Customize

Update: Janet Reitman's book "Inside Scientology"

Discussion in 'Media' started by LarryBren, May 30, 2011.

1. RightOn Member

lol!
    Miscavige is not going to like that one!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Sponge Member

Yes it was brought to the broad public's attention after Marty Rathbun's and Amy Scobee's account on ABC Nightline in October 2009.
    I think we even have a dog saluting loopyshoop thread somewhere on here.

Glad that little nugget of psychopathic Miscavige nutjobbery made it to Reitman's book.
  3. Puppetmama Member

I've now read the first third and the last third (I couldn't handle Lisa McPherson at one in the morning) and while there is very little in it that is new I think the calm, carefully documented nature of the narrative is going to make it particularly hard for Scientologists to counter. Reitman is much more generous than I would wish her to be (I want them to go out with a bang) but, in the end, I think her subtle style will prove more subversive.
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Anonymous Member

Just downloaded the Kindle edition. Should be interesting.
  5. moarxenu Member

^^^^brb amazon kindle
  6. Anonymous Member

Just as fascinating is Notes section and Acknowledgements section. Very interesting. And Ms Reitman made mention of the fact that those she intereviewed had not had books out yet, or court cases or announced/identified themselves. This all came later. But evidently there's one big Anonymous helper she had. OSA's probably had a full blown Mission program dedicated to just finding out who this is. It hardly matters at this point, considering the long list of resources.
    Also, the Epilogue was intriguing. About my only criticism is that she used marty's blog as a resource. She states that for reasons known only to Marteee he declined being interviewed. ha

“Because of the Church of Scientology's history of harassing and discrediting its critics and defectors, the vast majority of people who leave the church do so quietly. This book began as a magazine assignment for Rolling Stone and could not have been completed without the help of a former Scientologist whom I have promised not to name but who has served as my Virgil since the earliest days of my reporting, painstakingly explaining not only Scientology's language, beliefs, practices, and moral codes, but also the mechanisms of control by which the church suppresses or discredits the words of its former members.

I felt it was imperative to this book's credibility that it be based largely on the accounts of "quiet defectors" such as my Virgil: people who had neither sued the church nor spoken publicly about their involvement with Scientology in any way. Finding the right individuals took months. Gaining their trust took just as long. And getting them to agree to go on the record was, in many cases, an almost Herculean task.”

“Every bit of information in this book has been checked and cross-checked with multiple sources, and where I have found discrepancies, I have erred on the side of caution and toned down certain accounts whose veracity I do not feel I can comfortably prove. While this book relies almost wholly on named sources, there were a few people who, fearing retribution against themselves and their family members still in Scientology, requested I give them pseudonyms or total anonymity. Those few cases are clearly identified.”

Janet Reitman, Inside Scientology, 2011, "Notes".
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Herro Member

The more I hear about David Miscavige, the more I like him.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Anonymous Member

+1
  9. Puppetmama Member

He is certainly doing more to bring down the cult than any other individual.
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 7
  11. Anonymous Member

Does this have an official title? This is a 50 sec ad for Janet Reitman's "Inside Scientology"
    I like it. Needs more views.
  12. Sponge Member

lol, poetic. "CoSproductions"

Noice!
  13. Anonymous Member

heehee Missed that, very noice
  14. Anonymous Member

http://youtu.be/Nf_WEwhln_c

This doesn't come up on YouTube searching for Janet Reitman, or Inside Scientology Needs more or better tags maybe?

Hope Janet Reitman embeds this front page of her website, and also at the top of all of her book pages at the various retail online outlets.
  15. Anonymous Member

Military-dog-platf_1406364i.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

cool pic
  17. DeathHamster Member

Heh. Virgil is Dante's guide through the circles of Hell.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy
    • Like Like x 4
  18. LarryBren Member

Thanks.

I have relayed this info on to Janet.

Oh and BTW check out the first customer review on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Scient...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

And one more thing about Amazon, it turns out that the NY Times Best Seller list does in fact include sales on Amazon (I was wrong about that earlier in this thread).
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Anonymous Member

Longest of long shots, but could this be useful?

Daily Show Forums: Guest Suggestions

I mean I'm sure her publicist and agent (whose email addresses can be found on her contact page) are more capable of getting that done, but it may be worth a shot if anyone feels like making some sock-puppet accounts over there.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Zhent Member

I was also thinking something like this. Would be great to try and get Janet on various talk shows promoting her book. Its a really good opportunity to get info about the book (and really, scientology = cult) out there to the general public.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Sponge Member

Well, including all the stuff that would make the audience gasp, it sounds like there's plenty of nuggets in the book that would be right up John Stewart's street in terms of public mockery.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Anonymous Member

Maybe Stephen Colbert could talk to her while dressed in his Xenu robe?
    • Like Like x 5
  23. moarxenu Member

This is a great idea. The more people suggest Janet the more likely they are to schedule her.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. AnonLover Member

Same here - except Ellen Degeneres came to mind. Her studio is near the Headleys, and BFG once posted about giving her staff his book.

