Customize

US Army catches Scientology ‘detox’ study FOIA request reveals

Discussion in 'US Army FOIA Scientology' started by KittyKatSpanker, Sep 11, 2015.

1. NIH Frreedom of Information Office
    Information for Requesters Who Ask for a Grant Application

http://www.nih.gov/icd/od/foia/grants.htm

Describes all the information removed from a funded grant. But says nothing about requesting denied applications. But this sounds promising.

2. anonsoldier Member

I love everyone in this thread so very much. AnonLover in particular for diving headfirst down the rabbit hole that is Army bureaucracy and paperwork. I can only check in every other day or so but will try to stay abreast of this.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. AnonLover Member

Winrar!

Why yes! Yes I can file on Carpenter's rejected grant applications!! Hot diggity... brb. MUCKROCK. Rawwwrrr!

troll-face-look-at-me-i-dont-care-trollface.gif
    • Like Like x 5
  4. AnonLover Member

Booyah!

NIH Grant Applications for Hubbard Detoxification Program (Scientology Purification)
    https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united...ation-program-scientology-purification-21313/

Sometimes, even a puff piece is useful. So I would like to thank the philly inquirer for keeping Art Carey's articles online after all these years. And I'd like to send Dr. Carpenter the following message on behalf of our big pharma sponsors:

Vets need their meds Dr. Carpenter. Encouraging your participants to wean themselves off their meds with no doctor supervision pissed me off. So I'm gonna wean you off your gubmint funding and see how you like being kicked to the curb.
    • Like Like x 7
  5. anonsoldier Member

Okay, a search turned up Ms. Lydia Cochran, Executive Administrative Assistant, for that phone number.
    lydia.h.cochran.civ@mail.mil

This phone number belongs to Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) Jay Bucci. He IS the Director for CIRO, not an administrative person.
    jay.r.bucci.mil@mail.mil
    I get two people for this number. The one that seems most likely is Mr. George Dodge, who is listed as a Program Coordinator.
    george.l.dodge.civ@mail.mil

Hope this is helpful in putting some names to numbers and opening up potential lines of communication.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. fishypants Moderator

Great job, AL!

goodjob.jpg
  7. BigBeard Member

Short break to comment on the above:

That sounds like something that should be under a criminal investigator's microscope, not just the funding people's.

Break over, back to charting the 990 money flows.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BigBeard Member

Addendum: If not a criminal investigator, a Medical Ethics Review Board at the least.

BigBeard
  9. Ersatz Global Moderator

Stop, you're making me all tingly in my pants.
  10. Incredulicide Member

That index does not yet include this:
    Comment on the Narconon Purification as used for 9-11 Rescue Workers Edmund A.C. Crouch and Laura C. Green, Chemosphere, May 23 2007, doi:10.1016/j.chemosphere.2007.05.098
    • Like Like x 3

11. 96.Tsyb AS, Parshkov EM, Barnes J, Yarzutkin VV, Vorontsov NV, Dedov VI.
    Rehabilitation of a Chernobyl Affected Population Using a Detoxification Method. Paper
    presented at: US EPA International Radiological Post-Emergency Response Issues
    Conference 1998.

Page 6.
  12. DeathHamster Member

^^ Names that I have something on.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. AnonLover Member

I am not a lawfag, so that seems like a stretch and beyond reach as far as targets go.

First things first: Get confirmation Carpenter is pursuing additional funding for a phase 2 of his study. Then block that shit from happening.

Plan B - if Carpenter doesn't apply this year, makes no difference to me. I just drop the open letter and still get a thorough debunking of his proposal out there in the public domain to discredit him. And have that on standby for use in any later funding cycles if ever dares to try to get another DoD grant. Then we keep tabs on the invitation to submit GWIRP proposals every year for next several years until we see evidence Carpenter has moved on to some other woo testing project.

EDIT: Plan B++ - if the open letter becomes unnecessary, I will still harpoon the army overseers in a proactive manner. But privately, and with the respect the GWI program deserves because it has produced some amazing findings, the FOIA dox show the powers that be did due diligence and made Carpenter toe the line, and other positives that are too many to list here. This alternative harpoon would be along the lines of suggesting check-and-balance improvements to the funding management cycle to ensure something like this never happens again.

And if by chance I ever get bored and have nothing better to do, or if Carpenter whines to the press that ohhhh booo hooo he didn't get treatly fairly because < gasp > Scientology!!! < /gasp >, well then I might just look into filing a complaint against medical licenses on anyone who worked at the Scientology detox clinic in Serverna and give them all a massive headache loaded with pain and suffering that will be well worth whining about.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. AnonLover Member

AHHHhhhhh Haaaaaaa! EXCELLENT FIND! That is debunking something cited in the proposal, reference #95.

We'll have to double check the other, similar publication citations, and see if a letter to editor crying fowl showed up in later journal issues. Because where there is smoke, there is fire!

Thanks! Will upload an optimized/smaller version of the cites pdf once a few more of the shill references I missed get whacked.

