Customize

Video proof of Jett Travolta's autism

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by Madame_Guillotine, Nov 16, 2008.

1. lucy1995 Member

Re: Video proof of Jett Travolta's autism

There are some very good posts on this thread and much food for thought. Like the Moms have said, unless you live autism, you really can't get a handle on it. It is a very complicated situation and each one is different, while remaining the same. Autism is no longer the "dreaded" hide away situation that it once was. We are learning more and more about it on a daily basis. Yes it is tough when you have a child who is outbursting with tears or rage. Sometimes they are truly inconsolable. . . . . . you play the waiting game and it passes, usually. It is a balancing act with most. You have to know when to push and when to back off. I work with autism in a primary public education system and also in a Special Ed enviroment and four different children. It ranges from Asbergers, PDD to true Autism. They are all the same in some respects but each have their own uniqueness. Any further funding and/or research on the syndrome can only be a plus but in order to support it, you have to believe it to be true. I am hopeful that the Travolta's will help with that cause.
  2. LettyVLO Member

DWest~ As a matter of fact we tried Tegretal first. He was on a high dose as well. He became very sick, no appetite, and jaundice (he was obvious yellow) But very aggressive.
  3. Lourdes11 Member

Hi Letty- I am also a mum to a son with Autism and I was wondering -do you not get angry that Jetts parents have never admitted he has Autism and if not why? I think it is an insult to all people with Autism everywhere. Thats what we are trying to get away from-covering it up and being Shamed for it. Also exactly how much money do you think they could have thrown at Research for Autism instead of the stupid Cult that steals all? Now a foundation for Kawasaki's?? PLEASE!!
    I understand you are a good mum and you are trying to do your best- but I don't think you get why we are outraged.
  4. gems4ever Member

I went looking on the Net for more info. on Jett Travolta and eventually landed here and read most of the posts. I looked at the video provided here and to be honest all I saw on the video was a very protective John Travolta and a boy who showed signs of a mental disorder. But I suspected that from the pictures recently posted on the Net, that is why I went looking for more info. to see if I was right. After reading allot of posts on the Net and here it seems many are pushing the case for Autism. I don't know much about this condition so I am not claiming to be an expert at all. However, couldn't it be possible that what the Travolta's have claimed is true?

The reasoning behind this is two fold - 1- an old co-worker years ago had told me about Kawaski as her son had caught it when he was a toddler after she had shampooed her carpets and she warned me about it because my daughter was a toddler at the time. He was treated and I met him when he was 9 and he was perfectly healthy and normal. So that part of the Travolta's story is plausible. Secondly-I have a neighbor who is now in her 50's who if you were to meet her you would think she is mentally retarded. However, she is very able to carry on conversation just slowly. She has been suffering from seizures (Grand Mal) since childhood. She wasn't born that way she got sick as a toddler and had a high fever. By the time they were able to treat her she had already suffered some brain damage and has been taking heavy duty meds ever since which has further added to her mental disability.

So isn't it plausible that Jett suffered a high fever as a toddler, perhaps from Kawaski, which caused some amount of brain damage? And it may not be Autism at all? Most Autistic children I have seen on tv look physically normal, it's their behavior that is different. Jett didn't look "normal" no offense to the Travolta's or Jett. I didn't know anything about him till they announced his death and when I saw pictures of him I suspected that there was more to his death than an accidental fall and head injury because he just didn't look normal. Then I found out that he had seizures that they were trying to tie in with Kawaski's. But I feel there is more to it than that. But in any case it is a tragic loss and I don't feel it's right to right away go blaming his parents irregardless of there religion, which I don't agree with, but I don't feel we should persecute them for this tragedy. And if they didn't feel like announcing it to the world his medical condition don't they have that right? They may have been doing it more for him than themselves. I don't think they were ashamed of him, but, more so protective of him and wanting a certain degree of privacy. They may be celebrities, but their children are not and didn't have a choice of who they were being born to.

