Customize

VICE - North Korean Film Madness documentary

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Wrong Guy, Oct 6, 2012.

1. praline Member

Thanks wrong guy! I was still half asleep when I posted the above. I should have sited sources :D

I don't think Kim's leg has anything to do with why is is missing.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. praline Member

I saw that and they also went to SK for a little visit. I am still trying to figure out where the baby sister fits into all of this. Is she as much of a dunder head as he is? I am assuming no but like him there is very little about her.All I can find is she went to school in Switzerland.
  4. DeathHamster Member

Too much information.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. praline Member

HA HA HA HA HA
    10171890_472523056221030_2514863528409217619_n.jpg
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

Kim Jong-Un Is Reportedly Back After a Six-Week Absence | VICE News

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has reportedly appeared in public after an absence of almost six weeks, laying to rest rumors that the 32-year-old dictator might have been taken seriously ill or ousted from power.

The country's official news agency KCNA reported on Tuesday that Kim "gave field guidance" at a new living quarter for scientists, while the face of the Supreme Leader grinned broadly from the front page of the daily newspaper Rodong Sinmun.

The paper, the official publication of the Communist Party's Central Committee, carried several images of Kim walking with a stick as he inspected the Wisong Scientists Residential District.

"Watching the exterior of the apartment houses and public buildings nicely decorated with diverse color tiles, he was very pleased to see them," the daily reported. "He said they looked very attractive, presenting fantastic scenery."

Continued here:
    https://news.vice.com/article/kim-jong-un-is-reportedly-back-after-a-six-week-absence
    • Like Like x 1
  7. praline Member

I saw that! It was very interesting BUT I don't think North korea had much of a choice. Any longer and someone was going to file a missing person's report. Maybe he is spending time with Shelly? LOL

He didn't speak publicly so I am not convinced he wasn't privately overthrown. In their culture they consider him a living God. You can't go and just execute a living god you know? At least that is my thinking but nobody knows for sure.
  8. HellRazor Member

OGD is keeping us all guessing. The report about Kim Jong-Un's reappearance may simply be old footage.

They're probably keeping Kim Jong-Un on the payroll until they find a suitable replacement. I think the top candidates for a compliant figurehead would be one of his bros... that is, unless KJU decides to play ball.
  9. praline Member

I am going with the sister.
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Meet the Men and Women Who Help Rule North Korea From the Shadows | VICE News

They are the world's most fearsome bureaucrats. One is a cyber warfare expert and counterfeiter described by one expert as the "North Korean version of Dick Cheney." Another is the former chairman of the country's youth soccer and taekwondo associations. One is a thuggish enforcer, one is a mild-mannered consensus builder. They are the old, stern-faced men lurking in the background of propaganda photos while Kim Jong-un grins, points, and smokes cigarettes.

They helped Kim take over the regime, and they may ultimately be the people who rule for years to come.

Continued here:
    https://news.vice.com/article/meet-the-men-and-women-who-help-rule-north-korea-from-the-shadows
    • Like Like x 1
  11. praline Member

saving this for later! pet grooming day and I am holding wet pissed cat.

However ~ anyone know about this vice news on you tube? I have been watching their stuff here and there and it seems like a decent group as media goes. Whats their basic rep when it comes to accuracy?
  12. Anonymous Member

VICE has proved itself reliable, timely and broad based.
  13. praline Member

Good! I have been watching several of their you tube documentaries lately ~ I am a HUGE documentary fan but not of the stupid ones where they show Area 51 is full of aliens...
    So far I liked what I read and found most of their documentaries broad in their point of view.... but you never know with media
  14. Anonymous Member

If you can find a print issue of the VICE Magazine, it's possible you'll be impressed.
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

It's Very Easy to Get Away with Lying About North Korea | VICE United States

B0qhL7zIQAAYBVD.jpg:large.jpg

As soon as Kim Jong-un re-emerged from wherever he was this month — plump, smiling, with added cane — the question was raised whether it was all real. Certainly, images of Kim limping around the Wisong Scientists Residential District like a freshly neutered puppy were plentiful, and he apparently looked 22 pounds lighter than he did in May.

