Customize

What went wrong with Rickroll?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Jacobsen, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Jeff Jacobsen Member

When I investigated Anonymous in 2006 after they decided to go after Scientology, one thing I liked about them was the self-trolling like the Rickroll. I thought this was a good way to keep people on their toes from being hoodwinked by some scam artists, including Scientology.

Anonymous came out of the /b folder in 4chan.org. Qanon also recently came from there. Anonymous was an anarchic group with no one really in charge who still somehow worked together to run a very successful protest. Qanon, as almost the opposite, is one dude or small group who claim to have super-secret-insider knowledge of US government. They dole out piecemeal tidbits of information that we are supposed to swallow without any shred of evidence, which information inevitably proves to be wrong. We are supposed to rise up against the pedophile coup plotters buried in the deep state of our government.

So why is Qanon, which is an obvious troll, believed by the generation that spawned Anonymous? What turned you from troll experts to troll sycophants? This is a great quandary to me that I hope someone can explain.
  2. Disambiguation Global Moderator

It’s a different subset of people. These are angry people who feel they do not get the respect they are entitled to, and respond to explanations that prove the people responsible for this suppression of their natural position in the world are horrible.
    They don’t have a sense of humor.
    I also think it’s Russians
  3. PainterofLite Member

They seem to be Trump minions so Trump likes them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/08/12/trumps-quiet-acceptance-qanon-has-become-something-bigger/

Trump’s quiet acceptance of QAnon has become something bigger

excerpts:

There are a lot of reasons that QAnon has found a perfect symbiosis with Trump’s political worldview, but it’s largely a function of QAnon adherents necessarily sharing Trump’s willingness to engage in wild, unmoored conspiracy theories.

“Powerful people can’t use conspiracy theories very well,” Joseph Uscinski, an associate professor of political science at the University of Miami and the co-author of “American Conspiracy Theories,” told me in 2017. “They’re tools of the weak to attack the powerful.” In this case, though, Trump’s embrace of the tactic has made it a tool of the powerful. And in so doing, Uscinski said, he “put together a coalition of conspiracy-minded people.”

That overlap has at times been embarrassing for the president. At one Trump rally in New Hampshire last year, QAnon supporters told me that staffers or the Secret Service had asked them to cover up or reverse QAnon-themed shirts. But the campaign can’t and probably isn’t interested in tamping down QAnon support generally, recognizing that these are mostly fervent, committed Trump fans, many of whom find order in the otherwise complicated theory.

Of the multiple candidates who won contests on Tuesday, only Greene received a thumbs-up from the president.
  4. Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up

5. candide2020 Member

I did loved all the rick rolled videos ..I miss them
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DeathHamster Member

QAnon came out of 8chan more than 4chan. (All of the Q posts were on 8chan, using a trapcode id locked to that site.) Besides, the membership has changed. The Anons of 12 years ago have moved on, and an older crowd of racist nutters have moved in, along with people who want to private army them, probably including nation-state disinfo actors.

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#QAnon
  7. candide2020 Member

4374737191_e4a5f1fd3d.jpg Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna run around and desert you
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye
    Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
  8. gngrduncan Member

I actually just got rickrolled on youtube about 2 hours ago. LOL. Can't believe I fell for it again after all these years.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. emmajames Member

That's an amazing song, Never Gonna Give You Up, I sang that song at my parents' wedding anniversary with my new acoustic guitar which i bought from Black Friday Coupons and my parents really liked that song.