Customize

WHITE HOUSE PETITION TO INVESTIGATE THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Graham Berry, Sep 24, 2011.

1. anonymous612 Member

Not anymore he isn't...he ain't anyone's boyfriend now.
  2. Triumph Member

a little Late to the Dance
    -----

Radar Online
    Petition to the White House asks for Investigation into the CoS
    http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/10/petition-calls-scientology-investigation-white-house
    its being picked up by the press
    Dallas Morning News links Radar article
    http://topics.dallasnews.com/article/078x6Th70x5tV
    Press Enterprises link Radar article
    http://topics.pe.com/article/078x6Th70x5tV?q=Barack Obama
    Roadrunner Links
    http://features.rr.com/article/078x6Th70x5tV?q=California
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Anonymous Member

4. Anonymous Member

You fail at failing.
  5. Anonymous Member

..and their problem is??
  6. Anonymous Member

the more coverage, the better.
    more opportunities for exposure now that the official deadline is over, and sig rqmt met
  7. optuul Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sponge Member

What a strange thing to say, especially for a scamming, bait'n'switch, drilling'n'sec-checking, mind-fucking cult like scientology which repeatedly bangs a drum to "globally obliterate" psychiatry.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RightOn Member

"form a presidential commission to investigate the covert use of mind control technologies on Church of Scientology members."

:)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Anonymous Member

Apparently, they just leave it open, so we can still encourage folks to sign and see it keep rising.
  11. optuul Member

• Like Like x 3
  12. Anonymous Member

"According to RadarOnline.com, a Scientology spokesman has responded to reports of the petition:
    "...'We the People' initiative cannot take seriously...Petitions that have been submitted to 'We the People' include demands to legalize prostitution, legalize marijuana, to change the motto of the United States, and to proclaim a World Psoriasis Day...Not surprisingly, these petitions have become the butt of numerous jokes by comics and sarcastic articles and have unfortunately polluted the White House's efforts to raise serious issues. Tellingly, the White House earlier this month raised the threshold from 5,000 to 25,000 signatures within 30 days. In short, the petition to investigate Scientology should be taken as seriously as the petition to 'form a presidential commission to investigate the covert use of mind control technologies on AmericanOnline citizens.'"
    "
    Really, Scientology? That's the best you can do? Oh of course we would never expect an answer like, "Go ahead and investigate Scientology; we have nothing to hide."
  13. Anonymous Member

Of course not!!!

I like the way the following article worded things. I'm guessing twisted-news.com isn't exactly among the nation's top media outlets. but nonetheless.... ;)
    -----------------------------------------
    Petition Calls For An Investigation Of The Church Of Scientology

The Church of Scientology may soon be under investigation by the White House after a petition was submitted through We The People, an online initiative that allows citizens to submit petitions, giving them 30 days to obtain the required signatures.

<snip>

Call it a hunch, but we’re pretty sure David isn’t very happy about this.

October 26, 2011 Twisted News
  14. Anonymous Member

Yes, they are moonbats. Yes, Graham has his limitations. Yes, the petition may do sweet fuck all. But at the end of the day it only took me a few minutes to sign and I still managed to live an active and productive life accomplishing other things while I was doing so.

I saw lots of anons NOT going ape-shit over getting this petition signed, in fact it appeared to me to be primarily exes putting pedal to the metal.

And btw I've seen no more evidence that investigations were not stopped (as purported by you) as that they were. Either way I bet DM is choked about the petition and subsequent media coverage. Good.

Why u so mad dude?
  15. Smurf Member

Whether the petition goes anywhere or not does not remove the fact that it got alot of public attention, alot of media attention, and, at least alot of people read the petition or heard about it. It was a thorn in the ass of the cult's PR agenda.

