Customize

Will Smith New Movie "After Earth" criticised for scientology references

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by RightOn, May 21, 2013.

1. DeathHamster Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jun/05/will-smith-quit-blockbuster-films
    Mmmm'kay...

I think he should check his reality anchor points. Some of them seem to have come loose.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. RightOn Member

Will is planning to shift towards more artistic danger.
    BWA HA HA
    moar like movie goers said GTFO with this crap.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kilia Member

"...finding more danger in my artistic choices."
    I'm finding it harder to understand what he's saying these days, so wtf does he mean by that?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kilia Member

7. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 5
  8. SOJOA Member

Understood. This seems to be the first time that I have known where a Scilon has actively kited the direct question. Clearly he has had classes and "training" as well as audits Im sure. Just seems like perhaps it may be a new approach or Will Smith truely does not feel hes in the "church" but merely accepting the "tech".

I honestly dont know just seems really odd.
  9. RightOn Member

it means people said GTFO and he thinks another crappy movie not dubbed as a blockbuster will work
    I think the COS stole his mojo.
  10. Anonymous Member

More danger in artistic choices? Is he going to use lead-based paints and dodgy lighting rigs? Or just make shit movies?
  11. RightOn Member

Or just make more shit movies?
    FIFY
    and the answer is yes, more shit movies
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Anonymous Member

Perhaps a simple, unassuming character piece about a cool superhero who saves the world while making wisecracks, and struggling with finding the time to get audited. Meanwhile, his handsome, mini-me, son scowls through the demands of .. . Oh, never mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. timbit Member

Scientology Enthusiasts Start Support Group For Will Smith
    6513scientlogy.jpeg
    If you're a student of patterns like American treasure Will Smith, then you already know that the forum of media that we're in can't really handle the complexity of things that we say all the time. It's just a fact! But here's another fact: After Earth was an utter bomb at the box office. Thankfully, a group of Smith sympathizers are doing their darndest to cheer him up.
    The group of Scientology enthusiasts (or, more precisely, parodists) have posted the above signs around midtown. And they set up an elaborate website, CheerUpWillSmith.com, which includes video testimonials showing support of Smith and the much-maligned film. Is the whole thing a plot by Matt Zoller Seitz to encourage people to see the film? It is just an anti-Scientology mockery exploiting a movie that has been called a love letter to Scientology?
    Either way, Will Smith doesn't need your help cheering up. This is why he keeps Alfonso Ribeiro on speed-dial!

http://gothamist.com/2013/06/06/scientology_enthusiasts_start_suppo.php
    • Like Like x 10
  14. Kilia Member

...really...
  15. CarterUSP Member

Odd - welcome to scientology.
    Don't make the mistake of assuming you're dealing with an organisation where logic, sanity and reason have any footing whatsoever.
    • Like Like x 4
  16. SOJOA Member

17. Anonymous Member

It doesn't have logic, sanity and reason as you and I think of it, but they do have internal consistencies, certain patterns and ways of thinking about the world that can be seen, observed and noted. It makes them pretty predictable in how they talk about scientology and their relationship to the wog world.

I don't see those patterns in the way Will talks about it. He may be that good of an actor. But I think he just sees study tech and 'ethics' as colors on the palette, and that he's open minded.

But we know how COS feels about open minded people.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BlackRob Member

This is hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  19. CarterUSP Member

There is some degreee of internal consistency on the whole - but this is offset by the consistency of lil' Slappy (and hubbard before him) changing their mind on a whim leading to behaviours that are at odds with standard tech. And celebritites don't get treated the same as most raw public.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

Cheering Up Will Smith, and A Survey For You SPs! « The Underground Bunker

You’ve probably heard by now about the brilliant Scientology parody “Cheer Up Will Smith.” Pulled off by (we’d guess) some Times Square stand-up comedians (the place is lousy with ‘em), the parody consists of a website, numerous videos, and even some in-real-life fliers posted in Times Square itself.

The stunt appeared in the wake of Will Smith’s dismal new movie After Earth, which not only performed below expectations at the box office on its opening weekend, but endured a shellacking by critics who couldn’t help noting its thematic similarities with Scientology.

Smith and his wife Jada Pinkett Smith are generous contributors to Scientology-related causes, but they’re on the down-low about their own involvement with the church.

As we pointed out last week, however, the surly character Smith plays in After Earth sure comes off like Scientologists we’ve known — maybe he’s Kendrick Moxon of the 22nd century.

Anyway, the jokers & degraders behind “Cheer Up Will Smith” have hilariously pounced on the moment.

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2013/06/06/cheering-up-will-smith-and-a-survey-for-you-sps/
    • Like Like x 6
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Parody site seeks to 'Cheer Up Will Smith' after movie flop - MSN

"Cheer Up Will Smith" offers free tickets to see "After Earth" — in exchange for your soul.

Just how bad is Will Smith's new movie, "After Earth?"

The film pulled in just $27 million in its opening weekend, but a few Scientology parodists have stepped in to put some pep back into the step of the actor and his co-star and son, Jaden.

A team of so-called "Scientologists" has launched Cheer up Will Smith!, a parody website that offers the faithful a free ticket to see the dystopian sci-fi flick. All you have to do is sign a billion-year contract pledging your everlasting support to the Church of Scientology.

