Customize

URLs for cards, money, stickers, and more

Discussion in 'Projects' started by TakeAnonMe, Feb 22, 2008.

1. TakeAnonMe Member

URLs for cards, money, stickers, and more

Thanks to youfoundthecard.com, we've got a great viral marketing system going. Here are the URLs we've accumulated so far:

youfoundthecard.com
    youfoundthecard.org

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2532
    The original, this URL is designed to be printed/stamped/written on business cards which are then hidden anywhere you want. Youfoundthecard is a fantastic site for surreptitiously giving people information. (please note youfoundthecard.net is being squatted and is NOT ours)

gefunden.cjb.net
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4550
    This is a German version of youfoundthecard.

youfoundthecash.com
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3275
    This redirects to youfoundthecard, and is obviously made for stamping/writing on money. Don't know if "cash" is slang in the UK, though... *edit* (yes, it is)

leavescientology.blogspot.com
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4494
    This is made specifically to target Scientologists, providing them help to leave the organization. Bring some cards with this URL to your protests, or put them in SciBooks.

youfoundthesticker.com
    thehiddensticker.com
    hiddensticker.com

These URLs are for stickers; have fun hiding the "hidden" ones in secret (but discoverable) spots. Again, youfoundthecard redirect.

unfairgame.net

This redirects to youfoundthecard, and is the most universal of our URLs. Write/stamp this on newspapers in coffee shops, in guest books, pretty much anywhere.

yougotthemessage.org redirects to youfoundthecard.com - using it in messages broadcasted via bluetooth.

Announcement for a few days to help spread the word!
  2. Re: URLs for cards, money, stickers, and more

I'd love to participate, but I'm not sure how to start printing out cards/stickers. Could you post a quick howto for those of us who are sitting at home with a home printer and a wish to help?
  3. MaskedPenis Member

Re: URLs for cards, money, stickers, and more

@takeanon: Written down for a good measure.

@god: Lulz, I like the name.

I'll just go with a really easy way... It might not be the cheapest...

You can drop by Staples or so and buy some sticker paper (about $12 for 15 sheets, 8.5x11") and cardstock (price?) paper. Put them in your printer carefully (make sure you don't scratch them) and if your printer can, set the options for the exact paper you're using (sticker, photo, cardstock, A4, legal, etc) and print on them. Because they're not regular paper, printer ink may take longer to dry, so leave it for some time, then cut them out. To peel the backing, just fold a little corner of the sticker and you should be able to pull the backing off.

You should be able to get about 12 stickers or business cards on each page (providing each is about 2x4"), so that's like.. 180 stickers and/or business cards. Aprox. $.06 each if you don't count printer ink.
  4. thequeue Member

It might be a nice touch to change references to "card" to whatever domain they came from... Who is the webmaster/admin for youfoundthecard.com? If you contact me I can help with instructions on implementing this (of course ignore this entirely if you're aware of how and/or don't care).
  5. Re: URLs for cards, money, stickers, and more

Avery.com creates mailing labels that you can just feed through any printer. Staples makes the generic, more economic version of Avery labels.

Go to youfoundthecard.com and download some of the templates available. Print. Cut. Disseminate. :mrgreen:
  6. tamphex Member

I believe that would be our very own mistegirl!
  7. Re: URLs for cards, money, stickers, and more

you found the coke?

(meaning the beverage of course...)
  8. anmoyunos Member

You can't bloody well stamp powder.
  9. Lrononymous Member

Just bought a ream of cardstock inkjet paper (goldenrod lol) for 9 dollars from office depot. Gonna print out multiple cards on each sheet and then cut them for distribution in accordance with marcabian policy.

Good good work on the sites!
  10. Re: URLs for cards, money, stickers, and more

yeah but you can stamp the bag it comes in...

http://www.youfoundthedimebag.com, j/k

Anonymous said drugs are for German Psychiatrists! ;-)
  11. mistegirl Member

Talked to queue and for the moment I'm going to just make it generic like you found the card, sticker or money.

AND I need to add images for stickers to the site with the cards - so as you make them please email them to admin@youfoundthecard.com so I can make sure to include them.
  12. AnneOminous Member

just a side note, marking or writing on money is a felony iirc. It falls under the \"defacing federal property\" law, or some such. I\'ve never heard of it being enforced, though. Still, writing/stamping on money, (at least in the US) is illegal.

