Customize

Volunteer Minister's Handbook, 1979 edition

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by kiyiyi2, Mar 24, 2008.

1. kiyiyi2 Member

Volunteer Minister's Handbook, 1979 edition

Oh hay guise I saw a huge book on the "junk books" pile at a local used bookshop the other day, and I picked it up for $4. It is 697 pages of insanity and poo, and the many photo-dioramas are absolutely hilarious. Here is one of them. (My apologies for the lousy camera-phone pictures, to which I have added the actual text -- I've got to get me a real camera!) My question, though, is this: Does anyone know of something disturbing or incriminating etc. that might have been removed from subsequent editions of this book, yet would still appear in this one? This is actually the 1976 edition, 1979 printing.

2yz0qcm.jpg
  2. ARC Break Member

Re: Volunteer Minister's Handbook, 1979 edition

Hilarious. The Scientologist points out the mother in law is the problem (wow, you need special training to figure that out). Then he enjoys the fruits of his labour as he sits and watches as the couple starts to make out.

Nice.
  3. MollyBloom Member

You don't have a scanner by any chance? hehehehehe

Yes, ARC, that is so freaking obvious.
  4. kiyiyi2 Member

I have access to a scanner, but unfortunately it's B & W scanner... I need to scale up a bit in the home "tech" department! Maybe I'll give the B & W a try for now, but part of the joy is seeing the sickening dampened/inhibited colors.

5. XenuLovesU Member

Orange shag carpeting is the root of all evil.

Speaking of shag, did the next page show a menage a trois? God, I hope not.
  6. Whanonstler Member

So the fruit of his training is vouyerism? Shit I don't need training, I can go to half a dozen clubs if I want to scratch that itch!

Those pictures are so bad, and the text- as always- reads so piss poor as if no editor had ever become a scifag!
  7. ANON E MOOSE Member

oh man, why do i think there should be a ??? between pic 2 and 3.

Also look at the woman cowering in pic two, like she just got pistol whipped.
    Was there a missing panel 3 of her introspection rundown?
  8. Burnt2 Member

awesome, lol
  9. kiyiyi2 Member

There's another diorama sequence in which someone's restaurant is failing, the place is in shambles, and the owner is completely puzzled. Volunteer Sinister Minister intervenes, "applies tech," and figures out that the Chef is actually putting Poison in the food! He points this out to owner PLUS calls police, who are dragging the Chef away in handcuffs.

It couldn't have been: The Chef was not very good, or the Chef was too stoned, or something slightly plausible. He was putting POISON in the spaghetti sauce!
  10. Whanonstler Member

It didn't help the restaurant owner that he looked like Ron "the Hedgehog" Jeremy!
  11. kiyiyi2 Member

No, that was the whole scenario! and yes, the offending lady was cowering!

I actually thought she represented the couple's friend, who perhaps the husband was seeing on the side (thus, she is to blame). But perhaps she is the mother in law.

12. anonangl Member

Talk about creepy!!!! Guess that makes me kinda sick cause now I wanna see the whole book for giggles, then again maybe an acid wash for my eyes would be better, lol.
  13. kiyiyi2 Member

Hey, you have the book too? Cuz it's true!

14. Dubber Member

That must be why recent Scientology handbook illustrations always have that plain, saturated look -- to keep them from going out of fashion.
  15. Spangly Member

They never go out of fashion because they're never IN fashion! :D
  16. Dubber Member

That gives us an interesting process to run on Scilon handlers, though. "Who sent you out here to argue with me? Who's the third party? Your case supervisor, your ethics officer?" etc.

Also, "Have you been told that Anonymous was bad? What was said? Who said it?"
  17. 5025 Member

I scanned all the pictures and put them here. My favorites are the computer programmer and the restaurant poison ones.

http://lrh-vmh.blogspot.com/
  18. Anonabliss Member

Why do I have this sudden urge to watch a Monty Python flick?
  19. Dubber Member

Too obvious to resist:

2qmgabb.jpg

I think someone posted a few of these on SA a couple years ago. I remember seeing the shooting up photo before.
  20. 404-Man Member

Scientology makes hippies sit on chairs. And wear normal clothes.
  21. kiyiyi2 Member

Cool, it's the same book I have! Hideous = Hilarious!

22. Dubber Member

BTW Chuck Murray, who is shown in the book and created the VM program, apparently managed to keep enough of his sanity to get out about a year after this book was printed. He apparently was already skeptical about LRH and I figure Operation Snow White brought him around.

That's something you can tell the yellowshirts next time you see them.
  23. exOT8Michael Member

These cheesy photos were taken on the garage roof of the Fort Harrison Hotel in Clearwater in 1976. Hence full sunlight in a living room.

The whole set of photos is worse than original 1-800 Dentist ads.

Yowww.
  24. ANON E MOOSE Member

oh wow. hahaha.The computer operator one is a gem.

Gotta love the 60's batman style labels.
  25. kiyiyi2 Member

OK, so on this topic again, hoping to find things within the book that are disturbing, illegal, or at least at variance with current OFFICIAL policy, I submit the following from p. 270, "PTS/SP Pack":

To summarize troublesome persons, the policy in general is to cut communication as the longer it is extended the more trouble they are to us. I know of no case where the types of persons listed above [a variety of categories of PTS including (a), "marital or familial ties"] were handled by auditing or instruction. I know of many cases where they were handled by firm legal stands, by ignoring them until they change their minds, or just turning one's back.

[....]

All the above sources of trouble are also forbidden training and when a person being trained or audited is detected to belong under the above headings(a) to (j) he or she should be advised to terminate and accept refund which must be paid at once and the full explanation should be given to them at that time.

Anything in this that could be fun to put in front of their faces? I know that they now say Disconnection is an individual, voluntary thing, but HubbLard says it's the "policy in general."