There were suggestions, even, that the Jong-un on screen was a political decoy, a doppelganger rolled out during times of crisis like when the Dear Leader is so heavy he fractures his ankles. That sort of delicious conspiracy that seems to go hand-in-hand with North Korea, like aliens in Area 51 or groups of wealthy, hooded lizard men at the Bilderberg Conference.

Adam Cathcart’s North Korea Misinformation Bingo sums up the great clusterfuck of assumptions regarding North Korea in a series of over 20 bulletpoints, as well as parodying the nature of the West’s obsession with the country. Without any facts — or any way to legitimately fact check — someone writing about North Korea can spin whatever shit they want.

Cathcart gets at a very crucial argument concerning how the Western media machine profligates (and encourages) hilarious memes and misdirection about North Korea without ever engaging with the country itself. This is why Jong-un’s recent disappearance has served only to increase the rate of stories about him, because without our great star, how can the show go on?

Quirky narratives aside, the country's reality is grim. The UN has pulled the plug on food aid and China. practically the North’s sole trade partner, is extorting them for its own goods while underpaying for the DPRK’s. Even the nation's greatest (or only) ally is fucking them over.

But such is the slippery nature of North Korea (an idea fostered both by the country and the international press) that fiction can be quite easily passed off as fact. Back in 2008, Waseda University professor Toshimitsu Shigemura published The True Character of Kim Jong-il, arguing that the Beloved Father died in 2003 and, to ensure political stability, was replaced by a doppelganger. Satellite imagery, he argues, reveals this new Kim was at least 2.5 centimeters taller than the Supreme Leader.

This is where the doppelganger theory really began: Eager to profligate the idea of North Korea being the loony bin of nations, media outlets like the Telegraph gave Shigemura a nice platform from which to preach his theories.

He later argued at the World Economic Forum in Tianjin, China, that computer analysis of Kim Jong-il’s voice revealed it was a different man (not, of course, the same man simply hungover or suffering from a cold). The logical culmination of all this was that Bill Clinton met a double while trying to negotiate the release of three American prisoners.

We're told that Kim Jong-il maybe had a stroke in 2008 but then completed 122 separate visits to field sites the following year. We are to assume that either the stroke was a lie or the visits were; or, perhaps more salaciously, that Kim had body doubles doing his resplendent inspections for him. It's all strangely close to some speculative celebrity gossip column.

Continued here:
    http://www.vice.com/read/a-brief-history-of-political-decoys
    • Like Like x 2
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

North Korea Quarantines Visiting Foreigners to Protect Against Ebola | VICE News

It's probably fair to say that of all of the countries in the world, North Korea would be placed on the more paranoid end of the spectrum. And the Hermit Kingdom's freshly-implemented Ebola precautions do nothing to dispel that image.

Since October 25 all tourists have been banned from entering the country. Today, the state announced that every foreigner who circumvents the current ban will be quarantined for a period of 21 days, regardless of where they have come from, the AP reports.

"Those arriving via the airport at Pyongyang will be held at Chongchongang Hotel in Anju City. Those arriving from Dandong will be held at Amnokgang hotel in Sinuiju," Dylan Harris of Lupine Travel — a company that specializes in tours to the secretive country — told VICE News. "This is only for those who North Korea considers high risk."

"The others will be quarantined in hotels appointed by their host organization," he added. "Diplomatic staff, NGOs etc., are to stay in their respective missions."

Harris told VICE News that those scheduled to leave before the 21-day period is up will be free to travel out of the country, but for people who have planned trips over the next few months the likelihood of being given permission to enter is less certain.

"At the moment we don't know when the borders will be reopened again," he said.

Continued here:
    https://news.vice.com/article/north-korea-quarantines-visiting-foreigners-to-protect-against-ebola
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

UN Confronts North Korea over Crimes against Humanity | AFP

The United Nations is preparing to confront North Korea over its dismal rights record with a key vote this week that could compel Pyongyang to answer to crimes against humanity.