EDIT: disregard that, I can has memory issues.
  13. incognita Member

No, it's not.

http://www.wherehaveibeen.com/index.php ... n=legality

Edit: How do people spread so much misinformation when they're on the Internet and the truth is a Google search away? :p

By the way, http://www.gotprint.net has a great deal on business cards (I looked it up last night, something like $10 for 500), and a snazzy Flash app for designing your business card to boot. Might be more professional looking than printing it on a home printer.
  14. anon734 Member

Great work!

P.S. Cash is slang in the UK.
  15. Re: URLs for cards, money, stickers, and more

gotprint.net looks like the easiest way to do this.

I prefer the minimalistic look; I'm doing a one-sided, black text "youfoundthecard.com" in 100pt Arial, right in the middle. Let people's curiosity do the rest.

:wink:

Edit: Bought 500 for about a nickel a piece after shipping and rush.
  16. saerat Member

related to this, I am just about to buy http://www.expectus.info... anyone know how to keep my details private on an xwhois search? (N0000000000b)
  17. Anon23517 Member

My own 2cents: buy it through godaddy.com, they have an option when you buy to private your whois info.
  18. TakeAnonMe Member

Off topic, so being resolved over PM. :)
  19. mistegirl Member

Cross posting this in a few threads, so sorry if you see it more than once.

The #1 comment or suggestion I've gotten on YFTC is that the colors are too harsh and conspiracy theory like. Sat down today and changed the colors around to something a bit softer and a lot less tin foil hat. Personally I liked the black and orange, but with so many people suggesting otherwise I now present you with the new color scheme for http://youfoundthecard.com
  20. anon^3 Member

I really appreciate all you've done by starting the site, but that grey-blue theme is too dull and makes the site look really amateur. Orange-black theme, while not the best, was definately better. Also, the "If you are about to close this page" large text link to the time magazine article was great, since it catchs people who might otherwise do just that and sends them to a credible source.

Can I suggest using a color theme picker like this one for the next site revision?
    http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorsc ... ex-en.html
  21. anmoyunos Member

mistegirl, I've been dropping the url for your site like it's hot, but I agree with anon^3. I wasn't a fan of the halloween colours, but it was much more comfortable than the grey/blue now. You should definitely put the "if you are about to close this page" schpiel back in.

Thanks so much for your work on this!
  22. Morriganon Member

Agreed on 'If you were about to close this page'.
    One small & pedantic thing - it may look more professional if you stuck to sans-serif font for headings too?

23. anon^3 Member

24. MaskedPenis Member

...I'd recommend the colors black, orange, and WHITE as a background--less clashing, easier on the eyes, easier to print, etc. The orange that was chosen before is a very active, attractive color.

Blue and grey looks a little bit... well, juvenile, let's say.

Most popular colors for websites I've seen, I must admit, are red, black, and white. Needless to say, you shouldn't try going with that unless you have a very unique design that utilizes each, but in being an informative site, there should be less of a design aspect as to not detract from the actual text.
  25. mistegirl Member

Well with the universal hate for the changes, it's back to the good old black and orange and I think it's staying there.

It's harsh and maybe a little conspiracy theory - BUT that fits the subject. I could make it all pink with little hearts and the actual information wouldn't be any less severe. I tried a white background and it was pretty hard on the eyes and personally I think the black looks better and more professional anyway.

So it's back - thanks for all the input everyone. If it's not really broke I shouldn't have been fooling around trying to fix it.
  26. Re: URLs for cards, money, stickers, and more

Whatever you do, keep the "IF YOU ARE ABOUT TO..." bit. It's immediately arresting, and it's precisely what needs to be there to make the site effective.

I like anon^3's mockup, too.
  27. Permanence Member

yougotthemessage.org redirects to youfoundthecard.com - using it in messages broadcasted via bluetooth.
  28. mistegirl Member

Added to first post

Anon^3 I like that look a lot - I'll probably make a poll thread before changing again, but may very well end up using that. Thanks much!
  29. WNYanon Member

heres my design, it 100 of them for a total of $16 at gotprint.net. I liked that you could design your own cards through there site.

card.jpg

feel free to take my design if you want!
  30. anon^3 Member

No problem - I'm glad to help, thanks for the positive feedback! I agree that holding a poll before any major changes is a good idea too.
  31. WNYanon Member

I got my cards in the other day, they look great! I'm planning on going out tomorrow and hiding a good majority of the cards, hopefully the weather isnt too bad..