Customize

Will Smith opens Scientology school!

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Joyful, May 16, 2008.

1. DeathHamster Member

Re: Will Smith opens Scientology school!

Probably same as an Ethics Officer (which is the real name of the position on Hubbard's Org Board).
  2. anon1957 Member

I gotta take issue with this dictionary shit. Now, I happen to love dictionaries. So much so that I own several HUGE ones, including the OED and American Heritage.

I have been an obsessive reader since I was a kid, and unless I am reading something incredibly technical, I hardly EVER use a dictionary upon a 1st read because I can usually figure out what a word means from the context in which it is used. That was the way I was taught reading comprehension back in the day when most kids read at or above grade level.

I have learned the meaning of most words that I use by osmosis--which is the way most of us learn language. Little kids don't need to be told what words mean--they learn through being exposed to the word and the context in which it is used repetitively. People don't learn to speak foreign language fluently by looking words up in a dictionary--they learn to speak them by learning to listen to and to imitate other fluent speakers. (yes, in the early stages of learning to read a foreign language, a dictionary is essential, but later one learns to ditch the dictionary and learn a word's meaning by understanding the context in which it is used. Particularly with idioms which rarely translate well.)

Literate people don't sit around reading books with a dictionary at hand. In fact, doing so, interrupts the flow of one's reading.

So when do I use a dictionary? When I am curious about the history of a word's usage and its etymology. Or when I truly cannot figure out--by reading between the lines of what I am reading--what a word means. For any real reader, that is rare. If you need a dictionary to get through a page or a chapter, there is something wrong with not only your reading comprehension but your imagination.

An example: When I signed on to enturbulation back in Feb, I had never been on a chan board, but I was able to pretty quickly figure out the gist of chanspeak without having to go look up the word somewhere or ask someone what it meant. There were a few exceptions and for that reason, I was grateful to learn of the existence of ED. But I didn't have to use my OED to understand ED.

tl;dr--all aspects of Elron's "study tech" suck and work toward making it harder for someone to figure shit out on their own. If a kid can figure out that he can figure out what a word means without a dictionary, he also figures out that he can figure anything out without being told exactly what to think about this or that.
  3. CrazyDelaney Member

4. SmackThePony Member

Hana Eltringham, the captain of the Apollo, recalled what Hubbard did with a small boy who had chewed a telex:

"He put this 4½ year old little boy - Derek Greene - into the chain locker for two days and two nights. It's a closed metal container, it's wet, it's full of water and seaweed, it smells bad. But Derek was sitting up, on the chain, in this place, on his own, in the dark, for two days and two nights. He was not allowed to go to the potty. I mean he had to go in the chain locker on his own, soil himself. He was given food. And I never went near it, the chain locker while he was in there, but people heard him crying. That is sheer, total brutality. That is child abuse."
    (Hana Eltringham, interview on Secret Lives - L. Ron Hubbard, Channel 4 Television, November 19, 1997)
  5. Spork Member

Excellent link C.D.

The concluding paragraph:

"The real danger of Study Tech is that it was designed for indoctrination, not education. While it may be good at producing obedient Scientologists, it is completely at odds with promoting the ability to think independently. It quite deliberately aims to reduce a student's ability to think critically. Students are taught to distrust their own intelligence and background knowledge, passively and uncritically accepting whatever they are being told. This can only deprive students of a skill vital in an age saturated with conflicting messages, where critical thinking is essential to making sense of the world. Study Tech's doctrinaire and authoritarian approach to teaching is hostile to, and deserves no place in, secular educational institutions."

Scientology's Study Technology - Essay -- Dr. David Touretzky and Chris Owen
  6. Re: Will Smith opens Scientology school!

Will is now officially an Heretic, destroy all works and CDs related to him of your home ASAP! DO NOT LET SCIENTOLOGY TAINT YOUR SOUL!
  7. Plups Member

8. Joyful Member

You put this much better than I. I kept trying to figure out a way to explain it and you did it beautifully. Here. Take my English degree. I'm not worthy!!

Seriously, though, you are so right. My children are voracious readers, especially my son. He's in the 3rd grade and reads on a 12th grade level. He read Little Women in 1st grade just because it was laying around the house and he was bored. He spent 2nd grade reading all the Harry Potter books.Then moved on to Eragon and Eldest. I can probably count on one hand the number of times he's had to ask me what something mean. His vocabulary, as well as my daughter's, scores off the charts of those standardized tests. It's very rare on of them asks for a dictionary. I'd be hard pressed to actually find the dictionary in my house!
  9. anon1957 Member

deleting double post.
  10. anon1957 Member

My memories of my childhood english classes have come back to me. When vocabulary and spelling were taught:

We were given a sentence to read. In the sentence was a particular vocabulary word that we were to "learn." We were to define it in our own words and then to write our own sentence using the word properly. Dictionaries were available, but we weren't required to use one. They were available if one was needed. Kids who were good ar reading comprehension rarely needed one.

This is a very different process than looking up words in a dictionary and memorizing a definition.

From Touretzky's article (http://www.studytech.org/study_tech.php):

Learning to understand and use language is all about understanding context, which in turn cultivates critical, independent & creative thinking. Good writers and speakers develop the capacity to use words originally and imaginatively, while remaining faithful to their essential meaning.

Can you imagine reading a poem using LRH's "study tech?" Or Shakespeare?
  11. DeathHamster Member

I'm sure that they never tell kids about debates of whether dictionaries are supposed to document or define the use of words.