A UN General Assembly committee will vote Tuesday on a resolution drafted by the European Union and Japan condemning human rights abuses in North Korea and calling for a war crimes probe.

While North Korea often features on the roster of resolutions targeting pariah states, the latest text has been the focus of intense diplomacy over provisions that could see the Pyongyang regime in the dock at the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The resolution draws heavily from a UN report released in February that detailed a vast network of prison camps and provided accounts of torture, summary executions and rape, mostly from testimony from North Korean exiles.

Responsibility for these crimes lies at the highest level of the state, according to the report by the UN inquiry, which concluded that the atrocities amounted to crimes against humanity.

Continued here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/un-confronts-north-korea-over-crimes-against-humanity-031200715.html
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Swayze Member

added note,

one of il's offspring is or was living in Macau for many years, but keeping a low profile and likely under another name.
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Sony looks for possible North Korea link in hacking incident - report | Reuters

Sony Pictures Entertainment is investigating to determine if hackers working on behalf of North Korea might be responsible for a cyber attack that knocked out the studio's computer network earlier this week, the technology news site Re/code reported.

The attack occurred a month before Sony Pictures, a unit of Sony Corp 6758.T, is to release "The Interview." The movie is a comedy about two journalists who are recruited by the CIA to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. The Pyongyang government denounced the film as "undisguised sponsoring of terrorism, as well as an act of war" in a letter to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in June.

<snipped>

Sony Pictures' computer system went down on Monday. Before screens went dark, they displayed a red skull and the phrase "Hacked By #GOP," which reportedly stands for Guardians of Peace, the Los Angeles Times said.

The hackers also warned they would release "secrets" stolen from the Sony servers, the Times reported.

Re/code said in a report late Friday that Sony and security consultants were investigating the possibility that someone acting on behalf of North Korea, possibly from China, was responsible. Re/code said a link to North Korea had not been confirmed but it had not been ruled out.

A source familiar with the matter told Reuters that Sony Pictures was investigating every possibility, adding no link to North Korea has been uncovered.

Sony acknowledged the computer outage in a statement on Tuesday. Emails to Sony were bouncing back on Saturday with a message asking senders to contact employees by telephone because its email system was "experiencing a disruption."

"The Interview," scheduled for release in the United States on Dec. 25, stars James Franco as the host of a tabloid television show that is enjoyed by Kim, and Seth Rogen as the show's producer. When they are granted a rare interview with Kim, the CIA wants to turn them into assassins.

KCNA, the official news agency in isolationist North Korea, quoted a Foreign Ministry spokesman in June as promising a "merciless counter-measure" if the film is released. The government also wrote to U.S. President Barack Obama asking him to stop it, the Voice of America reported.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/01/uk-sony-cybersecurity-northkorea-idUKKCN0JD0K820141201

Sony’s new movies leaked online after suspected North Korea retaliatory hack | RT News

At least five new films produced by Sony Pictures have leaked online, resulting in around 2 million downloads from file-sharing sites. Sony is investigating allegations that North Korean hackers are responsible for the leaks, according to reports.

According to Variety, the leaks came from copies of DVD screeners of four unreleased Sony films - “Annie,” “Mr. Turner,” “Still Alice” and “To Write Love on Her Arms” - and one movie, “Fury,” already in theaters.

“Fury” has been pirated the most of the five films, according to the IT forensics firm Excipio, with more than 1.2 million downloads as of mid-Sunday. “Annie” was next, with more than 206,000 downloads.

“The theft of Sony Pictures Entertainment content is a criminal matter, and we are working closely with law enforcement to address it,” a Sony spokeswoman said in a statement to Variety.

Continued here: http://rt.com/news/210479-north-korea-sony-leak/
    • Like Like x 1
  21. moxie Member

• Like Like x 1
  22. Anonymous Member

Transcript: (There may be small errors in this transcript).

