Customize

video editing software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by everanonymous, Feb 10, 2008.

1. everanonymous Member

video editing software

i have a PC but i have no current way of taking my movies and editing them for youtube. i just need something basic to inject slides of text into the video. what can you recommend that's free?
  2. Windows Movie Maker?
  3. anoncosla Member

that's what i used for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM3OwPZ4XtQ

gets the job done for simple missions. besides, one who makes an effective video via WMM should be very proud, as it is quite neolithic.
  4. noitulover Member

Video Editing and Conversion Software

my name is noitulover
    and I'm a
    technopeasant

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some good software that both converts video files from one format to another, as well as allows you to edit DVDs (o.k., strike me down if I've asked something illegal) - really, it's for educational purposes, I swear.
  5. kiyiyi2 Member

Re: Video Editing and Conversion Software

I recommend this site very highly for converting stuff:
    http://media-convert.com/
  6. noitulover Member

Re: Video Editing and Conversion Software

many thanks :)
  7. everanonymous Member

Re: video editing software

what do you use to blur out or block peoples faces? i ended up recording some footage with an anon w/o a mask for a few moments but the rest of the footage is still usable. need to block out his face.
  8. Anon Frenzy Member

I use After Effects. (Create Adjustment Layer, animate a mask over the area to be blurred. Add Fast Blur or Mosaic for pixels)

If whatever editing program you're using can allow you to render out an image sequence, you can open them in Photoshop or similar open source graphics program, and blur out the face frame by frame, and re-import to your editing program.
  9. Annon514 Member

I use Sony Vegas.
    I had After Effects, but I couldn't figure it out:rofl:
  10. Mål Member

I use finalcut pro (but your on windows os it's useless) and Premier Pro. Both are really easy, great programs.
  11. the_cloak Member

I like Macs myself. I've got several PC's too. Too poor to afford one of the new Mac Pros and my old G4 machine is too slow for movie editing. So I converted my gaming box into a hackintosh. I can dual boot windows/Mac OS X and it works fairly well. Just a few glitches/annoyances with OS X since I am using a hacked version and 3rd party drivers that are still evolving.

I used a 2.66 mhz Core 2 Duo, Gigabyte P35 DS3L board, 4GB corsair ram, 500 GB samsung hard disk and an Nvidia 8800 GT card. Theres an Asus P35W something? board that supposedly works even better for the job. Fast as hell for video editing and it costs a fraction of the $2700 price of an entry level mac pro. If interested in making one, google hackintosh and go from there.

Oh and I use iMovie HD 6 (iMovie 08 sucks cock) and am grabbing a copy of Final Cut Pro to fuck around with and see if it's worth the price for my needs.
  12. supafreak Member

+1 for Microsoft Movie Maker. I've only used it once so far, and even a doofus like me can use it. :)

Oy, who said Anonymous are a bunch of hackers on steroids? LOL!
  13. everanonymous Member

ok. nothing is working for me.

Ulead, Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premire Pro, cyberlink Powerdirector, all of them freeze and die when i try to import anything to them. powerdirector does work if i'm importing my unconverted .MOD files from my camcorder, but once they're avi files and i try to reimport them the program dies. and i already deleted all the original MOD files (they take up twice as much space as the .avi files so i can't keep them.)

any idea why this is?

I'm running windows XP, with an amd dual core 3800+ 64 x2 (939 socket), and 2 gigs of 2.01 Ghz RAM.

halp T_T
  14. everanonymous Member

bump cause i still need halp...
  15. DH1900 Member

I can recommend sony vegas, when you try to drag and drop after starting it it will freeze but just hold the file there until it unfreezes, it's because of the way vegas uses codecs.

sounds like you have conflicting codecs, let me guess, you downloaded a few codec packs and installed them to try and fix the problem. Unfortunately that was a bad idea because you've now littered your registry with conflicting data which is almost impossible to remove.
  16. timepirate Member

17. noitulover Member

fuck, I had no idea that could happen:frustration:

when I got my very first codec error, I went browsing -- doing exactly that -- download a few packs until the problem went away --

I've downloaded a few 'conversion' programs too but have never had any luck . Man, I'm way more computer illiterate than I thought --
  18. everanonymous Member

no. i have the CCCP codec pack and i don't think i've downloaded anything after that.
  19. DH1900 Member

That's an FFDshow based pack. That's fine for playing video but not for decoding it. Download divx, that will handle all your generic mp4 videos in avi containers and vegas will handle the rest internally. If you are rendering use corePNG, this will generate large files but this is preferable because of the loss divx can cause if used with a renderer.
  20. captainslug Member

Windows movie maker and most other packages CANNOT edit formats that are outside of their normal standard. You will need to convert your source video to a format that the software CAN edit.

Windows Movie Maker specifically prefers to edit WMV7 or 8.

To convert your video to an easier to edit codec I recommend SUPER.
    SUPER © .

Once you have it converted to WMV7 or 8 then Windows Movie Maker will have no problem editing it. Other suites will have their own preferred working codec (usually MPEG2).
  21. NotBobMinton Member

bump
  22. anongurl7 Member

+1 for windows movie maker. I made a RIP jett video and got 5k views and mirrored, and message to Davis that got like 2k views and mirrored by anon. I haven't been able to make excellent vids, but that's probably my lack of info and not the programs fault.
  23. DarthXenu Member

Guise, use avidemux for quick shit. Extremely fast for quick edits opening saving and format changing. Its open software, works in linux

Avidemux - Main Page
  24. Anon-007 Member

Hi Chappie,

Video and multimedia is one of my 'hobbies', and you really need some professional software like Sony Vegas to do a half decent job.

If you check your PMs, I've sent you a link to something that will make your life a lot easier (call it a belated Christmas prezzie, lol)

Install it as per the PM instructions, and then load your video footage in.

To add text, take a look at this short video (you'll be able to do it in five minutes):

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3RsA-LgsPQQ]YouTube - Add text titles in Sony Vegas & Movie Studio[/ame]

Shout if you have any questions.
  25. ScudMuffin Member

iMovie '06, has enough features and is easy to use. Also you can dl for free from apple if you hack about with your terminal a bit ;)
  26. Anon_1HG Member

Premier Elements 4.0 FTW

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5gYLJXSEZ8&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Message to Tommy Davis Scientologist[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icze32cCBZc&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Anonymous World Wide Protest against Scientology October 18 2008[/ame]