Customize

Wifi Enturbulation? There (should be) an app for that!

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by DeathHamster, Jun 20, 2010.

1. DeathHamster Member

Wifi Enturbulation? There (should be) an app for that!

Too long preamble
    I've been getting ready for a camping trip, and had an idea that connected with another idea I had for spreading enturbulation.

The campsite is out in the countryside (duh!), with no Internet access except by cell and that depends on your cell provider. As well, for me, there would be $$$ roaming charges even if it worked.

I'd thought of running a stand-alone WiFi access point with no Internet access, but running a local notice board, simple forum, IRC chat and various files. People could access it via WiFi with laptops, smart phones, iPod Touch, etc, across most of the grounds. But there's just no way that I'm taking my netbook along, so I ditched that idea.

Recently I was looking at the Android app store and noticed a web server for Android phones that said that it "works with WiFi". Great, maybe I could just bring the phone and a solar charger and use that... Unfortunately, they mean that the server can access the Internet via wireless, not that it can be accessed from WiFi. (You can only connect to the server from your PC over the USB as far as I can tell.)

The Android 2.2 Froyo OS has WiFi tethering that might fill in one missing piece, and there are other tethering apps that might do.

The other missing piece would be a simple kludged DNS name server that always returns the phone's IP, no matter which site was asked for. That insures that people find the page and don't go cruising for pr0n if you forgot to turn off cell data access.

I doubt I'll have time to look into this before the trip, but this could be also used to spread enturbulation, similar to other ideas such as "BlueTruth".
    Idea
    A self-contained app that could be easily installed on a smart phone without requiring anything like rooting the phone, and sits in a corner of the SD card until needed.

When an Anon is in a place with a lot of people (large mall food court, airport, train station, jury selection waiting room, etc), start the app and up pops an open WiFi access point. People looking for free Internet access will see it and try to mooch a connection, but all they'll get is the mini site on the phone. A lot of them will WTF, disconnect and try elsewhere, but if the mini site is good, they might keep reading.

The nice part of these guerrilla access points would be that:
    • They should require no special hardware, just a stock smart phone. (Do bring a portable cell charger.)
    • Easily installed and forgotten, but can be launched with a couple taps on the phone.
    • No expense for air time or data plan charges.
    • The Anon doing it will look exactly like all the other people surfing or texting on their phones.
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Wifi Enturbulation? There (should be) an app for that!

I hate people like you that feel the need to try and work scientology / chanology into every aspect of their day to day lives. However this is very clever. I like it.
  3. DeathHamster Member

You only say that because you know nothing about my day to day life, except where it involves scientology / chanology. There's a selection bias in your perception of me.
  4. Anonymous Member

Very good point. Like I said though, I like your idea here. Very clever.
  5. ObamAnon Member

tl;dr: I like your ideas and have similar ones. I think laptop is best because of aforementioned power and processing limitations. Super best is to have the whole thing , pre-configured, on a bootable disk for laptops.

DeathHamster,

I have had very similar ideas about using wi-fi for our purposes, almost the same as the one you outlined in the “bluetruth” thread and I think the ideas has potential. In in order of complexity, noting where our ideas meet up:

1) Simplest, and do-able by all Anons, this applies to encrypted home networks and would be most effective near a coffee shop or in an apartment or condo complex where others will see your Network:

Anons change the SSID’s, the Broadcasted Name of their wireless router’s network to something anti-Sci.

If one scans the list of networks available in ones vicinity, typically one will see generic names of little significance. But, what if the public scanned the list of available networks and saw networks named “Scientology Sucks” or “Xenu Dot Net”? Free advertising for Anons and (i would find it to be) mildly amusing.

Possible drawbacks include paranoia. This is not a concern if you are NOT paranoid or if you simply use an extra wireless router you have laying around that is not even attached to computers or a gateway, remember this implementation merely involves using the broadcasted Network Name to advertise Anon stuff. I guess we should make sure of the legal limitations, if there are any, of what one can name his SSID, Im sure it differs country by country, and consider them.

2) More complicated and similar to what DeathHamster is talking about:

You could use an Un-encrypted Network and run DNS that directs every URL to an anti Sci page. This would be lulzy for someone who lives near a coffee shop or campus. Maybe put the antenna on an extension and out your window for extended range. Watch as people who are looking for free wi-fi connect to the network SSID called “Scientology Lies” and learn about Xenu.

