Customize

Will Smith New Movie "After Earth" criticised for scientology references

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by RightOn, May 21, 2013.

1. RightOn Member

I just saw a commercial for "After Earth". Which stars Will and Jaden Smith.
    This is the first time I ever heard of this movie and it comes out May 31st?
    Anyone else hear about it?
    Another futuristic bomb?
    No budget to promote?
    discuss
  2. RightOn Member

and I forgot to mention the entire Smith family makes me cringe especially Jada
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wolfbane Member

I first seen mention of it late last week. Meh.
  4. RightOn Member

wonder why they waited so long?
  5. Anonymous Member

To avoid competing with Tom's futuristic movie
  6. amaX Member

They've been promoting the shit out of it on tv this past week.
    Danger is very real. BUT FEAR IS A CHOICE!
    It looks stupid.
    Someone needs to tell Jaden Smith to find another facial expression.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Anonymous Member

At last! An honest movie about Target 2.

"After Earth" Synopsis:
    Herbert Cornswaglle (Will Smith) and his son, Cornelius (Jaden Smith) are on a space-mission to clear some sort of weird, alien planet (portrayed by Earth). But, complications set in when their entire world view is revealed as a load of unadulterated bullshit.

Space-beasts and gun-weapons abound, as the entire Smith family put on talent-show style turns.

A worthy successor to "Battlefield Earth".
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Budd Member

Three quotes from IMDB.com - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1815862/?ref_=sr_1

"One thousand years after cataclysmic events forced humanity's escape from Earth, Nova Prime has become mankind's new home. Legendary General Cypher Raige returns from an extended tour of duty to his estranged family, ready to be a father to his 13-year-old son, Kitai. When an asteroid storm damages Cypher and Kitai's craft, they crash-land on a now unfamiliar and dangerous Earth. As his father lies dying in the cockpit, Kitai must trek across the hostile terrain to recover their rescue beacon. His whole life, Kitai has wanted nothing more than to be a soldier like his father. Today, he gets his chance."

The original idea for the film was about a father and son on a camping trip. The son would've had to make his way through the forest to find help for the father after the car they were traveling in careened off the road. Realizing that the idea had greater potential, producer Will Smith and screenwriter Gary Whitta decided to adapt the basic survival concept into a much larger science-fiction project.

A 300-page "bible" covering the history of mankind from their decision to leave Earth right up to the events depicted in the finished film was prepared by Eisner Award-winning comic writer Peter David alongside Michael Jan Friedman and Robert Greenberger. The bible would serve as a resource for all kinds of ancillary materials in the After Earth franchise.
  9. Anonymous Member

After Earth" Synopsis: Update

Herbert (Will Smith) is incredibly cool, and good at stuff - just about any stuff really. But his son, Cornelius (Jaden Smith) is also cool and good at stuff.

Herbert wonders if Cornelius is sufficiently cool and good at stuff. Perhaps Cornelius is too rebellious, which only makes him more cool.

After every one else dies, Herbert and Cornelius must learn from each other about being cool and good at stuff. Father and son are revealed as equally cool and good at stuff and, quite frankly, better than other people.

You will leave the movie whipping your hair back and forth with delight as the superiority of the Smiths makes its presence felt.

The one thing this movie is missing, however, is perhaps one more character who is cool and good at stuff. A "Tom Cruise" style character would have made this an 11 of 10 movie.

As it is, I rate it 10 out of 10.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. the anti Member

should it also be mentioned M. Night Shyamalan co-wrote and directed it?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Earth
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Anonymous Member

The "bible", in covering the history of mankind, tells of "Xelu", an intergalactic warlord; the obese dog incident; and various other crap.
  13. I saw my first trailer for this when I went to see Gangster Squad. They have been promoting it for several months.
  14. Anonymous Member

ITT talking trash about a movie nobody has yet seen or reviewed because posters don't like the actor or his son because they once gave a lot of money to Tom Cruise and David Miscavige's cult and refuse to publicly say anything bad about it.
  15. Anonymous Member

Is this your first day on the internet?
    • Like Like x 6
  16. RightOn Member

Perhaps...... oh I don't know... LURK MOAR?