It'll be good practice for them later when they have to look up a bookshelf of Hubbard policies and carry out the directions without question.
    clamhuntercat.jpg
    Scientology's Scripture - The Red and Green volumes
  12. Anonasaurus Member

Boy, are they touchy over there at willsmith.com... I was bannedfagged within seconds of my post. and called a racist.
  13. holdemm Member

14. Amnon Nhymous Member

I bet it's the standard reply to harsh comments.
    This is a site where they worship Willy... May be the beginings of a cult... ;)
  15. Unlisted Member

16. mojo Member

17. Daywatch Member

NEED /b/lackup!!!!

i've had 2 socketpuppets nuked and all scilon threads baleeted
  18. Lord_Nuke Member

I'm poking in there a bit on the topic. By acting like I belong there, they haven't jumped to ban me yet, and so far my scientology thread has gone un-edited or deleted.
    Disregard, they've deleted it.
  19. anonEmouser Member

Just did a driveby harpooning of InEntertainment's story on this.
  20. Lord_Nuke Member

I'd be willing to take a stab that willsmith.com is run by scilons, given they're actively removing any information on scientology that pops up.
  21. anonEmouser Member

I dunno about that necessarily...however they probably have "anything with a will smith+scientology association" on their must-nuke list.
  22. Fleaman Member

I wonder what Will Smith thinks about Hubbard's notorious racism. In a letter to his first wife, Polly Grubb, he wrote: "You shouldn't be scrubbing the floor on your hands and knees. Get yourself a nigger; that's what they're born for."
    And more racist rantings in this video:
    YouTube - Is Will Smith a scientologist? Hubbard's racism &Scientology
  23. churchlady Member

Ready for boots on the ground?

Before the schools in the area let out for the summer, I want to have a low key flyer raid.

PM me if you want to hang out in Calabasas one afternoon next week.
  24. churchlady Member

I was looking at the New Village Academy site and saw that they no longer list the faculty members. I wonder why? Enturbulate much?
  25. inlandanon Member

SONY doesn't want a BOYCOTT of HANCOCK:fuckyou:

2L8
  26. Photonymous Member

Staff page is indeed down, and they're hiring a new Kindergarten teacher too. Previously the staff page listed "Marcia Perkins, kindergarten and first grade teacher" who is a scientologist. Maybe they're firing everyone we exposed.

also
    Looks like a fun event
  27. Hieronymous Member

Umm, come to think of it, did anyone even picket the Oprah episode? I didn't hear anything about that

Good find btw, I'm gonna post it to a new thread for mini raid purposes
  28. Re: Will Smith opens Scientology school!

:frustration:

As a teacher, I've long had serious concerns with Scientology schools, as well as with idiot celebrities claiming genius IQs. I almost want to get a job there in order to infiltrate, but I know they'd pay dick.
  29. AnonMSW Member

crosspost from http://forums.whyweprotest.net/7-general-discussion/organizing-boycott-hancock-premiere-15873/

I think it's relevant and wanted to bring other thread to people's attention if they'd not already seen it:

blah blah blah... my suggestions for content of information leaflets... blah blah...

"I understand that people like Will Smith, so don't directly "attack" him. These are real facts, not just bullshit of the net. If nothing else, everybody who didn't enjoy the movie and walked away with a flyer in their pocket and found it the next day or whenever they do laundry, might seriously be motivated to go "Hmmm, maybe I better take a look."

He made a million dollar buy-in at one of the largest no-limit, winner take all poker games in history when he donated that money. Let people draw their own conclusions, but let's at least take the opportunity to fully inform his viewing public and fan base."

Go check it out..
  30. churchlady Member

Last call for operation: New Village Idiot Academy
  31. AnonMSW Member

I wish I was in Cali to go with ya'll... know that my prayers and my lulz are with you!!!

:anon:, MSW
  32. churchlady Member

Thanks for the good wishes. Brochures ready, planning my disguise. It's Calabasas, land of very pampered church ladies. I should get a mini pedi before I go.
  33. Lord_Nuke Member

Good luck, and Godspeed.
  34. anon1957 Member

That is an incredible article and deserves a thread in breaking news imo. Really excellent research, and even quotes the TruthaboutScientology.com.

The headline is breathtaking...
  35. churchlady Member

What a great article! I'm going to print it out to take flyering with me as soon as my fingernails and toenails dry.
  36. Anonyknit Member

I wonder if the teachers at this alleged "school" have teaching degrees; it's pretty near standard for North America that teaching degrees include at least a couple of courses in child development psychology; given $cientology's fear and hatred of psychology and psychiatry, people with teaching degrees are probably not allowed anywhere near their children. Do other paying customers of NVA know about this Co$ rule?
  37. churchlady Member

I think I saw on their website that they're looking for a kindergarten teacher, CA or other state credential required.

Anybody want to apply?
  38. anon1957 Member

There is NO legal requirement that private school teachers have teaching degrees or any academic qualification whatsoever.

However. It that school wishes to be accredited then it MUST have properly credentialed teachers. Parents may not think it is such a big deal if a primary school is credentialed, but if they intend to send their kids to a credentialed high school (essential for college admissions) then the primary school must be certified.

But it is unlikely that WS cares, since he has stated that he basically thinks college is a waste of time. Something the scilons have been spouting to its members for years so it can grab its members kids for the Sea Org.