I just thought I would put in my two cents for food for thought.
  5. eddieVroom Member

My feelings on the matter: Maybe. So far as seizures are concerned, however, the fact that he had serious and frequent Grand Mals seems uncontested, and THIS is the relevant issue in charges of Neglect and/or Negligent Homicide being raised in these forums. The Autism aspect goes more toward the environment this occured in ($cientology beliefs), IMO.
  6. Lourdes11 Member

A lot of Autistic people do look slightly "different" especially when they are flapping or stimming . Jet had no speach whatsoever. There is many things he displayed that were Autistic like behaviours - and according to alot of sourses here and otherwise -not caused by Kawasaki's. The reason to be upset if they covered it up- is not only because it's wrong but indeed it illustrates the power the church have over people- that is why it is important. They are not bad people- but they have let the church influence their decision making in regards to this issue- yes it is only my opinion- but I am sure other people out there agree- my son's father was a scientologist and still is- He left us when we got the diagnosis and asked me not to speak of it to anyone as it conflicted with the "views of the church"- I tols him to BITE ME :)
  7. Re: Video proof of Jett Travolta's autism

Hey guys.

While I believe the Travolta's loved their son, as any parent loves a child, I find it upsetting that they could not bring themselves to bring him to someone who could diagnose him. They had nothing to be ashamed of. I just don't understand how two, mature adults can't handle that. My parents were only in their mid-twenties when my sister got diagnosed and they didn't even batter an eyelid, they got her what she needed (and there was a LOT of court cases involved in getting her what she needed) I mean, I feel for them, honestly I do.
    I know how awful it is to bring the child out to a shopping centre and have a temper tantrum thrown because they can't communicate with you, but that's my life. That's my family's life and we didn't choose it and we would do anything to change it for me sister but we accepted it and we're doing whatever we can for her and I'm proud to report, 8 years ago my parents were told she would never walk or talk and the child can walk and the child can communicate and I can't tell you how it nearly makes me cry when I hear her calling me or singing along to the radio because I'm so proud of her. I was never ashamed of her, there were times I was embarassed over her behaviour but if people don't understand her behaviour-I don't care, they can get lost. As far as I can see, I'm a better person because of her.
    So what I'm trying to say is, if the Travolta's were ashamed of their son's autism, what sort of message does that send out? It is nothing to be ashamed of and if Scientology is teaching people to be ashamed of it, then I think that it's founder was an idiot.

Lourdes11: my son's father was a scientologist and still is- He left us when we got the diagnosis and asked me not to speak of it to anyone as it conflicted with the "views of the church"- I tols him to BITE ME :)

^^^Good response. And by the way, you're right, about them covering it up and acting ashamed and as well as research wise (which didn't even hit me until I read your post) , I was thinking in terms of they are sending out the wrong message about autism.
  8. LettyVLO Member

No, I do not get angry at the Travolta's. It is their decision to treat Jett's condition. John & Kelly took responsibility in their son's life. They loved him, and provided protective supervision for Jett. And it's their money.
    As I wrote before, I know many parents of severe autistic child/teen who choose not to put them on meds & they are not scientologist.
    And you don't have to be a scientologist to in denial. Example: I have a cousin with a 7 yr old child who obvious has attention deficit hyperactive disorder. The child cannot keep still or quiet. Her intense energy boombard. The teacher, school psychologist spoke with her. And she refuses to believe something is wrong with her daughter and won't go seek him because she feels her daughter is fine.
    So John & Kelly didn't believe their son had autism, They loved him and provided for him.
  9. AnonyK23 Member

And how many responsible parents of EPILEPTIC children eschew medication?

