Customize

Village Voice: Scientology Targeted South Park's Parker and Stone in Investigation

Discussion in 'Media' started by AnonLover, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

A friend of mine had the FBI digging in her trash once (her boss was under investigatory (later convicted) and -- to make matters worse: she is also a paranoid OCDer). She used to leave all sorts of "packages" and long vitriol notes in her garbage.
  2. heatberd Member

• Like Like x 5
  3. Sponge Member

• Like Like x 6
  4. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

6. AnonLover Member

MediaBlitz.jpg

ya just gotta luv it!
    • Like Like x 3
  7. anoninoob Member

[IMG]

they just can't accept that the jig is up. Their secrets are out, their fresh meat has dried up, their parishoners are leaving and noone is afraid of them anymore. There is no positive scientology news reported beyond their own practically inbreed, interior echo chamber.

they are finished, it's only a matter of when it'll collapse.
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Anonymous Member

It's not over until the last org is foreclosed, Miscavige and his accomplices are in jail, every victim is compensated with interest, and the Scientology corporation is bankrupt.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. xenubarb Member

What makes you think Hayes had any inkling? Voice talent does their thing in recording studios, cartoons aren't recorded live. If Hayes didn't have a part in that particular episode (and he didn't) it's likely he wasn't aware of it until it was "out of the closet."

He left the show soon after, only to crap out on a treadmill, unsupervised, and probably against medical recommendation.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Triumph Member

ScientologyAdvocateMarkMiglio Just now in reply to TonyOrtega

^^^ facepalm* hes on this kick again!

the story was picked up by Reuters News service....
    look for it in print in hundreds of News papers across the country and globe
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/24/us-southpark-idUSTRE79N78Z20111024
  11. AnonLover Member

I would very much like to imprison Tony Ortega in a matrix with ...[redacted]...

oh wait, i don't think that's quite what Marcotai meant ;)
    • Like Like x 3
  12. iraniam Member

For Matt Stone and Trey Parker, nothing is holy or immune to satire. And since the launch of their groundbreaking animated TV series "South Park," they've skewered a multitude of world religions, pointing out hypocrisies, inanities or just playing with ridiculous stereotypes. One of their most famous religious satires, 2005's Scientology-targeting "Trapped In The Closet" episode, allegedly struck such a nerve with the church's leaders that the group responded by targeting Stone, Parker and their friends in a long-term covert investigation.
    Marty Rathbun, a former Church of Scientology executive-turned-critic and independent worshipper, revealed to the Village Voice a number of documents that detailed the religious sect's detailed surveillance of the Emmy-winning TV moguls. Through the help of informants, public records and various other means, they searched for "vulnerabilities" in the pair's personal lives, and after exploring their personal and business connections, widened their focus to investigating actors such as John Stamos, as well.
    "Phone records. Bank records. Personal letters that expose some kind of vulnerability," Rathbun told the Voice. "They'll read stuff into the kind of alcohol you're drinking and how much. Prescriptions. They'll figure out your diet. They can find out a lot about you through your trash."
    Rathbun's personal site leads with a post that includes more information, including this summary: "In ’06 the creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, became targets of Corporate Scientology’s OSA. Operations were run in an attempt to silence Parker and Stone. While Corporate Scientology was ultimately unsuccessful, left behind an instructive data trail during their efforts."
    "Trapped in the Closet" featured a storyline that had Stan, one of the four children that make up the show's core, take a "personality test" after being encountered on the street by a group of Scientologists. The vague test reveals that he is miserable, which leads him to agree to pay the church to make him happy again. An "E-meter" reading reveals that he is housing the soul of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, and various Hollywood celebrities who are members of the church flock to his home to help convince him to become their new leader.
    One of those celebrities included Tom Cruise, who locks himself in a closet, which was a clear allusion to various rumors about his sexuality. John Travolta, another member of the church, soon joined him in the closet. Stan's friends tell him that the religion is actually a cult, pointing out that Hubbard was a science fiction writer, though he at first refuses to believe it. Eventually, the Scientology elders reveal that the church is a for-profit con, calling their own religion "crap."
    Cruise was so incensed by the episode that he allegedly threatened to not participate in promotion for "Mission: Impossible III" junket if a re-run of the episode was aired; Viacom owns both Comedy Central and Paramount, the studio that put out the film. Cruise's reps denied this, though the episode was indeed pulled. Stone and Parker, for their part, put out a satirical statement on the matter:
    "So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"
    "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."

