the Church of Scientology, which called her “Miss Lovely” in spy documents, tried to destroy her.
    A few months ago, Paulette approached us with an idea — shouldn’t there be a book of the best of the Underground Bunker? And could she edit and publish such a thing?
    We loved the idea, and so we went to work. We told her we had an idea for a title which we’d heard from Kay Rowe, who graciously gave us her blessing to use it — “Battlefield Scientology.”
    Paulette has worked hard to gather a large number of pieces, we’ve edited them to update them where possible, and she’s written introductions for several thematic groupings of the stories. The result is a large collection of material that documents Scientology, past and present, and in one handy volume.
    Here’s what Paulette says about it:
    This book was written for people who think they know just about everything there is to know about Scientology, and to those who know nothing. The stories range from the early days of L. Ron Hubbard’s life to what is happening in his movement today. The chapters were chosen to appeal not only to former Scientologists, but also never-Scientologists, as well as to people who are just beginning to dip their toes in this subject. The 300 pages and 30 photos reflect not only what’s interesting, but also what’s important in understanding what has happened in this organization right down to what’s happening today. The paperback and e-book are scheduled for release in September.
    • Like Like x 1
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology scam: ‘It hadn’t occurred to me I was getting appalling advice from Church execs’

By Tony Ortega, June 30, 2018

Quote:

This week in our series of excerpts from books about Scientology, we have an excerpt from the newest addition to the pile, Chris Shugart’s Fractured Journey: A Personal Account of 30 Outrageous Years in the Church of Scientology. We specifically asked for this portion of the book, which practically drove us nuts when we read it. Couldn’t Chris see the disaster he was walking into? Ah, Scientologists. From the books chapter ten, “Rising Costs,” here’s Chris’s setup for what became a world of hurt.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/06/30/s...s-getting-appalling-advice-from-church-execs/
    • Like Like x 2
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

Karen Schless Pressley Life After Scientology EP 15 Part 2 | Ron Miscavige

Quote:

"Ron Miscavige Life After Scientology" will explore Ron's time with the Church of Scientology and expose information that the Church does not want you to know.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxcXhpmN0AiEH5e7snkk8FQ/videos
    • Like Like x 1
  33. xander meehan Member

What bugs the shit out of me are the permanent trustees of the SCIENOS.. Stephen and Sherman Lensky, Leon Misterek, Reed Slatkin. and ole FUCK BRAIN Lymon Spurlock... these pieces of shit need to getund what they really need... I want to know what happened to the 3/4's of a Billion (with a B) of Us Dollars.. "$US Samoleans$"

after ole eLrons got fudge packed and was found dead of a heart attack and had four sets of "SeaOrg Semen up in his Bugger." Gang Raped and Murdered I say!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  34. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 2
  35. Kay Rowe: A New Chapter in My New Life

https://kaymrowe.wordpress.com/2018/10/06/a-new-chapter-in-my-new-life/

Today is the 1st Anniversary of the Release of my book. “Over the Edge- A Pawn in the Scientology Money Machine”

This past year has been absolutely amazing for me which I attribute in large part to writing my story. There are not enough words to describe its therapeutic value.

• Like Like x 1
  36. xander meehan Member

Incredible... This actually sounds like it may actually be a good READ!
    • Like Like x 1
  37. xander meehan Member

This is like so many people, actually all of us, we go on and on, and then one day we change our minds, and change our paths. It could be anything, not just being Scieno.
    Sounds very interesting, in its portrait of a JOE BAG O DONUTS view... lessons for all on how not to get caught up in bullshit until its to late.
    • Like Like x 2