Customize

Update: Janet Reitman's book "Inside Scientology"

Discussion in 'Media' started by LarryBren, May 30, 2011.

1. Zhent Member

I did some poking around and found Angus & Robertson are apparently carrying the book, but it is saying its $85 (online)?? WTF!

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/bo...of-americas-most-secretive-religion/12855901/

Curiously enough it says its 'in stock' and indicating it will ship immediately. I might have to check what the situation is in walk-in stores...
  2. LarryBren Member

Yikes on the $85!!111!one!!

I think it is because they do not have it in stock and, as per that listing, each individual order is shipped from the USA. For this listing it says:

I work in the US Postal Service and one of my jobs is a window clerk. Any shipments to Australia either first class or priority would likely take one to two weeks anyway and cost at least twenty some dollars assuming it weighs under four pounds and can go first class instead of priority.

I suspect the price will go wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy down in Australia once some company is stocking it.
  3. Sponge Member

Another wierd one, yesterday I searched the major retailer Waterstones website (from the UK) and they showed three entries for the Audio CD book all with different ISBN numbers and different prices, £48.49 (!!!!), £17.49, £25.49, (delivered free in uk), but there are no entries for the print book.
    http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/simpleSearch.do?simpleSearchString=janet reitman
  4. LarryBren Member

Curiouser and curiouser.

I know there was promoted a more expensive "library" edition of some kind but I have no clue what that is.

It will be fun to see all this unveil.

Oh and BTW, they are starting to fill in info on Janet's site:
    http://www.janetreitman.com/articles/
    http://www.janetreitman.com/events/
    http://www.janetreitman.com/about/
    http://www.janetreitman.com/contact/

This is SO completely awesome.

The only thing that will now make this completely perfect is if the dwarf issues a new "Freedom expose" half about the "crimes" of Houghton Mifflin and Janet Reitman and half about how David Miscavige is so wonderful and is single handily clearing the planet.

Oh please God let them do that!!
    • Like Like x 3
  5. moarxenu Member

Here is here schedule so far. Go to it, anons!

UPCOMING EVENTS
    SPACER.png
    NEW YORK
    SPACER.png
    JULY 6th
    BookCourt, 7pm
    163 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY
    http://www.bookcourt.org
    SPACER.png
    July 11th
    The Half King, 7pm
    505 W. 23rd Street, NY
    http://www.thehalfking.com
    SPACER.png
    July 22nd
    BookHampton, 8pm
    20 Main Street, Sag Harbor, NY
    http://www.bookhampton.typepad.com
    SPACER.png
    TAMPA, FLORIDA
    SPACER.png
    July 28th
    Inkwood Books, 7pm
    216 S. Armenia, Tampa, FLA
    http://www.inkwoodbooks.com
    SPACER.png
    SAN FRANCISCO
    SPACER.png
    Sept 13th
    JCC, 7pm
    3200 California Street, San Francisco, CA
    (booksigning to follow)
    http://www.jccsf.org/
    SPACER.png
    LOS ANGELES
    SPACER.png
    Sept 15th
    Book Soup
    8818 West Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA
    http://www.booksoup.com
    • Like Like x 3
  6. LarryBren Member

On the eve of the eve of the eve of the release of this book (Amazon promises to deliver it by June 15) here is a link to an interview of Janet Reitman that has been on here before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BH3o94rRZk&feature=player_embedded#at=18

It shows just how articulate and fair this woman is on the subject of organized scientology.

And now we have the book which will take it from the article covered in the above interview. The book is going to be amazing.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Anonymous Member

The above is a really cool venue for a book reading/signing. It's a bar/restaurant owned by The Perfect Storm author / Restrepo director Sebastian Junger. I've been there a few times and highly recommend it regardless of whether Janet Reitman is having a book reading there.
  8. tikk Member

D'oh. I accidentally hit reply anonymously for my above endorsement of The Half King.
  9. Sponge Member

Ooo. Interestinnnngggggg.

