Customize

US Army catches Scientology ‘detox’ study FOIA request reveals

Discussion in 'US Army FOIA Scientology' started by KittyKatSpanker, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Anonymous Member

In my experience in Canada, yes, making inquiries to institutes of higher-learning about an individual's claimed educational credentials is usually met with cooperation.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DeathHamster Member

Maybe, but it probably doesn't matter unless they claim that she's a doctor.
  3. Anonymous Member

Carrying on with reports on the Carpenter document:

129: New perspectives on the use of niacin in the treatment of lipid disorders.

Journal - Arch Internal Med - (it’s “Arch Environmental Health” that Wolfbane has flagged as bogus).

Author - McKenney J - 2004 Apr 12 2004;164(7):697-705.
    * 1National Clinical Research and Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, USA. jmckenney@ncrinc.net

Numerous citations: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=McKenney J[Author]&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=15078639

128: The pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of agents proven to raise high-density lipoprotein cholesterol.

Author: Piepho RW

Legit Journal - American Journal Of Cardiology - Dec 21 2000;86(12A):35L-40L.

Article about methods of ameliorating the downsides of Niacin use for cholesterol treatment.

Two citations:

1. Novel agents to manage dyslipidemias and impact atherosclerosis.

Nachimuthu S, Raggi P.

Cardiovasc Hematol Disord Drug Targets. 2006 Sep;6(3):209-17. Review.
    PMID:17017903

Citations and linked articles: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?linkname=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=17017903

127: Niacin for dyslipidemia: considerations in product selection

Author: McKenney J Am J Health Syst Pharm. May 15 2003;60(10):995-1005.

Article identifies benefits and risks.

No Citations.

126: A comparison of the efficacy and toxic effects of sustained- vs immediate-release niacin in hypercholesterolemic patients

Authors: McKenney JM, Proctor JD, Harris S, Chinchili VM

Journal - JAMA 1994 Mar 2 1994;271(9):672-677.

Comment in

* Safety and side effects of sustained-release niacin. [JAMA. 1994]
    * Over-the-counter niacin. [JAMA. 1994]

125: CORONARY DRUG PROJECT - EXPERIENCE WITH NIACIN

Authors: Berge KG, Canner PL

European Journal Of Clinical Pharmacology

Coronary drug project: experience with niacin. Coronary Drug Project Research Group.
    Berge KG, Canner PL.

Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1991;40 Suppl 1:S49-51.

PMID: 2044644

Similar articles

Select item 30559182.

Therapeutic control of hyperlipidemia in the prevention of coronary atherosclerosis: a review of results from recent clinical trials.

Bilheimer DW. Am J Cardiol. 1988 Nov 11;62(15):1J-9J. Review.

PMID: 3055918

Similar articles

Related Articles: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?linkname=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=2044644
    Summary - articles are exclusive to cardiovascular issues and evaluate the efficacy of niacin in lowering lipid levels in study groups

124: HIV infection decreases intracellular nicotinamide adenine dinucleotid

Authors - Murray MF, Nghiem M, Srinivasan A.

Journal - Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995 Jul 6 1995;212(1):126-131.

No Citations.

123: Vitamins and minerals: efficacy and safety.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...affecting Air Force veterans of the Gulf War"

Journal - Am J Clin Nutr. 1997;66:427-437.

Seems to have one citation here: Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995 Jul 6;212(1):126-31.

We report that HIV-1 infection of human cells in vitro leads to significant decreases in the intracellular concentration of NAD. This decrease varies with viral load and HIV strain. In tissue culture, cells lacking CD4 receptors or cells incubated with heat inactivated virus do not demonstrate this decrease in NAD. Nicotinamide, the amide form of the vitamin niacin, increases intracellular NAD levels in uninfected cells as expected. Our data demonstrate that nicotinamide also maintains increased intracellular NAD concentrations in HIV infected cells. We conclude that HIV induces a state of intracellular pellagra which is reversed by the administration of nicotinamide.

Summary - the citation addresses a positive outcome for a specific condition if nicotinamide is used.

Pellagra is a deficiency disease caused by a lack of nicotinic acid or its precursor tryptophan in the diet. It is characterized by dermatitis, diarrhea, and mental disturbance, and is often linked to overdependence on corn as a staple food.

122: Chronic multisymptom illness affecting Air Force veterans of the Gulf War

Fukuda K, Nisenbaum R, Stewart G, et al.

Journal - JAMA Sep 16 1998;280(11):981-988

Abstract

CONTEXT: Gulf War (GW) veterans report nonspecific symptoms significantly more often than their nondeployed peers. However, no specific disorder has been identified, and the etiologic basis and clinical significance of their symptoms remain unclear.

