Customize

Update: Janet Reitman's book "Inside Scientology"

Discussion in 'Media' started by LarryBren, May 30, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

Why don't you ask "most people".
  2. TinyDancer Member

Somebody please get this man on tape for an oral history project!
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Anonymous Member

People who insist Scientology is not a religion seem to be operating under the delusion that in order for something to be a religion it must be good and/or true. Name one religion that is either, let alone both.
  4. Ah, but are you operating under the delusion that because Scientology shares the same negative qualities as some/all religions, that it must be a religion?

Scientologists seem a tad unclear themselves about whether or not it is - depending on whether it suits them in their various scams.

Is crime a religion? Why ever not? Should it get tax exemption?
  5. Anonymous Member

Crime is usually tax-exempt, isn't it?
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Dunno, I never tried to claim. Have you? Careful now!
  7. Sponge Member

8. Anonymous Member

No it is not a religion, especially according to Hubbard himself!

not-a-religion.jpg

So you are completely wrong Herro as even Hubbard himself has made you out to be a liar or totally ignorant on the subject!
    • Like Like x 6
  9. Anonymous Member

10. Anonymous Member

Will people think that when they've read the book?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Herro Member

So what? Hubbard later said it's a religion, all the leaders say it's a religion. But that's not what makes it a religion. What matters is what actual scientologists do, how they see it, how they relate to it and to one another as scientologists. If scientologists approach it as their source of spiritual knowledge and a universe of spiritual beliefs, then why would it not be a religion? It doesn't even matter if all the higher ups are actually running a scam (and their behavior to me suggests that they are "true believers" for what it's worth). Whether or not a belief system is a religion is best determined contextually by how its adherents understand it and practice it.
  12. Hate to derail the "is Scientology a religion" tangent that's been happening on these forums from day 1, but I was just curious about the actual book...

So is there anything we can do to try to generate some publicity for this? In past cases of ex's writing books there was a flurry of harpoons to anyone who'd listen. This time around, though, the author has a major publishing entity to take care of all that. Are there any insights at all regarding how much exposure this is going to get (1 being a few blogs covering it, 10 being guest spots on The Daily Show and Good Morning America)? Just trying to figure out how much popcorn to buy.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Lorelei Member

It's on my Wish List! Will enjoy ordering it when it is finally available. Thanks for the reminder.
  14. 3rdMan Member

Additionally, if applying the most widely used definitions of religion and spirituality proposed by scholars Geertz (1973) and Cousins (1992), then Scientology does fit the bill.
  15. Anonymous Member

Exactomundo, Herro! Now, in legal matters, the belief of pertinent legal authorities matter, and then there's also/always these pesky financial puppies, whether its tax, charity or some other little doggie. well, see, that also gets in the way of conversations. So it's important to categorize what context one is talking about.

But in the transcendental twist of life, hoo boy, scientology takes the cake, don't it!
    How. Adherents. Practice. It. Herro, sometimes you are brilliant, simply brilliant.
  16. theLastAnon Member

Pre-order done.
  17. jensting Member

Why not both? (I'm confused...)

Actually, I tend to think it's pretending to be an ignorant liar, but that's just me trying to see the worst possible situation.

Best Regards

Jens

PS. Now that I have successfully stopped replying to that troll, my new resolution is to stop replying to people who reply to it.
  18. Horus Member

Oh I can name plenty (here in EU anyway): Jehova's Witnesses, Bahá'í Faith, Neopagans... need I continue?
  19. LarryBren Member

Good questions. I do not know the answer but I think some of what will be done to launch it will be on www.janetreitman.com this month (which is not yet ready). It will certainly include Janet's own schedule of readings and the like. How cool would it be to go to a reading like in New York or Boston or any big city and then have a raid!?!

Here is its listing on one of Houghton Mifflin's pages complete with pictures of the book cover and Janet:

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/catalog/titledetail.cfm?titleNumber=694267&searchString=Reitman

I suspect that many people do not realize how amazing this really is. Hubbard, Miscavige and, through them, organized scientology have been brutal in stopping or trying to stop the publication of almost all books about scientology not written by Hubbard.

Just for fun, here is a link to a posting I made on alt.religion.scientology back in January 2007 showing how brutal it was in getting non Hubbard books out of the organizations of scientology (and these were POSITIVE books):

http://tinyurl.com/44zrxk

Organized scientology would do anything in their power to prevent getting the truth out if it in any way was embarassing to them or exposed their fraud, abuses or just plain lies. Here's a posting I did not long ago about hiding the biography of Hubbard and ensuring it never got published. I regret that I was the one who negotiated the rights to the bio from Omar Garrison and then turned it over to Norman Starkey and the dwarf for it to be forever hidden from public view:

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?p=344125#344125

But much has happened since then.

Check out this list of books on Amazon when you search for books about "scientology":

1 Blown for Good (Marc Headley)
    2 Inside Scientology (Janet Reitman)
    3 Fundamentals of Thought
    4 What Is Scientology?
    5 Scn - Abuse at the Top (Amy Scobee)
    6 My Billion Year Contract (Nancy Many)
    7 Blown for Good [Hardcover]
    8 Hollywood, Satanism, Scientology and Suicide (Jerry Staton)
    9 Scn 0-8
    10 The Scn Handbook
    11 Scn: New Slant on Life
    12 Scientology (James R. Lewis)
    13 The Complex (John Duignan)
    14 DMSMH
    15 Fundamentals of Thought
    16 A Piece of Blue Sky (Jon Atack)
    17 Intro Scn Ethics
    18 The Road to Xenu (Margery Wakefield)
    19 Scn 8-8008
    20 Secrets of Scientology (Andy Cooper)

LOL how cool is it that over half are not by Hubbard and most are written by people trying only to get out the truth that was so long surpressed by an oppressive and hateful cult.