Actually, as far as scientology's reputation for stealing critical books from libraries or having them constantly out on loan goes, the term "library edition" could mean that it is bound in a steel jacket, chained to the shelves with a padlock and is fitted with a GPS locator and truck horn. ;).
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Anonymous Member

Yes, that's the item and I'm sure just a coincidence that Marty's wife, Mosey, got sent one (no, I haven't asked what brand, color, or if it came from an Amazon merchant, lol) this past week, per Marty now, while he was out of town.

I'm waiting back for third response from Amazon. They won't answer my questions, getting the runaround, and so I've asked them again. I mainly want to know if this is individual accounts being hit or if it is some nasty little bug on the author's book page. I'm getting a little annoyed that they don't just answer the questions. This is a security issue. I shop lots with Amazon, so I'll see Monday. Told them I'm not buying this book from Amazon until I know what's what. Of course, I'll buy it elsewhere if I must, no problem at all.
    And frankly, if Amazon doesn't answer my technical questions I likely won't shop there again period.

Thanks for updates, Larry! So June 13 for Kindle or Kindle app, and June 15 for book shipment. Really looking forward to certain chapters, especially Miscavige takeover tactics.
  11. Anonymous Member

Oh, and yes, I went to amazon site from link here as well.
  12. LarryBren Member

LOL

OK here is a page that refers to "Hardcover Library Binding" with respect to this book:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Inside-Scientology/Janet-Reitman/e/9781452623252

I have no idea what that means but it is $44.99 vs. $17.28 for the regular "Hardcover" version.
  13. LarryBren Member

You're welcome.

And don't forget my LOL predictions from last November 2 about the book:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?20528-Janet-Reitman-book-on-organized-scientology&p=489437&viewfull=1#post489437

Looks like prediction #1 is a slam dunk. The other three are long shots but they were fun to "predict". And while the Tommy Davis prediction #4 is a long shot, hey I have not heard about him in some time so it's still possible.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Anonymous Member

Okay viewers, let's review Larry's predictions right now:

1) organized scientology will utterly fail in every possible way in getting this booked stopped;

2) some time within a month or two of the book being published organized scientology will committ a major foot bullet as they release a new "Freedom Expose" that will be approximately 1/2 on Janet Reitman's and Houghton Mifflin's "crimes" and 1/2 on how David Miscavige has expanded scientology so much through empty ideal org building, etc., etc. Accordingly, they will increase the exposure and thus the sales of the book dramatically as it becomes a world-wide best seller;

3) at least two ex execs currently in the hole at Int will be reprieved from the hole and told to "handle" the upcoming book scene "or else". They will fail and Miscavige will assign them to an "all lifetimes" sentence in the hole's hole. At least one major blow will happen because of this and his/her stories will appear on Marty's site; and

4) I predict Tommy Davis blows over this one as the pressure gets so intense to stop it. Tommy will do so poorly that Anonymous will dedicate a second "Tommy Davis Appreciation Thread" on "whyweprotest" and there will be over 10,000 views of it and over 500 posts.

I'm wondering if one of those execs in #2 above was responsible for the black dildo fail?
    Now, if there's a god there will be an IP address or Something that will lead Amazon back to that dwindling demented dwarf of dildos in Hemet, California. Or, as Part B of your #2 prediction, the dildo guy will in fact blow to Marty's and spill. I will dance in the streets.

p.s.: Blow, tommy, blow
  15. moarxenu Member

If anyone has connections with Paul Thomas Anderson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joacquin Phoenix and the rest of The Master cast, I am sure they would enjoy reading Janet's book on their Kindles while they are filming in Vallejo and Sacramento.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. whoever Member

Library editions are simply that: editions produced for libraries. They are sturdier because of the higher wear and tear library books get. I don't know if all libraries buy library editions. I expect that some of them cut corners like everyone else.
  17. Anonymous Member

Update from Amazon:

"Hello,
    I apologize if your recent experience was not up to our usual high standards. I'll make sure the appropriate people in our company see your message.
    I'm sorry for listing an inappropriate browsing history.
    I can confirm your account isn't hacked and is fine.