I have to do this because this is not me speaking. This is the people who want to tell the world what they want to say. North Korea is an unimaginable country. There is only one channel on TV. There is only one Internet. We aren't afraid to sing, say, wear, or think what we want.

North Korea is the only country in the world that executes people for making unauthorized international phone calls. North Koreans are being terrorized today. When I was growing up in North Korea, I never saw anything about love stories between men and women. No books, no songs, no press. No movies about love stories.

There is no Romeo and Juliet. Every story was propaganda to brainwash us about the Kim dictators. I was born in 1993 and I was abducted at birth, even before I knew the words freedom or human rights. North Korea is so desperately seeking and dying for freedom at this moment.

When I was nine years old, I saw my friend's mother publicly executed. Her crime: watching a Hollywood movie. Expressing doubt about the cruelness of the regime can get three generations of a family imprisoned or executed. When I was four years old, I was warned by my mother not to even whisper.

The birds and mice couldn't hear me. I admit it. I thought the North Korean dictator could read my mind. My father died in China after we escaped North Korea and I had to bury him at 3:00 a.m. in secret. I was 14 years old. I couldn't even cry. I was afraid to be sent back to North Korea.

The day I escaped North Korea, I saw my mother raped. The rapist was a Chinese broker. He targeted me. I was 13 years old. There is a saying in North Korea, "when men are weak, our mothers are strong." My mother allowed herself to be raped in order to protect me. North Korean refugees, about three hundred thousand are vulnerable in China. 70% of North Korean women and teenage girls are being victimized, sometimes sold for as little as 200 dollars.

We walked across the Gobi desert following a compass. When this stopped working, we followed the stars to freedom. I felt only the stars would lead us. Mongolia was our freedom moment. Death or dignity. And with the knives, we were prepared to kill ourselves if we were going to be sent back to North Korea. We wanted to live as humans. People often ask me, "how can you help North Koreans?"

There are many ways but I would like to mention three for now. One, educate yourself so that you can raise awareness about human crisis in North Korea. Two, help and support North Korean refugees who are trying to escape to freedom. Three, petition China's on repatriation. We have to shine a light on the darkest place in the world.

It isn't just North Korean human rights, it's our rights that North Korean dictators have violated for seven decades. We need governments all around the world to put pressure on China to stop repatriation. In particular, Chinese delegates of One Young World, can play a part by speaking up. North Korea is indescribable.

No humans deserve to be oppressed just because of their birth place. We need to focus less on the regime and more on the people who are being forgotten. One Young World, we are the ones who make them visible. Fellow delegates, please join me as you make this a global movement to free North Koreans.

When I was crossing the Gobi desert, scared of dying, I thought nobody in this world cared. It seemed that only the stars were with me. But you have listened to my story. You have cared. Thank you very much.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

Did North Korea's notorious Unit 121 cyber army hack Sony Pictures? | The Guardian

North Korea has refused to deny involvement in the hack of Sony Pictures, which crippled the studio’s computers this week and leaked current blockbusters and private documents online.

A spokesman for North Korea’s UN mission said: “The hostile forces are relating everything to the DPRK (North Korea). I kindly advise you to just wait and see.”

Sony staff were reduced to using pen, paper and fax machines, unable to use their computers. Some sources said that 70% of files, documents and even film scripts had been deleted.

Ex-employees on whom Sony held data told the Guardian they were worried that some of the leaked data allegedly included personal data. “There’s lots of very personal info: contracts, payroll info, work evaluation. Workers [are] upset they aren’t getting good answers from management,” said one. “The question remains if they actually have the files in question. If they do it’s a huge mess.”

A group calling itself Guardians of Peace (Gop) has claimed responsibility for the hack, though links between Gop and the North Korean authorities have not been confirmed.