This is SUCH a big deal. And it cannot be overstated the impact that Anonymous has had in getting out the truth and helping others find their voices.

5 1/2 years ago when Janet was interviewing me for his book we thought the book might be out in two years, three max. I had a lot of fun in two or three of those years "predicting" this book without saying it was Janet's. The LULZ and enturbulation value alone was worth the effort.

But you know what I find even more funny on this month when Janet's book is to be released at last? The NEXT author of note is now working on her/his research for her/his book and I suspect that that book can be out in just a couple of years time (three max lol). By the time Janet's is out around the world and runs its course in what I believe will be a worldwide best selling effort, the next book will be soon to be released.

The dark days of the suppression of the truth are ending. Yes there is much more to do and yes organized scientology contnues to do its best to hide behind their lies and otherwise prevent the truth from finding the light of day. But those who seek to get the truth out are winning. Yes there are setbacks now and again re legal cases and other things but those setbacks are nothing compared to the band after band of the F5 shitstorm of truth that is hitting this cult.

The next storm involving a book is about to hit (Janet's). But while this is happening, another storm involving the next big book has begun to form in the east.

Gawd I love this!!

Anyway, just some feelings and reflections I get as this book is about to be released.
    • Like Like x 9
  20. RightOn Member

yahoo Larry!!!That is some great news!!!
  21. Anonymous Member

Yes
  22. Herro Member

You my bitch. Don't you ever forget that.
  23. Now I say Herro, I say what's wrong with you son? My pappy I say my pappy who was the biggest but gentle cock in the barn would have whopped I say whopped your slabby flabby backside for bein such a huge sphincter. My pappy knew how to deal I say handle such maroons as yourself. You are next in line for da killin for my aunt Jennie's soup I say soup stock.
    • Like Like x 8
  24. Herro Member

Are you going to make me bring out Saul Tigh?
  25. Son you mussabe mistaken I say mistaken me for a country boy fool. BRING IT.
  26. Jeff Jacobsen Member

http://www.lisamcpherson.org/scripture.htm
  27. Website seems simple but aesthetically pleasing. Nice business-card vibe. Then again it's largely blank save for an image of the book cover and an empty comments section. I'll check it out every now and then to see if something useful goes up.

Is this second book you're alluding to the one about Paul Haggis, or do you mean there's yet another one in its beginning stages?
  28. afternon Member

Win after win after win!
  29. LarryBren Member

What little there is on that website just went up in the past few hours. So it has begun.

The second book is not about Paul Haggis.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. excellent.
  31. Sponge Member

Larry, can you ask who is doing the reading on the CD Audiobook? Is it Janet herself or some generic audiobook voice person?

(although, I'd pay bookoo dollar for Tinydancer to read it to me in her sexy voice)
    • Like Like x 2
  32. theLastAnon Member

Some early reviews from the site. One name should grab your attention. Also, endgame? Don't tease us.
    Reviews:

"Inside Scientology is an engrossing, groundbreaking work that brings a welcome sense of fair-mindedness to a subject that is, for many journalists and scholars, too hot to touch. Reitman has accomplished the miracle of adding light without heat."- Lawrence Wright, author of The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11

"Inside Scientology goes beyond the celebrities and the scandals -- though they're here in all their absurdity and horror -- to find in Scientology a more profound story about "technology" as an article of faith and faith as a vessel for science, or, at least, science fiction. With precision and empathy, Janet Reitman has in this definitive investigation laid bare the genesis and possibly the endgame of America's strangest religion."-Jeff Sharlet, author of The Family and C Street
    • Like Like x 6
  33. Anonymous Member

icwutudidtheer
  34. LarryBren Member

Hey Sponge. Janet told me that she would be doing readings of her book. But I think she just meant short readings to promote the book. Wouldn't that be totally cool to attend!! I don't know if anyone else will also be doing readings nor do I know who would be reading on an Audiobook.

As for Tiny Dancer, I cannot say such things about her as she is one of my cyber daughters. However, as per another thread, I expect at least two goats if any of you guys want to meet her. And just keep in mind that I only have two rules for my cyber daughters: 1) no dating until they are 50 and 2) no sex (cyber or otherwise) until I am dead.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. jensting Member

What I meant was, stop replying to the replies. Sigh.

Best Regards

Jens
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Horus Member

Haha the classical problem of trolling! ^^

Damn... :(
  37. Ann O'Nymous Member

TL;DR some form of Truman show. Nice.
  38. TinyDancer Member

Me no like.
    • Like Like x 7
  39. LarryBren Member

Awww OK honey when you're right, you're right. I admit I was wrong here. Fine the rules are changed. It will now take THREE goats AND two donkeys if you want to meet Tiny Dancer. But NO touchie!!!!!! And yes you can date her. (PS: Pay no attention to me on that date. I'll just be in the back seat cleaning my shotgun).
    • Like Like x 7
  40. Ersatz Global Moderator

Can we please stop the derail everybody? We've been down this road many times and we all know how it turns out.
    • Like Like x 2