Customize

White House Calls Ahmadinejad Iran's 'Elected Leader'

Discussion in 'News And Current Events' started by Twister, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Twister Member

Ok.... WTF?!?!?!

"President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is the "elected leader" of Iran, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said today.

Since Iran's disputed June 12 presidential election, as Reuters notes, "the White House has been careful not to comment on the legitimacy of the Iranian election and has condemned the government for its crackdown on opposition demonstrators."

Ahmadinejad is due to be sworn in to his second term tomorrow. Opponents, who say the election was rigged in his favor, plan more protests."

White House Calls Ahmadinejad Iran's 'Elected Leader' - The Two-Way - Breaking News, Analysis Blog : NPR

Is this again something for "Plan B" and nuke negotiations should the Green Movement fail?

Well, know that I (and most all Americans I've talked to who know what's going on in Iran) DO NOT accept him as the elected leader of Iran.

:mad:
  2. Nedjarsan Member

This is big time BS if it is true.

If it is true I am very close to spit on US stand to democratic and human-rights values.
  3. it is not true, but it doesn't matter the Green Movement has already won..... the 'Ahmi &Kham' dummies do not realise this yet. After Tomorrow they will..... (all this is has a nice Ceasescu look and feel deja vu thingie fel to it) ....

Communism = Islamic Republic ...
  4. Shocking!

Well Obama has just lost my vote!
  5. i was thinking they may do something like this in order to ensure they'll get back the 3 "hikers"
  6. Twister Member

More from Reuters

Been refreshing the whitehouse.gov website waiting for the "official" transcript/release but here's a bit more of the wording. Will post official release when I can find it.

I am so fucking pissed off. Pardon my language.

And yes, the Green Movement has already won! agreed, unreg!

White House calls Ahmadinejad elected leader of Iran | Reuters.com
  7. Frylock-IRAN Member

Perhaps but a poor move. Three hikers are more important than human rights, fair elections, and endless needless torture and death?

One does not throw away their core values and what a country stands for for a unspoken bribe (the hopeful return of the three).
  8. Its kind of annoying when american assimilate anything they don't like to communism.
  9. First I do not assimilate.. (ala Bork in Star Trek). Secondly: I am dutch and I was wrong Islamic republic/ideology is far more evil than communism ever was.....
  10. Women had equal rights in Communism... Instead of second hand citizens...
  11. JohnDoe Moderator

Compare this to Press TV's statement!!!!!!!!

Western states refuse to congratulate Ahmadinejad

It is desperately disappointing if Obama has acknowledged this illegitimate presidency.

But look on the bright side - WHEN the people have won and overthrown the regime, the whole world will have to acknowledge that they did their way, and they did it alone! And indeed the world will have to acknowledge, not only did they not help them, but they at times made it even more difficult for them. (Not just this news, but the lack of interest by the world media)

No outside help. No one will be able to take any credit except the people themselves. And because there is no other agenda here, than the people's own desire for freedom, they will build the system they want - not the one of the botched interference of the British and American governments (as was in every previous revolution in Iran)

This news may have disheartened the people a month ago. Not now, they are way too strong now!
  12. akuma_river Member

Well he was once an elected President. So maybe they are referring to the previous term of Presidency?
  13. WitteKr Member

I find the wording of the White House spokesman rather cryptic: "This was a decision and a debate ongoing in Iran by Iranians, they were going to choose their leadership," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said. "He's the elected leader."
    As far as I'm concerned he could just as well be working for the Iranian regime... Excellent doublespeak:rolleyes:. But let's wait in what context this was said.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it means what the previous writers presume it means. In another topic on this forum one of our Anon fellows pointed to the article in the New York Times this weekend, on the struggle of the Obama team to get a comprehensive Iran policy together - in the light of the recent developments. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/magazine/02Iran-t.html?scp=1&sq=cohen iran policy&st=cse
    Very interesting old school journalism!

I don't think those hikers have anything to do with it. And I don't think they were 'just' hikers either. One of them at least is a journalist. Couldn't help thinking of the two journalists who 'hiked' into North Korea... But at least Bill Clinton got them out. Next stop Tehran? (It could grow out to be an interesting variation on the old 'ping pong policy' with China. 'Hikers diplomacy'?)
  14. a desert Member

If you call being hauled off to Evin for opening your mouth and burying your children because you taught them to stand up for themselves, yeah, it was a debate.

:rolleyes:

I hate politics, politicians, and the whole mess.
  15. Twister Member

It *is* an acknowledgement and *not* a congratulations... suppose there's a hair's width of difference though in the eyes of most. Certainly to me.

