Customize

"Why Is Scientology Bad?" Help me plan BadCult.info

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Spangly, May 3, 2009.

1. Spangly Member

"Why Is Scientology Bad?" Help me plan BadCult.info

I'm working on BadCult.info, which I intend to be a simple site (for the benefit of the general public) providing some of the many answers to this question:

Why is Scientology Bad?

Right now, I'm collecting rough answers to that question. To try to ensure I don't miss out any important / obvious / popular ones, I'm throwing out what I've come up with so far (including collecting a few URLs that I might want to link to).

Please note: this is not "final wording" material (just running notes on what I think I want to cover), and I've not yet settled on how the items might be ordered / grouped (so they're not currently in any "order of importance"). I'm not gonna write reams of text for each one - just a paragraph or two to summarize the issue, then offer links to further reading.

All that said, here's the braindump thus far...
    If you've got a favourite issue that you tend to use when talking to friends/family/the public, and it isn't included here yet, please mention it.
  2. Anonymous Member

3. Mutante Member

4. Spangly Member

Re: "Why Is Scientology Bad?" Help me plan BadCult.info

A full-scale "wiki for the public" would not have the same tight focus that I'm aiming for.

It's pretty common for me (when protesting in London) to find that the general public are already on-board with the idea of "Scientology Is Bad" - but that they're a little bit curious about why. Not curious enough to slog through a big site full of fucktons of info (hello, xenu.net), but they might entertain spending a couple of minutes to scratch the surface and discover a few more issues than they knew about previously.

The End The Cult Library wiki would seem definitely like a resource that I would link to, as a great collection of other links and accumulated info on specific issues. But what I'm aiming for on BadCult is a quick overview of "reasons why scientology is bad" - more like a slightly-TLDR leaflet than an encyclopaedia.
  5. Spangly Member

Last *bump* for input before I go ahead and write the first ugly-draft of the site based on what I've come up with so far...
  6. Anonymous Member

Aside from all their weird beliefs and the fact that their pseudoscientific "tech" doesn't work, probably the most visceral, gut-wrenching reason why the subject is bad is it destroys families and life-long friendships. If you join CO$, you run a very, very real risk that you will be ordered to disconnect from your loved ones. And if you are brainwashed enough at that point, you may actually do it.

Or if you join up and manage to get a loved one to join too, if you later dissent your loved one may be turned against you.

People love their families and their friends, so anything that seeks to drive a wedge between you and your loved ones is BAD. I think anyone can understand that.

If you have real stories which illustrate the above point, then a potential scieno recruiter can't just wave his hand and retort with "Oh, that stuff really never happens."
  7. RightOn Member

Scientology is bad?

Seriously. In a nut shell,
    Scientology=financial drain,family disconection,mind control and they use religious cloacking for tax exemption
  8. Re: "Why Is Scientology Bad?" Help me plan BadCult.info

One thing you have to remember is that for the general public any site attacking (direct or not) any religion or faith based system is EXTREMELY anti-pc. As such people will get a knee jerk reaction to it. That is to say, they will become polarized, either ignoring what you say or accepting it and disliking scientology.

The problem is that the majority of people when confronted with the absolute insanity of CoS will immediately discount your info because it's anti-pc.

The way to avoid this is to have something like this fluttered through your statements...

"The right to freedom of faith or religion is to be treated the same as all other rights. That it to say, you are allowed to exercise your rights provided they do not impede anyone else's rights. For example, you have the freedom to speak your mind, but you are not allowed to scream "Fire" in a movie theater. You're able to believe in mohammad and be a muslim, but you are not allowed to beat your wife."

"Scientology is a faith that at it's very core demands the violation of non-members rights. It is in this regard that I object to scientology. Fair game, the RPF, harassing of critics and outright fraud are employed daily. Don't believe me? Look at the court cases where lawyers FOR scientology argued that harassment was a protected right of their faith."

Something like that I think defuses the whole taboo about downing a religion. To rational people anyways.

Remember, you're not trying to convince scientologists to stop being scientologists. You're trying to shift the opinion of the average individual towards a negative view of scientology. Well reasoned and on topic points that are not morally offensive (not trashing someone's rights) do this wonderfully.

EDIT: Hyperlinking sauce in the paragraph is win.

EDIT 2: Just realized something. Any action where you deny someone their rights is a crime. So, while you are free to lie, you are not free to lie to modify someone's decision (Fraud).
  9. RightOn Member

Well I dind't mean of course for Spangly to actually print my "Scientology in a nut shell".

I wrote that as an outline for them.
    Thought that was obvious . sorry.
  10. Mutante Member

Talking about Scientology as if it's a religion is the #1 mistake to avoid.

It's an expensive self-help method based on dangerous 1950s psychobabble, dressed up with religious language to avoid ridicule from the legitimate medical community and also to evade taxes.

In today's society, describing anything as a religion also affords some protection from criticism or scrutiny. It is for these cynical and exploitative reasons that Scientology re-branded and re-imagined itself as a religion.

Nothing about Scientology should be confused with special considerations related to faith any moreso than a personal preference for McDonalds burgers over Wendys.
  11. Anonymous Member

12. Spangly Member

Tauren: In case you missed it in my introduction, a lot of the general public already has a non-specific negative view of Scientology - I'm just working on a really simple lightweight list of reasons why that negative view is an accurate one.

I decline to draw any distinction between "Scientology" and "The Church of Scientology". The cult's corrupt practises are driven and perpetuated directly because of LRH's Scientology doctrine.

The namby-pamby wishy-washy "delicate little flower" PC-brigade fuckwits are not worth my time. I'm not going to clutter up my site with hair-splitting apologies just to try to get them on board. I'm far more interested in the other 99% of the population - and that 99% would be better served by a simple, clear list of Scientology Badness Issues.

I'm not going to lean much on "lolxenu", simply because that point is not as compelling as "fake personality test which everyone fails", "tearing families apart if they don't all drink the kool-aid", etc.
  13. ultrapoet Member

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. Anonboy Member

hmmm.... L. Ron was often quite mad... he practiced magic but he didnt worshipped SATAN, HE THOUGHT HE WAS SATAN. You could include some of hes famous quotes for evidence :" I want to start a religion, thats where the money is."
  15. Lorelei Member

The abuse of staff members, as covered in the SP Times articles: the most sadistic game of musical chairs ever, overboarding, beatings. The RPF. The RPF's RPF. Child labour. Coerced abortions. Dangerous, medically unsound Purif (and Introspection, psychologically damaging) Rundowns.

Op Snow White, Op Freak out.

Second Chance sneaking out of town after stealing everything not nailed down, and not paying bills, and then trying to run the scam in Hawai'i.

Bullbaiting / harassment / stalking / assaulting critics.
  16. Lorelei Member

The abuse of staff members, as covered in the SP Times articles: the most sadistic game of musical chairs ever, overboarding, beatings. The RPF. The RPF's RPF. Child labour. Coerced abortions. Dangerous, medically unsound Purif (and Introspection, psychologically damaging) Rundowns.

Op Snow White, Op Freak out.

Second Chance sneaking out of town after stealing everything not nailed down, and not paying bills, and then trying to run the scam in Hawai'i.

Bullbaiting / harassment / stalking / assaulting critics.