Customize

were do we stand on gun control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riggymortis, Feb 15, 2013.

1. riggymortis Member

i went to a mass protest CT Gun Rally.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. Anonymous Member

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/02/a-letter-from-kim-jong-un.html

4. riggymortis Member

thanks for the threads
  5. Anonymous Member

6. Kilia Member

Since I live in Alaska, I like my guns. However, I don't think that anyone outside of the military needs to have an assault rifle. Really...
    • Like Like x 2

7. Why? Do you suddenly believe the govt that anonymous regularly rails against is more trustworthy than the regular person like yourself with a gun? I came here hoping that anonymous was consistent and if not to beg them to be when it came to this. I do not see why law abiding citizens are somehow less responsible than say, LAPD or NYPD or even the Chicago PD. All of these organizations have HISTORIES of abusing citizens and their power yet the regular person on the street cannot have the same weapons they have access to, to defend themselves from the same criminals. That makes no logical sense. Totally aside from the fact that an "assault weapon" is a regular rifle with plastic "bling" basically. When someone says noone should own an assault rifle they show their ignorance (not stupidity) i am hoping now that i have informed you what an actual assault rifle is you refuse to be stupid because stupidity is knowing the truth but ignoring it for your own feelings and leanings.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

^^stupid
  9. Anonymous Member

We need guns smart enough to detect screwballs and crooks.
  10. Anonymous Member

@OP: We stand exactly the way we where.
  11. Tourniquet Member

No one who can't shoot at what they're aiming with five or six bullets needs access to 30 or 50 or 100 at rapid discharge rates. They're trying to fly before they can walk.

Me, I shoot what I aim at, and full-carry a large-calibre revolver nowadays ( < has permit). I also happen to like target shooting with a .357 :)

"A good man knows his limitations."
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Anonymous Member

13. Anonymous Member

^^post is a perfect example of why some idiots shouldn't have guns.
  14. A.O.T.F Member

Where do we stand on gun control - As far away from the fucking things as possible.
  15. Anonymous Member

Maybe if you dickhead yanks stop acting like complete fucking loons and stop shooting the shit out of everything, your cops would have no reason to walk around armed to the teeth! Good behaviour in society breeds dividends. It's not fucking hard to work out (well, for a yank it is)
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Anonymous Member

Gun control = hitting what ya aim at.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Chipshotz Member

Isn't the NRA's position of everyone should have a gun equal to every country should have nukes?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

Well... notice that the countries the US won't invade already have nukes. Must be something to it.
  19. Anonymous Member

No - there are a number of persons here opposed to any form of gun control.

They don't agree that the mentally ill should be prevented from owning guns.

Personally I think that gun control laws where some basic background checks - e.g. for sanity, non-criminality, etc - are enforced, are a good idea. It sounds as though you do too. But there are some people here on WWP parroting the NRA's "from my cold dead hands" line, that any form of gun control is both unconstitutional and immoral.
  20. Anonymous Member

You might, I don't.
  21. Anonymous Member

people have rights. Countries do not. So no, the comparison isn't apt

But, as someone noted, having a nuke is a pretty good deterrent against being invaded.
  22. Anonymous Member

Wrong.
    http://untreaty.un.org/ilc/texts/2_1.htm
    http://untreaty.un.org/ilc/texts/instruments/english/draft articles/2_1_1949.pdf

Any other stupid arguments? Ah....

A fine argument for nuclear proliferation. Which is a bad thing and would be a fucking stupid policy.
  23. Anonymous Member

I love that you quote politicians to explain rights.

The UN does not grant rights. No person or group of people grant us our rights. Either 'rights' has no meaning (my thought) or they are natural rights. Rights from government are NOT rights, they are permissions. You may need permission to live your life. I don't.

Rights are individual. It hardly matters what a bunch of politicians said about rights, they are the ones we need to protect our rights from.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. betterunsaid Member

i know im a newb but i thought this was awsome and might be refreashing to see a cop get schooled on his own laws his tryin to enforce
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

And you're the person that gets to define those, and all the world must abide by your definition, for no other reason that you (with your godlike powers of discernment) are the person making it.

Rather than using the UN's definition, which is the closest thing we have to a world legal definition of human rights.

Have I got that right? Your own definition is the only one that counts, and the one you want to impose on the rest of the world?

What an arrogant, self-centred attitude.
  26. Anonymous Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_of_Man
  27. Anonymous Member

28. Anonymous Member

I'm curious. Are you aware of the difference between the rights as embodied in the US constitution and rights as embodied by the UN Charter? Can you explain the differences, then explain why you prefer the UN version of rights to the US version?
    tia
  29. Anonymous Member

30. PresidentShaw Member

• Like Like x 2
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Senate blocks expanded gun sale background checks

The Associated Press, April 17, 2013

Senate Republicans, backed by rural-state Democrats, blocked legislation Wednesday to tighten restrictions on the sale of firearms, rejecting personal pleas made by families of the victims of last winter's mass elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn.

Attempts to ban assault-style rifles and high capacity ammunition magazines also faced certain defeat in a series of showdown votes four months after a gunman killed 20 elementary school children and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary.

The background check measure commanded a majority of senators, 54-46, but that was well short of the 60 votes needed to advance. Forty-one Republicans and five Democrats sided together to scuttle the plan.

www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/senate-blocks-expanded-gun-sale-background-checks/a16b3da829e34c05ab9ead2f9d63e7fd
  32. jonnyfreeze Member

33. jonnyfreeze Member

34. moarxenu Member

Just two words: MOLON LABE

motivator57088811.jpg
  35. The U.S. gov does not want americans to have guns(mainly assualt rifles) for one reason: they want our guns so we cannot defend ousselves from them, the us gov.. Most gun crimes are commited with handguns and they are much more easy to hide, but a assualt rifle is more effective on a battlefield, that is why they are focused on them. This country is heading for dictatorship or something worse.
  36. Anonymous Member

Lol just lol

And I suppose a few good citizens armed with assault weapons would have stopped the marathon bomber too eh!
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

Ron Conway pledges to oust senators who rejected background checks | SFGate

By James Temple

Legendary tech investor and political mover Ron Conway has a stern warning for the 54 senators who rejected an amendment to expand background checks on firearms sales on Wednesday, a vote that flew in the face of public opinion.

“We will employ the most sophisticated social media campaign ever built to remove these people from office,” he said in an interview with The Chronicle.

“Mark my words,” he said. “It is shameful and the United States of America should be embarrassed by its Senate.”

Known as the godfather of Silicon Valley, Conway is a longtime angel investor who has plugged money into Google, Twitter, Square and countless other well-known companies. Increasingly, however, he has also been flexing political power in San Francisco and elsewhere.

He was a mover in the industry’s campaign to kill the much despised Stop Online Piracy Act in late 2011, considered a political coming of age moment for the tech sector.

In the interview, Conway pledged to help build a similar initiative behind gun control, one that would tap into the industry’s political power and social media prowess to ensure the senators who voted against the measure aren’t reelected. He noted that polls show 90 percent of the public supports background checks.

“Our Congress has ceased to be representative,” he said. “It is up to the citizens to remove those people who don’t represent them.”

Continued at
    http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/20...oust-senators-who-rejected-background-checks/
  38. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  39. jonnyfreeze Member

Is this really ur argument for gun control? the second amendment is there for a reason. if we start altering the constitution and the bill of rights, even little by little, where does it stop? from what I can see it seems it will stop with a complete destruction of our basic freedoms
  40. Anonymous Member

Should nutcases and people with criminal records be allowed to bypass the current checks they would get at a gun store by going to a gun show or buying online?
    • Like Like x 1