Comment in

* Chronic multisystem illness among Gulf War veterans. [JAMA. 1999]
    * Illness among Gulf War veterans: risk factors, realities, and future research. [JAMA. 1998]

121: Health status in VA patients: Results from the Veterans Health Study

Kazis LE, Ren XS, Lee A, et al

Journal - American Journal of Medical Quality. Jan-Feb 1999;14(1):28-38.

No citations but numerous related articles - 485 pages of them.

120: State-Trait Anxiety Inventory for Adults

Author - Spielburger CD

Source: Menlo Park, CA: Mindgarden, Inc.

PubMed doesn’t list the Journal as recognized and doesn’t list the article. It lists other articles based on keyword associations - “anxiety” etc.

No citations.

119: Stroop Color and Word Test

Author - Golden C.

Journal - No. Tonowanda, New York: Multihealth Systems - seems to be a private source, and no record of any such journal at PubMed.

No Date.

No Citations.

Summary - I question the reason for this material being anywhere in the listing.

I can’t find a reason, but the word “test” pops out - and I speculate that the cult is thinking that the oxford capacity test is somehow validated because 'Tests!'

118: Dementia as a neuropsychological consequence of chronic occupational exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls

Authors - Troster AI, Ruff RM, Watson DP.

Journal - Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology. 1991;6:301-318.

No Citations.

Interesting article about PCB poisons and occupational exposure but nothing in the Abstract about vitamins or minerals.

117: Evidence of an age-related threshold effect of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) on neuropsychological functioning in a Native American population.

Authors - Haase RF, McCaffrey RJ, Santiago-Rivera AL, Morse GS, Tarbell A.

Journal - Environmental Research. Jan 2009;109(1):73-85.

Comment in

* Response to: Evidence of an age-related threshold effect of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) on neuropsychological functioning in a Native American population (Environ. Res. 2009; 109(1):73-85). [Environ Res. 2009]

Lin KC, Guo YL. Environ Res. 2009 Jul;109(5):647-8. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2009.03.007. Epub 2009 Apr 24. No abstract available.

PMID: 19393993

Select item 190410902.

Evidence of an age-related threshold effect of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) on neuropsychological functioning in a Native American population.

Haase RF, McCaffrey RJ, Santiago-Rivera AL, Morse GS, Tarbell A.

Environ Res. 2009 Jan;109(1):73-85. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2008.10.003. Epub 2008 Nov 28.

PMID: 19041090

Free PMC Article

116: Biospsychosocial well-being among Akwesasne residents (Project 2)

Authors - Santiago-Rivera A, Morse GL, Haase RF, McCaffrey R.

Article not located in PubMed.

No citations.

115: Benefits and harms of doxycycline treatment for Gulf War veterans’ illnesses

Authors - Donta ST, Engel CC, Collins JF

Annals of Internal Medicine. Jul 2004;141(2):85-94 … a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

Donta ST1, Engel CC Jr, Collins JF, Baseman JB, Dever LL, Taylor T, Boardman KD, Kazis LE, Martin SE, Horney RA, Wiseman AL, Kernodle DS, Smith RP, Baltch AL, Handanos C, Catto B, Montalvo L, Everson M, Blackburn W, Thakore M, Brown ST, Lutwick L, Norwood D, Bernstein J, Bacheller C, Ribner B, Church LW, Wilson KH, Guduru P, Cooper R, Lentino J, Hamill RJ, Gorin AB, Gordan V, Wagner D, Robinson C, DeJace P, Greenfield R, Beck L, Bittner M, Schumacher HR, Silverblatt F, Schmitt J, Wong E, Ryan MA, Figueroa J, Nice C, Feussner JR; VA Cooperative #475 Group.

Journal - Annals of Internal Medicine. Jul 2004;141(2):85-94.

RESULTS:

No statistically significant differences were found between the doxycycline and placebo groups for the primary outcome measure (43 of 238 participants [18.1%] vs. 42 of 243 participants [17.3%]; difference, 0.8 percentage point [95% CI, -6.5 to 8.0 percentage points]; P > 0.2) or for secondary outcome measures at 1 year.

In addition, possible differences in outcomes at 3 and 6 months were not apparent at 9 or 18 months.

Participants in the doxycycline group had a higher incidence of nausea and photosensitivity.

LIMITATIONS:

Adherence to treatment after 6 months was poor.

CONCLUSION: Long-term treatment with doxycycline did not improve outcomes of GWVIs at 1 year.

