Customize

US DoD funding of Scientology Detox Programs and Gulf War Veterans

Discussion in 'US Army FOIA Scientology' started by HellRazor, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

2. Random guy Member

This assumes that the Golf War syndrome is:

a) a single form of disease, and not a collective term for a number of unrelated symptoms

b) caused by a toxin rather than bacteria, virus or stress.

Since none of the above is certain (actually, they are not likely to be true), this "study" is valueless. Also, the study seems to imply that "detoxification" has any sort of basis in reality. It does not.

Junk science is junk.
  3. Anonymous Member

It seems a lot of money has been spent as well.

Interesting that it is being referred to as detoxification and not The Purification Rundown.
  4. Anonymous Member

cult will try to hide itself
  5. HellRazor Member

Yes, Hubbard Detox is junk science. However, it looks like the Pentagon is desperate enough to try anything to help these Gulf War vets since conventional treatments are not working. Unfortunately, that means giving some research funds to pro-Scientology doctors. I don't know how much of that will trickle up to the CoS. I think their main motivation is that this research will lend some scientific credibility to the Purification Rundown. My hope is that this will be full of fail and that the scientific community will denounce this as full of crap.

I have been mulling over whether it is worth it to harpoon the GWIRP and CDMRP about the links to Scientology. I'm worried that it would be useless since they might not care.
  6. Random guy Member

Not just Hubbard's. I know "detox" through drinking "healthy minerals and vitamins" is all the rage among the fashion minded these days. It is still rubbish.
  7. Anonymous Member

Why is there no listing for this clinical trial on clinicaltrials.gov?
    There is a requirement by various US federal entities such as DOD, FDA, NIH, etc, to register clinical trials.
    Or am I just searching incorrectly?
  8. QFT. My favorite quote is from here.
    The dehydration from detox saunas actually impairs your kidneys ability to function, increasing toxins in your body. This is what killed some of the people at Oprah's Scientologist friend's sauna.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Tangerine Member

Great find <3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DeathHamster Member

11. Ann O'Nymous Member

12. Anonymous Member

Maybe the FDA would like to hear about this.
    The FDA might be very interested.
  13. Loki's spawn Member

Would it be possible to mention that the investigators could have a bias in favor of the treatment? Who would you contact about that?
  14. Anonymous Member

FDA the review boards have to be impartial
  15. xenubarb Member

How many times have you heard about Narconon, "Well at least they're TRYING to do something!" Yeah, it's ok to poison people as long as it's done in the name of "help."
  16. Anonymous Member

I think I may had heard something about Dr. Kerr having sold and delivered the purification rundown out of her private practice on Yonge St, quite a long while ago, until Co$ shut it down (competition?). The Church is just blocks away from her.

Could be just a rumor.
  17. Anonymous Member

1. Controlled clinical trials with human subjects are ONLY appropriate for a treatment that already has substantial evidence of efficacy.

2. Trials of implausible therapies can ONLY produce false positive outcomes, for all practical purposes.

3. Even in the case of a plausible therapy, a well controlled, double-blinded trial using objective outcome measures will generate falsely positive results about 1/20 times.

4. When outcomes involve subjective self report of nonspecific symptoms, falsely positive outcomes are likely around 50:50.

5. When researchers are on an anomaly hunting expedition and plan to send off as many labs as possible looking for *something,* they will have no problem finding a correlation between the patients with the symptoms and at least one or two elevated lab values.
  18. Anonymous Member

Lrn2Bayesian
  19. DeathHamster Member

It's more likely that it was some ScrewTheWogs reason, like maybe some health plans covered it as treatment if done via a doctor's office rather than the Org? Later, when the plans wised up, they'd just drop the charade and do it at the org.

As I recall, CoS did get in trouble with some people taking the Purification as Narconon rather than Scientology in order to count it as a "charitable donation" in Canada. They did have to put their foot down in order not to trash Narconon's charity status. Perhaps that was it?
  20. HellRazor Member

I didn't find it either. Can any Anons explain/help?
  21. Anonymous Member

Report it to the FDA. srsly. They will look, and in looking will make the investigators involved in the study paranoid and upset. They have to show a consent form that honestly talks about risks.
  22. Anonymous Member

fify

http://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public...nes/Efficacy/E6_R1/Step4/E6_R1__Guideline.pdf
    "Good Clinical Practice (GCP) is an international ethical and scientific quality standard for designing, conducting, recording and reporting trials that involve the participation of human subjects. Compliance with this standard provides public assurance that the rights, safety and well-being of trial subjects are protected, consistent with the principles that have their origin in the Declaration of Helsinki, and that the clinical trial data are credible.
    The objective of this ICH GCP Guideline is to provide a unified standard for the European Union (EU), Japan and the United States to facilitate the mutual acceptance of clinical data by the regulatory authorities in these jurisdictions."