Meanwhile, there is a possible pattern emerging in the highlights. I'm seeing a couple of names of potential new cult shills we might not have on our radar. Peeps who collaborate with longtime, high-profile shills (Kerr, Root, Shields, etc.) on one paper/presentation. Then go off and publish something elsewhere without the taint of the well known cultie shill attached to it.

I will look at this closer and do some further checking when I get a chance.

But for now, I'm shifting gears bak to working the batch of FOIA dox as a collection and identifying loose ends that need another FOIA filed on in the coming weeks.

I don't want to overwhelm the USAMRMC FOIA office with a shower of requests submitted all at once, since they tend to be a tad grumpy but still cough up excellent infos that are worth waiting for. But I have the ability to draft requests on MuckRock and sit on them on until the last one I filed gets ripe enough to be floating thru the review/approval stages of disclosure. I like to roll like that, with my FOIA ammo prepped and staged for launching in advance. That will also keep me from getting derailed once I dive into documenting all the flaws and errors in proposal/protocol documents.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. AnonLover Member

Hold that thought, you glorious bastard whom I have undying lurve for!

Wait until the Whack A Shill game is complete. Then gimme everything you have on whoever we highlight.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DeathHamster Member

It's worth considering what CoS's victory conditions are for this project, and possible strategy tree.
    • Minor: The $2000/$5000 per participant in the study or the "SaunaPure Program". (They probably play loose with who is doing what.)
    • Minor: A big chunk of the grant money through above.
    • Medium: A no-comment result from the government, which they will fill in with their own "75% of the participants felt better afterwards" fluff.
    • Major: Non-unfavorable comments from government that they can use out of context to claim that it was proven to work by the US government.
    • Major: Another round of funding.
    No doubt the religious persecution card will be played often. I assume Carpenter will continue plead ignorance of the Scientology connections.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. DeathHamster Member

Meanwhile I'll continue looking for more stuff on those people, filling out their corporate positions and linking stuff.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. AnonLover Member

DH, this particular fact is in dispute, imo. Although early media reports claimed the clinic was getting paid $2k per participant, the FOIA dox clarifies that it was the participants who were getting paid $2k for doing the program. And so far, we have no primary source evidence that I spotted in quickie review of the dox to support the secondary source claim that the clinic was getting any slice of the grant money for running the study.

Granted, it seems unreasonable to assume that NO money whatsoever went to the scilons running the scilon clinic that had to pay scilon franchising fees to use the scilon program. Especially since said scilons all had to be in good standing with the mother church, making their own frequent donations to countless things, in order to be eligible for franchising the purif in a secular fashion. Afterall, Scientology's "Doctrine of Exchange" makes offering any piece of scientology technology for free a high crime and unforgivable mortal sin that's akin to requiring a Christian to bow down and kiss the feet of a Satanic priestess while promising to sacrifice the life of their first born just to walk through the door of a doctor's office for a flu shot. But I digress.

However, the Mike Rinder DoD related fund raising email leak posted by both you and I upstream ITT could be interpreted as a revenue stream to get other scilons to foot the clinic bills, pay salaries, licensing fees, etc. all for the greater good of their church.

IOW, even if the clinic didn't get paid grant monies directly, we got evidence suggesting there was money coming their way thru cult channels.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DeathHamster Member

Barnes, James G. wrote the foreword for Clear Body, Clear Mind, so he's in pretty thick.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. DeathHamster Member

For the New York Rescue Workers Detoxification Project, they raised a lot of contributions, but still charged $5000 from that for each participant. It was the same deal with Utah Meth Cops.

It's their standard way of draining money out of these projects, but it awaits a source.
    • Like Like x 2
  21. AnonLover Member

Agreed. And it is on my list of fact checking tidbits to find on my second pass thru the FOIA dox where I scrutinize things beyond just cursing Carpenter and his fellow project culties for what they inflicted on unsuspecting vets.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. AnonLover Member

Publication details on which version for proper citation please?
  23. AnonLover Member

From the closing paragraph of that article we are given proof that Dahlgren, J is a shill to be added to our list of cult-tainted names. And the wayback machine has conveniently preserved that evidence for contemporary cites:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060831031542/http://bwellclinic.com/news2.html
    • Like Like x 3
  24. DeathHamster Member

25. AnonLover Member

• Like Like x 1
  26. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  27. Anonymous Member

I've checked all of these names with the Carpenter document and you've identified all of the hits except for a possible one other:

Names - Barnes J.png

The "Barnes J," showed up with a search on 'Barnes.'
    • Like Like x 3
  28. I also checked all names listed so far. Based on other posts and usage, these refs seem suspicious.

33. Brown OR, Heitkamp M, Song CS. NIACIN REDUCES PARAQUAT TOXICITY IN
    RATS. Science. 1981;212(4502):1510-1512.

45. Messamore E. Relationship between the niacin skin flush response and essential fatty
    acids in schizophrenia. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2003 Dec
    2003;69(6):413-419.