However, upon checking I found the item was listed in browsing history due to a technical error on our end.

However, the error is now corrected and will no longer list inappropriate browsing history.
    Also I checked on our website and found we no longer seller, Doc Johnson Realistic 9 Inch Black Dildos.
    To compensate for the inconvenience caused, I've issued a $25 promotional certificate to your account which can be used for purchasing items sold by Amazon.com."
    • Like Like x 3
  18. moarxenu Member

$25 promotional ticket is cool.
  19. Anonymous Member

Interesting that a "technical error" could cause: Doc Johnson Realistic 9 Inch Black Dildos in someones viewing history.................but the $25 can be used towards buying extra copies of the book.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Anonymous Member

Yeah, very interesting. and remember they don't even still sell this item.
    Oh, when I viewed Amazon's page today, I saw July 5 still listed as release date, plus Kindle version date changed to July 5. Oh well, and yes the extra $ going for buying more books.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Looks like they had some dodgy javascript there. Something like -

If (Referer = WWP)
    {History.Black.Dildos.Add
    }
    else if (mosey = true)
    {Black.Dildos.Basket.Add
    }

Most peculiar.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  23. Anonymous Member

And slappy throws another fit! WIN!
    • Like Like x 3
  24. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  25. LarryBren Member

How weird is that!

I just went onto my Amazon account and it says I should expect the book on June 15 which is only in two days (and I ordered using 2 day shipping).

Plus I just went onto my online bank account and can see that Amazon just today debited me for the book which they are not supposed to do until they ship.

Guess we'll see shortly.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

​From the review:
    "Reitman's telling of the story of Stefan and Tanja Castle is worth the price of the entire book. The young couple worked at Int, where marriages can be very difficult to maintain under Scientology's stringent and bizarre rules that limit free time or freedom of movement. Tanja had found herself working personally with Miscavige, who likes to surround himself with attractive female underlings. Over time, Stefan resented how little he got to see his wife, but he knew that to air his feelings would be dangerous. Eventually, he did say something to Miscavige's (now vanished) wife Shelly about how little he got to see Tanja. He soon found himself in Los Angeles sentenced to the RPF, Scientology's infamous quasi-prison corps, where he would spend two years doing menial labor. Tanja, meanwhile, was pressured to divorce her husband."
    • Like Like x 3
  27. Anonymous Member

It would have to be a deliberate hack by one of their employees if it was "a technical error on our end." that only happened to Amazon customers who go to Janet Reitman's book after being on wwp.
  28. Anonymous Member

Larry, went back and clicked on "other formats" and there was one Kindle/Pc listed as available today!

So I'm reading it right now....I'm starting in the section about DM and how he manipulated his power.
    I am so impressed she put all this together. I'm only now beginning to understand the whole. Plus a few juicy parts here and there.... back to reading

“DM idolized L. Ron Hubbard, the only boss he'd ever known; but unlike many seasoned Sea Org members who knew the Founder's propensity for changing his mind, Miscavige also took everything that Hubbard said literally. And what Hubbard was saying from his secret location was, by his second year in hiding, increasingly extreme. The Founder had returned to his original love, writing fiction, in seclusion, and was at work on the book that would become his opus: Battlefield Earth.* But he was also convinced that Suppressives had infiltrated the movement, particularly the Guardian's Office, and in missives signed only with an asterisk (in an effort to distance himself from Scientology management, Hubbard had adopted the asterisk as his "signature" on church documents) issued directives for his aides to spit on other staff members, strike those who seemed to oppose his wishes, or even send people to jail. While it would have been an act of sacrilege to disobey L. Ron Hubbard, "some of us would still not do the most awful things Hubbard talked about as they violated our sense of right and wrong just too much," said Brennan. "DM, on the other hand, would blindly, and violently, follow such orders."
    Janet Reitman, Inside Scientology 2011
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Anonymous Member

nao demand ur free vibrator + batteries and report to the dome.
  30. slobeck Member

o herro, my love. Your skills are falling off ...step it up, brother.
  31. slobeck Member