Continued here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/02/north-korea-hack-sony-pictures-brad-pitt-fury
    • Like Like x 1
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Sony Pictures hack gets uglier; North Korea won’t deny responsibility | Ars Technica

Last paragraph:

While North Korean involvement in the attack is possible, it doesn't seem overly plausible based on the nature of the attack and the claims made by those who have been posting data. One posting related to the attack claimed that GOP was seeking "proper monetary compensation for the victims" of Sony Pictures' corporate reorganization and mass layoffs this year. In a phone conversation with Ars, Sam Kassoumeh, the co-founder and chief operating officer of analytics firm Security Scorecard, said that evidence suggested to him that there was at least some insider involvement in the attack. "From a psychological perspective, this attack is invoking emotions that may apply to employees of Sony as well. It may likely have been someone internal leaking the information because they knew how to get to it, rather than it being an outside attacker."

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...-uglier-north-korea-wont-deny-responsibility/
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Sekee Member

Imitation isn’t the sincerest form of flattery in North Korea.

• Like Like x 1
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

Maybe North Korea Didn’t Hack Sony Pictures | Slate

Excerpt:

Tommy Stiansen, the chief techonology officer for cyber investigation firm Norse, told Bloomberg Politics that he is going to Sony and the FBI with IP address evidence that the attack could have come from a former Sony employee in Japan who was fired in May. “The only reason people are talking about North Korea is that North Korea spoke out against Sony” and The Interview, he said. “I am convinced that this is an inside job. The group, Guardians of Peace, nobody has never heard of them. I cannot find a drop of information on them. I would say if we can’t find anything on them, they don’t exist and they’re certainly not tied to any particular government.”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t..._hack_was_north_korea_really_the_culprit.html
    • Like Like x 1
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

Continuing on with what has become quite a bizarre derail:

Following historic data breach, Sony employees warned by hackers

Following the historic corporate cyber-attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment, hackers are now making personal threats to its employees. Per an email obtained by Variety on Friday, hackers have issued a blanket statement in broken English. Hackers claim to hail from a group calling itself “Guardians of Peace.”

I am the head of GOP who made you worry.

Removing Sony Pictures on earth is a very tiny work for our group which is a worldwide organization. And what we have done so far is only a small part of our further plan. It’s your false if you think this crisis will be over after some time. All hope will leave you and Sony Pictures will collapse. This situation is only due to Sony Pictures. Sony Pictures is responsible for whatever the result is. Sony Pictures clings to what is good to nobody from the beginning. It’s silly to expect in Sony Pictures to take off us. Sony Pictures makes only useless efforts. One beside you can be our member.

Many things beyond imagination will happen at many places of the world. Our agents find themselves act in necessary places. Please sign your name to object the false of the company at the email address below if you don’t want to suffer damage. If you don’t, not only you but your family will be in danger.

Nobody can prevent us, but the only way is to follow our demand. If you want to prevent us, make your company behave wisely.

North Korea has denied involvement in the hacks, despite rampant speculation that it is perpetrating these efforts in response to upcoming film, The Interview. In it, James Franco and Seth Rogen join forces to assassinate its leader, Kim Jon-un.

Sony employees were told to turn off their phones following the warning.

This comes after reports that over 47,000 people’s personal information — including addresses, salaries, social security numbers, employee reviews — leaked.

<snipped>

It hasn’t helped that former Sony employees are calling the company’s IT team a “joke” in the wake of these unprecedented corporate hacks. Reportedly, thousands of stolen passwords were left, sans encryption, in plain text under a folder marked “Master_Password_Sheet.”

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/sony-hack-guardians-of-peace-employee-warning/
    • Like Like x 2
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

Norse CTO says he has evidence that Sony cyber attack was ‘inside job’ | St. Louis Business Journal

Tommy Stiansen, the chief technology officer for Norse Corp., a cybersecurity firm that has one of its two offices in St. Louis, said he has forensic evidence that the cyber attack on Sony was an inside job.

Sony Pictures Entertainment was the target of a cyber attack on Nov. 24 that took down its computer systems. Corporate information, such as salaries of executives, were also leaked in the breach. In the immediate aftermath, many pointed to North Korea as a potential culprit. Stiansen thinks otherwise.