I can NEVER stand Jada Pinkett Smith WAY before they ever opened their Scientology school. (yeah I know she is not in the film)
    The whole family has turned into this self righteous "we are da bomb" persona which I find quite sickening. The Scientology school they opened has made a potential threat to the children and unassuming parents of CA since the school teaches LRH study tech.
    I won't support ANY actor/actress or any other business that is owned by a Scientologist. It would be like giving my money to the cult down the line.
    And I certianly won't support anyone that opens a Scientology school that poisons children's minds with COS tech.

so back to the movie.....
    Will and Tom sure do love these futuristic save the planet type story lines eh?
    • Like Like x 6
  17. Anonymous Member

there are more on the tube
  18. RightOn Member

but on TV?
    I havent' seen any other commercials for it on TV until last night.
    My friend suggested not a big enough budget to promote?
  19. RightOn Member

"Fear is not real, it is a product of thoughts that you created, danger is very real, but fear is a choice"

and what created those thoughts Dumb ass?
    and who would pick fear as a choice?
    Sounds just like COS mumbo jumbo

So wait a minute.... did the COS create their fear.? yes
    And are they choosing fear? I guess they are.
    By Joe, I think Will Smoth is correct!

And BTW, what is happening with their Scientology school lately? Been awful quiet.
  20. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

I'm not sure this movie will do well. It looks pretty lame and certainly not in the same vein as Star Trek or Iron Man 3 (which is beating ass in the box office right now.) In addition: World War Z and Ender's Game is coming out. Along with a plethora of more interesting films. So this maybe another flop for the Will and Jaden Smith card.

Plot? Imagine An Inconvenient Truth happening only mutants appear too. Somehow Will "Not A Scientologist Butt" and Jaden "10 Lbs. Ego in a 1 Lb. bag" Smith end up crashing on the wrecked Earth. Jaden and Will fight mutants despite the Earth being a dead shit hole.

TL;DR: It is Battlefield Earth without aliens and Earth has mutants.

Based on what I seen: I give it 0 mg. Jaden's Ego and Arrogance emits a lot in the previews. Kind of like a sun emitting deadly radiation kind of way. It seemed more like a LRH adaptation of one of his books pre-Scientology/Dianetics. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was a LRH book. It just doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Seems more Special Effects and "Look At MEEE!!!" from the Will/Jaden camp.

Pass on it like it is a bucket of acid and AIDS.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. RightOn Member

22. OMG, I didn't know O. S. Card managed to get this made! I am excite!

When is it coming out? Where can I see a trailer?
  23. Budd Member

Internet Movie DataBase - www.imdb.com
    The kid's only 15yo?
  24. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Answers:
    11/1/2013
    and

According to Wikipedia: Will Smith wrote the majority of the script for After Earth before M. Night Shyamalan got involved...

So, I can safely have the feeling that this movie may suck a big one. Hell, it may help if Will, Jaden and Shyamalan sucked a big one half way though the movie.
    • Like Like x 3
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Will Smith Movie “After Earth” Being Called out By Critics for Scientology References

“After Earth,” the new Will Smith movie, is a bust. At least critically. Almost every critic and movie blogger hated, including yours truly. The movie is being cited for being dull, slow, and humorless. But it’s also being cited for referring to the text of Scientology, Dianetics.

www.showbiz411.com/2013/05/31/will-smith-movie-after-earth-being-called-out-by-critics-for-scientology-references

Muddle-'Earth'

Is 'After Earth' the worst movie ever made?

Excerpt:

I've never seen a movie that moves so slowly, or takes itself so seriously, which is why it doesn't seem like a movie at all, but a sermon whose central subject is fear: "Danger is real," the father tells the son, "but fear is a choice." So a right question might be why "After Earth" was made. The sermon echoes a central theme of Scientology. Is that the production's subtext, or are there reasons yet to be uncovered why humor and humanity have been essentially banished; why everyone looks pained; why the very notion of entertainment has been banished in favor of grinding didacticism, and why Mr. Smith, who has been such a brilliant entertainer over the years and decades, looks as if he has undergone a radical charismaectomy? It…is…all…very…mysterious…and…deeply…dreary.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324412604578515000854294308.html
    • Like Like x 10
  26. Kilia Member

Smith is a Scientologist whether he publicly admits it or not.
    • Like Like x 3
  27. Anonymous Member

WOW rotten tomatoes even hates it and they are MUCH more forgiving then regular critics!
  28. Anonymous Member

I don't think you know how Rotten Tomatoes works.
  29. Anonymous Member

"Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand me."

