Customize

Will Smith New Movie "After Earth" criticised for scientology references

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by RightOn, May 21, 2013.

1. RightOn Member

I agree Skep, I couldn't figure out why they (him and Jada) were even there. By the way, they ranked on her dress. tee hee
    Why did he present and further more, why did Travolta present? Although I was so glad he did wink wink
    Maybe someone asked/begged the peoples that be for them to present. you know.... to keep them relevant.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. th?id=HN.607998452407273599&pid=15.1.jpg
    2013 Worst Pictures Razzie Winner:
    Battlefied Derp Sequel:
    ''AFTER DERP''
    It's not about Scientology, mkay.......

Free disposable Derp mask with admission (in case 1 thows up in their mouth a little while viewing)
    • Like Like x 4
  3. RightOn Member

NightOwl, you forgot that they were also voted worse acting duo, or whatever they called it
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Nearly bought it out curiosity.
    But I know I would have the buyers remorse and would have set it on fire.
  5. DeathHamster Member

So want to see a leaked copy of the Will Smith interview!

Did he talk human, or did he babble in ScienoSpeak?
    • Like Like x 3
  6. DeathHamster Member

embarrassed.gif
    • Like Like x 3
  7. JohnnyRUClear Member

111810jones.jpg

So that's how it is in their family....
    • Like Like x 3
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. BrainStorm Member

Can we just agree that Hollywood is part of Scientology?
    Or am I missing something here hehe
  10. White Tara Global Moderator

We might have agreed if you had said Hollywood sucks. But since you didn't I cannot stand back in good conscience and allow you to paint all the good, kind, and selfless non Scientology celebrities with the LRONBRUSH,
    /sarcasm :p
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BrainStorm Member

12. RightOn Member

Noticed Smoth has a new flick
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

Will Smith on Kids, His Career, Ferguson, and Failure | Esquire

"Wild Wild West was less painful than After Earth because my son was involved in After Earth and I led him into it. That was excruciating. What I learned from that failure is how you win. I got reinvigorated after the failure of After Earth. I stopped working for a year and a half. I had to dive into why it was so important for me to have number-one movies. And I never would have looked at myself in that way. I was a guy who, when I was fifteen my girlfriend cheated on me, and I decided that if I was number one, no woman would ever cheat on me. All I have to do is make sure that no one's ever better than me and I'll have the love that my heart yearns for. And I never released that and moved into a mature way of looking at the world and my artistry and love until the failure of After Earth, when I had to accept that it's not a good source of creation."

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/interviews/a9938/will-smith-interview-0315/

Will Smith admits 'After Earth' was 'the most painful failure in my career' | Business Insider

http://www.businessinsider.com/will...-the-most-painful-failure-in-my-career-2015-2
    • Like Like x 3
  14. RightOn Member

"All I have to do is make sure that no one's ever better than me"

not too pompous
    • Like Like x 2
  15. RightOn Member

hope his new movie bombs
    • Like Like x 3
  16. 249

He sounds like L. Ron Hubbard or Marty Rathbun.
  17. BigBeard Member

Someone's must be stuck with a bunch of "AE" DVD's. The local grocery puts out a $5 DVD bargain bin once a month or so. This week there's a sign reading, "Free 'After Earh' DVD with any regular $5 DVD purchase" on the side of the bin. There's a stack of "AE"'s, mostly getting ignored, on a shelf next to the bin.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 6
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

Will Smith's Fall from Commercial Grace | The Stranger

Or, I'm the DJ, He's the Former Number-One Box-Office Star in the World

By Charles Mudede

Will Smith. Not too many years ago, that was the biggest name in Hollywood. It sold nearly $6 billion in tickets worldwide, and domestically, it represented the only actor to have eight consecutive films that made more than $100 million at the box office. To add even more amazement to these achievements, Will Smith is black. There was nothing like this kind of black success before him, and we may never see its like again. We can now safely see Smith as a thing of the past, as it's hard to believe that his new movie, Focus, which opens this weekend and concerns a middle-aged hustler who has a thing with a young and pretty fellow hustler, will return him to glory.

Rumor has it that Smith picked up the role in Focus after it was first dropped by Ryan Gosling and then Ben Affleck. Also, Variety reported in 2013 that when Smith became officially attached to the project, Kristen Stewart (an actress made famous by the Twilight series), who was then slated to play the romantic interest of the lead, left it because "the age difference between the two would be too large a gap." (At the time, Stewart was 23 and Will Smith was 44.) The weird thing is that Stewart was happy to play the role when Ben Affleck, who is 42, was to be her partner in crime. Was this maybe a race thing? Did Stewart leave because she did not want to be seen kissing and fucking a black man in thousands of theaters across America? Either way, it only shows how far Smith has fallen. There was a time when no one saw any race in Smith. All they saw was the brilliance of his fame and the mountains of his money.

