Customize

William S. Burroughs was EXPELLED out of the cult, and wrote an EXPOSE on scientology

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Bubbles, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Bubbles Member

How many of you have heard that Burroughs was in scientology? I have on several occasions, but I never could find out the facts on his involvement nor his conclusions.

Finally a book has surfaced that lays the facts bare, and Burroughs tells it like it is - and it ain't pretty!

When Burroughs became disenchanted with scientology (i.e. he woke up), he started asking questions, (and we all have experienced how well that is received!), he was declared in TREASON.
    Below is an article by Stephen J Gertz, about Burroughs and his book, which exposes scientology for all to see and finally sets the record straight!

"Serendipity struck Scientology when, simultaneous to actress Leah Remini's recent and very public defection from the controversial organization, a copy of William S. Burroughs exposé, Ali's Smile / Naked Scientology, came to market. It wasn't just any ol' copy. It was a Presentation Copy, Allen Ginsberg's, inscribed by Burroughs on the front wrapper, "For Allen / Love / William S. Burroughs," and signed "Allen Ginsberg aug 30, 1979 City Lights" on the half-title.

The book collects the author's various newspaper and magazine essays on Scientology and the Scientology-themed short story, Ali's Smile. Burroughs joined the organization during the Sixties, took courses, and became a "clear." But soon afterward he became disenchanted with the group's authoritarian and secretive nature and left the organization in 1970. Officially expelled, he was declared by Scientology to be in a "Condition of Treason."

"In view of the fact that my articles and statements on Scientology may have influenced young people to associate themselves with the so called Church of Scientology, I feel an obligation to make my present views on the subject quite clear..."

Scientologists are not prepared to accept intelligent and sometimes critical evaluation. They demand unquestioning acceptance.

"Mr. Hubbard’s overtly fascist utterances ....
    For more details:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

And there is also this recent book:
    Scientologist! William S. Burroughs and the 'Weird Cult'
    by David S. Wills (publication date: March 12, 2013)
    http://www.amazon.com/Scientologist-William-Burroughs-Weird-ebook/dp/B00BT3GOT8
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Enturbulette Member

I do not have the dox, but I can vouch for the fact that it has been noted with awe that William Burroughs was probably the first and certainly the most notorious squirrel that actively waged war on the cult after his exit, and the first to get a lot of money BACK from them - thousands of dollars at least which was something back then.

Just don't fuck with junkie hippie old gay post-modernist fearless half-dead squirrel writers.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Anonymous Member

That's pretty insulting to the ones before him like Nan McLean. Maybe if Scientologists had been caught breaking into the lawyer's office representing William burroughs it may have made bigger news.
  6. Anonymous Member

Nan was a squirrel? Never knew that.
  7. Anonymous Member

When you're a nutter, everyone against you is a squirrel.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. wolfbane Member

I bought this in early June and have been so dang busy I haven't gotten past the first 10 pages or so (and started-over twice due to time lag). But it looks like a fascinating read, I just need to find some downtime to get thru it.
  9. Anonymous Member

10. Anonymous Member

Naked Scientology.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Anonymous Member

scientologist cover_preliminaryblack.png

For anyone interested in the work and/or fascinating life of WSB, this book could possibly be of some interest.

David S. Wills is very sincere and sensitive in his approach to the subject, and is the first to provide a detailed report on this aspect of Burroughs' interests and involvements.

I do hope that the text obtains a second edition because the first is rather sloppy at the editorial level.

There are numerous misspellings and a few factual errors in the text.

For me, these do mar an otherwise important piece of work, a work that is the first of its kind in print today. David made extensive use of the WSB Archives in the Berg Collection at the NYPL and unearthed material that has never before been made public.

If you can glide over the lack of careful proof-reading and fact-checking, it is a fascinating read.
    • Like Like x 5
  12. "lazy reporting" by David S. Wills

13. DeathHamster Member

14. Anonymous Member

15. wolfbane Member

FIFY.

Pity his editor didn't fix ^^That for him. But dude shouldn't be pissing and moaning about not getting fair mentions if it wasn't professionally put together. Literary snobs are snobby snobs.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

William S. Burroughs and Scientology: Setting the Record Straight

By Tony Ortega

We recently reached out to David Wills, author of a book on William S. Burroughs titled Scientologist!, telling him that we hadn’t noticed when it first hit bookshelves earlier this year, but it sounded like the kind of thing our readers might find fascinating.

He said he was interested in what we thought of the book, and after we read it, we had a conversation, which we’ve included below.

Continued with open comments at
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/10/08/william-s-burroughs-and-scientology-setting-the-record-straight/
    • Like Like x 2
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

David Wills strikes again, this time with Aldous Huxley

By Tony Ortega, May 21, 2017

Quote:

Literary critic David Wills is developing an interesting sub-genre all his own: He’s revealing the ways that traditional critics have ignored the influence Dianetics and Scientology had on some of literature’s greatest names.

In 2013, we had a brief interview with him about his book Scientologist!, in which he showed how much William Burroughs’s biographers were ignoring the author’s deep interest in Scientology and how it showed up in his work in the 1960s. By ignoring this part of Burroughs’s life, Wills argued, critics were missing some important ways to think about his books.

Now, Wills is back, making the same case for Aldous Huxley, author of Brave New World. In a smart essay, Wills explains that Huxley and his wife Maria, who were living in Los Angeles, fell under the spell of Dianetics when it came out in 1950, and even got processing from L. Ron Hubbard himself. After Maria died of cancer in 1955, Huxley continued to explore dianetics processing with his second wife, Laura, and included dianetics among the ideas he explores in his final novel, Island.

As with Burroughs, Wills says, critics have been missing out by not taking more seriously Huxley’s interest in Hubbard’s ideas: “They miss the fact that one of [Huxley’s] great preoccupations was dianetics.”

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2017/05/21/sc...orld-its-still-plotting-a-planetary-takeover/
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

William Burroughs at Scientology’s ‘Saint Hill Manor’ in 1968, before his discontent

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, March 9, 2019

Quote:

In 2013, we interviewed author David Wills about his book on William Burroughs, Scientologist! William S. Burroughs and the ‘weird cult’. He argued that Burroughs biographers tended to play down (or merely not understand) how deeply into Scientology Burroughs had been before famously falling away from it in scathing testimonials. We thought he put together a pretty compelling picture about Burroughs’ involvement in Scientology, which happened from 1959 to about 1969. In this excerpt from his book which Wills has generously agreed to share, we’ve taken a portion of the chapter when Burroughs was at his most enthusiastic, while at Saint Hill Manor in 1968.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2019/03/09/w...int-hill-manor-in-1968-before-his-discontent/