"The only reason people are talking about North Korea is that North Korea spoke out against Sony," Stiansen told Bloomberg Politics. "But North Korea is better than that. They wouldn't steal all the other movies and not grab 'The Interview.' I am convinced that this is an inside job. The group, Guardians of Peace, nobody has never heard of them. I cannot find a drop of information on them. I would say if we can't find anything on them, they don't exist and they're certainly not tied to any particular government."

Continued here:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...cto-says-he-has-evidence-that-sony-cyber.html

There's more about Norse in this thread:
    https://whyweprotest.net/threads/massive-cyber-attack-targeting-the-us.120199/

This article provides more about what has been leaked:

Sony Hack Reveals Top-Secret Profitability of 2013 Movies | The Hollywood Reporter

As The Hollywood Reporter continues to sift through a massive trove of Sony Pictures documents leaked by an unknown hacker, more financial details have emerged, giving an unprecedented glimpse into the inner workings of a major Hollywood studio.

Among the most stunning documents is one prepared for parent company Sony Corp. in Japan that reveals studio “ultimates" -- among the most closely guarded information in Hollywood -- on a number of recent films. “Ultimates” is studio parlance for the ultimate profitability (or loss) of a film, once its theatrical run, home video and other ancillary revenue streams are taken into consideration, as well as the cost of making, marketing and releasing the film.

Continued here:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-reveals-top-secret-754491
    • Like Like x 1
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

FBI official says 'no attribution' to North Korea in Sony hack probe | Reuters

A senior FBI official said on Tuesday that the agency has not confirmed suspicions that the North Korea is behind the unprecedented cyber attack on Sony's Hollywood studio.

"There is no attribution to North Korea at this point," Joe Demarest, Assistant Director with the FBI's cyber division said while speaking on a panel at a cybersecurity conference in Washington sponsored by Bloomberg Government. "There is no discussion or confirmation of government involvement," he added.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/09/us-sony-cybersecurity-fbi-idUSKBN0JN1MF20141209
    • Like Like x 1
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Now we can get back to what really matters in life.

Hacked Sony emails reveal producer Scott Rudin trashing Angelina Jolie as 'minimally talented spoiled brat'

An explosive collection of emails between Rudin and Sony honcho Amy Pascal show Rudin repeatedly slamming Angelina Jolie for creating trouble for his planned Steve Jobs biopic.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...cer-trashing-angelina-jolie-article-1.2040641
    • Like Like x 1
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Sony CEO ordered 'The Interview' toned down, Rogen objected: emails | Reuters

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/sony-ceo-...d-down-rogen-objected-010856740--finance.html

The CEO Of Sony Forced A Major Change In 'The Interview' | Business Insider

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-ceo-of-sony-forced-a-major-change-in-the-interview-2014-12

Sony will not screen 'The Interview' in Japan | UPI

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...iew-will-not-be-shown-in-Japan/1681418244678/

Media limited at the premiere of Seth Rogen and James Franco's 'The Interview' after Sony hack | AP

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/st...NTERVIEW_PREMIERE?SITE=WIJAN&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
    • Like Like x 1
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

The most embarrassing thing about Sony's email leaks

It’s difficult to feel sorry for big, faceless corporations, but by the time the year is out, Sony will have inadvertently put this to the test over and over again.

There’s a lot of things we’ve learned from the studio’s massive leak earlier this month, but in some of the more salacious details, Sony has actually come off looking outright pathetic. Granted, the whole story is still taking shape, but as revelation after revelation keep coming in, things also keep getting increasingly embarrassing. Whether it’s their ridiculous power points, their absurd crossover plans, or their own distaste for Adam Sandler movies (even Sony is sick of the guy), the most insightful emails reveal a studio in the midst of a minor crisis. Which, or course, has just turned into a major one.

That said, Hollywood is changing fast, and Sony certainly wouldn’t be the only studio having difficulty adjusting. But there are also a few Sony emails which conjure up details that are less pitiful, and more toxic. On the surface, they might not seem that troubling, but the more you look at everything in context, the more frustrating it all becomes. The worst of these ultimately boil down to one thing: Hollywood’s white masculinity problem.

