Customize

Will Smith New Movie "After Earth" criticised for scientology references

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by RightOn, May 21, 2013.

1. RightOn Member

Why do all journalists seem to forget that Will Smith opened up a Scientology school years ago?
    Did they forget about it? Or do they not know about it?
    Someone has to remind them in the comments perhaps?
    New Village Leadership Academy in Calabasas CA. teaches L. Ron Hubbard Tech

even Wikipedia mentions they teach the tech!
    Even though it needs to be updated. Suri doesn't go to that school any more.
    Scientology ties []

magnify-clip.png
    Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' daughter Suri has attended the school since 2009.[17]
    The staff includes a number of Scientologists, including the Director of Learning, Director of Qualifications and Artistic Director,[4] as well as some of the school's teachers.[18] New Village Academy's Director of Learning, formerly the director of HELP in Boston, graduated from the Scientology Delphi School in Milton, Massachusetts.[4] The school's website lists "Study Technology", a form of education developed by Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard,[19] as one of its methodologies.[4] The website utilizes Scientology terminology including "spiraling" and "gradient" in order to illustrate how students learn in the school's programs.[4]"

WHY would Will Smith open a school like this unless he believed and followed the tech? He wouldn't.
    Congrats going out to Tom Cruise for turning an entire family into Ronbots!
    Like it or not Will Smith has a big fan base, and he can "turn a lot of people on" to the tech. Sad but true.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

According to the story, I was spot on about it being Battlefield Earth or a LRHish story.

Then again, Will "wrote" the story so I am not surprised that it'd have some Scientology references. Originally, AE was suppose to be set in this time and instead of them crashing on the chock full o' mutant Earth, it was a car crash that forces Jaden "da' douche bomb" to get help to his "Not a Scientologist Butt" father.

TL;DR: The movie is fail. Pure and simple.

It is because they chose not to. While Scientology has lost a lot of it's punch, it still has one that some fear or don't want to deal with.

Also, in a pinch Will could say "Durrr derp derp I didn't know what the school was teaching! I had no power to direct what they taught! Deeeerrrrppp...." and cover his "Not a Scientologist Butt" fast.

That may explain why not much has been done about Will making this school. He says he has no control over the curriculum and is doing it for some altruistic reason. For the most part, and due to lack of dox I cannot say without absolute certainty, I have doubts Will actually has any say in the curriculum.

That could also be a plus. Since Scientology is slowly becoming to people "that UFO cult", imagine what would happen if Will even tried blatantly using Tech to lure suckers in?

Spoiler: He'd become the Stale Prince of "that UFO Cult" fast.

Besides: Pride comes before the Fall. With Jaden and his daughter having the same egomania as their parents, it will be just a matter of time before people get tired of this narcissism and walk away. With the kids, that'll make their budding careers die off fast.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Anonymous Member

UH OH!
    lookey here!

RECENTLY Jada Pinkett Smith's Fendi shoes were auctioned off on Ebay and all the proceeds went to Will Smith's school on May 5th!

100% of the final sale price will support New Village Leadership Academy
    1333576723810.gif About this nonprofit:
    The New Village Leadership Academy is dedicated to the cultivation of powerful, self-educating leaders - men and women of virtue, wisdom and courage. We are nurturing extraordinary thinkers who are capable of creating healthy, happy, purposeful lives - world citizens who inspire greatness in others and propel humankind toward the greater good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jada-Pinket...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

OMG! moar
    From April 25 - May 5,
    bid on entertainment memorabilia and celebrity experiences to benefit New Village Leadership Academy! Auctions include wardrobe worn by Will Smith in Men in Black and Ali, a training session with Sugar Ray Leonard, a walk-on role on BET's The Real Husbands of Hollywood, autographed items from Mike Tyson, Jada Pinkett Smith's Yamaha motorcycle, tickets to TV show tapings, and much more.
    The New Village Leadership Academy (NVLA) is dedicated to the cultivation of powerful, self-educating leaders - men and women of virtue, wisdom and courage. NVLA nurtures extraordinary thinkers who are capable of creating healthy, happy, purposeful lives - world citizens who inspire greatness in others and propel humankind toward the greater good"
    http://stores.ebay.com/Auction-Cause-Charity-Auctions/NVLA-Auction.html

so, they are using Ebay to auction off stuff to raise money for their school? Not looking too good.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. RightOn Member

Calling Tony O to the white phone please!! ^^ great story!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. RightOn Member

NEVER a plus for anyone to get anyone in a cult. Many unassuming people will join through the Smiths. I am sure it will happen to their friends and family just like it happened to them. Slow and gradient and not a clue in the world about the dangers until it's too late. I would assume the Smiths are being handled very carefully by the COS. Being kept away from entheta and pouring on the courses THICK. IMO
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Problem is: That infiltration is slowing down thanks to Google, Chanology, and WWP. Only way somebody could be unassuming is if they lived in a cave for the last 5 years and/or don't know how Google fucking works (and probably wonders how a magnet works too...)