It takes more than one med trial to get placed on the ketogenic diet or to get an evaluation for surgery/VNS. Those are the only other medically accepted treatments for epilepsy.
  10. gems4ever Member

In regards to Jett's serious seizures and the Travolta's neglect of this...they have admitted to him receiving meds for this in the past and it was so unsuccessful they took him off the meds back then. I have read nothing stating for fact that Jett was not on any meds in the recent past times. So can we really say for sure the Travolta's were not treating Jett for his condition? As for taking meds for seizures it is very difficult to fine tune them to where the person suffers less seizures and is able to somewhat function in a normal capacity. Again, I use my neighbor for example, whom I have known well for 16 yrs now, since being neighbors she has been on various drugs and now has reached the point where she is constantly depressed and lethargic and sits around all day watching tv, literally. She still gets the seizures and blacks out. During the past several years she has had 4 car accidents and still after some time on suspension gets her DL back and continues to drive. I'm just saying that there has been no real evidence that the Travolta's have been neglectful in refusing meds for their son, or at least I haven't heard or read anything to that effect other than speculation. Recently Cruiz said on the View that it is not true that Scientology is against meds or treatment that they very much so support getting your health issues in order. Now whether that is true or not I don't know, he may have only been a mouth piece. I do know that they have strange practices. I knew a co-worker who had joined them to meet people and told us some very bizare practices, eventually they kicked him out because he was too disagreeable. So I am not advocating Scientology but don't know enough about it for fact as to what they require their members to do or not. Then again I am a very independent thinking person and can't see or understand how anyone can allow themselves to be controlled especially in light of how you treat your family. My kid is sick or hurt I take her to the doctors and then if I a not satisfied argue with them and take her to another doctor and so on. I would also get on the Net and do my own research. I recommend understanding something about what may be wrong with you before seeing a doctor. I recently read a poll that hospitals and doctors are now 3 on the list of causes of death and serious injury. I just believe that we should get the facts first before condemning these parents. Perhaps I am naive.
  11. rof Member

not a chance, baby

you got it goin' on
  12. pardmepard Member

It is not just that the meds that are an issue with the autism or epilepsy, it the whole education and rehabilitation process that was neglected, because they refused to believe he had autism and if the epilepsy wasn't so obvious, they would have denied that too.

Also, Just like we need dox and anonymous WWP expect dox before it is accepted as proof,

I have to tell the travolta's on the giving him meds part, dox or stfu.
  13. gems4ever Member

Again, I haven't met any personally, I am going by what I have seen on documentaries about Autism. You say they look different when flapping or stimming...that is behavioral. If you take a snapshot of them they look normal. When I first saw a picture of Jett with his family I immediately said there is something wrong with this kid. That was before I knew anything about him. All I knew about the Travoltas was that they had kids, last I heard a boy and a girl, and that John is also a pilot. Hadn't heard anything about illnesses till now. I suspect Kawasaki's may not have been the culprit here either but more so some kind of birth defect. Although I recently saw a picture of Jett as a toddler and there he looked normal for a toddler...so don't know what really has happened to him. But I still don't believe they tried to keep it a secret because of shame. You haven't seen all that much about their daughter either! I just think they are a very private family and try to separate family affairs from celebrity-hood as much as possible. I really don't think it is shame...you have seen pictures on tv and the Net of them as a family and you could see there was allot of love there. It seems they provided him with everything he needed. If he did have a mental disorder of some kind, which I believe he did, there aren't any cures as of yet and some of the treatments can be worse than the condition.
  14. pardmepard Member

This doesn't negate the fact that were/are in denial thanks to scientology lrh doctrine.

When the treatments are found to be worse, find another treatment with less side effects.
    Solution is oblivious to most everyone.

The Travolta's will never admit that their Son is/was a victim of scientology discriminatory doctrine and beliefs.
  15. gems4ever Member

I think you are making allot of assumptions here and claiming them to be facts. At this point in time we don't know for a fact what Jett's medical condition was nor what sort of treatment he has had throughout his life , if any. John has stated he had Kawasakis when he was 2 and was treated for it, but has never said from what I have researched that he still has it. All that is known is that he has been suffering from a condition that causes seizures. John has not denied that his son suffered from some kind of disorder. If he is supposed to be in denial because of scientology doctrine then would he admit as much? It sounds like allot of people here want John to admit his son was autistic, but what if he wasn't and John knows that, then why should he admit to it. If scientology really wants to ignore people like Jett and John is a devout scientologist then he wouldn't have talked about his son's condition in the first place.