In addition to cutting ties with anyone who badmouths the Church, contract signers also must promise to say only positive things about the film and attend three additional, full-priced evening screenings – no matinees, second-run viewings or DVD bootlegs allowed.

Last but not least, Scientology leader David Miscavige pretty much owns you the moment you sign.

Continued at http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/parody-site-seeks-to-cheer-up-will-smith-after-movie-flop
    • Like Like x 8
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

After Earth Film Review: Scientologists do sci-fi again.... and by Xenu it's another stinker | Mail Online

By Christopher Tookey

Verdict: The Scientologists are back

Rating: Turkey

Up to now, the most notorious attempt to sell us Scientology in the cinema was John Travolta’s legendary stinker, Battlefield Earth.

Will Smith — who donated $122,500 to the cause in 2007 — and his more openly Scientologist wife Jada Pinkett Smith thought they could do better. After Earth is the catastrophic end product.

A strong contender for 2013’s worst film, it educates us about several precepts of Scientology — suppress emotion, be in the present moment alone, earn the respect of your father-figure, and become a kind of human robot.

That last bit is, incidentally, terrible advice to give actors.

Continued at
    www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2336867/After-Earth-Film-Review-Scientologists-sci-fi---Xenu-stinker.html
    • Like Like x 6
  24. Anonymous Member

Love motherfuckery. So much.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

Please tell me they are behind this.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

"And the hits just keep on coming!"

Mel Brooks Honored With American Film Institute Life Achievement Award - The Hollywood Reporter

At the star-studded black-tie dinner in Hollywood, Martin Short jokes, Mel "never lets his love of Scientology affect his work."

www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mel-brooks-honored-afi-life-564488
    • Like Like x 4
  27. DeathHamster Member

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2013/6/9/disaster_zone_of_dullness.htm
    • Like Like x 4
  28. RightOn Member

wonder if Jaden's acting has really suffered due Scientology
    The person above says he was good in the Karate Kid and horrible now (I didn't see it and I wouldn't, even if he wasn't a scilon) . Wonder if courses and TR's have killed his mojo just like his Dads? Or was it just a horrible script.
    I guess the next one will tell. They keep saying how it's there "family business".
    Whatever they come up with, you can count me out, the cult isn't getting one cent of my money.
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Anonymous Member

In TKK he had to play a spoilt petulant prick. Not so sure he was acting tbh.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. RightOn Member

indeed
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Church of Scientology responds to ‘After Earth’ comparisons, calling it ‘silly nonsense’ - The Global Dispatch

Excerpt:

Responding to the coverage of reports, the Church of Scientology made a response to The Global Dispatch.

“The film and its story line contain themes common to many of the world’s philosophies, not unique to Scientology,” said Karin Pouw of Church of Scientology International.

The official statement reads: “The myth launched by a handful of self-promoters that After Earth is about the Scientology religion and its tenets is silly nonsense. After Earth has as much to do with Scientology as Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Moby Dick, King Arthur, Homer’s The Odyssey or countless other stories about protagonists overcoming fears and opponents. The Church’s website, scientology.org, contains accurate information on the Church and the many social programs it supports.”

“Scientology is not alone in addressing unwanted emotions such as fear and this topic is hardly unique to any one religion when you consider overcoming fear has been a universal theme in stories for thousands of years as well central to countless film plots. For example, the dialogue “Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering” using this same logic would seemingly make Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace a “Scientology-themed movie,” Pouw added.

www.theglobaldispatch.com/church-of-scientology-responds-to-after-earth-comparisons-calling-it-silly-nonsense-19861/
    • Like Like x 2
  32. I got tickets for this disaster of a movie doing a little rant on our favourite cult on our local indy radio and in turn they cave my tickets to this POS they should've punched me in the gut instead of offering me this brain rotting experience. Been there, done that, saw it, got shit on my all of my five senses
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Anonymous Member

Lol
    Cheer Up Will Smith on Twitter:https://twitter.com/HelpScientology
    Tweets
    1. cef10eb859e5c15e0c023512ccf35169_normal.jpeg Help Scientology@HelpScientology 6 Jun
      @JulietteLewis Have you seen After Earth yet? #sogood #mustsee #literallyyoumustseeit

Expand
    2. cef10eb859e5c15e0c023512ccf35169_normal.jpeg Help Scientology@HelpScientology 6 Jun
      Want a free ticket to @AfterEarth? Just sign a billion year contract with @Scientology! http://cheerupwillsmith.com/Free_Movie_Ticket.html …

Expand
    3. cef10eb859e5c15e0c023512ccf35169_normal.jpeg Help Scientology@HelpScientology 6 Jun
      @Scientology members, you are required to see the movie @AfterEarth a minimum of three times. Failure to do so will result in punishment.
    • Like Like x 5
  34. eddieVroom Member

• Like Like x 4
  35. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  36. Jesus christ Clams are upvoting and promoting the movie to hell at ESA now it is at four stars thankfully
  37. Anonymous Member

This is in the education section and outrageous.
    They will get a sharp letter and I hope to get other scientists support.
    Does NASA or others space agenies do similar shit?

Meanwhile this vote could do with some little love ...
    • Like Like x 2
  38. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  39. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2