It is hard to say with any degree of certainty how many exactly will become Scientologists especially since Will and family vehemently deny being a Scientologist. That is probably why the number is rather small as for those who are indoctrinated being tied to any Smith connection.

While the evidence is strong Will and Co. are Scientologists, I frankly think Will is denying it because he doesn't want the same stigma that Tom Cruise and others have given it. If it were to be found out without a doubt, I am sure the same stigma that Tom, John, Kristy, and other noteworthy Scientologists have. So, he is throwing this "persona" that he isn't in order to be more effective and save himself from the ridicule and mockery that has occurred to Scientology as of late.

As for handling: I'm sure if there is, it is being done away from the public view. Otherwise it'd look like he was lying about not being a Scientologist.
  7. BlackRob Member

I am pretty sure Will Smith and co are Scientologists. In the Scientology FaceBook groups people are saying that Will Smith is a "theta" guy and stuff like that. They talk about 2 people: Tom Cruise and Will Smith.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. This movie leaves me in no doubt that he is a card-carrying(IAS) Scientologist.

On another note is there any chance Miscavige was involved in some way? This has his unfunny little hands all over it
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

It's May 31, 2013!

Why is it still open?

:D
    • Like Like x 5
  10. DeathHamster Member

Is it? Their site seems to be borked.

newvillageacademy.org
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

12. RightOn Member

hey that's my line! LOL!!!! <3
    indeed!

To Deathhamster, It must be still open, why did they run that recent auction (see post #43 above) if they are not open?
    After all, scilons don't collect for something that isn't there or open....... oh wait.....

I noticed a listing for a Village Leadership Academy in Chicago. Is this the same snow job? or are they legit?
    And why would they have the same name? Who opened first? If it was Chicago and it is a legit place, were the Smith's trying to bamboozle people by adding the word "New" to their school's title?
    And if the Chicago one is a scilon school. people need to know.

I thought I read somewhere that the Smith's have a face book page for their school. Does anyone have a FB account so they can check it?
    Or leave a comment?
    • Like Like x 2
  13. RightOn Member

Whether the indoctrination is slowing down or not, I don't want to see ONE more person join this insidious cult.
    I wonder how other scilons feel (privately of course) about Jada and Will denying it?
    Kinda hard to deny you are a Scientologist when you open a fucking school that teaches the tech
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

From Tony Ortega on Facebook:

Will Smith's $150 million apocalyptic film "After Earth" opens tonight, and already the critics have torn it apart as maybe the worst science fiction film in years. And more than a few of them say there's a strong whiff of Scientology about it. Let's take a look!

Is After Earth Will Smith’s Scientology Coming Out Party? « The Underground Bunker

http://tonyortega.org/2013/05/31/is-after-earth-will-smiths-scientology-coming-out-party/
    • Like Like x 3
  15. RightOn Member

Tony!!! you forgot about the Smith's Scientology school! WAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

The same author has just published a follow-up piece:

After Earth Is Will Smith’s Love Letter to Scientology

By Matt Patches

Will Smith has never spoken openly of his connections to the Church of Scientology, but they are well documented. Whether or not Smith is a devout member or simply curious about this Hollywood faith, he has visible ties to the group. In 2007, he donated $122,500 to several Scientology rehabilitation organizations. Two years later, he and wife Jada Pinkett Smith opened California's New Village Leadership Academy, a private school founded on the teachings of Scientology creator L. Ron Hubbard. Yet to this day, when asked about his own involvement, Smith suggests close friend Tom Cruise introduced him to the practices of Scientology, but that he's not a member. He's simply a "student of world religion."

