Customize

wireless routers in Iranian households

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Unregistered, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Anonymous.ir x__x Anonymous.ir x__x Anonymous.ir x__x Anonymous.ir x__x Anon

Anonymous is designing a communications system that will extend internet access to the streets in Iran at the time of protests and other civil action, to allow closer views of the recent allegations of human rights violations. The use of cameras, especially high quality cameras on the ground near the Basiji and IRG forces would allow a clearer view of what exactly Anonymous has been pitted against.

One phase of this project involves extending household internet access beyond its typical range, beyond the control of the Islamic Republic, and beyond the reach of brutality. Imagine an internet who's routers are carried by hand into the streets, creating a realtime web of humanity. The possibility of capturing detailed images of the GERDAB.IR infrastructure using this network is one of the primary goals of this project.

Anonymous is requesting the following information about common household network appliances used by the Iranian people:

Which wireless routers do you have if any?
    What type of RF connectors are on the routers? Pics?
    What webcams and laptops are in use?
    Do you have any GPS devices?

Thank you for your time and efforts.
  2. Srpska Member

Flagging for caution chaps
  3. Is there a no technological assistence clause that I missed? Sounds like an idea at least.
  4. If you don't know what you have:
    Read this site.

5. Anonymous.ir x__x Anonymous.ir x__x Anonymous.ir x__x Anonymous.ir x__x Anon

ناشناس در حال طراحی یک سیستم ارتباطی که دسترسی به اینترنت را به خیابان ها در ایران در آن زمان از تظاهرات و دیگر اقدام های مدنی گسترش ، اجازه می دهد تا از نزدیک مشاهده اتهامات اخیر در مورد نقض حقوق بشر است. استفاده از دوربین ، به خصوص دوربین های با کیفیت بالا بر روی زمین در نزدیکی به نیروهای بسیجی و IRG یک دیدگاه روشن تر از آنچه دقیقا ناشناس است که علیه حفره دار شده است استفاده می شود.

فاز یک این پروژه شامل توسعه دسترسی به اینترنت خانگی فراتر از محدوده عادی خود ، خارج از کنترل جمهوری اسلامی ایران ، و فراتر از دسترس و بی رحمی. تصور کنید یک روتر که به اینترنت توسط دست هستند را در خیابان ها به اجرا درآمد ، ایجاد یک وب realtime انسانیت. امکان گرفتن تصاویر دقیق از زیرساخت GERDAB.IR با استفاده از این شبکه یکی از اهداف اصلی این پروژه می باشد.

ناشناس است که درخواست اطلاعات زیر را در مورد لوازم خانگی شبکه مشترک استفاده شده توسط مردم ایران :

روتر بی سیم است که شما باید در صورت هر گونه؟
    چه نوع اتصالات RF در روترهای هستند؟ عکسهای؟
    چه webcams و لپ تاپ استفاده هستند؟
    آیا دستگاه جیپیاس؟

از شما به خاطر وقت و تلاش شما.

Thats an alpha translation, sorry. If you can correct it, please do so.
  6. Azad Member

Uhm, could you please elaborate a little more? I live in Iran and I hold a degree in computer sciences so I can help you, but, only if you convince me that you're not one of the basij or IRGC or ... (and you certainly have to try harder to achieve that, sorry).
  7. Anonymous.ir x__x Anonymous.ir x__x Anonymous.ir x__x Anonymous.ir x__x Anon

Anonymous is designing a communications system that will extend internet access to the streets in Iran at the time of protests and other civil action, to allow closer views of the recent allegations of human rights violations. The use of cameras, especially high quality cameras on the ground near the Basiji and IRG forces would allow a clearer view of what exactly Anonymous has been pitted against.

One phase of this project involves extending household internet access beyond its typical range, beyond the control of the Islamic Republic, and beyond the reach of brutality. Imagine an internet who's routers are carried by hand into the streets, creating a realtime web of humanity. The possibility of capturing detailed images of the GERDAB.IR infrastructure using this network is one of the primary goals of this project.