Drawbacks include the need to be blocking ports for email and other services, unless you want to give away free internet, which would be very kind of you. Someone smart will have to figure out the DNS table, because if the user runs into 404’s, then, fail.

3)Even more complicated but probably best idea - and the one most similar to DeathHamster’s OP:

Run the whole shebang on a laptop and take it to an airport, convention, seminar or other somesuch. Create the wireless open network “Xenu is Lord” and let peeps connect to your webserver... servin up whatever creation you want on it, from a single page to a full mirror of Xenu.Net. Really the only difference is from this and the OP is I dont think phones/PDA’s have the processing power to run everything with good performance, and as mentioned in the OP, smartphones would very quickly need AC power. Also, lappys could use programs already widely available.

Drawback of this is that the cumbersome nature of laptops probably denies the spontaneous lulz one could have by whipping out an iPhone and enlightening an airport lounge full of travelers who were in search of free wi fi.

4) Super Awsome complicated but epic beyond compare:

Super-Smart Anon creates Pre-Configured Live Linux CD of above mentioned DNS and webserver with chanology content preloaded - and distributes disk image on the net for Anons around the world to download, burn, boot, deploy, and lol.

I think this has potential, I have done Idea # 1 for some time, off and on.
  6. DeathHamster Member

For a phone-based site, pages should be static, with no server-side scripting like php or a db backend, no sessions, light on graphics, and mainly text content without a lot of Javascript. Assuming that each person took some time to read each page, quite a number of people could be served even with limited power, and the latest gen of phone processors are up towards a GHz. As well, the WiFi coverage area of the phone limits the maximum traffic load. How many people are going to be hitting it at the same time?

I think I still have a copy of the CD version of xenu.net which was a basic version for offline reading. (Pretty dated and ugly by now, I'm sure.) A version of Stop Scientology Abuses | You Found The Card turned into static pages (and external links removed) might be better.

For power, there are battery chargers that can be bought or built that could handle it for at least half an hour for ad hoc guerrilla operations. (If someone is going to camp a location for a whole day, they'll need AC--and a life...)

A first step might be opening an access point in a busy area, without even a web site, and see just how many hits it gets from people looking for a free connection. I suspect that it'll be a lot, but that's just my guess. I don't think there's a point in creating elaborate solutions until there's data on what kind of load to expect.
  7. Anonymous Member

this is a good idea. I will be following this thread closely
  8. DeathHamster Member

This is an interesting bit of kit that I'm waiting to hit the discount stores:
    http://hackaday.com/2012/05/12/hacking-the-kingston-wi-drive/

It's a Linux wifi drive for iPhones/iPads that acts as a wifi Access Point (g/n), and is iPhone-sized. Among other things, it has an Apache web server. It hasn't been completely jailbroke yet, but it seems like lots can be played even without that. Batteries are supposed to last 4 hours. There's some kind of three user limit that might need bypassing.

I suspect that the wifi output range is designed to be shitty for power and security reasons, but that might be fixable with hacks or an external antenna.

http://wireless.gumph.org/articles/homemadeomni.html
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

did you really need to go back to a thread that hasn't been posted on since 2010?
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. DeathHamster Member

It saves re-explaining the purpose of a portable wifi AP/web site, doesn't it?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sonichu Moderator

According to the article, you still need ethernet to connect to the internet, but as far as broadcasting a "Xenu is Lord" WiFi you could do it. I don't know about running the DNS to load a page.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DeathHamster Member

What I should do is configure a Pi as a working standalone access point with a web server and maybe Wordpress, then make a disk image of the SD card available.
  14. DeathHamster Member

And here we go!

• Like Like x 2
  15. fishypants Moderator

16. DeathHamster Member

Port%20002s.jpg

It has a configured Wordpress site, 16GB card. It's been running on battery for an hour now.

Not much of a test. Next I'll have to take it somewhere public with lots of people with lots of phones and tablets, and almost no other WIFI or network access - Sort of like the Toronto subway...
    • Like Like x 2
  17. DeathHamster Member

Some applications for this:
    • Refugee camps. Everyone has a smart phone these days. Forums, knowledge bases, online forms and what not.
    • Portable coordination sites for an Arab Spring or Occupy where the powers-that-be have cut phone and Internet access.
    • On a hill overlooking Int Base with a colander dish antenna beaming entheta. (Get permission from the hill owner.)
    • Like Like x 4
  18. DeathHamster Member

Test prepped and ready, battery packs charged.