Seriously disappointed in Obama for this decision. I'd like to know the reasoning. It's obvious the Regime's days (hours?) are numbered.
  16. a desert Member

I dunno if it's obvious. :/

I keep hoping this isn't true, but we all know how gov't leaders lick one another like dogs. Hell, people call Kim Jung-Il President of North Korea as if he was a democratically elected official, even though we should be calling him Crackpot Tyrant Kim, since that's what he really is.
  17. Twister Member

That's what I mean... it's a subtle difference in the vocabulary of 'diplomacy', if we can call this that, but to most ppl it will seem like we've patted AH on the back. <sigh>
  18. CNN/BBC someone should make a show

--101 what they really meant for dummies--

/sigh

remember ppl Obama is not even a US citizen..... /facepalm
  19. I agree with Lassie. Americans staying neutral will give the hardliners less reason to brutaly oppress the green movement.

I don't, however, see the reason why the American media is so silent about all of the protests happening in Iran these past weeks since MJ's death considering so much is at stake for America, Israel, Europe and the entire middle east.

Strange how the "free" press operates in America.
  20. Mir Obama Member

Britain, Germany, and France are following suit it seems.

21. ”This was a decision and a debate ongoing in Iran by Iranians, they were going to choose their leadership. He’s the elected leader.”

Yes, THEY WERE GOING TO, and they did, but since it was a rigged election, then yep, he is still the "elected leader"

Wow, English can be a tricky language, even for those that know it as an only language! :D I have to hand it to them, that was pretty tricky...but they are still chicken shits for just not coming out and saying....HE DID NOT WIN, HE WAS NOT ELECTED!
  22. I see that you are from the western europe. Such an idiotic statement can be only written by a citizen of the West. It is a pity that you did not live during the Stalin era in Baltic republics.
    Communism was evil and Islamic ideology is evil.
    YUP, both men and women were tortured equally.
    I am not. When there was presidential election in USA I was talking with couple of americans, and one black lady said: "Everybody but Bush (or neo-cons)". Well, everybody got what everybody voted for.
    if you believe that american neutrality will help green movement, you can believe everything.
    Couple of months ago everybody, including Iranian people in the west, were saying that it is better to be neutral, to give people "reliable" informations. Now you are complaining?
    Many Iranians and other people said that Americans are pushing, butting in, trying to force their will on people. Trying to force Iranians regarding their nuclear power drive, trying to force middle easterners concerning doings of their governments, trying to force their will on europeans. People were saying that what was happening under Bush was "american arrogance" and Iranians/muslims/middle easterners/europeans should decide by themselves without help from Americans .
    Iranians and others were ecstatic that Americans got different president. Now you are complaining that this president is wrong to do what you wanted? That MSM don't push your (green wave) viewpoint stronger? But MSM and Obama did only what many Iranians wanted couple of months ago.
    You changed your mind now, many Americans changed their mind couple of months ago. Only Iranians and Americans changed their minds differently, in opposite way.. Iranians got what Iranians wished for , but as it is always with the wishes - reality of the wishes is different from we really want.
    So, deal with it.
  23. Roe Lassie

Tell me, why should people be interested in human rights in Iran, or elsewhere? It seems that you are forgetting that human rights (according to many)are western invention. That is what some media, professors at universities, muslim organizations and politicians - both Muslims and western - tell their audiences. That there many other countries who have their own "rights" different and equal to the above western invention. Many people in the West now believe that everything is equal, so why they should care about supporting this western invention which many people in the muslim world deems lesser than their own rights. Hmm................?
  24. Visionary Member

I hope this is just Gibbs being a dumbass and nothing more.
    (it wouldn't be the first time)
    Otherwise it kind of reminds me of the way the US screwed over Iraqis when they tried to revolt after the Perisan Gulf War.
  25. yesterday, i thought obama would say absolutely anything in service of politics.

today, i know.

didn't vote for him in '08. won't vote for him in '12. what's next? are you going to praise the openness and good governance of north korea so you can go back at the negotiating table and get played by every last two bit dictator on the planet?
  26. NO, US now is passive and Obama never said that his government will help Iranians, he is very careful of what he is saying.
  27. It makes sense since he was democratically elected

Two months later and the opposition still ha snot produced a shred of evidence substantiating voter fraud claims

Iran Affairs: US agency mistranslated Iran election report

CJ Harwood a.k.a. Warlaw compares the BBC Monitoring's translation of the of the Guardian Council report on election irregularities in Iran with the U.S. Open Source Center's translation, and finds a major discrepancy:

Warlaw concludes from this:

28. Visionary Member

True...but it could still be a bit demoralizing and it feels like betraying them after all he spoke out about freedom back in Cairo.
    Not really blaming him though, I just don't like this.
  29. I dont think the brutality of the regime is in doubt. but a government doesn't refuse to recognize a duly elected leader for being brutal. legitimacy is denied for being fraudulently elected.
  30. Visionary Member

I think they go hand in hand. For example, remember Milosevic?
    Also the brutality and the protests are evidence that the elections were at the very least not fair and or completely legitimate.
  31. you know the regime beat up iranians when they came out to celebrate in the streets when iran beat us in world cup (i think it was in 98). does that mean the iran team didnt really win that match?

the regime's brutality is not logical. stop trying to interpret and derive logical conclusions from their behaviors.
  32. Visionary Member

Huh? What?
    I'm confused.
    Anyone want to help me here?
    lol

I said that the actions of the regime and of the people show the lack of legitimacy of the election.
    This doesn't say anything about the regime's motives.
  33. Ray Murphy Member

The U.S. needs to respect Iranian law, which says Ahmadinejad is the elected leader, but it doesn't need to respect diplomatic conventions which would normally include congratulations etc.
  34. People don't know how good they have life living in a free country, they don't appreciate it. African Americans went through the same struggle in the USA you would think a black president would speak louder against human rights abuses.