Rathbun teased more documents, which reveal major advances in their investigations, would come soon. He was arrested in September, allegedly at the behest of the Church of Scientology, though charges were later dropped; the Voice reported then that the Church of Scientology was harassing him, in part because he practices the faith outside of the official Church.
    "South Park" satirizes religion in just about every episode (click here for a slide show of ten of their most memorable). The show has cast Satan as the cowardly lover of Saddam Hussein, while Kyle, another of the four core children, comes from a very stereotypical Jewish family. Parker and Stone also created the Broadway show, "Book of Mormon," which pokes fun at that religion.
    For more, click over to the Village Voice; to watch the "Trapped In The Closet" episode, click here.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...ate-south-park_n_1027538.html?ref=mostpopular
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

Really, do tell?
  14. Anonymous Member

15. Anonymous Member

Ah be nice, he rarely gets to this side of the Atlantic.
  16. rEVOLution Member

Trey and Matt are freaking geniuses.

Also, I didn't know CoS had investigated their personal life. These guys are morons.
  17. Triumph Member

gamewq.jpg
    so much for noisy investigations
    • Like Like x 5
  18. James Spader Member

Merged threads.
  19. Anonymous Member

According to Roger Friedman, you're right.
    "As recently as early January, before his stroke, Hayes defended the "South Park" creators in an interview with “The AV Club,” the serious side of the satirical newspaper, The Onion.
    AV Club: They did just do an episode that made fun of your religion, Scientology. Did that bother you?
    Hayes: Well, I talked to Matt [Stone] and Trey [Parker] about that. They didn't let me know until it was done. I said, 'Guys, you have it all wrong. We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that [expletive], you know?' But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses and understand what we do. [Laughs.]

According to Friedman, Hayes isn't even the one who quit the show.
    "Isaac Hayes did not quit "South Park." My sources say that someone quit it for him.
    I can tell you that Hayes is in no position to have quit anything. Contrary to news reports, the great writer, singer and musician suffered a stroke on Jan. 17. At the time it was said that he was hospitalized and suffering from exhaustion."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,188463,00.html
  20. Triumph Member

the Independent
    Apostate and a Liar
    by Guy Adams
    http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2011/10/25/“apostate”-and-“liar”-the-church-of-scientology-confronts-a-critic/

keep whacking that beehive Karen!
    • Like Like x 3
  21. heatberd Member

22. heatberd Member

I have a headache.
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Anonymous Member

cult film hack Eric Sherman
    [IMG]
    what are your crimes Matt and Trey?
  24. EyeOnSci Member

LOL
  25. Etain Member

Just read this comment over at HuffPo.

Scary. Poor guy.

Pooned him with links to here and the ex-Sci message board.
  26. Triumph Member

• Like Like x 3
  27. AnonLover Member

Some interesting comments from TonyO on his facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tony-Ortega/196428147077253

• Like Like x 3
  28. Anoobymous Member

I sent TYT a msg thanking them for covering the story. Never hurts.
    • Like Like x 2
  29. Etain Member

This story has gotten so many legs it's spawned an army of millipedes!
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Robocat Member

http://perezhilton.com/2011-10-25-t...r-vulnerabilities-in-their-lives#.TqZzsLJluuI

church-of-scientology-vs-south-park__oPt.jpg

Those are some IN-TENSE enemies you've got there, South Park! Hell, pretty soon they're going to have their own Super Power Building!

We were seriously creeped out to learn that the Church of Scientology reportedly launched an investigation against South Park through "informants, public records, and various other means" in an effort to search for "vulnerabilities" in Trey Parker and Matt Stone's lives. WTF?!?

Even though the Church wasn't able to do any serious damage to the South Park creators and their show, they WERE able to get the Scientology-themed episode Trapped in the Closet taken off the air.

How did they pull that off, you might ask? Tom Cruise allegedly refused to promote Mission: Impossible III if the episode was EVER aired on Comedy Central as a re-run.
    Here's what Trey and Matt wrote in response:

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!
    Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu
    ."
  31. Etain Member

A request, guise!

When you comment, please post a link to 'The Chanology Papers' and spread it around. I want as many people as possible to read the informative, beautiful manga so carefully and lovingly drawn by our own JapanAnon and posted by Anonymous10.

Please spread it around! People need to see a clear visual on what exactly happens to those who are drawn into Scientology!

Just be sure to tell them to click on the chapter 1 cover page.

http://the-chanology-papers.deviantart.com/
    • Like Like x 4
  32. Robocat Member

You're spamming now?
  33. Etain Member

Uh, no not really.

Just want to get the word out about the webpage. I didn't think of it until just a short time ago.

No spam, just mention it in the same manner you would mention xenu.net, etc.

Sorry it comes across that way.
  34. Anonymous Member

35. Anonymous Member

I actually picked up some confirmed signatures for the petition yesterday from spamming it on the articles on this. Actually would have been better to strategically drop this a few days earlier, would have made a mad rush for the petition. But it's all good.
  36. Anonymous Member

37. AnonLover Member

• Like Like x 1
  38. AnonLover Member

• Like Like x 2
  39. AnonLover Member

Mmmmmm... there's nothing quite like the smell of axe grinding right before lunch.

130200707611.jpg
    • Like Like x 5