Customize

Where is Scientology?

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Rod Keller, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Rod Keller Member

Hi, I'm Rod Keller. Former publisher of Alt.religion.scientology Week in Review, former board member of the LMT, protester in NYC, DC, Flag, San Fran, Tampa, etc. etc. I take it the appropriate description is "OG."

I have a project, and was wondering if anybody would like to work on it, but I'm not really sure how that works. It's an atlas of Scientology in Google Earth. The idea is to map all the orgs, missions, Narconons, schools, ships, secret bases - the whole thing. If it took place somewhere, it can probably be mapped. To me, that's interesting enough, but I think the real power is that you can link Youtube videos to GE locations that will play when you select a link. Ideally, I'd like to link a video of somebody who was there, and what happened to them.

I don't know where the project is going, but I do know that once information is out there, people will make unexpected uses of it. I hope that former members will be motivated by this to make videos to represent what happened at different places. Maybe their story isn't as dramatic as an escape or being locked up, but it might be the story that best represents what happened at a particular org or mission.

So here is the link, if anybody wants to contribute some time and effort, let me know. There are a lot of sites yet to map, there's video linking, error checking, consistency edits, etc. It will probably open by default in Google Maps, but I strongly suggest downloading it for Google Earth instead.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B55jed1kr_E0cVNPN3ZEay00R00/edit?usp=sharing
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Anonymous Member

An excellent idea.

It will take some work.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

Like the idea, but am somewhat weary of the format. Doing this right will require a fuck-ton of work, but I'm not seeing the benefit such work would bring. Between links going dead, difficulty in maintainance, difficulty in exporting the results of the work, etc., I can't say this looks like an efficient use of effort.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  4. Rod Keller Member

Yes, it will. There are some easy parts and some hard parts. For example, I have been unable to locate the coordinates of the former Mace-Kingsley ranch. If somebody knows, send me a KML file. "Near Reserve, NM" is as close as I have come so far. I really want to link the vid of Wally belting the kid as he tells him to look at the photo of LRH.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Anonymous Member

Nice initiative!
    • Like Like x 3
  6. amaX Member

i think this is a fabulous idea. rod's already done some amazing work on this. very impressive, sir.

i think this could be a valuable tool.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Rod Keller Member

Well, thank you. The credit should go to all the people who helped either directly or through resources they made on various web sites. WWP, OCMB, Exscn, Angry Gay Pope, Jeff Jacobsen, Arnie Lerma, Annette Iren Johansen, Stephen Jones, Skip Press, Mike Rinder, Tony Ortega, and a host of others.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Anonymous Member

Very intriguing project outline.

With regard to technical and temporal terms, presently, this project is beyond my reach, but I've set up "watching" the thread and whenever I find that I can contribute temporal or technical resources, I'll chime in again.

I really like this part of the idea -
    It reminds me of -

“The street finds its own uses for things.”

William Gibson
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Anonymous Member

"Cult Atlas"
    "Atlas of Scams"
    "Global Bullshit"
    "Map of Scientology Crimes and Scams"
    etc etc
  10. Anonymous Member

Where in the world is Xenu?
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Anonymous Member

"Teegeeatlas"
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Jeff Jacobsen Member

I think this is a great idea to show the scope of Scientology's holdings and where they actually are, for law enforcement, potential protests, news reporters, etc. etc. Lots of uses for this, but it would be hard to keep current probably.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. CarterUSP Member

How long before some clam leaps in with loads of new addresses of their massively expanding orgs with links to shooped pics?
    • Like Like x 3
  14. CarterUSP Member

OG have big clanking balls. I raise a glass to you, good sir.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Anonymous Member

16. Rod Keller Member

17. Anonymous Member

I dunno what the link is supposed to do. What it does is download a text file that looks like this:
  18. Rod Keller Member

Open it in Google Earth. It's a link to a set of bookmarks that show Scientology locations.
  19. Rod Keller Member

I have never seen a Scientology site wrap itself in Islam, or any other religion, quite like this one. Are there any Egyptian Anon who can translate the images?

Mod edit: Broke potential scn link
    www . selfcultivation.org

If you use Chrome you can get a pretty good translation, but I can't view the tab for training courses.
  20. DeathHamster Member

21. Rod Keller Member

Those are interesting maps. I'm trying to include a lot more locations, and links to videos of people who were there.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Rod Keller Member

I'll try to remember to break links. Sorry about that. I added successpacific . com today, as well as Florida missions.

<blockquote>The Success network uses the Hubbard Management Technology®, which is used today in more than 140,000 companies and corporations in 75 countries. This management system has received international recognition as a unique, practical management system for those who have used it to create a thriving, successful business.</blockquote>
  23. Ko@la Member

I really like this project, but how to add some new places in your file ? Should I just tell you ?
  24. Rod Keller Member

25. Anonylemmi Member

This is magnificent. If for no other reason than learning that the Mile High/Twin Peaks compound is on Squirrel Inn Road.
    As a bonus, Google Earth has AGP's Panaramio photos linked.
  26. Rod Keller Member

Yeah, that's one of the best parts. I have the largest tech company in the world making this better all the time. Better satellites, updated streetviews, more photos, etc. I have a couple of additions I need to upload, which you will get automatically because it's a network link, not a static download.
  27. grep Member

This is a pretty interesting project. After I get some free time away from the craigslist project I'll donate it over here.
  28. Rod Keller Member

European, non-UK missions and schools are probably the lowest hanging fruit for additions. If you go too far East, you run into considerable language problems and sparse satellite photos. If somebody can find the planned ASHO LatAm (the advanced org in a Mexico City shopping mall) that would be awesome. If somebody is really into book research, I've been planning to map the ports of call of all the ships. Hubbard's naval career hasn't been touched. Can you find the Cuban island that he shelled for target practice? Oak Knoll Hospital where he spent the end of his career? I haven't tried yet.