The election is now a non-issue. It was just the spark that lit the fire of change. What's happening in Iran is product of 30 years of dreams being shattered and lives being brought to ruins. The American government knows this, they know the election is not what is important.

The best the USA can do is support free media broadcast into Iran and on the internet. Recently congress passed a bill which gave millions of dollars for support to the voa and radio farda.

The problem with the MSM is that it seemingly purposely selects what stories to pursue and focus on 100%. Whatever is focused on during the day will be on Larry King at night or Anderson Cooper, they say there is not enough time to cover everything. But that does not explain why they do not cover a situation that can have an immense impact on America in numerous ways.

Don't forget it was America that grouped Iran with N. Korea, Iraq and Syria in the Axis of Evil. It was America that invaded two neighboring countries of Iran and even had great debate about invading Iran right after the Iraq invasion. Don't you remember Cheney's rhetoric? It was America that supported the Shah 30+ years ago. It was America that supported Saddam. It was you that had your entire embassy under a hostage crisis for several years. It's just incredible how the MSM is blind to whatever they do not focus on.
  35. Machiavelli Member

It's ok to call him "the leader". It's not ok to call him "elected".
    You might be willing to have diplomatic talks with scum. And you can even keep silent about things that are well known anyway.

But you shouldn't call a piece of scum a respectable person.

That's what the art of diplomatic language is for. To NOT communicate anything you don't want to communicate.
  36. The Iranian government has been looking for any reason to blame the USA. Obama did the right decision to not go over the limit like McCain would've want him to. This statement released is not indicative of the President's direct acceptance of Ahmadinejad as the true leader of Iran.

He is the "elected" leader, legally in Iran whether we like it or not. It looks like most people do not, that's why they are in the streets protesting, that's why we are online discussing, researching and helping.

How is the information coming out of Iran not reliabe? When you see 20 videos from the same demonstration on youtube, how is that not a reliabe sign of unrest in Iran? Now consider Iran's importance in USA politics historically and presently with the current standoff between Iran, Israel, Europe and the USA. Ask yourself why such a silence in the MSM? Governments should not meddle, the biggest weakness the Islamic Republic has is information, that is why they spend most of their budget hiring millitias to silence the people. All we need is information to get across, doesn't have to be a 100% focus of the issue by the media, but the silence i'm hearing is deafening.

Many Iranians and other people said that Americans are pushing, butting in, trying to force their will on people. Trying to force Iranians regarding their nuclear power drive, trying to force middle easterners concerning doings of their governments, trying to force their will on europeans. People were saying that what was happening under Bush was "american arrogance" and Iranians/muslims/middle easterners/europeans should decide by themselves without help from Americans .
    Iranians and others were ecstatic that Americans got different president. Now you are complaining that this president is wrong to do what you wanted? That MSM don't push your (green wave) viewpoint stronger? But MSM and Obama did only what many Iranians wanted couple of months ago.
    You changed your mind now, many Americans changed their mind couple of months ago. Only Iranians and Americans changed their minds differently, in opposite way.. Iranians got what Iranians wished for , but as it is always with the wishes - reality of the wishes is different from we really want.
    So, deal with it.[/QUOTE]
  37. Equal rights to shut the hell up or go to the gulags? Yeah, that kind of means nothing to say people have equal rights when they equally have no rights at all.
  38. atmasabr Member

President Obama is such an idiot. How could he say something so demoralizing at precisely the time when the Green Movement is turning the corner?

If we had Bush in the White House, there would be no question whose side he was on.
  39. What is so vague, and hard to understand about the term "he is an elected leader"? All the double-speak before that was vague, but with that statement, he made it clear. There is no ambiguity. Obama seems to feel that ahamad was" elected". He doesn't feel it was a fraud, or a coup. His spokesman said that ahamadinijad was "elected".

Which we all know is complete bullshit. He was elected my ass.

This nation made a huge mistake when they elected Obama. He is not spineless, he is a worm and a backstabber. He says one thing, and tries to lead people to think he is neutral, but the truth slips out, doesn't it?

Why he does this, I will never know. I didn't vote for him, and you can bet that in the future I will also not vote for anyone who has anything at all to do with him. He is pariah as far as I am concerned.