84. Moser GA, McLachlan MS. A non-absorbable dietary fat substitute enhances elimination
    of persistent lipophilic contaminants in humans. Chemosphere. Oct 1999;39(9):1513-1521.

93. Schnare DW, Robinson PC. Reduction of the human body burdens of hexachlorobenzene
    and polychlorinated biphenyls. IARC Sci Publ. 1986(77):597-603.

125.Berge KG, Canner PL. CORONARY DRUG PROJECT - EXPERIENCE WITH
    NIACIN. Sep 21-22 1989:S49-S51.

129.McKenney J. New perspectives on the use of niacin in the treatment of lipid disorders.
    Arch Intern Med. 2004 Apr 12 2004;164(7):697-705

131.McCarty MF. Co-administration of equimolar doses of betaine may alleviate the
    hepatotoxic risk associated with niacin therapy. Medical Hypotheses. 2000
    2000;55(3):189-194.

Do any of those names have cult cooties?

Now moving on to checking for names from these lists for hamster's wiki:

http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/mediawik...ew_York_Rescue_Workers_Detoxification_Project

http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Utah_Meth_Cops_Project
  29. Quentinanon Member

Niacin is used by physician's prescription to lower bad cholesterol levels. Very sound research behind that use in regulating lipid metabolism. Hubbard used it to "run out" radiation. Complete nonsense based on his own delusions.
    • Like Like x 1

30. wolfbane Member

• Like Like x 3
  31. Anonymous Member

Attached - a non-machine readable but interesting letter from the Center For Inquiry, Wash. DC, to Ashton Carter, Secretary Of Defense, August 18th, 2015:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  32. wolfbane Member

There is an abundance of cult shill names from FASE and IADS in this archive that were not listed in the our checklist. Along with everything AL has highlighted in Carpenter's references, copies can be found here. But most links need navigated to via wayback timeline.

So far, only one of the extra cult shill names found above pops up in Carpenter's cites for additional highlighting: David W. Schnare; former Senior Science Advisor for FASE according to this link and many others http://myurlisname.blogspot.com/2007/07/some-magic-boxes-3-bioresonance-therapy.html

That makes this cite whacked:

93. Schnare DW, Robinson PC. Reduction of the human body burdens of hexachlorobenzene
    and polychlorinated biphenyls. IARC Sci Publ. 1986(77):597-603.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. wolfbane Member

Google scholar and NIH pubmed searches, using the option to find works that cite a given reference, will make this easy,

https://scholar.google.com/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

I call dibs to start on page 1 of CarpenterProposalCitations.pdf tomorrow. Do we have any takers for checking other pages?
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Anonymous Member

If you start with page #1 and work forwards, I'll start at the end page and work backwards, tomorrow. I can spare a couple of hours.
    • Like Like x 3
  35. Ogsonofgroo Member

I hope to fuck someone, somewhere, in the VA or similar, start doing some sort of frikken research, on actual 'detox', cult and its bogus claims, and a whole lot of other stuffs. The years have proven, far too often, that the US politicians etc. etc., are happy just to throw money around (and say they did something), rather than actually doing a single, workable, thing.

Wolfy and NO, ya'll ROCK!

Cheers Anons!
    • Like Like x 2
  36. wolfbane Member

Deal! And it might be worth keeping track of journal article references that do not appear in either google scholar pubmed along the way. Because that indicates Carpenter is using non-professional or commercially funded sources that are not taken seriously by legit academics.
    • Like Like x 3
  37. AnonLover Member

• Like Like x 3
  38. AnonLover Member

FIFY... Anything that sounds like a journal, professional assoc/organization annal, magazine, etc. not listed anywhere in NIH PubMed only. (any issue/volume)

Google is too broad in some respects and we can ignore conference papers, presentation, congressional testimony and so on for a non-journal venue that won't provide rebuttal space.

Updated highlight refs from wack-a-shill round 1 attached.

DH, please dump everything you have for highlighted shill names whenever you get a chance.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  39. wolfbane Member

Ru roh. Came across this journal article from 2012 (long after Carpenter's 2008-09 proposal) on Utah Meth Cops Project outcomes. That's the Hubbard Detox Program, amirite?

Methamphetamine exposure and chronic illness in police officers: significant improvement with sauna-based detoxification therapy.
    Gerald H Ross1 and Marie C Sternquist2
    1Utah Meth Cops Project, c/o American Detoxification Foundation, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
    2Foundation for Advancements in Science and Education, Pasadena, CA, USA
    Gerald H Ross, Utah Meth Cops Project, c/o American Detoxification Foundation, P.O. Box 522169, Salt Lake City, UT 84152, USA

Toxicol Ind Health. 2012 Sep;28(8):758-68. doi: 10.1177/0748233711425070. Epub 2011 Nov 16.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22089658
    http://tih.sagepub.com/content/28/8/758.long
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3573677/
    • Like Like x 3