Comment in

* The long aftermath of the 1991 gulf war. [Ann Intern Med. 2004]
    * Summaries for patients. Can antibiotics cure Gulf War veterans' illnesses? [Ann Intern Med. 2004]

Summaries for patients. Can antibiotics cure Gulf War veterans' illnesses?

[No authors listed]

Comment on

* Benefits and harms of doxycycline treatment for Gulf War veterans' illnesses: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. [Ann Intern Med. 2004]

PMID:15262680

PMID: 15262663 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Summary: all this appears to be in the Carpenter list as an example of failure of a powerful antibiotic.

114: Chronic fatigue syndrome--a clinically empirical approach to its definition and study

Authors - Reeves WC1, Wagner D, Nisenbaum R, Jones JF, Gurbaxani B, Solomon L, Papanicolaou DA, Unger ER, Vernon SD, Heim C.

Journal - BMC Med. 2005;3:19.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The lack of standardized criteria for defining chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) has constrained research. The objective of this study was to apply the 1994 CFS criteria by standardized reproducible criteria.

CONCLUSION:

The empirical definition includes all aspects of CFS specified in the 1994 case definition and identifies persons with CFS in a precise manner that can be readily reproduced by both investigators and clinicians.

PMID: 16356178

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PMCID: PMC1334212

No citations.

113: Development and initial validation of an expanded and revised version of the Short-form McGill Pain Questionnaire

Authors - Dworkin RH1, Turk DC, Revicki DA, Harding G, Coyne KS, Peirce-Sandner S, Bhagwat D, Everton D, Burke LB, Cowan P, Farrar JT, Hertz S, Max MB, Rappaport BA, Melzack R.

Journal - Pain. 2009 Jul;144(1-2):35-42. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2009.02.007. Epub 2009 Apr 7.

Comment in All in one: is it possible to assess all dimensions of any pain with a simple questionnaire? [Pain. 2009]

PMID: 19356853

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    No citations.

Summary: another item for which it is difficult to understand reasons for this item being in this list.

I speculate that the presence of a report on a questionnaire may have piqued the cult’s interest because “Hey, we have a questionnaire too! That must make us scientific!" Yeah, they're that stupid.

112: A multicenter two by two factorial trial of cognitive behavioural therapy and aerobic exercise for Gulf War veterans' illnesses: design of a veterans affairs cooperative study (CSP #470)

Authors - Guarino P1, Peduzzi P, Donta ST, Engel CC, Clauw DJ, Williams DA, Skinner JS, Barkhuizen A, Kazis LE, Feussner JR.

Control Clin Trials. 2001 Jun;22(3):310-32.

No Citations.

I seem to recall reading somewhere the cult was exploring a project that was introducing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy into the narconon program. I can't find it. Perhaps someone else can remember the source.

I've put dibs on the completion of the second to last page of the Carpenter document. Those are items #106 - #111.

I also put dibs on the third to last page of the CD and those are items #90 - #105. I'll work from top to bottom from now on.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. wolfbane Member

I'm still plowing my way thru page 2 which is mostly mundane papers with no spin applied and scant few "comment" responses that are a direct rebuttal. However, I am seeing bigger pattern where the bulk of the cites used on the tech-y sections in the middle of Wikipedia's Purification Rundown topic address how these same mundane specifics of the detox regime are lumped together in a slanted way.

Once I get to the bottom of page 2 (I have about 1.5 inches to go) I want to revisit ^^This bigger pattern and see if something useful can be gleaned from a WP vs. Carpenter as an alternative way to look at the literature cited.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. DeathHamster Member

If the cites don't address the Purification Rundown directly, they they should be yanked from the article as Original Research.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. wolfbane Member

Correct but my bad, I think I botched my comment on what may or may not be useful to selectively lift from the WP references. Let me give it another go.

Due to the nature of the mundane trivial stuff in Carpenter's page 2 cites, when all else fails on finding a direct rebuttal commenting on a given piece of literature, I do a general googlefu search for key factoids in the abstract. This often leads me to the same trivial detail on WP Purif RD topic where they present the good, the bad, and some shades of gray inbetween for the same claim.

Carpenter only presents the good side of it. I'm noting that looking for direct rebuttals in pubmed and google scholar may not be enough for this set of citations, and I may want to revisit the same mundane details when I get to the end of page and take a closer look at the cites WP used. Just to see if anything Carpenter left out of his one-sided proposal can be recycled from their list of references on the same boring subject matter.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. AnonLover Member

I got a response from the FDA today saying this request is being processed.

