Customize

USA Today: Jada Pinkett Smith - "I want people to know who I really am"

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by DiaSciRev, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann O'Nymous Member

Re: USA Today: Jada Pinkett Smith - "I want people to know who I really am"

Double negative is used to create ambiguity. The proper formulation would have been: "I am not a scientologist but...".
  2. Buttons Member

Ann-

Exactly----
  3. whoever Member

Sorry. Two negatives in a sentence are not always wrong or ambiguous. Maybe you think she could have said what she was trying to say in a more eloquent way (if so, I invite you to finish the sentence you began). But I imagine she is not a very eloquent speaker.
  4. Re: USA Today: Jada Pinkett Smith - "I want people to know who I really am"

Sound familar????
  5. RightOn Member

I found out who I am not. Now I am going to find out who I am.
    Then am I going to find out who I should be, then I am going to find out who I can't be.
    After that, I will find out who I could have been, and after that I am going to find out I am nobody.
  6. Ann O'Nymous Member

Lurk moar.
  7. Anonymous Member

See, this is why you got an E in Math.
  8. whoever Member

Learn English grammar.

It's not a double negative. It's only a double negative if the negatives are within the same clause.
  9. Mutante Member

It's only not a double negative if the negatives aren't within the same clause?
  10. bastet Member

FUCK THE ORWELLIAN DOUBLESPEAK THEY CAN GO TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Snake Member

I don't see how this shows she's a Scilon. She's clearly a sympathizer but that's it. Why the witch hunt?
  12. Re: USA Today: Jada Pinkett Smith - "I want people to know who I really am"

She turned me into a newt!
  13. Snake Member

ummm.....ok?
  14. Anonymous Member

I don't know if I would call this a witch hunt. But let's think about this for a second.

She and her hubby start a school and use their celebrity cred to get people to send their rugrats there. School pushes Hubbard tech and is almost exclusively staffed by Scientologist. Then she says Scientology has nothing to do with it. And of course she not a Scientologist. Oh and she is starting a new series on TV.

Call bullshit when bullshit needs to be called.
  15. Lorelei Member

Since there are a number of known Scientologists who do not get the stink-eye from Anonymous as much as JP-S and WS, I am guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that they are attemptng to infect small children with Hubbard education-related Fail Tech, and lying about it, claiming it is not a type of indoctrination into the cult, and claiming it IS a valid and useful educational method.

We have seen the effects of a Scilon education. It has nothing to recommend it.

It's also a "give a mouse a cookie / let the camel stick his nose into your tent" slippery slope, as most of the Scilon front groups are*. They hide their indoctrination purpose under a happy-sounding label, or claim to promote a good cause, and thus have more time to work hard on the indoctrination process before the target(s)/victim(s) realize that "This Is Scientology."

The "I'm not saying I'm not a Scientologist" / "I'm not a Scientologist, but (Applied Scholastics WORKS and it HELPS people / LRH, despite not being a good student or having any training in curriculum, knows how to teach people / my Scientologist buddies are WAI KEWL / all religions...and cults masquerading as religions...are equally groovy, man)" does NOT help, especially combined with WS and JP-S taking a sympathetic stance re: the cult and high-ranking cultists several times.

Just a guess. YMMV, and obviously does.

ETA: There are also the logical fallacies. JP-S and WS and other Scieno-sympathetic celebs frequently couch their "Scientology is groovy" statements in logical fallacies or arguments (as do many Scilons, who are TAUGHT to accept and use several common logical fallacies). Those of us who think that a reliance on logical fallacies shows laziness of intellect or, at worst, a deliberate attempt to deceive or mislead or change the subject, are not in the least amused by that.

Begging the question — "Proving" that something is true by supporting your argument on facts that are only assumed to be true.

TC is my friend.
    My friends are good people.
    Therefore my friend TC is a good person.

TC is a Scientologist.
    My friend TC is a good person.
    Therefore all Scientologists are good people.

Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc (After this, therefore because of this) = Correlation implies causation — claiming that because two things are correlated, one must cause the other. The truth can be that the correlation is coincidental, or that both things are related to a third thing, which is itself known as the Third Variable Problem.

My friend TC is a Scientologist.
    My friend TC is rich, apparently happy, and has a good career.
    Therefore, Scientology caused his wealth, happiness and good career.

I want to be even more rich, happy, and fulfilled via my career.
    Scientology caused TC's wealth, happiness and success.
    Therefore, Scientology will grant me equal wealth, happiness, and success.

Ad hominem fallacy: Discarding an argument based on the character of the person presenting it, rather than the content of the argument itself.

Critics of the cult say we should not give Scientology a try.
    Most critics of the cult are apparently not as wealthy, happy, or successful as TC.
    Why should I listen to someone who is not as wealthy, happy or successful as TC?
    Therefore, I should give Scientology a try.

A variant of Ad Hominem, Tu Quoque states that a person's argument is invalid because that person is biased.

Critics think that Scientology is a cult and should be banned.
    Some critics have Crimes, and are therefore biased.
    Therefore, Scientology is obviously not a cult.

Appeal To Wealth: Claiming that the position is correct because the rich or famous support it. This is the basis behind Celebrity Endorsements, especially when the celebrity's area of expertise is not relevant to the issue. Again, TC is super-rich, and he sure looks happyhappyhappy. The fact that TC is a moron and in no position to dictate to others about anything is overlooked. His wealth does not make him wiser or better-informed or a good role model.

Appeal To Popularity: Many people believe it, therefore it must be right. A lot of people used to believe the Earth was the center of the universe. Or flat.

Irrelevant thesis (Ignoratio Elenchi): The formal name literally means "ignorance of refutation" — this is not refuting the opposing position at all, but acting as though you did.

I'm not a Scientologist, but, hey, check out my good buddy TC, he is totally awesome, is he not? Therefore Scientology must be totally awesome too.

Appeal to pity: (argumentum ad misericordiam): Attempting to make someone feel sorry for either the arguer or the subject of the argument, in order to convince them to accept the argument regardless of its validity.

Why you hatin' on mah RELIGION?! Poor me, poor scientologists, everybody always pickin' on their poor, oppressed asses. LEAVE [strike]BRITNEY SPEARS[/strike] SCIENTOLOGY ALONE!

* Incidentally, the slippery slope fallacy is based on the idea that an object on the edge of a slope will slide all the way to the bottom if given even a small nudge. On a similar note, a small step taken in one direction will eventually lead to some drastic consequences, wouldn't they? This "argument" usually ignores the individual connections between events in favour of simply assuming one leads to another. However, it is not a fallacy if one does establish the chain of logical implications (or quantifying the relevant probabilities). We've noted that a lot of Scilon front groups are focused primarily on Making More Money and Promoting Scientology (recruiting for the cult). Therefore, there is a small chance that defending a Scilon front group and exposing vulnerable children to Scientology teachings will NOT result in children being indoctrinated into the cult, but, as that appears to be the primary or secondary PURPOSE of these front groups, the assumption is not a bad one to make. Whereas it can NOT be proven that EVERY child exposed to the FAIL of LRH educational programs will be recruited or be indoctrinated into thinking "Scientology is not so bad" (perhaps a tertiary goal after Making Money and Recruiting MOAR Wogs), the POSSIBILITY, based on the observed purpose of AS elsewhere and other front groups, is there, and as children have not reached the age of majority and are particularly vulnerable, it is not a bad thing to be VERY suspicious and concerned about AS, and people who loudly support AS / LRH tech.