The clearest evidence of Smith's investment in Scientology might be his newest blockbuster film — this weekend’s After Earth. Based on a story by Smith (and a script by Gary Whitta and director M. Night Shyamalan), the film is a father-son adventure that teams the superstar with his wunderkind offspring Jaden. Together, they traverse the dangerous landscapes of a creature-ridden future Earth. Surprisingly, what's been advertised as an Avatar remix plays out more like Battlefield Earth, another film that hews to the tropes of a science-fiction epic — just like Hubbard's doctrines for Scientology. Here’s how the film parallels the faith’s teachings:

Continued at www.vulture.com/2013/05/after-earth-will-smith-love-letter-to-scientology.html
    • Like Like x 3
  17. RightOn Member

yes!! finally! ^^^^
  18. wolfbane Member

Who is this awesome Matt Patches guy and why have we never heard of him before.
  19. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  20. Anonymous Member

Will Smith is the cult's official "I am not a Scientologist but..." spokesman.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. amaX Member

Somebody must have reminded Matt Patches. Right, The Wrong Guy?

Also I am in LoVE with the name Matt Patches!
    • Like Like x 3
  22. amaX Member

http://dlisted.com/2013/05/30/open-post-hosted-jaden-smith-iron-man

Open Post: Hosted By Jaden Smith As Iron Man

openpostjadensmithasironman.jpg

While most 14-year-olds were in school yesterday, Jaden Smith put on a crappy
    Iron Man costume his assistant bought on clearance at Party City and went to lunch in NYC with his 15-year-old girlfriend K-Something Jenner. Jaden Smith redefines &quot;smug&quot; every time he poses for a picture and he's quickly reaching Bieber levels of doucheness, but he gets points for taking attention away from a Kardashian. I give him that.

moar at link: http://dlisted.com/2013/05/30/open-post-hosted-jaden-smith-iron-man
    • Like Like x 5
  23. He has to be one of us right?

I don't want to start a whole guessing game or anything but his knowledge is spot on and his writing beautiful. He really sees straight through Smiths garbage.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Me neither. However, I think the Smiths are the last on the list of "Influential people that can influence others to the Cult". Mainly because he is African American... and we ALL know how L. Ron Hubbard loves him some African Americans:

He also doesn't have the same clout or influence as he once had. All he does now is these movies, have his kids act like mini-douches with egos that can incinerate a planet if it were converted to energy, and maybe do one or two interviews once in a while. Meanwhile, Celebs like Beiber, Lohan, and others would be better "influential models" since their lives are starting or are already in turmoil. Imagine what would happen if Beiber came out and said he was a Scientologist? It'd be way more influential than the former Prince of Bel Air is right now.

Bottom line: If Will and Crew aren't Scientologists, then they ought to stop giving them money, shut the school down and watch the end results. Guarantee ya he'll be singing a different song.

See above L. Ron Hubbard quote.

There is no debating what the school does or the fact Will and party made said school...

The issue, at least for me anyways, is that a person's motives and intentions are not always as clear as it appears. To many it may seem he is a Scientologists. Maybe he is.

However: Why lie and say you are not when you are doing something that makes it appear as though you are a Scientologist? Maybe he was just helping out Tom Cruise and his "church"? Maybe he is oblivious to what the "tech" is and has no idea that the school is, in fact, teaching Scientology doctrine? If he does know, does he realize the harm it is doing consciously?

There is so many questions, and honestly, not enough answers. The most important one is: If Will is truly not a Scientologist, why support them and act like he is one? If he really isn't, why doesn't he see the evidence that supports the claim he is one? However: If he truly is a Scientologist, why is he denying it? If that is his religion, why be so ashamed of it? Why not KSW instead of "I'm not a Scientologist, but..."?

I'm not debating that his actions are suspect because they are suspect and it is obvious. My only point of contention is that he denies being a Scientologist. Why he does that is the question and how far deep is he if he truly is a Scientologist?
    • Like Like x 2
  25. DeathHamster Member

If he's not a Scientologist, he should have heeded Councilor Dixon's warning: The stupid does rub off!
    • Like Like x 5
  26. PS,

The answer to the question is quite simple. Its the same reason that Cruise doesn't anymore talk about Scientology. Its Hollywood and it may adversely affect their careers. Its damaged Cruises career.