I was searching for links to the clinical trials and could only find the note on Dr. Kerr's site but no useful links. I was trying to see if there was any record that the study/consent were approved by the human use committee/IRB of any of their institutions- no luck. Not listing a trial on clinicaltrials.gov is supposed to prevent publication of any journal article, but these guys would not likely submit an article to any real peer reviewed journals so not really a factor. DOD should be interested but FDA will not care about Kerr in Canada and there needs to be real evidence they cut corners.
  23. Anonymous Member

bump. Any info at the FDA?
  24. lulzRus Member

Study is now listed in clinical trials :

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01672710?term=hubbard&rank=1

And already, scilons are trying to milk it for donations to "help veterans" :rolleyes: :

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/johnny-spag-hypes-it-up/

Study was registered in august 2012, supposed to start about now, if they can actually recruit participants.

This is worrying. Having an open clinical trial often helps quacks extort money from unsuspecting victims. The awful cancer quack Burzynski has been doing this for over 35 years, keeping his clinical trials (over 60 of them) open at the FDA as a way to rope in desperate patients.
    • Like Like x 3
  25. we need to poon them abouty Hubbards War record

hubbardstolenmedals2b.jpg
  26. anon33 Member

Remember Sam Neill? I was shocked to find him in an infomercial selling toothbrush, I think. I was shocked is that I know for a fact that it doesn't work well. Soon, he died of cancer. That would explain for Carpenter, a last chance money grab.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. From ESMB: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...cation-Rundown&p=899761&viewfull=1#post899761

• Like Like x 3
  28. From ESMB: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...f-Scientology-Purification-Rundown#post899770

• Like Like x 2
  29. http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-Purification-Rundown&amp;p=899772#post899772

• Like Like x 1
  30. DeathHamster Member

There was a burst of six shilling articles in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Too sleepy to look up Wayback links right now. (I have copies too.)
    • Like Like x 1
  31. muldrake Member

This is practically an invitation to a qui tam suit, a legal action by a private party on behalf of the government against fraudulent squandering of public funds.
    • Like Like x 3
  32. muldrake Member

Sam Neill is still alive, at least if you mean the one who starred in Jurassic Park.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. wolfbane Member

I have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds downright sexy.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. muldrake Member

A qui tam suit is a lawsuit by a private individual against a fraudster squandering public funds. The victor in such a suit collects a portion of the public funds collected.
    • Like Like x 2
  35. anon33 Member

I thought Sam was long dead after the toothbrush (or something else) infomercial. That's the only way to explain an household name working for a useless infomercial. Imagine my surprise when I saw him on Cruose! Then I rationalize. That's America's darkest hour. Nobody buy things and nobody advertise and nobody make decent TV series. Cruose is so bad that it must had been made earlier when Sam's still alive. He must be penniless to do that shit. It was so bad that nobody dared to show it to anybody until, America's darkest hour, when something have to be show on TV. The rest is, the worst history on TV. I'm glad he recovered from that and doing well.
  36. From ESMB:

• Like Like x 1
  37. deirdre Member

IRB address for albany.edu is: IRB@albany.edu (shocker!)
    IRB address for sage.edu is: sageirb@sage.edu
    IRB address for Women's College Hospital, Toronto's Research Ethics Board contacts list can be found here: http://www.womensresearch.ca/research-ethics-board/contact-us/
    Severna Park's site is currently down, www.sphwc.com

I have no fucking idea who to contact for the DoD. Congress?

Some things I'll point out when you contact these people:

1) Hubbard's been dead since 1986. This program is not new.
    2) It's been around for ~30 years. Why now?
    3) The title of the study indicates confirmation bias. Clinical trial titles don't use words like "Innovative." They have titles more like: Thymidylate Synthase Polymorphisms as a Predictor of Toxicity to Capecitabine Chemotherapy in Colon Cancer Treatment. And stuff.
    4) Also, I hate to say it, but contact the people who really think scientific research ought to be defunded. Contact senators and house reps alike, and pull out this as an example of a bad study to fund. Point out the Scientology connection. Point out the Narconon connection.
    • Like Like x 3

38. The contact for the DoD should be the Army Medical Research and Material Command, which is the grant authority that is administering the funding and overseeing this study grant. The relevant office for reporting concerns on studies on human subjects is:

Human Research Protection Office

Chief, Human Subjects Protection Review