Continued here:
    http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/sony-email-leaks-scott-rudin-angelina-jolie/
    • Like Like x 1
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

Sony Pictures Demands That News Agencies Delete ‘Stolen’ Data | New York Times

Sony Pictures Entertainment warned media outlets on Sunday against using the mountains of corporate data revealed by hackers who raided the studio’s computer systems in an attack that became public last month.

In a sharply worded letter sent to news organizations, including The New York Times, David Boies, a prominent lawyer hired by Sony, characterized the documents as “stolen information” and demanded that they be avoided, and destroyed if they had already been downloaded or otherwise acquired.

The studio “does not consent to your possession, review, copying, dissemination, publication, uploading, downloading or making any use” of the information, Mr. Boies wrote in the three-page letter, which was distributed Sunday morning.

<snipped>

Over the weekend, the hackers, who have pressed Sony to withdraw its upcoming comedy “The Interview,” promised further data dumps by Christmas, when the film is scheduled to be released. The plot involves an attempt to assassinate the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

<snipped>

Mr. Boies, for his part, had severe words for news organizations that continued to mine Sony’s data. “If you don’t comply with this request,” he wrote, Sony “will have no choice but to hold you responsible for any damage or loss arising from such use or dissemination by you.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/b...at-news-organizations-delete-stolen-data.html
    • Like Like x 1
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

Hackers promise “Christmas present” Sony Pictures won’t like | Ars Technica

This weekend, the “Guardians of Peace” — the cyber-attackers who brought Sony Pictures Entertainment’s network down in November and have since shared over a terabyte of the company’s internal data — made two more dumps of SPE data to file sharing sites and torrents. The second of the two, on Sunday, was the email box of Sony Pictures Releasing International President Steven O’Dell. And the hackers promised a “Christmas present” soon of even more data if the company does not relent and meet their unspecified demands.

"We are preparing for you a Christmas gift," the GoP said in a post to Pastebin and Friendpaste. "The gift will be larger quantities of data. And it will be more interesting.The gift will surely give you much more pleasure and put Sony Pictures into the worst state. Please send an email titled by 'Merry Christmas' at the addresses below to tell us what you want in our Christmas gift."

As the breach spills into another week, details have emerged that suggest the attack may have begun much earlier this year, or even earlier, and that the attackers were able to collect significant intelligence on the network from Sony Pictures’ own IT department. It's clear that those behind the attack were deep inside Sony's network for a long time before they set off the malware that erased Sony hard drives—and some of the data they collected could have been used in other attacks.

Continued here:
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/12/hackers-promise-christmas-present-sony-pictures-wont-like/
    • Like Like x 1
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

Eriq Gardner @eriqgardner · 3h 3 hours ago
    Gawker shows the death scene in "The Interview." Your ball, Sony.

Leaked: Watch the Kim Jong-un Death Scene That Has Sony Terrified

If there was one thing that triggered the embarrassing and fascinating Sony email leak, it might have been their decision to go forward with killing North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un in James Franco and Seth Rogen's The Interview in the most gory way allowable. Now, you can watch exactly why some think North Korea may have hacked Sony.

The exact specifics of Kim Jong-un's death have required a long back-and-forth between the movie's creators, Rogen and Evan Goldberg, and Sony executives in two continents. On Sept. 26, Rogen sent an email to Amy Pascal, SPE's co chairman, and Doug Belgrad, the president of SPE's Motion Picture Group, regarding Kim's death. The subject is "Hey guys! New head shot!" and in it, Rogen describes some alterations to the climax.

"We took out three out of four face embers," Rogen writes of shrapnel set to hit Kim's face. "Reduced the hair burning by 50%, and significantly darkened the chunks of Kim's head." This, though, was far from the final alterations he would have to make.