As I said above, this movie confirms for me that he is a Scientologist. The parallels with Scientology Doctrine so deliciously pointed out by Mr Patches above are obvious. But what really seals it for me is the poor quality, the lameness of the whole thing. Its what happens to all Scientologists - they lose touch with the world. They lose their funny, they lose their skill. You can just see him showing this piece of garbage to other Scientologists and getting a hearty love bombing. With an implied message of don't worry if the wogs don't get it. This is a work of art for the ages and when the orgs are deciding the law it will be rightly appreciated.
    • Like Like x 6
  27. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

I think I said something along those lines, but that is more of a valid reason and makes sense.

I agree. That is why I said very early on that this movie may not be the success Will, Jaden, or Sham-Wow thinks it will be. The previews alone told me that this was going to not be a good movie. I just kind of ignored the Scientology angle although I had suspicions it may have been a L Ron Hubbard book that predated his Scientology deal. Frankly though, the Mr. Patches post does push the Smiths directly into the "Definitely a Scientologist" Category.

I hope you and RightOn don't think I am defending Will or the Smith Klanl. I am not because I was trying, albeit in error, giving him a tiny bit of benefit of the doubt when it came to Scientology.

As for this movie, I seriously doubt it will be great because it has to contend with the ass kicker Iron Man 3. Jaden's fail troll reeks of desperation.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

'After Earth' as Scientology Propaganda: What Critics Are Saying

Desolate planets, bubbling volcanoes and all that talk about overcoming fear: Is Will Smith's new movie trying to sell us something more than a good time?

By Seth Abramovitch

Prospects look grim for After Earth, Sony's $130 million sci-fi feature from director M. Night Shyamalan, starring arguably the biggest star on the planet, Will Smith, acting opposite his progeny, Jaden Smith.

The film has grossed a meager $1 million in opening-night screenings, and reviews have been as lethal as the beasts that wander its CGI landscape. And many of those reviews have suggested that the film traffics heavily in the theology of Scientology.

Continued at www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/earth-as-scientology-propaganda-what-559943

Xenu alert? Critics label 'After Earth' Scientology propaganda

Is Will Smith hiding in L. Ron Hubbard's cupboard?

By Kat Giantis

http://social.entertainment.msn.com...spx?post=e0f3a34a-a5e0-46a6-aafd-4f086ff9ec62
    • Like Like x 3
  29. It has to be done this way. We must question everything and your questions were valid. At the end of the day we are still guessing based on his actions.

I must say the more I see of the Smiths the less I like them. And he started out at the top for me, the Fresh Prince was one of my early favourite shows.
    • Like Like x 4
  30. Anonymous Member

Dr T has a point
    http://gawker.com/after-earth-is-just-a-shitty-movie-not-scientology-pro-510569401
    well worth reading the whole article
    • Like Like x 2
  31. Kilia Member

Try this one, you'll get better results. ;-)
    www.nvlacademy.org
    • Like Like x 2
  32. Kilia Member

+1
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Anonymous Member

Well, I may be wrong but I'm certain, and I agree with Dr. T.
    Will might very well be a scilon, but this movie doesn't look to be evidence for it.
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

After Earth Plodding Planetary Picture | The Guardian Express

Excerpt:

A short while ago, an interviewer made a connection with some of the “sage advice” that Cypher gives his son with the booming Scientology religion. Booming with the Hollywood elite, that is. And like John Travolta’s abysmal love letter to Scientology via his 2000 film Battlefield Earth (made from a novel written by the founder of this wealthy man’s religion, L Ron Hubbard) it doesn’t work.

Although not as execrable as Battlefield Earth, After Earth (even the titles are similar) is still a love letter to the religion. More of a pandering of ideals hidden in the strange dialogue spouted by Cypher in the film than an actual vehicle for Jaden to show off his acting skills.

http://guardianlv.com/2013/05/after-earth-plodding-planetary-picture/
    • Like Like x 5
  35. Anonymous Member

Tony Ortega: Is After Earth Will Smith’s Scientology Coming Out Party?
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/05/31/is-after-earth-will-smiths-scientology-coming-out-party/

Excerpt:
    • Like Like x 1
  36. SOJOA Member

I don't understand why he hasn't come out and said he was a Scilon or why the Church hasn't encouraged him to. Have they changed tactics with their Celeb recruits? You love him, he plants the seed and talks like a lunatic, then comes out and people go OMG....there's something to this Scilon thing?!?!?!?

I don't get it.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 6
  38. bott Member

Needs more smoke

j9WUKFv.jpg
    • Like Like x 2