Customize

What about shortwave radio?

Discussion in 'Protest Advice' started by Unregistered, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Obviously this is very old-fashioned technology, but that may be an advantage if the Iranian regime does not have a significant capability to home in on shortwave signals. I'm sure the regime is using every available tool to identify and locate those of its citizens who are attempting to maintain contact with the outside world - I don't know how easily shortwave radio signals can be jammed, but if it's not easy to do so, then perhaps this could be a means of transmitting certain kinds of information: eyewitness accounts of incidents, the texts of messages, letters, and documents, etc.
  2. Dereklowe Member

I'm an old SW hand from the 1970s and 1980s. You're right that it's (in general) a dying technology, but it has its uses. It sounds like you're talking about ham-type communications, but I honestly don't know if there's much of that equipment inside Iran these days. And anyone who does have it, unless it's gathering dust in a basement or the like, would be on some sort of registry of call signs or the like.

Another problem is that I believe you can direction-find a transmitter if it's local (ground wave rather than skip), and a decent antenna might also be conspicuous.
  3. We've been receiving Voice Of Justice, thread here http://iran.whyweprotest.net/news-current-events/1989-radio-voice-justice-2009-06-22-a.html so propagation is possible. I'm sure the iranian govt has all the tools they need to jam signals, but something tells me that shortwave transmitting equipment might be sparse, I would bet that there wouldn't even be CB radios operating on shortwave like there are in north america. If someone had a high power Ham or CB running there might be a chance. The question is knowing what frequency to listen on.