I count that as a small win. When researching FDA-related stuff I had seen some PETA activists file blind fishing requests, looking for "new drug approvals" on recently completed clinical trials involving animal tested drugs.

Those requests all seemed to get a NoU! Nunyabizness cuz privacy laws says so rejection. Similar to the CMDRP telling me invited proposals were privacy protected, but without the extra helpful tip the Army gave me.

So I went long on writing up this FDA request, hoping the gov funding scenario plus Army disclosures would spare me the nunyabizness rejection.

So far, so good (knock on wood)
    • Like Like x 6
  10. AnonLover Member

Wow! That is sum list!! Thanks 'owl, a very quick skim gives me a warm fuzzy that you did good there.

Plz give me until next weekend to find the time to comb thru it all for double checking things, and then update the highlights in the Carpenter references pdf. I'm a bit jammed up with the next set of police records for NarcononReviews ATM, but once that is pushed out I will focus on your findings.

Meanwhile, do keep going. <3
    • Like Like x 5
  11. I can help with WP ref recon. Point me at this 'middle of topic' you speak of. Where exactly does topical overlap occur?
  12. Anonymous Member

Finished those pages. Moving on to #72 - #89.
    You got it!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

This one sure looks yummy!

83. Rozman K, Ballhorn L, Rozman T. Mineral oil in the diet enhances fecal excretion of DDT in the rhesus monkey. Drug Chem Toxicol. 1983;6(3):311-316.
  14. wolfbane Member

The googlefu direct hits I was getting for a small portion of page 2 in Carpenter's cites landed in the later parts of wikip's section 3 and carried on into section 4.

That happened enough times I just started skimming all the refs in sequence from section 3 on, to size things up. But I quickly found I was getting into deja vue material going backward to Carpenter's page 1 material that was sourced under wikip's section 5. I stopped there (at the end of section 5 refs) thinking a revisit AFTER I had page 2 checks completed would be easier to keep it all straight.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. wolfbane Member

Page 2 of Capenter's citations check out to be mostly puffery and no substance. Repeating what I previously listed to put this all into one post for AL.

Aside from those refs, there is only one more citation on page 2 with a direct response/rebuttal:

30.Schecter A, Birnbaum L, Ryan JJ,Constable JD. Dioxins: An overview. Environmental
    Research. Jul 2006;101(3):419-428.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16445906
    http://www.researchgate.net/profile...n_overview/links/0deec53c41c2b8e2f6000000.pdf

Comment in
    Kimbrough RD, Charnley G. To the editor. Environ Res. 2007 Jan;103(1):145-6; author reply 147-8. Epub 2006 Sep 18. PMID: 16979154
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16979154

Counter comment:
    Schecter A1, Birnbaum L, Ryan JJ, Constable JD. Response To the Editor. Environ Res. 2007 Jan
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935106001770

----

General observations about page 2 of Carpenter's citations:

The whole damn page is sloppy. Journal names are missing on some references, dates/issue numbers are wrong, a military venue for a presented paper is clobbered and the journal it was reprinted in later (that other journal articles cite) was ignored. Tracking down exactly what he was referring to on many of these references, as well as why he used it, felt like a game of hide and seek.

Regarding the context of several of the articles listed on this page seeming rather odd (I kept finding myself wondering "why did he use this?):

After finding the abstract for Carpenter's listed cite, relevancy of the material cited was a big question for me. In those situations, curiosity led me to looked up how Carpenter used it in the proposal. Every time I did that, it seemed like he was recycling some minor detail mentioned in passing rather than the thrust of the article he cited. Then I took whatever detail in the detox program he was trying to justify or explain with that cite, and ran it through Pubmed and Google Scholar to see if there was a better cite he should have used. That was fruitless, but like mentioned above a regular googlefu search would lead me to the WP Purif topic subsections I listed for camo man.

Overall, it felt like Carpenter's introductory material on the scientific basis for his proposal (what these particular citations cover) was put together like a game of hopscotch flitting from one of piece of literature to the next. The wikipedia sections on the purif topic I posted above make a far better presentation of the introductory concepts for hubbard detox / purification rundown process than the parts of Carpenter's proposal these citations are supposed to be supporting.

IOW the literature appears to mostly be a smokescreen on this page of cites, with only a few items actually having some relevance to the points he makes in the proposal.

Beware NightOwl, this smokescreen of bullshit likely continues over to page 3. The farther down the page I got, the more I felt like I was free falling into a black hole of irrelevancy.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. BigBeard Member

Exactly the point. Use one or two valid citations, then throw in enough 'smoke and mirrors' in the citations to pad it out and people will assume they're valid, without bothering to check if they actually are.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The following references sourced on Wikipedia Purification Rundown article under Section 3 (Reception) should be helpful for debunking the omissions and errors in Dr. Carpenter's proposal.