G9CQymF.png

Z5LPAGz.png[img].png
  30. That volcano is restimulating my latent BTs. HELP!!!!1111
  31. The inevitable result of Scientology.
    • Like Like x 5
  32. CarterUSP Member

I think Smith and Mrs Smith were producers on this. I can only imagine the egofagging that steamrolled this pile of crap of a film through any worthwhile criticism in the developmental stages. The usual scilon tone 40 intention trying to push through reality.
    • Like Like x 6
  33. RightOn Member

34. Anonymous Member

35. Anonymous Member

Will Smith and butthurt? Tell me it isnt so!
  36. Was Smith ever a good actor? The last thing I saw him do was that 'rap' video with Jazzy "Where Is I Now" Jeff.
  37. Anonymous Member

I don't think you know how it works.

Rotten tomatoes is both a site where real movie critics rate a movie. (well their reviews are collected) I tend to see a different set of reviewers on this site than I see elsewhere. (and the reviewers tend to be less, "I hate all normal good movies that are popular")
    and regular people who have seen the movie go and rate it. (fan vote)

And so far this more forgiving group who is more accepting of popular movies hates this film... which means it must really suck.
    Any questions?
  38. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Today the AIDS hits the fan. Already trash journalists from Entertainment Tonight Trash, Inside (your anus) Edition, and other Tabloid "but we really are journalists!" Trash are singing the praises of this flop.

Hell, my better half loves Will Smith and even she is saying this movie is a shit pile in the making and threatened to beat me within an inch of my life if I took her to it. That says a lot right there.
    • Like Like x 3
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

Whoa, After Earth Is All About Scientology!

By Matt Patches

This is not a review of After Earth. Rather, an intriguing underlying concept.

OK, this might be semi-crazy.

As far as I can tell, Will Smith has never blatantly stated he’s a member of the Church of Scientology while being a proponent of it. He’s been open about studying it and palling around with high profile elites like Tom Cruise, but in the end, he declares himself a “student of world religion.” In the end, it doesn’t really matter — but it’s hard to dismiss Smith’s ties to L Ron Hubbard’s sci-fi-inspired belief system when its ideas are all over his new film, After Earth.

I won’t get too spoilery here, but consider this:

In After Earth, Smith’s character Cypher Raige (ha!) is a commander in a human society that fled Earth 1,000 years ago. They escaped their ecologically-ravaged homeworld to a new planet that was picture perfect… minus a race of blind aliens with a thirst for the pheromones produced by fear. Convenient! What makes Cypher special is that he’s capable of “ghosting,” the ability to abandon fear and become invisible to the aliens. As we’ve seen in the trailers, circumstances eventually take Cypher and his son Kitai (Jaden Smith) back to Earth with company — a fear-hungry alien. Kitai ends up having to cross the terrifying forest land of Earth and his biggest problem is that he’s a total pussy. He is bubbling over with fear. He’s too fucking emotional and that makes him a huge target for the alien.

This struck me as Scientology 101. Cypher spends most of the movie guiding his son through the dangerous environments of evolved Earth, coaching him to drop his emotions and believe in his self. Fear is imaginary, a construct of the mind that can be abolished if you believe in your own abilities. To me, After Earth is all about cleansing the body’s “thetan,” or soul. If Kitai can leave behind the physical dangers of the world and invest in self-determinism, he’ll be triumphant. He’ll be a hero because he’s entitled to be one.

Scientology is all about personal survival — the the “first dynamic”— and that’s the key to Katai’s mission. Washing away the past, any bad decision he’s made, in order to come out on top. It’s the way his father has lived and it’s basically gone unpunished, even when he has massive mistakes on his record to show for it. Unlike many Hollywood science fiction movie’s, After Earth has an emphasis on self that I don’t believe is coincidence.

The auditing process also comes up.

Continued at http://mattpatches.com/post/51699814771/whoa-after-earth-is-all-about-scientology
    • Like Like x 6