It was, at least, the effort to do something constructive in calling attention to the cult's abuses.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Anonymous Member

Indeed. I didn't expect the government to take time from politics to address this. But the fact it got public attention and forced Scientology to respond means we got a good troll out of it. We acted, Scifags reacted, mission accomplished. Any government attention to this is a bonus.
  17. veravendetter Member

Which projects?
  18. Zoom Member

Petition With Enough Signatures Has Been Reported On

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Oct.26th, 2011

(UPS) - A petition on the White House website We the People, where the general public can start petitions, has been the subject of several articles across internet news organizations ever since it reached the minimum number of signatures needed to qualify for consideration.

The petition, which calls for an investigation of the Church of Scientology, its alleged criminal activities and on the alleged corruption of the FBI, CIA and IRS in not pursuing their own investigations, has surpassed the necessary five thousand signatures, some of which are by noted celebrities Mickey Mouse and the late Billy Mays.

A spokesman for the internet commented, "Now that it has been reported on, people are becoming more and more aware of it. Soon they will begin to ask questions about it, and finally complain to everyone in a sort of nasal whining."

Apparently the concern that is raised is that of whether Obama will actually act on the petition, or whether it merely qualifies for a bonus qualifying round where it goes into a brutal death match with "Legalize Marijuana" before moving on to the semifinals in Wimbledon.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Anonalong Member

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/response/taking-action-reduce-burden-student-loan-debt

That one got immediate attention. No guarantee, but as more people find out about the Co$ petition, more are signing - 5744 early morning. Also, since the code enforcement board in CW did not back down and fined the Stupor Power building $413,500 ... that could be used to lever any inaction in DC.
  20. Anonalong Member

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/response/why-we-can’t-comment

This doesn't look very good. I don't understand it, but the petition to investigate alleged misconduct in the prosecution of Sholom Rubashkin got over 52,000 signatures. "With respect to law enforcement matters, the Department of Justice is charged with investigating crime and enforcing our laws. The Department also has mechanisms in place to investigate allegations of prosecutorial misconduct, including through its Office of Professional Responsibility." Maybe it's separation of powers, maybe the $cn petition is different. The good news is that the $cn petition was not tacked on, while all the "legalize pot" petitions were commented on at once (tacked on to each other).
  21. Anonymous Member

22. Anonymous Member

So the response to the most popular one's has made it to Slashdot
  23. Anonymous Member

24. over9000OT Member

So, the responses from the White House so far have run the full gamut from "u mad" to "LOL WUT?" Unfortunately, the two responses I've seen to petitions that got a lot of votes where basically like F U. The marijuana petition response was terrible and so was the one about banning the 'under god' bit in the Pledge of Allegiance.
  25. Anonymous Member

The petition to remove "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance could have mentioned that Congress shouldn't have added it to the pledge in the first place (not that that would have affected The White House response). The pledge was written by a minister who deliberately left out any mention of God in it. One of his children said he would have been angry if he had lived to see Congress add "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance he wrote.
  26. anonymous612 Member

The under God response managed to completely avoid actually responding to the petitions' claim that it was a violation of the separation of church and state. In fact, their argument for why it should stay was because "lol we be christians".

EDIT: from the response
    They're ignoring the fact that it's not supposed to.
    • Like Like x 4
  27. Floozy Member

28. Anonymous Member

29. Anonymous Member

30. WagTheWog Member

6K would be soooo noooooiice!
  31. Anonymous Member

32. Anonymous Member

Here's the official response to one of the more popular petitions of legalizing marijuana.