Literature already listed in this thread excluded and duplicate cites only listed once. Currently active links added where it was either missing, lacking content or just plain dead on Wikipedia.

/==

McCall, W. Vaughn (2007). "Psychiatry and Psychology in the Writings of L. Ron Hubbard". Journal of Religion and Health (Springer Netherlands) 46 (3): 437–447. doi:10.1007/s10943-006-9079-9. ISSN 1573-6571
    https://mega.co.nz/#!UVJ2kJCK!aEMHkRcZOlt5ZTbTiIQpNlH1-wYsX5eXHU80KuhkYUY

Mallia, Joseph (March 3, 1998). "Scientology reaches into schools through Narconon". Boston Herald.
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/sources/media/bh030398.htm

Dougherty, Geoff (March 28, 1999). "Store selling Scientology vitamin regimen raises concerns". St. Petersburg Times.
    http://www.sptimes.com/News/32899/Pasco/Store_selling_Sciento.html

Farley, Robert (March 30, 2003). "Detox center seeks acceptance". St. Petersburg Times.
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/sources/media/sp300303.htm

Kurt, T. (1995) "Sauna-Depuration: Toxicokinetics" presentation at 2nd Aspen Environmental Medicine Conference. Aspen, Colorado, September 7–9. cited in Staudenmayer, Herman (1998). Environmental Illness: myth and reality. CRC Press.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=O...icokinetics" Kurt&pg=PA48#v=onepage&q&f=false

Staudenmayer, Herman (1996). "Clinical Consequences of the EI/MCS "Diagnosis": Two Paths". Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology (Academic Press) 24 (1): S96–S110. doi:10.1006/rtph.1996.0084. ISSN 0273-2300. PMID 8921563
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8921563
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273230096900847

Asimov, Nanette (February 23, 2005). "Schools urged to drop antidrug program". San Francisco Chronicle.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/23/MNGQJBFKV81.DTL

Sommer, Mark (February 1, 2005). "Addiction specialists criticize detoxification program". Buffalo News.
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/JeremyPerkins/Articles/buffalo-news-2005-02-01-a.html

Gianni, Luke (February 22, 2007). "Scientology does detox, David E. Root, M.D". Sacramento News & Review.
    (David Root profile with quotes that can be used to debunk the efficacy of Carpenter's control group and blood tests)
    https://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/scientology-does-detox/content?oid=283982

Schaffer, Amanda (October 21, 2004). "Poisons, Begone! The dubious science behind the Scientologists' detoxification program for 9/11 rescue workers". Slate (Washington Post).
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2004/10/poisons_begone.html

"Medical and Scientific Opinions Regarding The Purification Rundown As Practiced By The Narconon Drug Treatment Program". Newkirk Herald Journal. n.d. *1*

"Drug Center Proposal Criticized". The Oklahoman. September 1, 1989.
    http://newsok.com/drug-center-proposal-criticized/article/2277797/?page=2

Carey, Art (October 7, 2007). "Clinic's results make 9/11 responders believe". The Philadelphia Enquirer.
    http://articles.philly.com/2007-10-07/news/25233591_1_dirty-work-scientology-detox

O'Donnell, Michelle (October 4, 2003). "Scientologist's Treatments Lure Firefighters". New York Times.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/04/nyregion/04DETO.html?ex=1158638400&en=1a7005cc75461171&ei=5070

Neill, Ushma S. (August 1, 2005). "Editorial: Tom Cruise is dangerous and irresponsible". Journal of Clinical Investigation 115 (8): 1964–1965. doi:10.1172/JCI26200. PMC 1180571. PMID 16075033
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16075033
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1180571/

Roberton, Craig (December 28, 1981). "Narconon". St. Petersburg Times.
    https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=g0pSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RXsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6697,4379000

"Church's purification course unsafe - expert". The Irish Times. February 6, 2003.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/church-s-purification-course-unsafe-expert-1.347899

Doward, Jamie (27 March 2005). "Scientologists will 'purify' drug addicts - for £15,000". The Observer (Guardian News & Media).
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2005/mar/27/drugsandalcohol.drugs1

Bremner, Charles (November 16, 1999). "Former cult chief jailed for fraud". The Times.
    http://cosmedia.freewinds.be/media/articles/tim161199.html

Henley, Jon (September 21, 1999). "French fraud case puts Scientology in the dock". The Guardian.
    http://cosmedia.freewinds.be/media/articles/grn210999.html