Continued here:
    http://defamer.gawker.com/leaked-watch-the-kim-jong-un-death-scene-sony-is-terri-1671454669

Everything You Need to Know About Sony's Unprecedented Hacking Disaster

http://sonyhack.gawker.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-sonys-unprecedented-h-1671217518
    • Like Like x 1
  38. The Wrong Guy Member

Sony Pictures hackers make their biggest threat yet: "Remember the 11th of September 2001"

Over the past several weeks, a hacker group calling itself “GOP” or “Guardians of Peace” has been leaking devastating amounts of data about Hollywood mega-studio Sony Pictures onto the Internet, along with vague, threatening messages about further leaks to come.

On Tuesday, the group (or someone purporting to be the group) made its gravest threat yet, singling out Sony Pictures’ controversial North Korea comedy “The Interview” by name for the first time, and promising a “bitter fate” to “those who seek fun in terror.”

The new e-mail from GOP reads:

Warning

We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places “The Interview” be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to.

Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made.

The world will be full of fear.

Remember the 11th of September 2001.

We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.

(If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)

Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

All the world will denounce the SONY.

The note, posted on Pastebin, was accompanied by links to torrent files, similar to the batches sent out on several prior occasions. The new files are labeled “Christmas gift: Michael Lynton.” (Lynton is Sony Pictures’ CEO.)

Continued here:
    http://fusion.net/story/34344/sony-...reat-yet-remember-the-11th-of-september-2001/

The Pastebin post is here: http://pastebin.com/iEdgyRfS

This happened, too:

Sony Hack: First Lawsuit Filed Against Company by Ex-Employees

The complaint filed in California says that Sony failed to secure its computer systems despite warnings of the threat.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/sony-hack-first-lawsuit-filed-758347
    • Like Like x 2
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

Sony Hack: Activists to Drop 'Interview' DVDs Over North Korea Via Balloon | The Hollywood Reporter

Whether or not North Korea is behind the Sony hack, Kim Jong Un better brace himself because The Interview is headed to his country. Human rights activists are planning to airlift DVDs of the Seth Rogen comedy into the country via hydrogen balloons.

Fighters for a Free North Korea, run by Park Sang Hak, a former government propagandist who escaped to South Korea, has for years used balloons to get transistor radios, DVDs and other items into North Korean — not to entertain the deprived masses but to introduce them to the outside world.

In the past two years, the Human Rights Foundation in New York, created by Thor Halvorssen, has been helping bankroll the balloon drops, with the next one set for January. The Interview likely won’t be out on DVD then, but Halvorssen says he’ll add copies as soon as possible. Halvorssen, whose group also finances the smuggling of DVD players into North Korea, says that the past dozen or so drops have included copies of movies and TV shows like Braveheart, Battlestar Galactica and Desperate Housewives. Anything with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone is also popular.

“Viewing any one of these is a subversive act that could get you executed,” Halvorssen says. “And The Interview is tremendously threatening to the Kims. They cannot abide by anything that portrays them as anything other than a god. This movie destroys the narrative.”

Halvorssen says Hollywood is largely unaware that its product is being used so effectively in this way. At the Oslo Freedom Forum in October, a 21-year-old North Korean escapee named Yeonmi Park, now an intern with Halvorssen’s group, described how viewing a black-market copy of James Cameron’s Titanic was a life-changing event.

“When I was growing up in North Korea, I never saw anything about love stories between men and women,” she said. “Every story was to brainwash about the Kim dictators. A turning point in my life was when I saw the movie Titanic. … I was wondering if the director and the actors would be killed.”

She said that as youngsters they are taught that dying for the Kim regime was the most honorable thing one could do, and she and other children were shown propaganda movies to that effect.

“I realized that Titanic showed me a human story about love, beauty, humanity … it gave me a taste of freedom,” she said in Oslo. “A man willing to die for a woman — it changed my thinking. It changed the way I saw the regime and the endless propaganda. Titanic made me realize that I was controlled by the regime.”

Continued here:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-activists-drop-interview-758529
    • Like Like x 4
  40. The Wrong Guy Member