Customize

When Doxing Happens

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by hushpuppy, Sep 12, 2012.

1. hushpuppy Member

Just a quick note about whenever doxing happens - whether it is intentional outings of anons, or just anons accidentally failing to strip data from uploads/links:
    PM all the mods with mod powers in the forum where the dox are posted, whether or not we appear to be on-line.

Sometimes we hide, but even when we are off-line, most of us get notification of WWP PMs on our cell phones one way or another. Whenever we see a PM title that clearly states 'Doxing!' (not 'oh shi....' or similar), we log on to WWP asap. Most of us have cell phone access to WWP, so unless we're sleeping, or having our cell phones turned off, we should be able to do damage control pretty quickly.

The staff list shows who can help out where: https://whyweprotest.net/threads/wwp-staff.101453/ :)
    • Winner Winner x 12
  2. Tourniquet Member

Thanks, this is of the highest importance, potentially.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. RightOn Member

thanks for having our backs!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Ogsonofgroo Member

Yarr! ^^^

Good to know about stripping meta-data from yer photos too I might add, just reading a bit about it and didn't know some newer camaras can even tag the GPS location, along with any names or other info you have set it up with, especially ITouch/phones etc.. Play smart with pics, strip tags and host elsewhere b/f loading elsewhere if ya don't want to namefag accident imho. Just a thot.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Anonymous Member

Impossible, I saw this thread a year ago and date is Wednesday.
  7. hushpuppy Member

Yes, in response to a doxing case back then, I posted in the moderation forum that I was available this way. Ersatz, HOC and others said they were as well.

Another instance of accidental self-doxing, where the poster feared it could cost him his job, happened again on Wednesday. I then realized that I'd put the original thread in the wrong forum; that all posters should know that whenever there's a matter of urgency, there's a better way to get our attention than to just report a post.

Sucks when activism has negative consequences, but sucks even more when activism has negative consequences that were easily preventable.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. anonymous612 Member

OP gets ALL the winner medals.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

But is it trivial to scrub all new posts say every 3 min?
  10. Anonymous Member

WAT???
  11. Anonymous Member

Just trying to reduce the number of wats. It is trivial to detect any new posts in any public websites, and copy it. The interval can be a few seconds or a few minutes. You can also buy a few hundred IP's for cheap so no one notices. Clear?
  12. anonymous612 Member

Just because someone somewhere might have seen it doesn't mean you should just go "fuck it" and leave the dox up. Mitigation, not prevention.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

If you don't already have one, and submit a bit for such an "automatic" "always on" program, it probably cost less than $100 from India. I'm all for mitigation, but one should take yourself seriously, that your enemy will spend more than $100.
  14. hushpuppy Member

Some may, some may not. We've been able to remove dox within a minute or two (and before they've had any views at all) on many occasions.

All things being equal, the less time the dox are viewable, the better. It's the best we can do.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. PickANumber Member

The link leads to a 404 error, and I mention it only because this is a sticky thread.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. White Tara Global Moderator

Fixed now in OP and here, thanks for letting us know.:) https://whyweprotest.net/threads/wwp-staff.101453/

Also it would be appreciated if any doxing would be downvoted into absentia, by anyone coming across it, until mods can disappear it fully.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. whoever Member

The link in the OP is still not right.

P.S. Isn't Disambiguation a Global Moderator?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. RavenEyes Member

• Like Like x 3
  20. A.O.T.F Member

And may there be many blessings upon them, wherever they are.
    • Like Like x 4
  21. White Tara Global Moderator

Making adjustments to the staff list as confirmation comes in. :confused:
    • Like Like x 5
  22. Ersatz Global Moderator

I'm not actually here.
    • Like Like x 3
  23. RavenEyes Member

I will keep your smile face there to fool the masses.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. meep meep Member

Where are you actually?
    • Like Like x 1
  25. White Tara Global Moderator

Well over there obviously :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
  26. meep meep Member

Yesterday upon the stair
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    Gee, I wish he'd go away!
    • Like Like x 2
  27. White Tara Global Moderator

Was his name Brainstorm by any chance? :p
  28. RavenEyes Member

OMG - DOXING! <in the "when doxing happens" thread, no less>

<reported>
    • Like Like x 1
  29. meep meep Member

*licks your neck*
    • Like Like x 2
  30. White Tara Global Moderator

best response ever :p
    • Like Like x 1
  31. RavenEyes Member

That's cause you ain't seen mah neck. ;)
    • Like Like x 1