Morgan, Lucy (March 29, 1999). "Critics public and private keep pressure on Scientology". St. Petersburg Times.
    http://www.sptimes.com/News/32999/Worldandnation/Abroad__Critics_publi.html

/==

*1* Article no longer available online and not captured in the wayback machine. Alternate link that was probably some of the original source material reused in summary form can be found at the following link under "Scientific And Medical Accuracy Of Narconon Program Questioned" 17 August 1989. http://web.archive.org/web/20000817...irkherald.com/Newkirk Homepage/nsp/nsp1b.html
  18. Cumulative additions for the list of re-usable references from Wikipedia Purif RF article, taken from sections 4-5.

Same exclusions noted above apply ++tabloid puff pieces with no critical information not included.

Al-Zaki, Taleb; B Tilman Jolly (January 1997). "Severe Hyponatremia After Purification". Annals of Emergency Medicine (Mosby, Inc.) 29 (1): 194–195. doi:10.1016/S0196-0644(97)70335-4. PMID 8998113. *2*
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8998113

Gittrich, Greg (December 13, 2003). "Bravest taking the Cruise cure". New York Daily News.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20031216...ews.com/news/local/story/145576p-128631c.html

Carlisle, Nate; Rosetta, Lisa (November 8, 2007). "Meth cops swear they can sweat off toxins". Salt Lake Tribune. *3* http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7401658

Winslow, Ben (November 8, 2007). "Police detox at clinic for exposure to meth". Deseret Morning News.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/1...ersial-scientology-based-detox-treatment.html

Carlisle, Nate; Robert Gehrke (April 5, 2009). "More state funds quietly budgeted to help cops sweat to health". The Salt Lake Tribune.
    http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12078368

/==

*2* While running this AofEM journal article through pubmed and googlescholar, the following related citation came up that kicks the Hubbard Detox program to the curb starting on page 7.

Klein, A. V., and H. Kiat. "Detox diets for toxin elimination and weight management: a critical review of the evidence." Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics (2014).
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25522674
    http://www.researchgate.net/profile...e_evidence/links/54dd61b40cf25b09b9135d31.pdf

*3* While checking pro-detox expert quotes in the sltrib series by Nate Carlisle et al., it became apparent that the most widely touted independent study that is referred to multiple times in the 1990s version of Clear Body Clear Mind and various Narconon websites had been dropped from the cult's standard fare of detox propaganda at some point between the start of the New York 9/11 Rescue Workers Detoxification Project and the later phases of the Utah Meth Cops Project.

This is the one and only study that claimed to have actually looked at toxin levels in sweat and urine for 8 Narconon patients with all the screwy charts showing decreased cocaine levels that show up on multiple Scientology and Narconon websites. This so-called study was presented at a professional non-cult conference by the usual shills along with a legit expert, Dr. Forest Tenant, who's name is also used in Clear Body Clear Mind as the vague source of various expert opinions on the effectiveness of the purif/detox program but never specifically referenced for easy verification. So here is the specific reference they like to omit:

Shields, M., Beckman, S., Tennant F., Wisner, M. "Reduction of Drug Residues: Applications in drug rehabilitation." 123rd annual meeting of American Public Health Association presentation (1995).
    http://web.archive.org/web/20150414...bout-narconon/reduction-of-drug-residues.html

Synopsis of this study: 249 clients with drug abuse problems have been asked to estimate their own symptoms before and after the Hubbard treatment, and on 8 clients the concentrations of drug abuse substances have been measured in urine and sweat, before and during the treatment.

Debunking of this study: Sjoqvist, F. [Pamnell, C. Translator] "Expert advice on Narconon given to the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare." Socialstyrelsen [The National Board of Health and Welfare] (1996).
    http://www.xenu.net/archive/oca/narconon/sjoqvist.html

Sjoqvist states "Forest Tennant, on the other hand, has extensive scientific merits in the field of addiction medicine, with 166 publications on the abuse of alcohol, cocaine, opiates, anabolic steroides, etc. and he has among other things administrated drug abuse issues in the field of sports. However, he has among all of his publications not one that concerns the evaluation of Narconon's treatment program."