In regards to comments about treatments, I agree with you, but sometimes, and in the case of mental disorders, your choices are limited and it is allot of trial and error. You make it sound as though they could have found a treatment that would help the seizures with little or no side effects. In the case of severe seizures that possibility is almost non existent. It's the same with , not sure of spelling, psytzophrenia. Most of the time to keep it under control they have to be doped up. I heard parents complaining who were treating their kids for the hypher active and ADD disorder that the drugs would make their kids lethargic and almost non-reactive. It's not an easy call nor is it black or white. Some people choose to put up with their illness without drugs because it comes down to quality of life...ie recent interview with Swayzee and Walters. But, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this matter.

P.S. I am also very concerned with the number of children in America who are being treated with drugs for some kind of condition or another and allot of it is for behavioral. Some things that when I was a kid was considered normal. Is there something going wrong with our gene pool or are we getting lazy to put the effort in to being attentative parents?
  16. Re: Video proof of Jett Travolta's autism

Hi Germs4ever,

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion. Nothing you are saying is incorrect in my view, but it seems to me that you are missing an essentional bit of information that is not factored into you viewpoint. Namely, the cult's doctrine on epilepsy. This is the transcript from a video on page 17:

17. Mutante Member

The side effect of Jett's apparently Scientology-led 'treatment' was in fact death.

So when you talk about the side effects of medication, please don't forget to mention what happens when seizure medication is withdrawn from people with seizure disorders.

That is all.
  18. eddieVroom Member

Hence, the need for a formal investigation.

I would welcome a formal investigation into the Travolta's potential criminal neglect in the death of their son, Jett.
  19. DeathHamster Member

They may have received bad medical advice either from one of the few scientologist doctors or the scilon-friendly quacks that parasite them.

If Jett didn't have autism, then I'd like to know which qualified medical professional made that diagnosis.
  20. Lourdes11 Member

!If you knew anything about Autism you would know it doesn't manifest until around 12 mths to 18 mths or later -but then again you haven't had to watch your normal child (which mine was) slide into it Autism and go from a normal toddler to one who is a little to say the least -unlike other kids. The fact they REFUSED to get a diagnosis is yet another indicator of the "churches" influence. Yes they loved him!- but all hell would break loose if they admitted the truth! No there is no cure for Autism -but ! there is more than one medication for seizures- which a lot of Autistic people develop in adolecence- refer to a past post of mine to get a study on the obvious prevalence of this very thing, amongst the Autisitc kids compared to other PDD groups. You know -did it cross your mind that whilst your being all so "fair's- fair's" That you must not know who you are speaking of?? They have started this shit -so to sapeak- I make no aplogy for defending the rights of people with Autism and wanting others to do the same. The proof is all around you!!!
  21. Lourdes11 Member

they didn't try to keep it a secret because of their own shame! They tried to keep it a secret because the cult said it was the source of shame! ie. "People with mental disorders are classed as PTS's -Possible Trouble Sources" unquote! -How DARE THEY even try to presume they KNOW anything about it!!
  22. Mutante Member

Protip: Scientologists in this thread will not adopt a perspective that has anything whatsoever to do with reality.

I hope everyone is reading this superb new Daily Mail article.

Did John Travolta's weird faith seal his son Jett's fate? | Mail Online
  23. TheBitch Member

QFMFT. It is apparent all over the net that $cientologists generally are beginning to react by attempting to paint such illnesses as autism as "social constructions" rather than medical conditions. This is the bailout stance - "your autism is our spiritual issue." Don't be fooled - their "spiritual issue" is the REAL WORLD'S CHILD ABUSE / NEGLECT / HOMICIDE.
  24. LettyVLO Member

:(
  25. Lourdes11 Member

Indeed I did-excellent- yay for someone! :)
  26. egg Member

I've worked with autistic children and know very well what the signs are.....
    autistic children or people don't even look autistic can still have it...
    seizures are a common thing too and parents do give them medication for these things...

autistic people like Jett should have been taken more seriously as you can see that Jett is not looking directly into people's faces but more doing the common things like jet was looking more into the camera's lens as it was getting his attention...

the crinkle hand movements,restless siting and 3 hand guiding is used for a common

this is too weird....