=========================================================================
    Official White House Response to Legalize and Regulate Marijuana in a Manner Similar to Alcohol. and 7 other petitions
    What We Have to Say About Legalizing Marijuana

By: Gil Kerlikowske
    When the President took office, he directed all of his policymakers to develop policies based on science and research, not ideology or politics. So our concern about marijuana is based on what the science tells us about the drug's effects.
    According to scientists at the National Institutes of Health- the world's largest source of drug abuse research - marijuana use is associated with addiction, respiratory disease, and cognitive impairment. We know from an array of treatment admission information and Federal data that marijuana use is a significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms. Studies also reveal that marijuana potency has almost tripled over the past 20 years, raising serious concerns about what this means for public health – especially among young people who use the drug because research shows their brains continue to develop well into their 20's. Simply put, it is not a benign drug.
    Like many, we are interested in the potential marijuana may have in providing relief to individuals diagnosed with certain serious illnesses. That is why we ardently support ongoing research into determining what components of the marijuana plant can be used as medicine. To date, however, neither the FDA nor the Institute of Medicine have found smoked marijuana to meet the modern standard for safe or effective medicine for any condition.
    As a former police chief, I recognize we are not going to arrest our way out of the problem. We also recognize that legalizing marijuana would not provide the answer to any of the health, social, youth education, criminal justice, and community quality of life challenges associated with drug use.
    That is why the President's National Drug Control Strategy is balanced and comprehensive, emphasizing prevention and treatment while at the same time supporting innovative law enforcement efforts that protect public safety and disrupt the supply of drugs entering our communities. Preventing drug use is the most cost-effective way to reduce drug use and its consequences in America. And, as we've seen in our work through community coalitions across the country, this approach works in making communities healthier and safer. We're also focused on expanding access to drug treatment for addicts. Treatment works. In fact, millions of Americans are in successful recovery for drug and alcoholism today. And through our work with innovative drug courts across the Nation, we are improving our criminal justice system to divert non-violent offenders into treatment.
    Our commitment to a balanced approach to drug control is real. This last fiscal year alone, the Federal Government spent over $10 billion on drug education and treatment programs compared to just over $9 billion on drug related law enforcement in the U.S.
    Thank you for making your voice heard. I encourage you to take a moment to read about the President's approach to drug control to learn more.
    =========================================================================

Given that pro-marijuana advocates are not happy with this answer, it makes me wonder - will we be happy when the official response is made toward the Scientology petition?
  33. optuul Member

We very may well not be. But honestly, I think there is value even in an "unsatisfying" answer. It is still an answer. The whole process of "circulating" this petition has brought attention to the abuses of CoS. Many people who were unaware of the toxicity of the cult, NOW ARE. And hopefully MORE will be if the White House issues a formal response.

Plus, a formal response gives CoS critics something to dig their teeth into.....even if it's an unsatisfying one.

It's hard for me to imagine a response that would truly HURT our cause. Maybe there is something I'm overlooking....
    • Like Like x 2
  34. ObamAnon Member

Yes.

I am happy that the petition happened and I hope everyone else is too. I don't expect the response to be a dramatic bone-crushing blow to the cult; so I can't foresee being let down.
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Anonymous Member

36. Anonymous Member

My only concern is if the response misses the point. A response explaining "freedom of religion" or Scientology being a recognized religion in the United States. Even a "no comment" type response would be annoying. I just hope the response ends up being something we can quote over and over to make the scilon trolls resort to ad hominem attacks rather than argue against it.
  37. Sponge Member

Yeah, I suppose it's almost par for the course to expect something wishywashy with a smattering of capitain obvious and general nondescript. However, if it creates even a small amount of doubt about scientology in the minds of those that came across that petition, and perhaps look for further info, then it was worth it especially for the relatively small amount of effort involved.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Anonymous Member

imo Obama should throw Anonymous a bone and investigate the cult. It is doable. even though it is shady, the cult is finite. the takedown would be a breeze compared to say...wall street. it is for great justice. it would be a savvy political move as anonymous and similar movements grow in strength and importance.
    the cult is a parasite and the american public is sick of paying for the taxes on all the scientology real estate, and subsidizing their evil.
  39. TinyDancer Member

• Like Like x 1
  40. Ackerland Member

I do not believe the Obama administration will ever initiate an investigation as demanded by the petition. The Clintons are too influential with Hillary as Secretary of State, and they will see to it nothing will be done.