I tried to fact check Sjoqvist's claim (bolded above) as a means for possibly discrediting the claims allegedly made by Tennant in the clear Body Clear Mind book, Unfortunately, Sjoqvist's remark doesn't seem to check out since I found this paper by Tennant with an abstract that looks to be a very likely source of "published" pro-detox bullshit:

Tennant, Forest, Anita Tarver Artin Sagherian, and David B. Loveland. "A Placebo-Controlled Elimination Study to Identify Potential Treatment Agents for Cocaine Detoxification." The American Journal on Addictions 2.4 (1993): 299-308.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1521-0391.1993.tb00432.x/full

The American Journal on Addictions (AJA) is the bi-monthly journal of the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry. The Academy encourages research on the etiology, prevention, identification, and treatment of substance abuse. Publication Start Year: 1992. Accepted into PubMed as a recognized peer reviewed journal: v6n1, winter 1997.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog?term="Am J Addict"[ta]

Tennant's 1993 article that claims to have reviewed 20 different detox treatments on 324 cocaine-dependent persons is not indexed in PubMed due to the date of publication, but according to googlescholar it is cited by 8 other articles in reputable journals.
    https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...ts for Cocaine Detoxification"&lookup=0&hl=en

This indicates it was legit scholarly article. But something is fishy here and a fulltext copy of the AJA reference would be interesting to see to explain this oddity:

Cult trumpets Forest Tennant as an expert opinion in the CBCM book in early 1990s, and they frequently cited him as the lead author on the unpublished '95 conference presentation before they had other fake studies and cult sponsored conferences to cite. Nowadays they still cite that presentation but with all the author names removed. It also appears that they continued to use Tennant's name as a Narconon shill until he became well known as an advocate/lobbyist for using opoids for pain treatment in the late 1990s. (Irony! One of Narconon's first experts became a huge proponent of narcotic prescriptions).

From that point on (early 2000s), Tennant's name appears to have been sanitized from every cult shill promotional effort and faux article. Yet prior to that post Y2K sanitizing of his name, I find no cult-related mentions of his singular detox article formally published in AJA at the height of him playing the role of being their favorite soundbite shill, which was conveniently written at the same time he was pimping a pro Narconon detox message.

So why are their no other cult shill cites to that journal article? Was that also sanitized? Or maybe it was never leveraged because it was a psychiatry journal? Or is Tenant's info on the Hubbard Detox in comparison to other detox in that article not all that favorable? Alternately, maybe the Hubbard Detox program wasn't one of the 20 detox treatments included in Tennant's review, which would be a handy counter pointer to make when the conference presentation study is used as a reference (sans authors) in other shill papers that did get cited in Carpenter's proposal.

Add in the fact that cult shill David Root has repeatedly used passing mentions of this same "8 rehab patients tested" study Tennant originally promoted. However, Root has taken a beaten on never citing a proper source for that study, essentially making it anecdotal evidence. But if Tennant included that study in his published review of the results from 20 different detox treatments being given to cocaine addicts, you would expect Root, Shields, Dahlgren, etc. to all cite his AJA article over and over again.
  19. wolfbane Member

Nice work camo man!

tl;dr version - we need to get a copy of this leaked:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Anonymous Member

A Placebo‐Controlled Elimination Study to Identify Potential Treatment Agents for Cocaine Detoxification

ABSTRACT

This open-label study was done to determine which of several recommended agents and rationales may be effective for outpatient detoxification of cocaine dependence. A total of 324 cocaine-dependent persons were sequentially assigned to subgroups of 8–23 subjects and detoxified with 20 different treatment agents. Subjects who received each treatment agent were compared to a control group of 18 subjects who received only placebo and amino acids. Fourteen of the 20 agents (70%) appeared inappropriate for outpatient cocaine detoxification because they demonstrated intolerable side effects, a first-week drop-out rate over 40%, or failed to reduce urine cocaine metabolite concentrations. Cocaine use appeared to increase with bromocriptine mesylate, levodopa, and phenmetrazine hydrochloride, since mean cocaine urine concentration increased during treatment. Although no agent was statistically superior in performance to the placebo (control) group on any evaluation criterion, amantadine hydrochloride, bupropion hydrochloride, mazindol, nifedipine, pentoxifylline, and prazosin hydrochloride did not demonstrate any obvious liabilities and warrant further study as outpatient cocaine detoxification agents.

