Customize

[Wikipedia] Latham & Watkins Page

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NamelessEnvoy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. NamelessEnvoy Member

[Wikipedia] Latham & Watkins Page

First off, do NOT re-add the "Clients of Scientology" bit to the Latham & Watkins.

There was an OTRS complaint (Search WP:OTRS on Wikipedia) filed in regards to that page.

What does that mean?
    The section was completely removed from the current revision. From what I can tell the section will not be re-added until a situation is resolved, typically via private email between a ticket-handler and the complainant. It is completely confidentially, meaning the sender and content is impossible to discern unless you are really good at social engineering (because no system is safe from social engineering).

What does that mean?
    Chances are Latham and Watkins themselves contacted the OTRS volunteers because they may or may not want the information (which was decidedly critical) to come out (and they didn't want to reveal their involvement which is now more easily tracked than ever).
    Other possibilities include a general complaint (the section was not particularly well written at the point it was removed), a complaint from a sci, or something.
    In short, chances are the email was upset the very critical section was there. It was removed. This could be a legal-action email or a general concern email. Too many unknowns.

What can we do?
    Not much. OTRS seems to have more power than the average editor. However, the section remains visible in the history as well so we can always access it if need be.

I will contact the person who removed the section regarding potentially re-adding it. I however have no idea how ORTS actually works so I don't think I'll get much response. Hopefully though I'll find a solution. Or it will work itself out on the many boards.

TL;DR: The Latham/Watkins page has had its Scientology + C&D Letters section removed from the current version. Do not attempt to re-add it at the moment. It appears to be a semi-legal concern and messing with that would suck.

On the other hand, there's a new section about Wikileaks + Scientology up now on the Wikileaks page.
  2. Daywatch Member

Re: [Wikipedia] Latham & Watkins Page

uh....
  3. kimask2 Member

Re: [Wikipedia] Latham & Watkins Page

Should all their lawyers know that someone is trying to suppress the information on Wikipedia? The letters are facts and the suppression is facts too.
  4. kimask2 Member

5. Scud. Member

I don't get it.
  6. JohnnyRUClear Member

You're gonna, now.
  7. Anonymous Member

Wikipedia is screwed. On his page, Jimmy begged wikipedians to be nice to other people, predicting that people are writing software to attack. Finally they saw some pure client-side script-bots. The Wikipedia response? They go to spam sites and ban any proxy on any lists they see. This is the reason they give for banning. This is not going to work and everybody know it. OTRS is irrelevant now. But there are so many ops now so OP Wikipedia will be the last.
  8. Anonymous Member

Thanks for bringing this three-year-old thread back to life today. I have missed it so, what with its five poignant posts and such.
  9. Anonymous Member

Unless there's major monkeying in the articles by Scientology or apologist custard-heads, I don't think Wikipedia needs an OP. That war has already been fought.