This is the background for Focus, the first film Smith has starred in since the 2013 box-office disaster After Earth. Indeed, Smith recently said in an interview with Esquire that After Earth was the "most painful failure" of his career. The pain was worsened, he further explained, by the fact that it involved his son Jaden Smith, who might be permanently damaged by the bad experience. Following After Earth, Smith stopped working, dove into himself, and tried to find that self that had generated an impressive, record-breaking string of summer hits. Where is this person now? What Smith clearly doesn't know is that the old self he is looking for did not disappear with After Earth but with Seven Pounds. This 2008 film is the apple that the snake in his garden of successes tricked him into eating.

We must remember that Will Smith is an empty human being. His fame is not built on talent but on the absence of it. He is not incredible; he is only likable. And the moment he attempts to do more than be just likable is the moment we run into serious trouble. That trouble began with Seven Pounds, which Gabriele Muccino directed. (The Italian also helmed one of Smith's biggest hits, The Pursuit of Happyness.) In Seven Pounds, Smith plays a heavyhearted, brooding soul who is working on an elaborate plan to donate his vital organs to morally upstanding people. Do you want his eyes when he dies? Are you desperate for his liver? If you are not a good person, you are not getting an organ from him! He commits suicide in a bathtub.

The film showed that Smith had lost something that kept his career in the stratosphere: his self-knowledge of his essential mediocrity. We looked all over the film for it, but Smith kept hiding it with this thing that looked vaguely like acting. Smith's new self-perception as an actor of substance — wrought by fame, success, and probably Scientology — led to his downfall. Maybe Focus will pull him out of the massive and still-smoldering wreckage.

And maybe there will be an After Earth 2.

Source:
    http://www.thestranger.com/film/features/2015/02/25/21778099/will-smiths-fall-from-commercial-grace
    • Like Like x 4
  19. RightOn Member

Scientology works and it helps people.
    Right? Will?
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 3
  21. Anonymous Member

I liked it, except for the *bleeping* of commonplace words.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Where Will Smith Went Wrong | Decider

By Meghan O'Keefe

Excerpt:

Smith has a few franchises under his belt, namely Men In Black and Bad Boys, but he’d always relied on analyzing patterns and careful planning to ensure his success. In fact, Smith has revealed that when he decided that he wanted to be “the biggest movie star in the world,” he sat down with his production partner and looked at the top ten films of all time. He said, “We realized that ten out of ten had special effects. Nine out of ten had special effects with creatures. Eight out of ten had special effects with creatures and a love story.” So, Smith took these patterns and applied them to his career choices and he found great success. In the years since 2008, if you look at the top ten films at the box office, you’ll see kids movies, bulletproof franchises, and one popular drama. By the time 2013 rolled around, Smith’s formula was broken. Even if it had been a good movie, the odds were stacked against After Earth, a scientology-tinged science fiction flick based on an original concept that Smith and his teen son wrote.

Speaking of Scientology, Smith has been dogged with rumors about his affiliation with the pseudo-religious organization for years. Now that the public’s attitude has swayed against Scientology (and the upcoming documentary Going Clear should only add to the backlash), it’s bad to be associated in any way with the group. While Tom Cruise and John Travolta have publicly affirmed their involvement with the church, Smith has denied being a full member. Perhaps now is the time to cut the cords completely in the hopes that it puts Smith in a better light than Cruise and Travolta.

http://decider.com/2015/02/27/where-will-smith-went-wrong/
    • Like Like x 4
  23. RightOn Member

Affiliation? Pfft! He opened a god damn school that taught the tech!
    • Like Like x 2
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Former Scientology Senior Executive: ‘Will Smith Is Not A Scientologist’ | The Daily Beast

We sat down with ex-Church of Scientology fixer and senior executive Mike Rinder and Scientology expert Tony Ortega, who claim that the rumors about Will Smith are false.

<snipped>

The Daily Beast sat down with Mike Rinder and Tony Ortega, two of the subjects of Alex Gibney’s eye-opening documentary-exposé, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, in theaters March 13. Rinder was a second-generation Scientologist who was shipped off to Sea Org at the age of 6. Later, from 1982 to 2007, he served on the board of directors of Church of Scientology International and was their executive director of the Office of Special Affairs — essentially acting as one of their primary “fixers” responsible for putting out all manner of legal and PR fires. He left Scientology in 2007 after a dispute with its draconian chief, David Miscavige. Ortega is a journalist who’s been covering Scientology since 1995 and nailed several scoops while at The Village Voice. He started The Underground Bunker blog, which focuses on Scientology coverage, and is the executive editor of The Raw Story website.