LOL. A "priestmunty at the local chabbernacle"
  32. Anonymous Member

A Larry quote!
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Puppetmama Member

Downloading now!
  34. Sponge Member

I found out why 3 prices & isbn numbers for what Waterstones, with it's lack of details, shows as the same product.
    It's this....
    1) Library edition. Audio CD.
    2) Retail. mp3 format Audio CD
    3) Retail. Standard Audio format CD.

The cheapest being the MP3 version since it uses less disks than standard CD Audio.

All the audio versions are not on the UK Amazon page. This is from the US Amazon page....

Oh, and for the lulz, some of the tags showing on the UK amazon page....
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Anonymous Member

Oh, there's much more. Just finished the whole IRS scene. There is so much even I did not know, or at least, didn't have the concept of after all this time.

OSA actually in charge of not just PR but all the front groups, and this explains so much:
    "
    But whereas the Guardian's Office had been an impregnable entity so covert as to not even appear by name on the church's organizational chart, OSA was listed in Scientology's incorporation papers. "Where OSA differs from the Guardian's Office," explained one former Scientologist who was an operative for both intelligence bureaus, "is that OSA wants to seem above board and approachable. That makes Scientology seem more approachable, which, they hope, will help the church operate as a religion freely, without harassment." In service to this goal, OSA made more of an effort to create a legal wall between the church and any covert activities, relying much more on private investigators, and paying a legion of outside attorneys.*"

And, it took something like 7 years for sci accounting team to get finances for the various orgs and groups put together. I never knew that so much of the finance records were few, some just never recorded At All. This was part of the efforts needed for the IRS deal. Oh, and Marty Rathbun still claims no underhanded tactics like in Operation Snow White. This at the same time Janet is detailed the thousands of lawsuits and the individual IRS agents' personal lives being under surveillance, and the usual. Well, that right there should shed the correct credibility light on Marty.

I must say, I thought I'd be bored, heard it all. Cant put it down. There's juicy tidbits plenty. Not going to spoil it.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Anonymous Member

I think this will be the definitive go-to book on Scientology. All of the latests efforts to slither into the cracks of power and authority whether political, social, educational, or any group will be ferreted out and withered away into oblivion. The Scientology front groups, and the manipulative tactics of Scientology's intelligence/spy arm, OSA, and their true intent, is exposed in Janet Reitman's "Inside Scientology".

I understand now what Tony Ortega, Village Voice, felt about it would be a crime if multiple movies didn't come out of this book.

So Kindle edition is out today. And possibly hardover out this week, about the same time Jan Eastgate (meyers) will appear in Australian courts, and then there's ... well, there's more this week. Hoo boy.
    Not sure if there's enough scotch in the world to calm a certain dictator/bully short person down this time.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Anonymous Member

Just received notice that mine has shipped:

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC) :

1 Inside Scientology: The St... $17.28 1 $17.28

Shipped via UPS
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Anonymous Member

Can someone who already has the book please give the page numbers that Stefan Castle and Tanja Castle are mentioned/quoted so we can cite that when adding them to the big list?
    • Like Like x 2
  39. ChefXenu Member

Hugh is a very talented academic and writer. When I was in college I took several of his classes, both undergrad and graduate level, and I've read several of his books, as well as a few of his previous papers on CoS. I personally can't wait to get and read my copy of this one!

also: my copy of Janet Reitman's book shipped last night. yay!
    • Like Like x 3
  40. Triumph Member

David Miscavige, Scientology's Leader, Wants You to Salute His Beagles
    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/06/david_miscavige.php

Tony drops a tiny tidbit from the book ...about the emasculated midget
    SnoopySalutes.jpg

its not exactly a new revelation ...
    still its lutzy ...look into the wacky world of a cult leader
    • Like Like x 3