Search list: https://www.google.com/webhp?ie=utf... Treatment Agents for Cocaine Detoxification"

I put a "Full Text" request into Research Gate.
    • Like Like x 5
  21. AnonLover Member

Ooo... can you also do that for this major academic paper camo man picked up on? WP uses multiple cites to this piece of literature in several scieno topics to hammer on the worst points of bad science in the purif:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Anonymous Member

Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 08.59.23.png
    This is as close as I can get, so far.
    • Like Like x 3
  23. Incredulicide Member

From http://science.slashdot.org/story/15/10/21/1327203/how-scientists-are-circumventing-journal-paywalls

Some academics are fighting back against publishers of academic journals by providing copies of papers to researchers who don't have access. For some reason, the publishers aren't happy! Cognitive scientist Andrea Kuszewski said, "Basically you tweet out a link to the paper that you need, with the hashtag and then your email address. And someone will respond to your email and send it to you." That begins the conversation, and then the scientists cover their tracks: "Once contact is made, all subsequent conversation is kept off of social media — instead, scientists correspond via email. The original tweet is deleted, so there's no public record of the paper changing hands. Kuszewski and others say the method is necessary to get up-to-date research in the hands of academics from developing countries, and her and other scientists say they consider the pirating 'civil disobedience' against a system that includes for-profit publishing companies."
  24. Anonymous Member

No fucking way would I post my e-mail address into a fucking tweet!
    • Like Like x 2
  25. White Tara Global Moderator

What if any federal funding does Narconon recieve? I recall it once mentioned that the DOD spends about half a million annually on a program thats Narconon affiliated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/obama-opioid-addiction-treatment_5627b3d6e4b0bce347034174?

More at link;
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/obama-opioid-addiction-treatment_5627b3d6e4b0bce347034174?
  26. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  27. White Tara Global Moderator

Ah thanks Night owl. :) Does this proposed 90 day turnaround have any impact on Dod's spending? I am assuming its federal level funding?
  28. wolfbane Member

According to the dox posted ITT, DOD funding is strictly for a the initial phase of a clinical trial of the Hubbard Detox Program for use in treating vets exposed to chemicals, and nothing at to do with the use of the same program being used in drug rehabs. The progress reports seem to indicate the initial clinical trial has ended or is wrapping this year. AnonLover is working on getting confirmation on whether or not they qualified for additional funding to do the second phase of the trial related to testing the blood samples taken.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. AnonLover Member

Meh. Small win was small. And short-lived. FDA says they can 't find it:
    https://muckrock.s3.amazonaws.com/foia_files/2015/10/28/Final_Letter.pdf

Next NNR dox drop is nao done! So I'll be shifting gears back to the effort I started ITT this weekend.
    • Like Like x 2
  30. RightOn Member

I have no idea what you guys are talking about , but it sounds sexy as hell.
    Thank you for all that you guys do!
    <3
  31. Anonymous Member

"The Office of Grants Management searched its files and no records responsive to your request were located. While we believe that an adequate search of appropriate files was conducted for the records you requested, you have the right to appeal this determination that no records exist which would be responsive to your request."
    • Like Like x 1
  32. AnonLover Member

FWIW I'm pondering if by chance this accidentally landed in the wrong office. And if so, then the no dox found status is perhaps a false positive. But I have to look into how the FDA/NIH work together to figure out whether or not that's a valid concern.
    • Like Like x 4

33. Scientology has away to let dox "dissapear"
  34. AnonLover Member

I have not dropped this project. The Narconon FOIA stuff haz kicked into high gear and haz me spread thin. But I will bak ITT kicking up dust after Thanksgiving weekend is out of the way.
    • Like Like x 2

35. You go, need me to try find something on the net ?
  36. AnonLover Member

Not find, but watch. Keep an eye on this page for a press release about "2016 funding announced" that should be coming out before mid December:

http://cdmrp.army.mil/pubs/press/press.shtml

Might also see something pop out about 2016 funding on their Twitter if it's delayed or derailed:

https://twitter.com/CDMRP

Check these pages once a day just to make sure we don't miss the opportunity to confirm our favorite cult did not get another round of funding.
    • Like Like x 3
  37. LOL at nobody touches this.

Yo folks we are not magiciens with Superpowers
  38. AnonLover Member

Looks like they have begun releasing next year's "funding opportunities" (grants that can be applied for, not grants that have been awarded/paid funding) for one program at a time. So we also want to keep an eye out for 2016 "funding opportunities for the "Gulf War Illness (GWIRP)" program, just to make sure something hasn't changed that would open a door for Carpenters to apply for more funding.

I suspect, once they get done releasing "2016 funding opportunities" press announcements for the next week, the next wave of press announcements will be the more important "2015/6 funding announced" OR MAYBE "funding awards" AND/OR "grant awards" -- something that says monies has been or will be paid on the last application phase. Specifically, for the GWIRP program is the break it down into incremental announcements like they seem to be doing with the new "opportunities" press blurbs.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. AnonLover Member

Cross posting interesting refs from a recent media thread that I need to check are in my infos when I get bak to this project...

• Like Like x 1