Issac Hayes died from what seems to be a stroke caused by common factors like high blood pressure...which he could have taken medicine for

Now Jett dies from something that can could been treatable...

Does anyone smell something bad or is it me? The strange how stories are told and suddenly change?

Jett deserve a chance in this world....
  27. Mutante Member

LettyVLO, don't be posting photos of your kids on the Internet without thinking it thru m'kay?

If you had the money for full-time carers I hope you would make sure you selected those with suitable medically qualified. I'm sure any responsible parent with lots of money would do no less.

You say there's not much doctors can do for seizures and autism. Really? It sounds like you've had some really bad advice. There are lots of very effective medicines that can help with seizures, and some fantastic support groups who can bring you up to speed with care techniques for autism and they can really help.

You will find LRH made no contribution to any of them.
  28. CamJam Member

Does anyone find the the way she says things and the words she so carefully chose to describe Jett, a bit odd?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X74c-CyCQKY]YouTube - Scientology Memorial Services were held for actor John Travolta's son, Jett Travolta[/ame]

Maybe it's just me looking at it from a different perspective. My one twin son has Autism. He is also "compassionate" and "loving" (in his way) but what the heck does "TENTIVE" mean?

My son also "toe walks", lacks eye contact, in his own world, but he is still a smiling, happy child (on good days) and awesome pics and videos (at just the right time) can be taken of him as well showing just that: a loving, compassionate young boy. But TENTIVE?

Hmmmm
  29. imariscent Member

Funny thing is that Tom Cruise played in a movie, where his brother was Autistic= Rain Man
  30. gems4ever Member

Thank you for your comments, but, I am not really sure of the point you are trying to make, and I am not being sarcastic or argumentative. I saw the video of Hubbard on psychological disorders and drugs and I think he was a kook. I completely disagree with him. For the record I do not defend Scientology. I don't know much about it because I never knew anyone who was a scientologist. I only knew a co-worker over 20 yrs ago who joined to meet people and he told me some of the stuff they were doing to him, he eventually got kicked out. It did sound like they were trying to break the will of people, control them and retrain the way they think. Definitely not my cup of tea.

The point that I have been trying to make here is that shouldn't we get the facts first before crucifying the Travoltas because they are scientologists and there obviously mentally handicapped son just died from a seizure. So do we just automatically blame them for his death because they are scientologist? Some have posted here that scientologists don't acknowledge mental handicap and that John was ashamed of his son for being so. Yet by him admitting that his son had a problem isn't he then already breaking doctrine? And of all that I have seen and heard I don't see John as being ashamed of his son nor neglectful. Sorry I just don't see it. As to what Jett had there is still no evidence brought to light as to what it was. As to whether or not he was receiving treatment we still don't know for a fact on that either. So until the jury doesn't come in shouldn't we refrain from judging and passing down the verdict? Someone mentioned they are all for an investigation , so am I and then we will know the truth and act accordingly. I am not here to debate what is or is not Scientology because I don't know what they are about and I make it a practice not to debate or argue on something I don't know about. I listen then to learn. I really don't care about Scientology because the little I have heard about it, allot of she said -he said, I don't care for it. I do care as to how devout the Travoltas were and did they in fact with-hold treatment for their son because of it. As to arguing about what Jett had it really doesn't make a big difference, bottom line was he was suffering from some sort of mental illness that required some sort of treatment. Leaving someone to suffer seizures big or small is just cruel and negligent. But are they for fact guilty of that? That has been my point all along here.
  31. gems4ever Member

You sound very angry...as though I have personally attacked you or Autism...AND I HAVE NOT! I have been very honest about my limited personal knowledge of the condition. And yes it has crossed my mind as to who I am speaking of. Every coin has 2 sides to it. Do you have concrete proof here you can present to all of us that, yes the Travoltas have denied diagnosis and treatment to their son? Can you present indisputable evidence that Jett was Autistic? Because if you do please do so, so that we can end the back and forth bantering of the subject. We can just have them arrested and put to death. Geee...all I have been saying is that yes Jett suffered from some kind of mental disorder, what it is we don't know for a fact. Did the Travoltas allow their scientological beliefs to intervene with getting him proper medication? We just don't know the facts just allot of heresay and personal opinions. And you don't need to apologize for defending the rights of people with Autism because I am right behind you not just with Autism but any kind of physical or mental disability and for that I highly commend you out of all sincerity.
  32. mrfyde Member