When asked if Smith was a Scientologist, they both responded in unison: “Will Smith is not a Scientologist.” (Smith's representatives refused to comment.)

Ortega expanded a bit. “There’s not that many celebrities in Scientology, and the young ones were born into it, and the other ones people cite — Cruise, Travolta, and Kirstie Alley — got into it in the ’70s and ’80s. They have not attracted a major star in 25 years. The only young Scientologists on the celebrity scene were all born into it. Beck was born into it. Giovanni Ribisi was born into it.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...cutive-will-smith-is-not-a-scientologist.html
    • Like Like x 3
  25. RightOn Member

wat?
    A non Scientologist opened a school that taught study tech?
    If true, he is one of the biggest shills since sliced bread.
    • Like Like x 3
  26. BigBeard Member

Umm...Will who?

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Woll Smoth of course:

Woll-Smoth.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  28. embarrassed-gif.233792.gif
    ''Don't be so confused, son, I'm not schizophrenic or a scientologist........and.........well....... neither am I.''
    • Like Like x 2
  29. RightOn Member

so mad his movie is doing well. Although it wasn't up against anything else big time except Spnge Bob lolo.
    Had it been, it would have suffered. IMO
    • Like Like x 1
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

‘Will Smith is not a Scientologist’ — we elaborate on our quote the press went wild for yesterday | The Underground Bunker

Your proprietor has been laid low by a virus right in the middle of all this intense publicity for Alex Gibney’s film, Going Clear. This is what we get for leaving the confines of the Bunker and interacting with germy human beings.

So we’re going to keep things short today, and trust our commenters to fill in by keeping an eye on all of the crazy press going on as we near the movie’s theatrical debut next week.

So we’ll start with yesterday’s Daily Beast article that took some people by surprise. In it, Mike Rinder and yours truly were quoted to say that Will Smith is not a Scientologist. We want to elaborate on that a little.

We have known for years that the dedicated Scientologist in the family was Will’s wife Jada Pinkett Smith. In 2008, the Smiths opened up a private school that used Scientology “Study Technology,” and also used ideas from Scientology “ethics.” The school was financed for three years by the Smiths, then struggled to bring in enough funding to continue, and it closed up in 2013.

We still have the only interview with the school’s first principal, Jacqueline Olivier, who told us about Will Smith enforcing the Scientology rules at the school.

But we had an excellent source very close to Will who told us that the actor was a dabbler who had an interest in all religions, “but belonged to none of them.” If Will enforced Scientology at the academy, it was an experiment he and his wife were trying seven years ago.

Rinder and your proprietor continue to monitor these kinds of things, and we each received new information that Will Smith’s fascination with Scientology is over. Our source on this is really very excellent, which is why we spoke so definitively to Marlow Stern, the Daily Beast reporter, whose story quoted us accurately throughout. We also believe that Jada has also ended her involvement.

We can already hear the questions. What about After Earth?. Well, After Earth was a very bad movie that made use of a lot of tired science fiction tropes, but Carnegie Mellon University professor Dave Touretzky pointed out that movie critics were quick to claim that there was a Scientology connection when he didn’t see one at all.

So, to sum up. Jada was really into the e-meter, and Will supported his wife’s interest by enforcing L. Ron Hubbard’s “technology” at their private school. But Will was only a dabbler, and today they’re both done with Scientology.

As for their kids — whoa, are they screwed up.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/05/wi...-our-quote-the-press-went-wild-for-yesterday/
    • Like Like x 3
  31. RightOn Member

"Dabbler" or not, if he is done with the COS and he ever speaks out AS A CRITIC, (I won't hold my breath) or says WHY idiot Jada and him decided to leave after funding a sci tech school and "dabbling" themselves and their children in it then they will be added to the Big List.
    We have other "dabblers" on the list.
    So the question is.. if one takes COS courses, does auditing and opens up a school that teaches the tech, and donates money.
    Then where does the "dabble" end? As far as I am concerned, they did all the steps that any other person would do to become a scilon.
    What makes them any different? I think they did a hellla lot more than some of the dabblers on the Big List.
    • Like Like x 3
  32. RightOn Member

Will Smith to star in a new movie called Suicide Squad
    His character will be Deadshot. But I am sure you guys already know this
    this from 2 months ago:
  33. RightOn Member

So there is this show called "Impractical Jokers".
    In the show they perform pranks on each other and whoever loses has to pay a penalty.
    One of the penalties was getting a tattoo and the one they received was kept a secret until the reveal.
    One of them got a tattoo of Jaden Smith on his thigh as his punishment :D
    It takes a while to load:

http://redditlurker.com/pics/Post/t3_2i82tq
  34. Ogsonofgroo Member

omg ro!111!!1
    lurch-and-wednesday-o.gif

...and... the people danced...
    • Like Like x 1