Anonymous is requesting the following information about common household network appliances used by the Iranian people:

Which wireless routers do you have if any?
    What type of RF connectors are on the routers? Pics?
    What webcams and laptops are in use?
    Do you have any GPS devices?

Thank you for your time and efforts.

IDK. If you are paranoid, get off the thread. Otherwise, begin divulging so planners can plan. Expect Us.
    [IMG]
  8. Dude you know this kind of info will compromise people?

What you wanna get is a general idea of what kind of tech people got at home. Statistics, not personal surveys like this.

You can expect cities to have high levels of tech.
  9. I can't get what is the project but I can inform you of some details!

IT Technology in Iran is like every other country out there but everything that needs support of the government have not got completed for a while!
    I mean we have everything for a private network but we don't have T1 and highspeed internet connections that much!

I personally use a linksys wrt54 and a Dlink on the dorm!
    I have a Macbook and a Vaio (some 3,4 year old model!)
    GPS devices are most likely to be new mobile phones cause other types of GPS devices in Iran or either pricy or shitty!
  10. Basically we're looking at stuff that's recent or a couple of years old for normal use, no extremely top-of-the-line tech.
  11. Peer to peer wireless over long distance (7KM)

Scroll down to the peer to peer wireless comment I posted earlier

http://iran.whyweprotest.net/keepin...-waste-local-secure-encrypted-networks-3.html

Make a Wireless Peer-to-Peer Connection

♠ Wireless Router & Repeater Kit

Do not discuss your methods with any one except with people you know and trust. Details of each segment of the network should be known to the fewest people possible, that way, if one segment is compromised, communications can be reconstituted. Do not discuss it here or the authorities will have an easier job to catch you.
  12. Azad Member

Oh, ok. Suit yourself.

And one piece of advice: Before accusing people in other continents of paranoia and trying to tell them how to think; grow up. And tell your "planners" instead of making plans for another nations, start planning on educating yourself.
  13. Mmm hmmmmmmm.
  14. I love the ambition here, but this thread project seems ridiculously doomed to go nowhere, even if it is honest. No, it seems retarded.

What is being proposed is not something that requires a "survey". Older wireless routers and transmitters just mean lower data transfer rates and reduced coverage.

You're proposing a network with floating connections (I can't remember what it's called officially), where you take your wifi device and make/lose connections with respect to the closest transmitter/router in range as you walk around an area/city.

You sound like you don't even know what you're suggesting, so it sounds pretty silly that a non technical non computer geek can tell you what it would be:
    iranian citizens who have wifi routers to set them to maximum power and open more connections. Since you suggest it should be done to give "iranians" more internet access, then without passwords or with widely known passwords.

Great, since there is no camera out there (that I know of) on sale anywhere that has a wifi connection for streaming video, at best you want people to keep a laptop hidden in their backpack, connected via a usb cable (visible to all) to a camera in their hand, and to essentially make these people their own live news network.

Why? Any website with streaming video would be attacked immediately if it became popular, and shut down. Youtube/blogs and similar and more than enough.

Any of these citizen reporters would be weighed down with a heavy laptop, draw attention to themselves if any basij saw a cable attached to their camera. And if what they were doing was discovered when, after stumbling, the laptop comically fell out of their jacket or purse, they would be for sure arrested and in great danger.

It's an exciting idea. And totally needless. Posting a video a couple of hours later at a home computer, in privacy, is totally adequate.
  15. and since you can't replace cell phone service when it's shut down.
    and when it isn't shut down, isn't a camera phone on a cell network also good enough?
  16. Ray Murphy Member

Yes of course.
    The only things that could be better would be (as I said a few weeks ago) the transmitting of audio from throw-away (if necessary) mini short-range transmitters with the audio being received and recorded from a nearby building or a safe distance. Old analogue video can be handled in the same way - so it wouldn't matter if the camera was smashed or discarded because the video would already have been captured and saved.
  17. Whatever you're planning, don't forget about wireless Internet cards (e.g. LaptopConnect). Those work with a variety of computer models, old and new.
  18. Ray Murphy Member

I have no idea what range (distance) is considered normal for wireless internet, or even if it's line-of-sight, but it sounds like mobile phones could transmit to a static receiver and recorder, or to a mobile receiver and recorder away from the main action in a protest rally. Any ideas anyone - or any experiments?
  19. Building a high-gain wireless antenna.