Gems,
    Did the Travoltas allow their beliefs to interfear ? well that is the question here isn't it ? If it was autism or epilepsy (a.k.a. seizure disorder) the two however do go hand in hand.

We do know that Jett's mother was active in protesting drug companies for distributing the types of drugs her son was said to be on. We do know that most doctors would know not to take someone off Depakote without putting them on something else and most likely not take them off medication all together. Especially if he had not been seizure free for over 24 months.

We do know that the cult's founder said that epilepsy drugs are just sedatives (he was wrong) and that it is the job of the auditor to tell the person to go off the medication.

We also know that both parents are high profile scientologists. Who will not even admit the kid had epilepsy (likely because of their beliefs) we also have at least three different conflicting accounts of what happened between Jan. 1st and the time Jett arrived at the hospital.

So is it the police reports and the death certificate that you are calling hearsay?

The facts are the police say Jett was last seen going into the bathroom the night before (only travolta's staff and lawyers say otherwise) The death certificate says the kid died of epilepsy a condition that goes hand in hand with the autism diagnosis that was suggested in this thread over a month BEFORE jett's death.

Should we wait for the two very "public" parents to come forward and admit wrong doing that goes against their beliefs and be labeled hypocrites and child abusers ? and possibly bring down their very aggressive "church" (that Travolta likely gets millions in commissions from) at the same time ?
  33. Mutante Member

Essential viewing for everyone in this thread.

34. Re: Video proof of Jett Travolta's autism

Sorry, that's incorrect because slack features are quite a common trait of autism and in my sister's school, specialised for children with autism, you would know that they have autism. When they are younger they can look as you put it physically normal and this is why a lot of them are not diagnosed until people realise that their child isn't communicating with them. A picture I found of feet showed him walking on his tippy-toes, not saying this proves it but it is a trait of autism. And then again, with some autistic people it doesn't affect them physically at all and some it can affect them to make it very obvious but just to clear that up not all autistic people look "normal"
  35. Mutante Member

36. LettyVLO Member

Mutante~What the HELL are you talking about? Effective medicine and support groups who can bring me up to speed with care techniques for AUTISM??? Wow now that sounds wonderul, why didn't I think about that? ( in case you couldn't tell that was sarcasm )
    I am a mother of a 16 year old severely autistic son, I have tried medication, occupational therapy, speech therapy, gluten free diet, music therapy, pecs, sensory intergration therapy, behavior therapy, APA applied behavioral analysis,
    and support groups lots and lost of support groups, confrences.
    Don't talk down to me with autism. Cause people like you are ignorant people, who feel as if parents with disabilities aren't doing enough for their children.
    Who gives a shit in LRH made any contribution. He was a stupid dumb ass!
  37. Buttons Member

LettyVLO-

Please stay calm.
    Mutante is not currently logged on to this board and can not respond to your post.

He/she was only trying to help. Please consider world- wide time zones represented on this forum, and allow time for him/her to respond.

No one on this board is trying to diminish your role as a parent of a child with special needs and the unique challenges that you face. (fear, uncertainty, exhaustion, etc...)

Although I am tempted to respond to your post, please wait for Mutante to log on and respond.

Because he/she (anonymous) does it so well.
  38. anyjane Member

What Buttons said, please chill.

Mutante gave you a good internet safety tip.

Before you claim ignorance of "us people", please LURK MOAR.
  39. Innocent44 Member

All I can say is: In your fucking face, John Travolta.
    If your son had medical care, he'd still be alive.
    Scientology kills.
  40. whoever Member

I believe she said "attentive." As in "heedful of the comfort of others."