Customize

[UK] Operation Quiche Lorraine: Deliver a petition to Number 10

Discussion in 'Projects' started by SweatyJon, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Re: [UK] Operation Quiche Lorraine: Deliver a petition to Number 10

No no, marching brass band.

And yes, make a show and tell about it! Ensure people remember you and google us when they get home!
  2. lermanet_com Member

Re: [UK] Operation Quiche Lorraine: Deliver a petition to Number 10

NOTICE: There are seven 10 downing st petitions for UK residents to sign LINK
  3. Re: [UK] Operation Quiche Lorraine: Deliver a petition to Number 10

Make sure not to sign the one "to allow the Church of Scientology the religious status it deserves".

Although it's only got 5 signatories so far.

KOA
  4. Re: [UK] Operation Quiche Lorraine: Deliver a petition to Number 10

Look who signed that one...
  5. Anony-Nony-No Member

just thought i'd record this here so things don't get lost.
    We're planning on collecting signatures for this petition in the Mini Hug-Raid on april 5th in london
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/showthread.php?t=6771
  6. An0nand0n Member

7. Re: [UK] Operation Quiche Lorraine: Deliver a petition to Number 10

I really think those e-petitions are the government saying "Yes dear, thats nice, just you pop down your name riiiight here and we'll get right on it..."

Focus on the physical petition
  8. AnonKiwi Member

I hear you guys have been signing hard. If you check the general forum there's a petition sticky you might like to post your observations on, especially regarding getting people to sign when you're masked, etc :)
  9. SweatyJon Member

I wasn't at the mini-raid so I don't know how people are reacting to the masks, all of my signatories so far are friends and work-mates.

Also I was meaning to bump this thread to arrange some way of collecting the petition forms on the 12th - anybody have any ideas short of wandering around with a sign saying "Give me your petitions!"
  10. lermanet_com Member

OK but one of those petitions is on the first page for anyone browsing petitions at #10, if nothing else they generate an excuse for comment and inquiry and a few clicks doesn't cost anyone anything. Of course a few more clicks from everyone might push them to the top of the front page instead of the middle.
  11. An0nand0n Member

They have to answer an online petition just the same as they do a physical one. They are submitted to select committees and to MPs just the same. They're as likely to take notice of one as they are of the other. Neither takes a lot of effort to sign and I don't see how they are mutually exclusive. Why not do both? There are people who can be reached online who cannot be reached IRL and vice versa. When posting about the matter in public forums or news sites links to petitions can be posted easily as copypasta, giving people a chance to do something right there and then. Surely the objective is to get as many names in as possible?
  12. SweatyJon Member

Due to poor planning and worse execution on my part I completely failed to get petition forms from anybody yesterday, all I have is the ones me and my friends collected, but that was still almost 400 signatures just between 3 of us!

I know some people have forms they wanted to give me but just hang on to them until the next protest and I'll hopefully grab them then. And until then - keep getting signatures! We had a great start yesterday, but this will take a few months before we have a sizeable amount. At one point we had a queue of members of the public waiting to sign!
  13. AnonKiwi Member

Awesome work. Wish everyone else was doing this as well but it doesn't seem to have taken off outside of the UK (and a bit in NZ).
  14. An0nand0n Member

400= Excellent!
  15. rasputin Member

I'd say the same is true of physical petitions to be honest. AFAIK they are meant to treat them equally.

I don't see the government responding in any meaningful way to a petition, electronic or physical. however, they are a useful way of demonstrating support (rather than "we think X", it becomes "we think X and this many people agree with us") and can help with publicity - both in exposing the cult and raising the profile of opposition to it.
  16. Re: [UK] Operation Quiche Lorraine: Deliver a petition to Number 10

It isn't so much how the government responds (Personally I don't think they will do anything unless we get over say, 500,000 signatures). It's more a case of it looks preeeety fucking good for us if we hand deliver a petition, in masks, to Downing Street.
  17. Persecuted Member

Hey. I have a suggestion that could really take off. Hook up with anti-VAT and tax fairness groups that must be aplenty in the UK. One anon alluded to pals jumping to sign when they hear the VAT angle. The anti-VAT and tax fairness orgs will really flood your number of signatures and bring the "just folks" into this cause, as they should.
  18. SweatyJon Member

Pre-protest bump to remind all UK people this is still going on. If you have any petition sheets that are filled in in London come find me, I'll be carrying a black clipboard thing with petition sheets. It shouldn't be too hard to break 1,000 signatures tomorrow.
  19. Re: [UK] Operation Quiche Lorraine: Deliver a petition to Number 10

Yeah, I was wondering how this was going.
  20. anonymoose Member

This made me laugh so much I didn't want anyone to miss it:

:D
    Anonymous, I think I love you. In a really creepy way.