So, to exaggerate a bit: no, giving a pyro a can of gasoline and some matches and pointing her towards an empty building does not GUARANTEE a suspicious fire in that location, but a clever person can put the individual components to the situation together enough to be seriously concerned and to say, "Hey, maybe this is not such a good idea, sport." Allowing celebs to start schools based on LRH tech and populated by Scilon educators, noting that a lot of front groups actively recruit, and NOT saying, "Hey, maybe this is not such a good idea, Stupid Celebrity Arseholes," would be tantamount to ignoring some previous information we've been given, repeatedly, and ostriching instead of being concerned about the LIKELY result, which is kids who wind up looking stupid and are educationally retarded because they had an inadequate education, and who are trained to think LRH is WAI KEWL, and, by extension, that Scientology is not so bad.

Anyway. The perfect, logical, argument is true, valid, and sound. True relates to the factual accuracy of a conclusion, but does not mean that the premise or premises are also correct. Valid relates to the "mechanics" of forming a logical argument. IOW, you can have two or more false premises, and apply the mechanics of logical reasoning, but still get a false conclusion because the premises were incorrect. Sound refers to an argument as a whole. All premises AND the conclusion must be true--all info must be correct and the reasoning free of fallacies--for an argument to be sound.

If someone can back up their rationale behind an assumption--one based on observation of identical or very similar events--then I am, personally, more inclined to pay attention and get concerned than otherwise.

JP-S and WS seem determined to ostrich and deny they are promoting the cult, while, in effect, PROMOTING THE CULT. At that point, whether they ARE Scilons or just ENABLING scilons is moot.
  16. Snake Member

Well, actually going to the Will Smith school and personally talking with the staff, Will used Study Tech and he said his son was helped by it. That's his choice as a parent. And frankly, if you are a parent and don't do research on a school or your own kids studies, that's your fault as a parent.

I don't think they are trying to "infect". Will and Jada honestly believes this works, and they are incorporating many other controversial teachings into their school. They may be giant celebs and maybe they are disconnected from regular people, but they give off a perception that they are intelligent and caring people.

How many celeb scilons/sympathizers have come to speak with Anonymous? Just one:

Will Smith

I mean he could be all these things you said, but the chances that he is as extreme about Scientology as Tom Cruise is really unlikely, considering Will Smith's actions.
  17. Ann O'Nymous Member

Witchhunt ?

18. whosit Member

Will Smith does not impress me much. I think he used the hot water instead of cold and accidental shrunk his brain.

19. RightOn Member

They are using the same tech as they do in Delphi, which is a known Scientology school.
    How are they not Scientologists??

Everyone has also seen the HUGE change in Will Smith, even his movie roles reflect his change.
    Who can forget this interview with his mumbo jumbo in his V neck sweater. Keep an eye in the interviewer Tavis Smiley, he is HORRIFIED and does't know what to do.
    And the way Will is talking , sounds like the beginning of his Sci courses to me.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hEoc7Cr-is&feature=fvst]YouTube - Will Smith Interview with Tavis Smiley[/ame]
  20. whosit Member

scary hivemind is scary
  21. Snake Member

They actually are not. There are books that the Scientologist teachers there wanted to bring in, but the president of the school and the Smiths both thought it wasn't up to their standards and that there were better resources. They also claim that they are careful about what Study Tech pieces they use, since some of it is clearly part of Scientology. The actual Study Tech material they use is a small portion of the whole curriculum.
  22. RightOn Member

I stand corrected then, I am just going by what they say on their website.....
    Also you listen to ex members, who went to these schools they all seem to say the same thing about the way they were taught and MU's.

I guess one would have to take the passage from their webiste, and stack it up against Delphi's tech.

Right from Smith's school website:
    "Study Technology - An educational model developed by L.R. Hubbard, study technology focuses on three principles. First is the use of “mass” (manipulatives and hands-on experiences) to foster understanding – children need to see and feel what they are learning about. Second is the attention to the “gradient,” which ensures sure students master one level before moving on to the next. Third is the “misunderstood word,” in which students master word definitions and are taught not to read past words they don’t know the meanings of in order to understand completely what they are reading and learning. NVLA uses study technology as an umbrella methodology woven through the subjects."