Building a 2.4GHz 10 Element Brass Yagi for Wireless Ethernet Application

Building a 2.4ghz

10 element brass yagi

for wireless Ethernet application

What started as an experiment has now become an obsession. Like yourself, I also wanted to increase the distance of my 802.11b wireless ethernet. I don't really have any use for doing such a thing, but the curiosity was there. So I began researching this topic and found some very interesting ideas and creations out there. Such as increasing the power of the transceiver and building antennas out of a Pringles can. In fact I have tried to build some of these creations myself and have gotten some interesting results. But for one thing, I never really understood how most of these designs worked. For that matter, how to further increase it's performance.

The Brass Yagi project presented here was my attempt on pursuing that long distance 802.11b wireless ethernet. It is one of probably many more different projects that I will be building in the future, just to satisfy my curiosity. This Brass Yagi is based on an output generated from a GWBASIC software called ANTDL6WU which is based on the workings of Guenter Hock (DL6WU). A copy of which can be downloaded from here or here.

I had originally created this antenna using a coat hanger (see Hanger Yagi). Each of the elements were soldered to the boom that was made out of the same material and diameter as the elements itself. The problem with this is that the elements did not really stay in place. The elements were not fully secure on the boom, that when the antenna was accidentally dropped, the elements would break off. Imagine what a strong gust of wind could do to it. I guess it was the material of the coat hanger or the type of solder used was the cause of the problem. So I redesigned it using different materials. This time I used brass as materials.

Why brass you say? I had thought of using aluminum, like most antennas are made from, but I can only think of one easy way to attach the elements to the boom. That is to spot weld it. I am now in the process of saving money for a good cheap welder. In the mean time I'll use what is available to me.

The brass material was an alternative to aluminum since soldering lead to it was possible. I used a 7/32" hollow Square Brass Tube as the boom and a 3/32" Brass Round Tube as elements. I then inserted and soldered wire solder through the hollow opening of the boom to secure the elements.

A majority of the tools and materials used for this project can easily be obtained from many home improvement stores. Some special tools like a rotary tool and a drill press is suggested and recommended, but I'm sure you'll find a way around this.

--snip--

Save this page. Geocities will be shutting down in the near future and pages will no longer be available.
  20. Ray Murphy Member

What a great web page with such fine detail. I've saved a copy of it. Did you do most of this experimenting just recently?

As I was reading through it and seeing all the detail I was thinking that maybe engineers and technicians might be able to organize some brilliant protest rallies!

I'll get back after absorbing what you've put on the website and found out something about wireless internet. I still haven't read about the basics of it.
  21. Ray Murphy Member

Venezuelans set new WiFi distance record: 237 miles

[See pic on this website]
  22. I don't understand. How will you capture the infrastructure of Gerdab.ir if Gerdab is a police network contained in a (guarded) building. Even if you get inside the building, how will you capture the computer network? Take pictures of cables running down the hallways? Take a picture of their router?
  23. Ray Murphy Member

Fascinating!
    I can see now what a cantenna is -- a can-antenna :D

The main issue for the protestors is really the transmission of audio or video from people on the streets to a relatively safe place in the general area, so valuable electronic information cannot be confiscated or destroyed by mad baton-wielding basijis.

It would seem that because UHF CB is so rare, then mobile phones would be the next best short range transmitter of audio, but only if scanners are available to capture it (for recording). If that is too hard, then maybe the old discarded analogue mobile phones would be a good idea because their signals were easy to intercept years ago.
  24. EFG has you gerdaborg surrounded, contained, and besieged.

EFG is EFG.
  25. Direct, and an aside:

(1) folks might benefit from being aware of the possibilities available with passive repeaters - there are some nice articles on the Internet about getting over hilltops, around corners, through curvie (sp?) valleys, etc.