This will be a test to see what happens when people are stuck in an environment with no wifi or phone data for most of a 30 minute trip, repeated twice. What will trapped phone junkies do when their phone/tablet tells them that there's open wifi available?
    • I expected some time/date issues since the Pi doesn't have a battery-powered real-time clock and sets it from the net. Standalone, without the LAN, it still seems to have the correct time. Hmm, I wonder how?
    • The DNS is rigged for honeypot mode. i.e. no matter what site they request, they get the local server.
    • I need to gimmick Apache so that 404s redirect to the main page. Fixed. Now if they request http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34288721 then haha, main page!
    • It doesn't handle https, but I think most browsers will give http a try if https doesn't work.
    • I'm not sure if my tablet has a SSH client, so I might not be able to review the access logs until I'm home. Oh well.
    • A high gain directional antenna would be perfect for hitting the length of the new doorless subway trains. I should build one. I doubt the USB dongle has a lot of range.
    • The test payload is political (during an election), so it might generate some buzz if successful. Or not. (This Is Why We Test.)
    • If buzz, then I look forward to authorities discussing how to outlaw unauthorized access points in public places.
  19. DeathHamster Member

Maybe this project's time has finally come?

A "CALL ME" WiFi open access point spraying L. Ron Hubbard Way with enturbulation?

I'll get a disk image together.

(Oh yeah, results from that test last year: It needs to have a real-time clock module added, otherwise the log times are mush.)
    • Like Like x 3
  20. View attachment 265681d1398449745t-what-whaa-positive-blackberry-m
  21. TorontosRoot Member

bump, thought I would chip in: WINDmobile and BAI Canada have added free wi-fi access to every station, and cellular equipment in most stations (keele to woodbine one line 2, dupont to north of Bloor on line 1) except the tunnels. So on the subway and at stations would be pointless for about a million customers, except those on rogers, bell and telus (including their subsidiaries fido, chat-r, virgin, koodo, public mobile.), However... GO Transit has not added free wi-fi on the trains or at any station for that matter.
  22. DeathHamster Member

IMG_1177sml.jpg

The Altoids tin now contains 3 lithium cells for over 6 hours of power. The Pi2 is going to be swapped out for a Pi3 because the 2's USB port can't deliver enough power to drive the high-gain wifi adapter. The drive stick has a Mediawiki installed. (The stick is faster than a SD card.) I still have to do range testing with the "dish" antenna, but I'm hoping for a strong signal across a football field.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. TorontosRoot Member

I'm curious as to how many will connect to it. :D
  24. DeathHamster Member

The last time I tried something like this, I didn't have a real-time clock on the Pi, so the logs were a mess.

This time the target isn't Scientology, so it's not so much mass numbers as particular people in one location.
  25. Anon_CG3(ITA) Global Moderator

there is a module you can buy (it costs &50 more or less) available into the element14 chase. It provide not only real time clock but also a power regulator. i bought it to dspread my privacy.box (http://www.ecnetworld.com/store/index.php/2019/05/07/privacy-box/)
    • Like Like x 2
  26. DeathHamster Member

I have a little I2C RTC. For power, a module from one of the powerbanks I scavenged for the batteries does the job.

A plain TL-WN822N wifi adapter has about the same range as my home wifi router. Some testing with an improvised dish backing it improves that quite a bit. Next, I'll try adding a jumper from USB ground to the colander.The idea is not only range, but a good signal at that range for a fast data rate and being high on the list when people are looking at wifi connections on their phone.

IMG_20190518_sml.jpg

If I was going to be doing this a lot, or from a longer distance, I'd mod it like this:

On the downside, it would be harder to use it from inside a backpack. (Not that there's anything wrong with it, but people freak when they see things that they don't understand. Some people must freak all the time.)

I'm probably going to bundle "the message" inside a TiddlyWiki file. They're easy to build compared to a mediawiki, are self-contained, provide a good UX on a phone, and once loaded they don't take up any bandwidth on the connection. The disadvantage is that I don't get to see exactly which pages people are looking at, but some external images might help with that.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. TorontosRoot Member

It is a great idea. Customise it like a standard portal with required reading, to continue/connect. ;) it'll be worth it. Educating them about the front groups is key, because the cult is using those often to snag unsuspecting individuals for recruiting purposes.