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/

^^Under "Be on the Show" I pooned w/ the "write ellen an email" link. But was thinking it might be alot more powerful harpoon for local Exes to use the "Tell Us Your Story" link and somehow relate it to Janet's book.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. BigBeard Member

Wonder if the $cilons will try to swarm the LA and Tampa book signings to keep anyone else from getting in??

Be great publicity for the book if they try it!

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Anonymous Member

Well everyone seemed to like the Daily Show idea, just not enough to actually do it. So here, it's been suggested.

It would look a bit suspicious to have a bunch of accounts register suddenly, only to agree with my post, but clicking the link could at least boost the "views" count and maybe inspire other users to comment.

I also sent an email to NPR suggesting they cover the topic. Worth a shot, right?
    • Like Like x 3
  27. LarryBren Member

June 15, 2011: It is out!!

IMG_2085.jpg

frontwmask.jpg
    • Like Like x 8
  28. moarxenu Member

Just got my copy in the mail. I have skimmed some of it so far. Chapter on Lisa McPherson is based mostly on thousands of pages of police reports supplied to Janet on CD. Book includes events up until mid-2010 or so including Farrakan and NOI affair.

The notes at the end are a real gem for researchers. Her citation and evaluation of sources are extremely useful.
    • Like Like x 5
  29. Anonymous Member

Awesome post! Bravo!
  30. Anonymous Member

Nice! Bumping this:
  31. LarryBren Member

From the index in the book:

Tanja Castle:
    disconnection letter, 336
    divorce, 328, 331-332, 342
    escape from Int, 345-346
    punishment, 335-336
    relationship with the dwarf Miscavige, 334-335
    rewards and job promotions, 327

Stefan Castle:
    defection, 335
    as ex-scientologist, 344
    marriage to Tanja, 327-328, 331-332, 342-346
    at PAC base, 332, 324
    punishment of, 328-332, 331n
    relationship with the Tiny Tot Miscavige, 328-329
    at Sea Org, 327-328
    Truth Rundown, 329-330, 330n
    work responsibilities, 328
    • Like Like x 2
  32. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  33. tippytoe Member

I think Stephen Colbert, our fearless leader, might be a better fit, but either would be awesome!

http://forums.colbertnation.com/?page=ForumView&forum_id=63

CK957.gif
  34. Anonymous Member

His show would be more likely to cover the topic, but I was never a big advocate of his interviews. They're entertaining but they lack substance since he just cuts off the guest to inject jokes at every opportunity he gets.

But really I went for the Daily Show because I'd made an account on their forums a year or so ago, and I don't have one at Colbert. Make one yourself and suggest it there! It only takes a minute or two.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Anonymous Member

It's a comedy show.
  36. tippytoe Member

I have posted a suggestion in Colbert's show suggestion forum for Janet Reitman to come on and talk about her book. We'll see what if anything comes of it.
  37. Anonymous Member

Colbert never reads his forums. Nor do his writers.
  38. Puppetmama Member

Finished the book. I think my earlier estimation that Reitman was generous to the cult was a bit off. My fault for reading the book outside in. While she is compassionate in her portrayal of Hubbard and a young KoolAid drinker at the end, the Lisa and DM sections pack a powerful punch. I have read most of the other books out there and a huge amount of what is available on the internet and I would have thought that I was fairly well innoculated against an emotional reaction. Not so. I find myself both nauseous and frightened. While I think Anon has done a great job in keeping "bodies out of the shop" the revelations about the power of franchise profits made me worry that they could sustain with few adherents until people lost interest in their scandals, then re-emerge later with all their totalitarian ideas still intact.

While I have never been too interested or fussed about the R and R side show I now agree with those who feel that there would have to be some serious atonement for crimes committed before I would come close to trusting those freaks.

tl;dr Great book! Try to get as many people to read it as possible.
    • Like Like x 5
  39. Anonymous Member

They take note if something is popular enough. One of the most recent guests on The Daily Show was on there because there was a huge thread about him on the forums. I think it was raided by a facebook group for the dude, but hey it worked.
  40. Anonymous Member

Actually, he does that specifically when he knows a good deal about the subject at hand. In a reddit IAmA he did not too long ago, he talked about that. He said that there are times he's frustrated by not being able to do a real interview, but since his character is willfully ignorant, he's often more dense with guests whose subject he knows a good deal about. I'd guess he does that for the purpose of leading them to give the answer he wants to get, while still remaining in character. I think he'd do well on this one. But John Stewart would also be great.
    • Like Like x 2