UPDATED... NOPE sorry I disagree Snake.
  23. Anonymous Member

I wonder, now that School's out for summer, if it might be an interesting follow up piece for the media to interview some of the students and find out how classes were taught.
  24. Snake Member

I'm sure the parents would be thrilled about that idea.
  25. Anonymous Member

jada pinkett wants to be legendary

but scientology can't make her halle berry
  26. Re: USA Today: Jada Pinkett Smith - "I want people to know who I really am"

There are two groups of people who look at L. Ron Hubbturd materials and do not realize that it is all bullshit and creepy as hell, imho.

Group number one is people who are 100% illiterate and can’t read a word of it, not even “the” and “at,” so they just pretend to be able to understand it. And the second is the unfortunates who have already started being processed (read: brainwashed) into thinking that it somehow makes sense or is “just like any other religion.”
  27. Anonymous Member

Why not, be a nice human interest story.
  28. Anonymous Member

Isn't the study tech the SAME as Applied Scholstics?
  29. Ann O'Nymous Member

The tech is the tech, AS is one of the channels to spread it.
  30. Anonymous Member

if you post from a youtube channel, did you know you can embed it?
  31. RightOn Member

They probably said no to the books, cause then the parents would see it was COS. To study the tech without the books is easier to hide the fact that it is Scientology. IMO
  32. bastet Member

Will Smith is a little ignorant, overpaid, punk- coward. And his wife is hideous and disgusting. Any questions?
  33. bastet Member

How you gonna not know nuffin' bout some bullshit cult? Is you ignant?
  34. Herro Member

How does that make them scientologists? Are people who practice yoga automatically Hindu? Are people who practice Theravada meditation techniques automatically buddhists? Look, they're using this "tech" as an approach to teaching- as a pedagogy. What they're saying is that kids should have hands on experience with what they're learning, that they should learn things gradually, and that they should look up words they don't understand. What's so terrible about that? And how does that make anyone a scientologist?

Now I know that the scientologists like to use "study tech" as a way to get LRH into schools and to make recruiting easier. However, as it is being used in Will Smith's school, the study tech really has nothing to do with scientology or recruiting people. I think that people looking at that school should be told that the study tech comes from the founder of scientology and originates from that belief system. That way the parents can make an informed choice. But to take this as evidence that Will Smith and his wife are scientologists is simply absurd.

I think Will Smith killed Michael Jackson to draw media attention away from the trial in France. Hey, making accusations is fun and easy when they aren't grounded in any sort of reality.
  35. Snake Member

From those of us who got pulled into that surprise meeting during the first raid at the school, we were told that they are strictly trying to us the non-religious parts of Study Tech. They liked to say they are modifying it to their uses. (Squirreling the tech essentially.)
  36. Ann O'Nymous Member

Many teachers there are scientologists and they use LRH's tech.
    Oh really ?

TL;DR Best piece of apology today. Congratulations.
  37. Anonynamefag Member

Explain Will Smith's big-ass donation to the Co$, then, Herro. These people are accusing of Smith of being a Scientologists on more than just study tech.
  38. Herro Member

Maybe he thinks Scientology works and it helps people? That doesn't mean that he is a Scientologist. Besides, Smith has always been pretty up front about the fact that his Christian beliefs are an important part of his life. Until someone has some sort of evidence that he's a Scientologist, there's no reason to assume that he is. The donation is interesting I guess, but it really isn't something that is a good indicator that he has become a scientologist. At least not by itself. All I think you can say about him right now is that he thinks Scientology is something good.

Many teachers in public schools belong to a religious group. Yet they manage to do their jobs without proselytizing.

What is wrong with what I said Ann?
  39. Ann O'Nymous Member

TL;DR Will Smith is a non-scientologist scientologist.
  40. Snake Member

^ Great point.

ITT: bunch of narrow-minded faggots who cant think critically.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.