(2) there should be a single instruction folder/webpage/booklet in Farsi and English (with lots of images - pix worth 1k wrds) for rapid/efficient dissemination of key jump-start/quick-start information which includes info like key links, DIY WiFi stuff, A.H.'s stuff, etc, etc - all stuff that passes a Kerckhoff type test (i.e. it won't by any compromise for the enemy to know this stuff - no sensitive specifics)
  26. Ray Murphy Member

Yes, back-to-back antennae that don't need electrical power.

* Laptops to buildings (during protests etc)
    * Hand-held radio transmitters (during protests etc)
    * Digital mobiles reaching outside 'dead' areas during protests
    * Old analogue phones as transmitters (possible??)
    * PC to PC over longer distances (without internet interception)
  27. Using high-gain antennas to prevent inteception

High gain antennas transmit in a relatively narrow beam. A 24 db gain Yagi has a beam of about 8 degrees. The gain increases the ERP (effective radiated power) so that much less transmitter power is requires to transmit a given distance. This also allows the use of inexpensive high-loss coaxial cable and reasonable computer to antenna distances.

In built-up areas, using low ERP with high gain antennas that are concealed, limits the exposure to hostile interception. Limiting on-air time is also a good idea.
  28. Ray Murphy Member

It would be good if experimenters outside Iran started providing examples of this sort of thing.
  29. parapet 102

In fact, low-power transmitters in an urban environment are more difficult to detect than in open country because the noise floor in built-up areas is much higher.

I've done signals intercepts in that part of the World and the cities, especially the older parts of town and industrial areas are very difficult to work in because of all of the electrical noise from machinery and badly maintained vehicles. Someone with a Spectrum Analyzer can determine this easily.
  30. Ray Murphy Member

What about using short-range transmissions to ordinary FM radios that people are often carrying anyway? Perhaps the speeches on Friday can be captured from outside with a shotgun microphone and transmitted by FM? The same could be done routinely in relation basiji movements.
  31. Bluetooth wireless networks

No privacy. The authorities can listen-in.

Here's something better and on-topic:

Bluetooth is a wireless protocol for exchanging data over short distances from fixed and mobile devices, creating personal area networks (PANs). It was originally conceived as a wireless alternative to RS232 data cables. It can connect several devices, overcoming problems of synchronization.

Code to Show Mobile Bluetooth Address
    Enter on your Nokia Phone *#2820# to display Bluetooth address of your device.

Bluetooth PAN profile - Forum Nokia Wiki

Bluetooth PAN profile
    From Forum Nokia Wiki

Nokia’s Bluetooth® enabled devices can organize networks according PAN profile. The payloads from other networking protocols can be encapsulated into BNEP protocol packets.

Phones can participate in network in different roles as PAN users, NAPs (network access points) and Group Ad-hocs participants.
  32. Ray Murphy Member

[Ray]: What about using short-range transmissions to ordinary FM radios that people are often carrying anyway? Perhaps the speeches on Friday can be captured from outside with a shotgun microphone and transmitted by FM? The same could be done routinely in relation basiji movements.

Yes, that was the whole idea - so everyone can listen to FM until all frequencies are jammed.
  33. Ray Murphy Member

If it cannot transmit for 500 metres it wouldn't be of much use in protest situations.
  34. Bluetooth is very useful

It's been used effectively in US protests to share pics among a group, that way, if a camera gets confiscated or the police order the user to delete the pictures, they have already been transmitted to others in the group.

It can also connect to a computer set up as a relay to retransmit it to a network or the Internet.

It's all up to the imagination of the users.

FM is so passe....

And Bluetooth can connect to wireless networks.
  35. Ray Murphy Member

It sounds good - sharing very valuable pics - but can they be transmitted to other mobiles automatically while people are running down the street?
  36. Ray Murphy Member

Ordinary FM can be heard by thousands of people with radios on the streets. Can this be organized easily with Bluetooth?
  37. Also:

(1) consider concept of utilizing near-field reception of AM radio transmitted via power lines - serve attenuation (filtering) at transformers can be an issue.

(2) powerine communications in general (inculding BBPL) - see link

Power line communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(3) consider that many people in middle east have SW radios

(4) crude transmitters can be very simple to build and operate

(5) is anybody cataloging and selecting this stuff for dissemination - yes - of course -